Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

every bad idea that people have about improving Pokemon is currently being played out in Pokemon Reborn

Is that the one where you have to overthrow a dictator or the one where your dead mom is the cover legendary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lezard_valeth posted:

Is that the one where you have to overthrow a dictator or the one where your dead mom is the cover legendary?

dead mom is Uranium, and I have no idea about the dictator one

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i will never let the pokemon sage dream die

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

lezard_valeth posted:

Reborn is the one based on an internet RP where everyone is a gigantic rear end in a top hat, and patches make the difficulty "more hardcore".

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schubalts posted:

Reborn is the one based on an internet RP where everyone is a gigantic rear end in a top hat, and patches make the difficulty "more hardcore".

Pokemon is definitely the best example, except for maybe the Power Rangers reboot movie, of why it is for the best that franchises do not grow up with their audience. I've never read the summary for a fanmade Pokemon game that wasn't poo poo like this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Carlosologist posted:

dead mom is Uranium, and I have no idea about the dictator one

Pokécry 4?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah I can dig that. I used a team of guys I thought were cool in HeartGold and I'd definitely do the same going forward. Alolan Sandslash is a slam dunk for my team unless his stats are abominable. Shoot I used Butterfree in Blue when I was a kid.

Butterfree was good in gen 1.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Siets posted:

Ahh yesss... Hmmm... *smacks lips*

Mainline Pokemon, the Caviar of Gaming. Adults only please.

gently caress off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Kids haven't been buying Pokemon games like they used to so using a popular mobile game like Go as a backdoor to bring kids into the series proper makes perfect sense you loving creep.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Also you get the parents who were into Pokemon when they were kids. Help your kid catch that Venonat by chucking a second ball alongside theirs. Is the extra boost necessary to get that Venonat in you box? Probably not. But the important thing is that you did it together.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Gen 7 is definitely a better experience than Gen 3 and 4 if you aren't nostalgic for them.

This but extend it to gens 1 and 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the dead mom's not the Pokemon in Uranium, she's just the bad guy controlling the legendary after losing her mind from radiation exposure.

Her bad guy name is CURIE

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^
Are any of these fangames good? Between Dead/Crazymom, completely unbalanced new mons (clearly designed for a competitive niche), and terrorist organizations I just want one that's like...fuckin Pokemon man.

I know the romhacks are said to be good.

Siets posted:

Ahh yesss... Hmmm... *smacks lips*

Mainline Pokemon, the Caviar of Gaming. Adults only please.

Don't pull anything reaching.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Crystal clear is okay, it's Crystal without really needing hms much. It has like no story so I guess that's why it works better then reborn and uranium

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pokemon sage is still being developed last i heard and for all intents and purposes it's pretty much a relatively normal deal with good fanmade pokemon

Countblanc posted:

i will never let the pokemon sage dream die

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
we all know the best pokemon fangame is pokemon quartz

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The best hacks are Pokemon Snakewood and Pokemon Dark Rising, because both of them will make you go "Yeah, I'm not planning fan games anymore."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Takoluka posted:

The best hacks are Pokemon Snakewood and Pokemon Dark Rising, because both of them will make you go "Yeah, I'm not planning fan games anymore."

Reborn should have the same effect, even moreso if you're acquaintanced with the backstory behind that game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The correct answer is of course Vietnamese Crystal

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reborn should have the same effect, even moreso if you're acquaintanced with the backstory behind that game.

Do tell!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Blaze Dragon posted:

...go on.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah I can dig that. I used a team of guys I thought were cool in HeartGold and I'd definitely do the same going forward. Alolan Sandslash is a slam dunk for my team unless his stats are abominable. Shoot I used Butterfree in Blue when I was a kid.

I personally enjoyed Moon more than Ultra Moon--the new stuff in Ultra is pretty minimal unless you're digging deep into post-game, and they ruined the climax of the story

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

omnibobb posted:

...go on.

We could tell you, or you could go have a read of OFS' ongoing Let's Play of the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Basically, Reborn is based on an already-existing RP, and the people involved in it. This means a lot of things for the game, including you, the player, having no role whatsoever in the plot, but more importantly: everyone, every single person, involved in the Reborn RP clearly had serious issues that needed therapy really badly, and instead they got an echo chamber where they could make each other worse. This led to bad things, and the game's creator, Amethyst, decided to have said bad things in the game.

This includes a person commiting suicide, and one passing away due to illness. These are meant to be "tributes" to the people involved. They are not done with the subtlety needed for this. The suicidal person is immediately mocked, an event that would be disgusting in and of itself without knowing that, through a character, Amethyst is directly mocking a person who killed himself - even worse, his own daughter was part of the RP as well. The passing-away person is nothing but an annoyance to the player, constantly getting in the way of them saving a bunch of people, something she's well aware of, and she ends up getting decapitated by a Garchomp after nearly commiting suicide-by-player through doing more than she could because honour or whatever.

