Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I like that a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
The bug I mentioned about sort by tag: there are no tags to choose from

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also imagine using menus like most apps use now (this iOS native component? that's my assumption):

Would be cool if I could timg mp4 files.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
drat that's slick

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I also imagine using menus like most apps use now (this iOS native component? that's my assumption):

It looks great.

Is there a reason to have the thread title at the top of that menu? It'd look heaps cleaner without.

Same with the quote mark.

Is this the end of my icons :ohdear:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm just noticing maybe the thread tag is stretched on that menu? Whatever this is supposed to be rough.

spanky the dolphin posted:

It looks great.

Is there a reason to have the thread title at the top of that menu? It'd look heaps cleaner without.

I thought the context and showing the thread tag was nice? No functional support, I was thinking for user name taps you would get their name + title + Join date + avatar up top as well and I thought maybe this followed that template.

Same with the quote mark.

Not obvious, but I'm using the quote mark as a button to jump to the quoted post. Arguably does not have to be blue.

Is this the end of my icons :ohdear:

Oh no. I'm just using Font Awesome 5 to have something quick to put in these mock ups, no intention to redesign the solid work you've done but too lazy to manage them in my sketch file right now.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I'm just noticing maybe the thread tag is stretched on that menu? Whatever this is supposed to be rough.

I thought the context and showing the thread tag was nice? No functional support, I was thinking for user name taps you would get their name + title + Join date + avatar up top as well and I thought maybe this followed that template.

It feels like it's doubling up information to me cause the thread title is already at the top of the screen. I guess it is sometimes truncated up top so there is a benefit to it. Could it be reduced in scale a bit maybe?

I like the idea for user clicking. Like a mini profile page almost.

The Dave posted:

Not obvious, but I'm using the quote mark as a button to jump to the quoted post. Arguably does not have to be blue.

Oh this is actually pretty rad then. Ignore me.

The Dave posted:

Oh no. I'm just using Font Awesome 5 to have something quick to put in these mock ups, no intention to redesign the solid work you've done but too lazy to manage them in my sketch file right now.

Phew!

I think the new post time placement is good but they seem too prominent now. Could they be a bit smaller perhaps? Maybe am/pm could be lowercase with a space between the number and am/pm to make it less shouty.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the new post time placement is good but they seem too prominent now. Could they be a bit smaller perhaps? Maybe am/pm could be lowercase with a space between the number and am/pm to make it less shouty.

Yeah I think they could use a little de-emphasis for sure. Same can be said for the date stamp. I'm kind of trying to still keep with AA accessibility because I do for work and it's like the right thing to do, even if it may be unnecessary for awful, but I'll see where I can get while sticking in those guidelines.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

pokeyman posted:

Not sure I follow.

When I share a post via email, the subject isn't populated with anything.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is everyone else still having trouble playing embedded twitter videos?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Raged posted:

Is everyone else still having trouble playing embedded twitter videos?

that's the result of twitter's api, iirc, and not something that can be fixed within the app.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I have noticed all other iOS apps (like Chrome/Safari) have an additional privacy button that is not appearing when using Awful. Don’t know if that’s helpful, but wanted to point that out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I have noticed all other iOS apps (like Chrome/Safari) have an additional privacy button that is not appearing when using Awful. Don’t know if that’s helpful, but wanted to point that out.

Do you have a screenshot? I'm not sure what that is.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

that's the result of twitter's api, iirc, and not something that can be fixed within the app.

some weird interaction with the twitter javascript api and the webview used to display posts.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh good, pokeyman merged in the Swift 4.2 updates. Beat me to it :)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

carry on then posted:

Do you have a screenshot? I'm not sure what that is.

I need to find a website with a Twitter embed video first, and then I'll grab you that shot. Because I "approved" it, it might not show up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I need to find a website with a Twitter embed video first, and then I'll grab you that shot. Because I "approved" it, it might not show up.
Website with an embedded video tweet: https://www.wweek.com/news/2018/09/12/portland-thunderstorm-turns-laurelhurst-streets-into-ponds/

That embedded video tweet: https://twitter.com/TheUnipiper/status/1040063880850862080

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Screenshots of those views in the app:

and in safari:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

And my first click:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Feature request for the future:

Show gifs/images on the leper colony.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

hanales posted:

Feature request for the future:

Show gifs/images on the leper colony.

But please make that optional.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

And my first click:

Are you in a GDPR country?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Are you in a GDPR country?

Nope! I’m in the US.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you have an ad blocker installed?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have an ad blocker installed?

No ad blocker installed on my phone, but I run Pi Hole on my home network.

But I still see the privacy/cookie warning on websites for the Twitter embed on my phone, regardless of browser choice, even when I’m out and about.

But I don’t ever see it within a post on the Awful app. Instead of going to that screen, it just looks like it refreshes and then locks out and does nothing.

My previous video game QA experience made me think that perhaps that additional screen might have something to do with why the Twitter embed isn’t allowing video to come through. It was just a theory.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I run Pi Hole on my home network
There's your problem.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

anthonypants posted:

There's your problem.

Hang on a moment.

When I'm in a browser outside of my home network (like, to LTE), I am still given that Cookie warning, which, when I tap OK, I am able to watch the video.

When I view the embed within Awful, there is no such cookie warning, and there is no ability to see the video.

