Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm glad you suckers watched that hunk of poo poo so I didn't have to :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Field Mousepad posted:

I'm glad you suckers watched that hunk of poo poo so I didn't have to :smug:

yay, you avoided a fun thing

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I really like this season. Just finished Ep7. So far:
* Davos, Ward and Joy are all great.
* Colleen and Misty are both amazing.
* Finn Jones is way better; Danny still isn’t great but he’s ok; some goofy charisma shines though occasionally and the flaws seem to me to be in the writing more than his performance. * Danny and Colleen are quite sweet together.

It certainly gets the award for “most improved”, though.

E: except why would they gently caress up so much basic Chinese pronunciation? It’s not like it’s hard to find mandarin or canto speakers.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 12, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have literally never watched anything with somebody speaking [INSERT LANGUAGE HERE] in it that didn't have at least one post in TVIV complaining about how ATROCIOUS the pronunciation was. Now multiply that by the rest of the internet. So, you can attempt to please a group of people that will absolutely never be satisfied no matter how many concessions you make, or you can let the actors listen to their lines phonetically a few times and get what you get. The internet will complain regardless.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ok one thing I really liked was Colleen showed a weakness to sweeps and then she busts out a sweet flying arm bar when she gets swept after the training montage.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
So that's two seasons of Iron Fist, a show about a man who gains mystical powers by fighting a dragon, and we still haven't seen a loving dragon. We have seen poo poo loads of business meetings and addiction groups though.

I really liked quite a bit of this season, even if the pacing and editing choices were all over the place, but they really need to lean more into the mystical comic book stuff. It's Iron Fist.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Don't forget that this world features a skinny kid drugged into a taller and muscled WW2 hero, a playboy with flying suits, inter-dimensional beings, a 99% bulletproof kingpin, a guy who calls himself The Kingpin, a detective with a fully articulated cyborg forearm+hand, resurrection from death, loving magic... and the dragon is the one thing the writing staff clings to as why Danny is an idiot dreamer.

Fire the entire writers room. They're the weakest link.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I assume it is mostly a matter of not having the budget to do a dragon that doesn’t look awful, that is not exactly cheap.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, look at the dude. If he goes "I hella punched a dragon, bro", you're not buying it regardless of how much insane poo poo you've seen.

Also they're not doing the mystical poo poo because budget. I thought we all accepted that a while ago.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This would be the perfect show of the Netflix Marvel shows to do an anime flashback story, ala Kill Bill. A 3 minute animation featuring Danny fighting a dragon would be totally fine and has to be way cheaper than the alternative of filming it in live action.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 13, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Colleen and Misty buddy-cop series now please

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

filming it in love action.

:heysexy: you sure you want the anime?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quote-Unquote posted:

Colleen and Misty buddy-cop series now please

Knight-Wing
Carbon Fibre Fist and Iron Fist Investigations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rocksicles posted:

Knight-Wing
Carbon Fibre Fist and Iron Fist Investigations.

Isn't their comic book "daughters of the dragon" or some such?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
A case of the week show about a female cyborg former cop and a swordswoman who open a private detective agency and occasionally get help from their well-meaning but less competent bulletproof/martial artist mercenary friends sounds like way more entertaining TV than what’s happening here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

I dunno... probably. That's outside of my Marvel knowlege.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azhais posted:

Well, it's more like their nickname. Coined by Davos, interestingly enough.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Omnomnomnivore posted:

A case of the week show about a female cyborg former cop and a swordswoman who open a private detective agency and occasionally get help from their well-meaning but less competent bulletproof/martial artist mercenary friends sounds like way more entertaining TV than what’s happening here.

Add Foggy as their high strung lawyer and I'm in.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Colleen is the street smart girl with local connections.
Misty is the hard boiled former detective.
Elektra is the bored heiress bankrolling the operation.
and Jessica Jones is Jessica Jones.

Book it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wanna know what happened to Danny between Luke Cage s2 and the beginning of Iron Fist s2.

He was so chill and centered. I could watch that Danny Rand forever.

Come IF2, he's off again.

Overall, season 2 was a huge improvement. I don't get Joy's motivation, though.

Davos and his mother make me think that Danny being such weak Iron Fist is just a symptom of a larger issue: that somehow K'un Lun is corrupt at its core. Or maybe they never really recovered from losing the members that would become The Hand.

Maybe the real secret of K'un Lun is that it is filled with a bunch of powerful morons, so they took Danny in right away.

Danny is an incredible combination of impetuousness and naivete. They aren't necessarily bad- it just has to be written a lot better. On the other hand I get the feeling that the other choice of writing the character would have been total arrogance and feeling like he's owed some birthright- kind of like Davos.

