Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It happened to me. It required me to do 2 button presses to turn off. It was a stressful time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not happening to my 2XL :smug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

It happened to me. It required me to do 2 button presses to turn off. It was a stressful time.

It’ll be back when you reboot :ghost:

More annoyingly, I think it’s loving with data usage. SA and Chrome won’t load anything, but Instagram and Hangouts work fine. I would say maybe it’s the WiFi I’m on having some weird access crap, except my iPhone works normally.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe Google's battery saver AI knows something we don't. Maybe it knows we're going to need the battery, like with Tesla increasing the range on their cars for the hurricane. :tinfoil:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm looking at getting a tablet, are Android tablet still terrible? Should I look at an iPad or lightweight windows tablet?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm looking at getting a tablet, are Android tablet still terrible? Should I look at an iPad or lightweight windows tablet?

Yes

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

vyst posted:

Happened to me on my XL about 15 minutes ago. My first indication was that my Bluetooth icon went AWOL and my headphones lost connection and wouldn't reconnect.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oh god i fixed it and it happened again :negative:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
OG Pixel on 9, I did the security update on the 5th.. I got the 99% earlier today. I also assumed i butt/pressed it as I was running around the office. Neat to find out I was just google'd..

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I took a look at settings earlier to see what you guys were talking about and it was disabled. I enabled it to turn on automatically at 15% just for the hell of it, and I just checked again and it set itself to 99%. :google:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Holy poo poo happened to me this morning around 70%, didn't even think to look at the setting. Assumed I fatfingered it somehow.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WTF. Like a few of you, mine I set to turn on at 20% when I last posted.

Annd now checking again, it's back on at 99%. WTF :google: !?!

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I have a Nexus 6p with 32% battery health so I'm actually gonna need that 99% saver

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Battery saver did the same to me too on my Pixel 2 on Android Pie. Here I thought I accidentally triggered it too.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Lmfao same of course

Shine you crazy diamond., I wonder if that was related to the fast pd poo poo,

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mine's still immune, maybe it's :canada:?!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I cleaned the port with a dry q-tip and it didn't seem to improve things. Maybe I'm yanking it horribly and not noticing? I'll be out of warranty soon so I have to make this third one last.

In my experience the port gets lint compacted into the bottom from plugging in the cord day after day. I've had the best success using an xacto blade (very carefully) to pull out the lint until I can see the back of the port. A toothpick works too, if it's narrow enough to go all around the pins in the center. The port is way deeper than it seems.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Red icon hit me too except battery saver wasn't on, it just told me that my discover app had high background usage.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hasn't happened to me yet!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

:tinfoil: at least it's happening to other people. Had it, turned it off and it popped back on. Kept messing with my Hotspot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Must be some play services update poo poo.

Watch it be something that was supposed to be targeted towards hurricane areas.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So my nexus 6p is getting awfully slow and low on space. I wanted to see if there was a way I could basically wipe it to factory. I guess what I want to know is:

-Is there any easy way to make a backup of my entire phones memory card/internal storage to my computer?
-If I factory reset, will I get all of my messages back (text messages for example)?
-Is this even possible to do, is there built in functionality for a factory reset?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the Google App updated today so it may be that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My battery had also gone swiss for a bit.

I changed it back.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Came here to ask what this red battery icon meant and you all are already talking about it. Must be a bug in yesterday's update, right?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine's still immune, maybe it's :canada:?!

Nope, totally fine here for me here in :911:

Edit: 2XL also, up to date

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It happened to one of my friends last night and to my girlfriend today. Hasn't happened to mine yet, but I never turn on battery saver so maybe that's it?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

butt dickus posted:

It happened to one of my friends last night and to my girlfriend today. Hasn't happened to mine yet, but I never turn on battery saver so maybe that's it?

Either do i but it got me good :spooky:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9fkrvw/is_anyone_elses_power_saving_mode_turning_itself/e5xl907/

:tinfoil:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Whoa, the battery saver triggered for me a few hours ago... And the battery was at 90%

I didn't even know it had turned on, I never activated it before and all of a sudden my battery icon was white with a red plus in it. I had to Google what it meant because I thought my battery was going to die.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What the gently caress, now my swipe keyboard is predicting "I" or "and" for every word? Like I just typed the word "everyone" and watchrd the swipe trail hit every letter and it came up with "I." Anyone else? I am typing this message letter by letter and it is hell.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
All y'all with 99% battery saver, remember: it's probably your fault somehow.

:v:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Swiping is back to normal but man that was weird. Did that update include some LSD or something?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

isndl posted:

All y'all with 99% battery saver, remember: it's probably your fault somehow.

:v:

Lol I forgot what I said that about. Did it end up being their fault? It's android, the OS that gives you an abundance of opportunity to shoot yourself in the foot, so I feel like it's 50:50 of me being correct.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

alnilam posted:

Swiping is back to normal but man that was weird. Did that update include some LSD or something?

That happens to me occasionally. Not sure what triggers it. It goes away quickly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's just swell. Google's ability of loving up my phone without so much of requesting user permission.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ha, my seeing just went haywire too and had to reboot to fix it. Things always get weird close to a new hardware release.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

No battery fuckery for me but I just had real weird swipe activity. Had to reboot. What the gently caress is going on Google

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I guess my Nexus 6 isn't affected by Gboard freaking out because it's just so old. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

codo27 posted:

No battery fuckery for me but I just had real weird swipe activity. Had to reboot. What the gently caress is going on Google

My swipe has gone to poo poo as of this post right now and my phone hasn't been on a charger so it shouldn't have been an app update. Thanks Google.

e: force stopping the Gboard app fixed it