Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of y'all's favorite unproduced screenplays from yesteryear? I'd love to read some of the great "what could have been" films that never came to be.

Gladiator 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Shane Black's Wild, Wild West screenplay when I read it, but I read it ages ago and can't find it again, so it was probably actually not that great. :v:

Adjacent to the original question, one that I don't think has ever been circulated but which I'm sort of interested in reading is Zak Penn's version of Avengers from when Favreau was going to direct it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Shane Black's Wild, Wild West screenplay when I read it, but I read it ages ago and can't find it again, so it was probably actually not that great. :v:

Adjacent to the original question, one that I don't think has ever been circulated but which I'm sort of interested in reading is Zak Penn's version of Avengers from when Favreau was going to direct it.

Shane Black's Wild Wild West has to be better than what we got.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Seconding A Topiary, but for comedy options I’m gonna go with James Cameron’s treatment for Spider-Man.

Or, if we count ones that haven’t leaked, Neil Blomkamp’s Alien movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of y'all's favorite unproduced screenplays from yesteryear? I'd love to read some of the great "what could have been" films that never came to be.

Rocky vs. Rambo

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Shane Black's Wild Wild West has to be better than what we got.

Yeah, I think the date on whatever I read was 1992 or 1993, which is when Richard Donner wanted to make the movie with Mel Gibson (they made Maverick instead, which is fine, because Maverick is a fun movie).

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

feedmyleg posted:

Ronnie Rocket. It's a fun read, cause you can see Lynch inserting ideas and concepts into every film post Blue Velvet that originates from that screenplay.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Seconding A Topiary

So it gets good? After 100 pages of a guy staring out a window inscrutably I gave up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this popped up in your interest, but check out Best Films Never Made on One Room With A View

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Comedy answer to best unproduced screenplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyfQ7RMOXs
has a full script, I think the big twist is Jim Gordon accidently killed Batman while trying to shoot the Joker, so you know, definitely a story that needs Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman cameos

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You have to use the full title, Gladiator 2: Christ-Killer

John Sayles's unproduced Jurassic Park script seemed like a real hoot but I don't know if the full script ever got leaked. Although some of the less outlandish ideas sound like they became a part of Jurassic World

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

A lot of them do less than that. Comic fans are notorious for having large pull-lists of stuff they never read.

I've met several of them. They don't read the comic books but they will buy multiple copies of any given issue of something so they can have all the variant covers. I'd say these kind of people are as bad as every here thinks they are, but that's not true. They're much worse.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Just saw Ikarie XB-1. It's a good movie, you know, if you're into that sort of thing. Like seeing a whole lot of modern sci-fi movies before they happened, but also with a real good-natured optimism to it. And a section of the movie dedicated to capitalism being death.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The unmade Rambo sequel in which John Rambo is pulled out of retirement to kill a genetically-engineered mutant super-solider that has taken over a military base in the Arctic. Just the idea that you can start a movie franchise with a serious look at PTSD and end it with mutant super-soldiers is wild.

So that, or "Jaws 3, People 0."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Romero’s original Day of the Dead script was wild.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

K. Waste posted:

I really should give TMNT '14 another shot.

I really enjoyed it, but I saw when it first came out and don't remember enough to give an especially coherent explanation of why. I should probably rewatch it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I skimmed the original screenplay for Beetlejuice a few days ago. If ever there was a movie that benefited from a re-write, it's that one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like Crichton's original Jurassic Park script. Good ideas that really needed some refining and definition.

Liberal Idiot posted:

The unmade Rambo sequel in which John Rambo is pulled out of retirement to kill a genetically-engineered mutant super-solider that has taken over a military base in the Arctic. Just the idea that you can start a movie franchise with a serious look at PTSD and end it with mutant super-soldiers is wild.

This didn't actually get written, though, did it? I thought it was just a producer who had the rights to a book and was trying to sell Stallone on the idea of making it a Rambo movie. But that might have been the Rambo Goes to Mexico to Fight an Extraterrestrial movie.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Proposed Stallone sequel I'm disappointed didn't get made: Cliffhanger 2, where he was going to fight terrorists at the Hoover Dam.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

feedmyleg posted:

The Brigands of Rattleborge by S. Craig Zahler was great.

I was always surprised that Excalibur or whatever it was called by Brian K. Vaughn was never made. Seemed like a no-brainer crowd pleaser.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nick Cave told me that's possibly his most favorite thing he's done in his entire career.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

The Brigands of Rattleborge by S. Craig Zahler was great.