Season 1 was just really bad. But I'm ok with Danny being a little behind the curve as long as he's the seemingly centered and chill dude he was in that episode of Luke Cage.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I maintain the best Danny Rand ever was, was the first 60 seconds of the first episode of the first season.

Barefoot zen calm kungfoo guy looking like a homeless person effortlessly moving aside a couple guards.

They should have kept that Danny around.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

I maintain the best Danny Rand ever was, was the first 60 seconds of the first episode of the first season.

Barefoot zen calm kungfoo guy looking like a homeless person effortlessly moving aside a couple guards.

They should have kept that Danny around.
Same here. I had hoped it would be like a superhero version of that movie the Fisher King: he’s a crazy homeless guy and his whole K’un L’un thing was his delusion... but it made him a pretty gallant albeit tragic noble figure. Like a modern day Man of La Mancha or Quest of Iranon. It would have been a nice way to shine a spotlight the inequalities of the classes in our modern world as well as humanise a people often ignored or marginalised. We, of course, did not get that. If he had a mental illness it would also explain why a supposed master of Kung Fu sucks at Kung Fu. Really if these shows stay low budget focusing on the social commentary aspect might be the way to go.

I tried to watch the show but only lasted two eps. Wil definitely still give Daredevil and Punisher a go. I bloody well loved the Punisher.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

Book it.

Danny can be Master Splinter.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Danny can be Master Splinter.

Jessica Jones IS cool, but rude.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
This season was decent. Not great, but pretty enjoyable. It felt like Finn Jones finally leaned into being Danny Rand, he was tons and tons better this season than in season 1, I need a whole show of Misty and Colleen teaming up together, and I also honestly thought Wards plot line this season was the strongest. Tom Pelphrey is real good at playing a huge smarmy rear end in a top hat who is still somehow likeable and somewhat tragic. It definitely benefited from being shorter, but there were still some weird pacing problems within, and while I think Joy and Davos's motivations were both fine, any time Joy and Davos interacted with each other in the beginning it felt flat. Either way, not bad, will definitely watch the third season

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Lol 616 cop code.

“Suspect with abilities” i’m not gonna lie I got a good laugh about that

Edit: Ward Meachum is also probably the most interesting, if not the most sympathetic or likeable, character in the MCU tv shows. He is very interesting if not always sympathetic.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 14, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

Book it.

As Nero Danced posted:

Add Foggy as their high strung lawyer and I'm in.

I'm sad that this will never exist because it is the best idea

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm constantly annoyed that all of these shows include scenes where a main character needs to track someone or find someone or learn more and loving nobody even picks up the phone to contact Jessica Jones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whalley posted:

I'm constantly annoyed that all of these shows include scenes where a main character needs to track someone or find someone or learn more and loving nobody even picks up the phone to contact Jessica Jones.

They're not that interconnected, dude.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Whalley posted:

I'm pretty sure she offered to help some of them and they said "no, gently caress you, this is my problem to handle". Like they do for all of the characters where they cameo.

It's why Luke Cage accepting Danny's help raiding drug building was a nice change, even if Danny was still boring as gently caress.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just over half way through Iron Fist Season 2 and goddamn, Colleen and Misty are the two best things about this season thus far.

Props to the writers for improving Danny Rand by leaps and bounds but the two women are easily the best thing about this show at the moment.

Also, the fight scenes are on point. Big step up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AndyElusive posted:

the two women are easily the best thing about this show at the moment.

Pretty much all of the women in all of the Marvel shows have been awesome. Maria in Luke Cage was amazing, and the interactions between her and Misty were HOLY gently caress levels of entertaining.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They try to call Jess but it's always when she's too hungover to pick up the phone.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Whalley posted:

If it's taking more than an hour to find someone, may as well call her. It's not like Danny can't afford her rate, she's already heard about the mystic kung fu, and it's not like she can't help.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

They're not that interconnected, dude.
well they should be :mad:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whalley posted:

well they should be :mad:

Sorry but this is the Marvel Netflix Universe.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Sorry but this is the Marvel Netflix Universe.
well its dumb :mad:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In universe it’s dumb because everyone except Danny is better friends with actual cops than with JJ, and she doesn’t EVER present us with anything indicating she knows how to investigate things at above a college research project level.

Murdoch is basically a human bloodhound, Luke can find anyone just by basically asking around on the right corner because of hero status and the Netflix MCU’s insistence that every black person in the city is hip to the 411 at all times, and Danny is the richest, whitest guy in the city, he could have an entire police battalion at his disposal if he wanted.

Also Matt is actually a good lawyer, which episodes of JJ show off her being an actual good PI?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't really like Misty, she is not as annoying as in Luke Cage, but I still wouldn't mind if the character just got written out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JJ never needed to be a good PI. She just needs to be good enough. Also she has a rep for being a super.