That's what I'm trying to get across. Just like everyone else, unless I'm running an iOS beta client, Twitter video embeds aren't working. I was only trying to figure out why other programs are able to run with it, and this thought appeared.

I have no problem clicking OK to watch a video if that means I can use Pi Hole. But Awful should provide me the same ability to hit that OK, if that's my "problem."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can't remember the last time a twitter video/gif embed actually played in the awful.app. I always just click over into the twitter app to watch them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like the several-a-day crashes I get are almost certainly webkit resource exhaustion, based on symptoms that appear around the same time, but then I find myself wondering why that doesn't happen to the webkit browsers I use. Does the app destroy and recreate webviews, or is it just one that lives until something bursts?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hey pokeyman - you see the current announcement?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

“Please fix my giant mess of barely-functional code for free”

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not exactly in the know, but why is Awful not being embraced as the official Something Awful app? Considering how much work goes into it and just how drat good it is, I can't help but wonder why it's not being promoted as the go-to mobile solution for using the forums.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe lowtax would feel obligated to try and pay or he wouldn’t own the rights to the app or something like that?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

I'm not exactly in the know, but why is Awful not being embraced as the official Something Awful app? Considering how much work goes into it and just how drat good it is, I can't help but wonder why it's not being promoted as the go-to mobile solution for using the forums.
The announcement implies Google is penalizing the forums in some way "for not having a mobile responsive layout".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly I think they could charge a few bucks for Awful. I rarely pay for apps but I'd definitely dish out for Awful, so I'd think it could easily be worked into a deal where both the Awful devs and Lowtax get some coin for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, mobile-friendliness is part of search ranking now. Good thing posting quality isn’t!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

anthonypants posted:

The announcement implies Google is penalizing the forums in some way "for not having a mobile responsive layout".

Which is why I was thinking pokeyman could help. He's already got a pretty responsive mobile layout and could only make lowtax's better.

Weedle posted:

“Please fix my giant mess of barely-functional code for free”

I mean he already makes and maintains this app for free.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure collaborating with Lowtax would be the worst thing for the health of both the app and pokeyman.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

The bug I mentioned about sort by tag: there are no tags to choose from

Thanks!

The Dave posted:

You would think it's a native component usable by third parties, but no.

Not too hard to make though. Which is good, because this looks great!

kimbo305 posted:

When I share a post via email, the subject isn't populated with anything.

Got it now!

carry on then posted:

Oh good, pokeyman merged in the Swift 4.2 updates. Beat me to it :)

:toot:

And my first click:

This definitely feels like a clue. No idea yet how we're gonna get around it, but thanks for this!

Stare-Out posted:

But please make that optional.

I always figured we'd just follow the post view setting for "show images", and toss a play button over the gifs too.

My previous video game QA experience made me think that perhaps that additional screen might have something to do with why the Twitter embed isn’t allowing video to come through. It was just a theory.

It's a good theory imo.

Subjunctive posted:

It seems like the several-a-day crashes I get are almost certainly webkit resource exhaustion, based on symptoms that appear around the same time, but then I find myself wondering why that doesn't happen to the webkit browsers I use. Does the app destroy and recreate webviews, or is it just one that lives until something bursts?

Both. Whenever you see a navigation push (generally when you tap a thread in the list or follow a link to another page/thread), that's a new web view. But they hang around when you pop, because we support swipe-from-right-edge-to-unpop. And if you're just reading one long-rear end thread all day, that's one web view.

I'm slowly moving over to WKWebView, which renders out-of-process and generally promises fewer memory leaks. Maybe that'll help. If it doesn't solve the problem completely, we might have to look into pruning off-screen web views (and regenerating them as needed), and/or just tossing out the web view every dozen pages of posts.

I'm guessing other browsers use WKWebview, which can only help.

Mr. Nice! posted:

:sigh:

Stare-Out posted:

I don't have an answer. I've told Lowtax in the past that as far as I'm concerned the app is his, in that if he wants to officially adopt it or shut it down or whatever then that's what'll happen. I've also suggested he shove some ads in here (and I'd write the code to support it) but that hasn't gone anywhere.

The current setup is pretty decent imo. We're under no pressure to do (or not do) anything in particular, and Lowtax doesn't have to deal with support emails when the app breaks.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, mobile-friendliness is part of search ranking now. Good thing posting quality isn’t!

No doubt the Forums is pretty painful to use on a phone browser, but I don't see how Lowtax's solution fixes anything. Last I saw, his mobile layout thing was just some javascript injected into the otherwise unchanged markup/CSS. I realize googlebot et al can run javascript to an extent, but is loving with the DOM after page load going to satisfy whatever "mobile friendly" criteria? And that's completely ignoring the question of whether the changes are actually an improvement.

Also I can't help but feel like a pile of CSS would get like 95% of the job done? I realize people are scared to touch this shambling '00s horror of web technology, but if you can inject a script then surely you can add some styles? Let's zen garden this poo poo.

The plus side: if it is just that add-a-script approach, at least the app won't suddenly break when it gets turned on for good.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Which is why I was thinking pokeyman could help. He's already got a pretty responsive mobile layout and could only make lowtax's better.

I tried to help a bit awhile back but I'm a terrible web dev. I try to do as much as possible on the native side of the app, making the web views as dumb as feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Well this stupid memory leak probably isn't helping things.