Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

mastershakeman posted:

I'l be interviewing with a solo for a job I don't want but feel pressured to take and am 100% sure that I'll be told all about this and how thats so hard and that's why the position will pay half of what I make right now but The Experience is Invaluable

Actually instead of woe is me, what's the best substance to relax with when I've had high blood pressure for years (brought on during my period where I was in great shape and working out a ton on gymnastics and using a substance I thought was safe until it got banned by the fda, woops) ? Beer? Whiskey? Weed?

Propranolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I'l be interviewing with a solo for a job I don't want but feel pressured to take and am 100% sure that I'll be told all about this and how thats so hard and that's why the position will pay half of what I make right now but The Experience is Invaluable

Actually instead of woe is me, what's the best substance to relax with when I've had high blood pressure for years (brought on during my period where I was in great shape and working out a ton on gymnastics and using a substance I thought was safe until it got banned by the fda, woops) ? Beer? Whiskey? Weed?

Emails

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just drink whiskey and hey, if you die, you die.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This job is loving awful.

The judges are awful, the clients are awful and the attorneys are awful.

They all go out of their way to make things so loving hard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In the navy that’s known as a happiness transfer. Navy nukes figured out that nuclear engines run on happiness. Happiness is a finite resource and the engines need a constant supply drained from the watchteam in order to operate. The operators can only replenish their own happiness by taking away joy from anyone else they can. Thus a cycle of shittiness perpetuates itself so the engines can keep running.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Longtime lurker, very occasional poster.

So I have no legal experience (mainly I lurk the thread to see how drunk and broken I would've become had a young me gone to law school because he's "good at writing" and "likes arguing") but have worked in random legal-adjacent fields like bail bonding (seriously) and collections and process serving. I'm out of work and randomly fired a resume at a state job for a Trial Assistant with the prosecutor's office in Bumfuck, Louisiana because it sounded interesting. They called me today and want me to interview and I figure city/county job in Cajun country sounds boring but also extremely weird and depressing, so right up my alley.

Tips for impressing a prosecutor's office staff? I know the words to "With Catlike Tread" but that's more of a pirate song. And maybe AR can tell me how she likes her jackboots licked?

Also, the Jew question, do I mention my wife's Jewish right away or slip it in towards the end?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 13, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

All the lawyers care about is your ability to organize a binder, hth.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

So I have no legal experience (mainly I lurk the thread to see how drunk and broken I would've become had a young me gone to law school because he's "good at writing" and "likes arguing") but have worked in random legal-adjacent fields like bail bonding (seriously) and collections and process serving. I'm out of work and randomly fired a resume at a state job for a Trial Assistant with the prosecutor's office in Bumfuck, Louisiana because it sounded interesting. They called me today and want me to interview and I figure city/county job in Cajun country sounds boring but also extremely weird and depressing, so right up my alley.

Tips for impressing a prosecutor's office staff? I know the words to "With Catlike Tread" but that's more of a pirate song. And maybe AR can tell me how she likes her jackboots licked?

Also, the Jew question, do I mention my wife's Jewish right away or slip it in towards the end?

How deep in Cajun country are we talking here, like Lafayette? Houma? Morgan City? Crowley?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

New Iberia. Put in a good word for me if you know anyone. The Clerk was just indicted for theft, racketeering, and other fun charges.

I make good binders.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 13, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

New Iberia. Put in a good word for me if you know anyone. The Clerk was just indicted for theft, racketeering, and other fun charges.

I make good binders.

Not in New Iberia, sorry. But pretty sure if you can talk LSU football and/or baseball you’re probably in good shape in any interview.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'm from NOLA originally so that much I can do.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Ask for Mr. Ayak, he works at the prosecutor's office in Louisiana and will hook you up.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Unamuno posted:

Ask for Mr. Ayak, he works at the prosecutor's office in Louisiana and will hook you up.

Mr. Akai says hai

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Okay so leave out the Jewish thing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
You’re in horn country there. As in people still believe Jewish people have horns to file down.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Look up your interviewers family on social media and ask how they're doing. Say you met them years ago at a party or some poo poo

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Look up your interviewers family on social media and ask how they're doing. Say you met them years ago at a party or some poo poo

If there are any pics of their relatives in bikinis, be sure to leave a Like.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tips for impressing a prosecutor's office staff?

i had someone tell me an extremely specific account of her ex-husband bribing the judge in their (cajun country) divorce case by giving him coolers full of crawfish and game, I bet that'd be a good strategy

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Lote posted:

You’re in horn country there. As in people still believe Jewish people have horns to file down.

God when I was at the public defender's office in Plaquemines one of the attorneys bought me lunch and then talked about how the Jews did 9/11 the entire hour.

Fucker's the parish president now.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like money, everything else is secondary

then you should've gotten an mba, you hippie

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

uberkeyzer posted:

her family's gonna be kinda upset when he's released since they dont get to see grandma anymore. also his family is also probably going to be kinda upset since they don't want him living in their house after he stabbed an old lady to death. do you have any space on your couch?

A choose your own adventure? Stabbin' Joe Couches Cause Y'all Are Basic or Perfectly Fine System Where Nothing Is Systemically Bad?