These are only the worst examples of Reborn. Onmi actually had an interview with Amethyst and after reading it, the game suddenly makes a lot more sense, it's a project born not out of love but of a wish to keep Patreon funds going, Amethyst herself hates Pokemon. But even beyond that, I'm nearly sure Amethyst is a sociopath that is completely unable to understand how normal people react to emotional and important moments.

The interview is on the LP linked above my post, and I fully recommend reading the LP as well to properly comprehend what Reborn is. It's the kind of bad that you can't even laugh at.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, in actual pokemon games, we do in fact have people committing suicide (XY/ORAS) and passing away due to age (U/SM)

Also parental neglect (Poke through Sea Mauville)

Actually, Mauville itself is chock full of wonderful adult situations that are probably funny to a kid, but far harsher to older players

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Who committed suicide in XY and ORAS?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Who committed suicide in XY and ORAS?

Lysandre in Y and five old men to create Mr. Bonding in ORAS

You can also find U-Turn on a balcony in the Mauville apartments...

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Blaze Dragon posted:

decapitated by a Garchomp

jesus christ

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

The correct answer is of course Vietnamese Crystal

WILD HE HE JUMP OUT

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I started a hack called Penumbra Moon and trainers in the trainer's school for babies are using paraflinch strats. Seems like a good hack

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Lysandre in Y and five old men to create Mr. Bonding in ORAS

You can also find U-Turn on a balcony in the Mauville apartments...

Wasn't there also a quest in X/Y where you could find a sad old man who asked you for a Pokemon to keep him company, and when you return to him, the Pokeball is on the floor with a note attached while like 2 steps outside you can find an escape rope on the edge of a pretty high pier?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I personally love how ORAS was just like “remember 10 years ago? Yeah you’re getting older and things aren’t as rosy as you remember. Good luck with life tho!”

Kinda rude seeing as how I was a little kid when RSE came out :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought the depressed office workers in ORAS were a commentary on Japanese workplace culture specifically, mirroring the guys in XY talking about how sweet it was to live in Europe and have chill workdays with lots of vacation time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Kikas posted:

Wasn't there also a quest in X/Y where you could find a sad old man who asked you for a Pokemon to keep him company, and when you return to him, the Pokeball is on the floor with a note attached while like 2 steps outside you can find an escape rope on the edge of a pretty high pier?

No you're thinking of when you give a sad old man a Pokemon to keep him company, and then you NEVER GO BACK AND THEY ARE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER AND EVER.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And then you meet an old lady being carried by a Machamp in a graveyard in Sun & Moon

Also the entire Eevee-Z quest

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Classtoise posted:

^^^
Are any of these fangames good? Between Dead/Crazymom, completely unbalanced new mons (clearly designed for a competitive niche), and terrorist organizations I just want one that's like...fuckin Pokemon man.

Insurgence is good. It's got a stupid plot that I think is fun in a power fantasy way, there's a bunch of cool/cute Pokémon you can catch right out of the gate, all of the original Pokémon are just redesigns of actual Pokémon and I think some are actually really cool (but you can disable/easily ignore them if you're not a fan.) They have a nice difficulty, and have a bunch of easy ways to power up your Pokémon if you somehow end up under leveled. It's definitely substantially harder than the mainline games, but I got through it fine using a team that included a leavanny and a flareon. Gym leaders and the like use mega evolution and have pretty intelligent team compositions that use competitive hold items and abilities. For instance one gym leader has a protean greninja that he uses to set up on your team, and the elite 4 are all themed around stuff like trick room and weather effects. I think it's a really fun and creative Pokémon game, even if it is clearly a fan game.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Who's that Pokemon?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Charlie Bobson posted:

Insurgence is good. It's got a stupid plot that I think is fun in a power fantasy way, there's a bunch of cool/cute Pokémon you can catch right out of the gate, all of the original Pokémon are just redesigns of actual Pokémon and I think some are actually really cool (but you can disable/easily ignore them if you're not a fan.) They have a nice difficulty, and have a bunch of easy ways to power up your Pokémon if you somehow end up under leveled. It's definitely substantially harder than the mainline games, but I got through it fine using a team that included a leavanny and a flareon. Gym leaders and the like use mega evolution and have pretty intelligent team compositions that use competitive hold items and abilities. For instance one gym leader has a protean greninja that he uses to set up on your team, and the elite 4 are all themed around stuff like trick room and weather effects. I think it's a really fun and creative Pokémon game, even if it is clearly a fan game.

Honestly Pokemon games should have different difficulty modes that leave everything the same and just adjust the team compositions, levels, held items, and move sets of gyms bosses and trainers. I’d be all for trying to counter Nintendo Cup style teams during my playthrough. I’m guessing there’s romhacks out there that do this already? I will admit I don’t know the Pokemon modding scene very well.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
BW2 had that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schubalts posted:

BW2 had that.

And none other, because actually keeping good ideas is not how Game Freak works.