Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh hey, I just had an issue getting my P2XL to charge that was fixed by a reboot, too. Why the gently caress is the OS involved in the charging circuitry, anyway?
Negotiating power draw with the charger, I'd guess...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

USB-PD is being handled natively by the USB-C Port Manager kernel level OS module. Charging isn't being handled from within Android code at all.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

USB-PD is being handled natively by the USB-C Port Manager kernel level OS module. Charging isn't being handled from within Android code at all.

It was fun when it was completely broken on my 2XL during I believe the DP3 beta update. Phone would trickle charge at like 100mw and nothing more.

Flashed the OTA then the Full Image and it still didn't do anything different. Flashed a custom Kernel and everything was back to normal. No Idea how the hell something like that could go out that broken, and even more odd being one of the few with that issue.

Luckily DP4/5 etc all seem to be normal again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man just from an esthetic and screen standpoint I really want me one of those new iPhone xs or xr so Google better loving step it up

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Not gonna lie that XR looks pretty hot

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Calaveron posted:

Man just from an esthetic and screen standpoint I really want me one of those new iPhone xs or xr so Google better loving step it up

I would've been willing to jump ship if it was a 120hz pro-motion screen but it's not

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

logikv9 posted:

I would've been willing to jump ship if it was a 120hz pro-motion screen but it's not

Is the 3 gonna have that?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Is the 3 gonna have that?

Lol, no

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So many video streams are encoded at wrong framerates anyways, so the 120hz screen seems of limited utility for anything outside of iTunes and Netflix.

The biggest Xr feature I want is vibrant back colors

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So many video streams are encoded at wrong framerates anyways, so the 120hz screen seems of limited utility for anything outside of iTunes and Netflix.

The biggest Xr feature I want is vibrant back colors

Seriously, meanwhile Google will probably have black, white, and some gimmicky but still dull color with a stupid name

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How do you people not put your phone in a case right away anyways :psyduck:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm getting my Pixel 2 replaced for the second time. Both times the problem has been that the charger doesn't make good contact with the phone's charging pins. Am I doing something wrong? It charges every time at first, and gradually gets more picky about charging the phone over months of use. Happens with the included charging cable or a third-party cable, too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

We do..... Clear cases are a thing though.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm getting my Pixel 2 replaced for the second time. Both times the problem has been that the charger doesn't make good contact with the phone's charging pins. Am I doing something wrong? It charges every time at first, and gradually gets more picky about charging the phone over months of use. Happens with the included charging cable or a third-party cable, too.

I'll admit, with about 4 1st Gen Pixels, and my 6P, a few misc test devices, and my 2XL now, I have never once had an issue with USB-C charging due to connection. Are you checking for lint buildup inside the port or anything? There should be no reason you are having this issue unless you are yanking the cable at an angle or something else is getting jammed in there.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 13, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because gently caress cases.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Because gently caress cases.

I cant get over this inconsistency. Literally yesterday (+) vs today

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

I cant get over this inconsistency. Literally yesterday (+) vs today

Uh. Surprise. The day you use snapchat more, your battery tanks.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'll admit, with about 4 1st Gen Pixels, and my 6P, a few misc test devices, and my 2XL now, I have never once had an issue with USB-C charging due to connection. Are you checking for lint buildup inside the port or anything? There should be no reason you are having this issue unless you are yanking the cable at an angle or something else is getting jammed in there.

I cleaned the port with a dry q-tip and it didn't seem to improve things. Maybe I'm yanking it horribly and not noticing? I'll be out of warranty soon so I have to make this third one last.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'll be out of warranty soon so I have to make this third one last.

No Pixel 2 is out of warranty until October 2019.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh. Surprise. The day you use snapchat more, your battery tanks.

3 minutes usage. And that was the good day!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Here's my hot take Inbox sucks and I'm glad they merk'd it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

vyst posted:

Here's my hot take Inbox sucks and I'm glad they merk'd it.

I never liked it either but I figured that I just didn't get it. I used it for maybe 2 days and then went back to regular gmail.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Got a security update last night. Today I was browsing on my phone and noticed my battery icon was red.

What the gently caress, Google? No, I do not want battery saver to automatically turn on at 99%.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That's happening to me today too, wtf

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I thought I had just butt activated it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh heh, I just noticed. Why? The last security update was days ago, and it didn't happen then.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Took me a little bit to notice it, my haptic feedback on typing/navigation had stopped and I assumed someone had broken. Definitely didn't butt activate it, because it turned on while I was using the Awful app, with the phone very much unlocked.

Did some dev accidentally upload their personal configuration in the build or something

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha I've been looking at all the vibrate options in Settings wondering what the gently caress is wrong. My Pixel 2 has stopped vibrating, at all, except the little buzz when you switch it on. I've got the red battery icon too.

Google! Stop loving everything up!

[e] Battery saver at 99%? The gently caress?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AI loving with our settings. Great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Weird, I was all "that didn't happen to me", then battery saver randomly turned on and the setting is at 99%. It was fine up until a few minutes ago.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Uthor posted:

Weird, I was all "that didn't happen to me", then battery saver randomly turned on and the setting is at 99%. It was fine up until a few minutes ago.

Is this happening to people with Android P?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Same here on P2XL.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sure enough, just hit me on a 2XL.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is this happening to people with Android P?

I have Android P and it happened to me this morning (Pixel 1 XL). Couldn't tell you if it's limited to P, though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

it's spreading :tinfoil:

Seriously though i updated this morning and it didn't do the battery saver thing until an hour ago. Weird.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Just checked and it was set on my 2XL as well. :|

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Um. I haven't updated yet but I also have the 99% turn on as well. WTF Google!? AI making sure it can last as long as possible within the next 24hrs?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pontypool but it just makes people's phones go into battery saver mode.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I just got it on my Essential. What the gently caress, Google!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

incogneato posted:

I have Android P and it happened to me this morning (Pixel 1 XL). Couldn't tell you if it's limited to P, though.

I'm on 8.1 on my Oneplus 3T and I'm not getting this issue just let. I'll let you guys know if it pops up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm on 8.1 on my Oneplus 3T and I'm not getting this issue just let. I'll let you guys know if it pops up though.

Save yourself... grab your bug out bag and go. It's coming for you.