I was always surprised that Excalibur or whatever it was called by Brian K. Vaughn was never made. Seemed like a no-brainer crowd pleaser.

Ex Machina?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What's a good book on screenwriting, friend-os?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Budgie Jumping posted:

I don't have a good answer, but don't get Save the Cat. It sucks and will actively teach you to write formulaic bullshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Budgie Jumping posted:

Reading any script plus writing your own is the best book I’ve seen.

:v:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/comicbooknow/status/1040328144035749889?s=21

It rules that Sony took out the only reason folks got hyped for Venom in the first place. This is going to be such a shitshow, I’m stoked. Looks like The Guyver.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://twitter.com/comicbooknow/status/1040328144035749889?s=21

It rules that Sony took out the only reason folks got hyped for Venom in the first place. This is going to be such a shitshow, I’m stoked. Looks like The Guyver.

Was it going to be rated R in the past?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was the main thing yeah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

Was it going to be rated R in the past?

Yeah, Ruben Fleischer said he was shooting for an R.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo then. Oh well. I'm not sure it'd be as creative/entertaining as Deadpool with an R, anyway. I didn't see something in the trailer that made me go "Yup, they're taking advantage of the rating to give something good." so it's not really that big a deal. I hope they go complete PG-13 teenage angst perception of violence.

Meaning when you see a Mel Gibson movie like Braveheart and there's violence in it, there's a visceral consequence to action. In most superhero movies they're so sanitized it's without purpose.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gatts posted:

Well poo poo then. Oh well. I'm not sure it'd be as creative/entertaining as Deadpool with an R, anyway. I didn't see something in the trailer that made me go "Yup, they're taking advantage of the rating to give something good." so it's not really that big a deal. I hope they go complete PG-13 teenage angst perception of violence.

Meaning when you see a Mel Gibson movie like Braveheart and there's violence in it, there's a visceral consequence to action. In most superhero movies they're so sanitized it's without purpose.

Of course! It’s not like Venom was going to magically become a better film if Tom Hardy said gently caress a second time. It’s just funny that they were riding so high on the “R-rated Marvel movie” train and then immediately backpedaled so they can get a Tom Holland cameo in at some point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

Of course! It’s not like Venom was going to magically become a better film if Tom Hardy said gently caress a second time. It’s just funny that they were riding so high on the “R-rated Marvel movie” train and then immediately backpedaled so they can get a Tom Holland cameo in at some point.

I thought Venom was unconnected to the Disney franchise and was quietly a spin-off of the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 14, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

I thought Venom was unconnected to the Disney franchise and was quietly a spin-off of the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man.

Nah. Tom Holland was spotted on the set of Venom, so it's believed he is doing a cameo as Peter Parker (not Spider-Man), and Sony hopes to connect it with Disney's larger universe or whatever the gently caress.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone here care at all about Don't Hug Me I'm Scared? They teased new episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFpNVxzhTs

Figured they were done forever after the last one, but I'm down for more.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

CPL593H posted:

I think it was until Sony realized they could strongarm Disney into a post-credits scene or two, since they can pull the Spider-Man rights.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Nah. Tom Holland was spotted on the set of Venom, so it's believed he is doing a cameo as Peter Parker (not Spider-Man), and Sony hopes to connect it with Disney's larger universe or whatever the gently caress.

If they really wanted to cash in on comic books and the bullshit that happens in them they could do some kind of "multiverse" bullshit and have all the different versions of Marvel franchises smash into each other in some lovely movie to fight whatever dumb bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, given how violent pg 13 films can be, I don't know what advantage you'd get from a rated R Venom film. Deadpool obviously benefits from nudity and swearing, but not Venom.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, given how violent pg 13 films can be, I don't know what advantage you'd get from a rated R Venom film. Deadpool obviously benefits from nudity and swearing, but not Venom.

Doesn't Tom Hardy have a history of showing his wang in movies? Maybe they had a scene where he whips it out in Venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

PG 13 films can have tons of violence but they can't really show the consequences of violence. Like you can break a neck but you can't have a shot of a broken necked guy on the floor with maybe some neck bone sticking out. Venom is kinda known for his brutality in the comics so I can see how that could've added something to the film. More importantly though, changing your film's rating at the last minute is a sign of a troubled production.

CPL593H posted:

Doesn't Tom Hardy have a history of showing his wang in movies? Maybe they had a scene where he whips it out in Venom.

https://twitter.com/pizza_suplex/status/1024312880919969800

• Locked thread