Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

i still have ps+ because one day i will play yakuza 4 and 5

Keep in mind we're likely to get PS4 remasters of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the plan is it to eventually bring all Yakuza games to PS4 and PC.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I mainly get ps+ for the :yayclod: stuff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

man nurse posted:

Keep in mind we're likely to get PS4 remasters of these.

I already have 3 and those ready to go, and I'd be playing them if the drat store I go to ever gets Kiwami 2 in.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i managed to make it through bloodborne without giving in and getting ps+ so I'm pretty sure I'm invincible now

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My PS+ ran out in like May and I can't be assed to resubscribe it yet.

There are a couple PS+ freebies I picked up but I have a huge backlog of poo poo so they can wait :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I keep buying 12 months whenever they're on offer so mine doesn't run out until 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
now that JRPGs reliably come out on steam I dunno if I'll ever buy a playstation game again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

suuma posted:

My PS+ ran out in like May and I can't be assed to resubscribe it yet.

There are a couple PS+ freebies I picked up but I have a huge backlog of poo poo so they can wait :shrug:

:same:

I think I'll probably re-up when SoulCalibur VI comes out... or I could just buy that for PC

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

isn't the smash bros roster up to something ridiculous like 60 characters at this point how many more can they feasibly even add

The last direct added like 5 characters.

Yes, smash has an ABSURD number already, and I would normally say don't expect more than that, its already so much work.

BUT, if the game comes out in december and they only had 5 chars left to announce, they would drip them out one by one, right?

Dropping 5 chars in one direct tells me that there are actually even more coming. Which is nuts.

Get psyched!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Could Steam even legally change to a subscription thing at this point? It'd basically be holding games purchased on the platform years and years ago hostage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Verranicus posted:

Consoles making you pay to play online is such a loving scam.

gently caress Microsoft forever for starting this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The last direct added like 5 characters.

Yes, smash has an ABSURD number already, and I would normally say don't expect more than that, its already so much work.

BUT, if the game comes out in december and they only had 5 chars left to announce, they would drip them out one by one, right?

Dropping 5 chars in one direct tells me that there are actually even more coming. Which is nuts.

Get psyched!

they also said not to expect too many new characters this time so my expectations are thoroughly tapered

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are definitely more characters coming--Sakurai said as much in the last Direct--but my guess is maybe one or two new characters and a handful of echo fighters.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't like Smash Bros at all but I respect the decision to throw a shitload of characters in there and let the players who care worry about balancing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Could Steam even legally change to a subscription thing at this point? It'd basically be holding games purchased on the platform years and years ago hostage.

it's a good point along with all the other stuff mutata pointed out as to why it's a borderline impossible development but i'm sure if valve smelled enough money in it they'd find a way

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what's the record for most characters in a fighting game and is smash 5 gonna break it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

what's the record for most characters in a fighting game and is smash 5 gonna break it

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-character-roster-in-a-fighting-game/

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

cheetah7071 posted:

MUGEN has multiple thousand, and no.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a messed up horse posted:

I don't like Smash Bros at all but I respect the decision to throw a shitload of characters in there and let the players who care worry about balancing

Final Destination, Fox only, no items.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Frozen Synapse 2 is out today and it looks like that canceled Introversion game Subversion so that's cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I understand "No Items" for balance purposes but is there only really one stage that is balanced

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

it's a good point along with all the other stuff mutata pointed out as to why it's a borderline impossible development but i'm sure if valve smelled enough money in it they'd find a way

If they're willing to take the enormous PR hit of going pay in the first place, they could easily establish a tier of free legacy account that serves only to allow access to existing game collections.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I understand "No Items" for balance purposes but is there only really one stage that is balanced

There are multiple.

I think there’s like five that are legal

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Playing any stages other than pokefloats or big blue is cowardice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Enable all items, require that all characters and stages are chosen at random

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

final destination isn't even balanced i think lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

what about brinstar depths or fourside?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

anyone who leaves rainbow cruise out of their rotation is no friend of mine

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrast posted:

There are multiple.

I think there’s like five that are legal

Aren't the omega stages not even allowed since even though they're flat they each have some little quirk about the ledge grab or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think most melee players would say that if they were going to only play on one stage, it'd be Battlefield, not Final Destination, because the platforms allow more vertical characters to do their vertical thing. Dunno about other smashes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think banned stages are either "tons of randomness" or "certain characters have a massive advantage" so there's actually a lot of fine stages that only give minor advantages to certain characters

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

what about brinstar depths or fourside?

The White Dragon posted:

anyone who leaves rainbow cruise out of their rotation is no friend of mine

Gonna be honest I don't actually remember most of the stages.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

haveblue posted:

Enable all items, require that all characters and stages are chosen at random

Yeah, this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
poo poo

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Pro Smash is garbage.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There are a lot of xbox 360 era games that run at full framerate on my intel gpu laptop, but guerilla is not one of them because of all the physics.. though it does run at 30fps

i wish the red faction games had a little more visual flair to them, because it's mars they just go with the red/brown and very industrial/utilitarian facilities, which is TOO grounded for me, for a game where you blow everything up. i wish they had more fun with the design/aesthetic

also i should mention that the game after guerilla is completely average in every way and dials back the destruction to specific stuff

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

we should be friends

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Verranicus posted:

Pro Smash is garbage.

Yeah, my view on it is pretty much this. That's like trying to play Mario Party or Mario Kart competitively. They're party games. Spontaneity is kind of part of the proceedings. Who the hell wants to play Smash with restricted items and stages? That sounds so lame to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean like, enjoy a game however you want to, but idgi personally. There are plenty of fighting games out there that are designed to be balanced and competitive.

• Locked thread