Well golly! I love this game!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Yeah but if you think about it, everyone is going to die eventually so killing somebody is really just taking an indeterminate amount of their already limited existence away, so its NBD REALLY

Hey I found someone who has space on his couch.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Who the gently caress can stand listening to that poo poo? It's horrible. Even dubstep is less annoying.

Hey I found someone who hasn't hooked up with that 7 from the bar.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

homullus posted:

Judge Booty?

Shame on this thread for ignoring this post.

---

And I'm caught up. See y'all in four months.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Green Crayons posted:

Shame on this thread for ignoring this post.

---

And I'm caught up. See y'all in four months.

I didn’t ignore it. I started prepping my pitchbook already.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Green Crayons posted:

Hey I found someone who hasn't hooked up with that 7 from the bar.

I don't understand what this means. What's a 7 in metric?

Anyway, gently caress boomers as clients. The loving entitlement of these people.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

I don't understand what this means. What's a 7 in metric?

Anyway, gently caress boomers as clients. The loving entitlement of these people.

My younger clients just bring their boomer parents anyways who then get very offended when I have to explain what the presence of a third party does to attorney-client privilege.

The end result of helicopter parenting is apparently trying to push around your adult child’s lawyer as your precious baby boy deals with his third meth charge.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Eminent Domain posted:

God when I was at the public defender's office in Plaquemines one of the attorneys bought me lunch and then talked about how the Jews did 9/11 the entire hour.

Fucker's the parish president now.

Was their name something like Herbert Moon IV?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Are they also considered “Boomers” in Norway? I thought that was just our thing?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

yronic heroism posted:

Are they also considered “Boomers” in Norway? I thought that was just our thing?

Every country that fought in WW2 had a baby boom when it ended.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

yronic heroism posted:

Bigly. Colloquially known as the ""dessert generation", they are the very numerous descendants of the war generation. Enjoying unprecedented wealth after oil and 80s inflation obliterating most debt as well as getting mostly free educations, they voted in right wing government after right wing government to reduce taxes, eliminate inheritance tax (for them, effectively), bloated housing prices to obscene levels, reducing their pension age while increasing ours and strangled young housebuyers by instituting capital requrements for housing loans locking a good portion of millennials out of the market. Now, they've even successfully sold our infinite water power to europe to extract more wealth from our loving natural resources.

Nowadays they are whining about immigrants and not having grandkids. Fuckers. While my generation is nowhere remotely as screwed here as in the US, the massive gulf in opportunities, starting wealth and political power is staggeringly huge. I just hope the inheritance tax doesn't come back until I've inherited, because the boomers croaking will for 90% of the country be the single largest relative transfer of wealth in our history.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

I guess Norway technically fought for a bit.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

GamingHyena posted:

My younger clients just bring their boomer parents anyways who then get very offended when I have to explain what the presence of a third party does to attorney-client privilege.

The end result of helicopter parenting is apparently trying to push around your adult child’s lawyer as your precious baby boy deals with his third meth charge.

That's so familiar my eye twitched a little. Literally that was me last week.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess Norway technically fought for a bit.

We technically had the most effective resistance out of all the countries. It's a fascinating bit of history.

E: You were thinking of the swedes, those guys nazi collaborated the gently caress out of themselves.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GamingHyena posted:

This is basically public defendering in a nutshell.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

We technically had the most effective resistance out of all the countries. It's a fascinating bit of history.

E: You were thinking of the swedes, those guys nazi collaborated the gently caress out of themselves.

Well no, the Swedes did not fight at all. I am thinking specifically of the Quisling regime, the lightning 2-month conquest of Norway, and the rapid integration of the country into the Nazi regime as an occupied state and economic vassal.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Norway also had a smaller population than the number of people Germany had under arms in 1939/1940 and relative to population had the greatest ratio of occupiers/occupied in Europe. Right up until April 1945 Hitler kept more than 200,000 troops in Norway.

They also, unlike the Danes, fought for more than 6 hours.

Norwegians are hardcore.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the other hand you had a guy who was such a collaborationist traitor his name has become a word meaning that, which is a neat bit of trivia

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

I mean more in a cultural sense than demographic, though these are linked and I guess most places have their share of lovely old people.

Bigly. Colloquially known as the ""dessert generation", they are the very numerous descendants of the war generation. Enjoying unprecedented wealth after oil and 80s inflation obliterating most debt as well as getting mostly free educations, they voted in right wing government after right wing government to reduce taxes, eliminate inheritance tax (for them, effectively), bloated housing prices to obscene levels, reducing their pension age while increasing ours and strangled young housebuyers by instituting capital requrements for housing loans locking a good portion of millennials out of the market. Now, they've even successfully sold our infinite water power to europe to extract more wealth from our loving natural resources.

Nowadays they are whining about immigrants and not having grandkids. Fuckers. While my generation is nowhere remotely as screwed here as in the US, the massive gulf in opportunities, starting wealth and political power is staggeringly huge. I just hope the inheritance tax doesn't come back until I've inherited, because the boomers croaking will for 90% of the country be the single largest relative transfer of wealth in our history.

Makes sense. Do you have a lot of young chuds these days like the US and most European countries I read about?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Norwegians are hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kkgIe1TI5k