Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

The problem is not that hard to solve, actually: enforce all derails with the same zealousness that Dems-Are-Bad offtopicness is enforced.

Food chat? Probation.
Which is better, cats or dogs? Probation.
"How about those leftists, amirite fellas? :q: " - Probation.

There's nothing wrong with forcing people to stay on topic in a megathread, but what happens in the Trump thread is more like anything goes except this one thing. I mean even PPJ himself drags the thread off-topic occasionally with the Twitter dumps (although, to his credit, he did probate himself when I called him out on it that one time :tipshat: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ytlaya posted:

This is the only part that really rubs me the wrong way. I would understand if keeping all debates of that nature out of the thread was enforced, but people frequently make snide little comments aimed at the left without recourse.

Practically speaking I don't think it matters if you allow the sort of discussion you mention in that thread, though. Most, if not all, of the posters you're referring to aren't going to change their minds. These are people who would be Republican in some hypothetical world where the Democratic Party moved significantly to the left and the Republicans became more polite. It is basically the water cooler talk of upper-middle class liberal professionals - for all practical purposes these people are not on the same "team" as us politically.
Trump thread is useful as a place for the "Hillary is my waifu" posters to go recharge after they post literally anywhere else and get made fun of by everyone. Let them have their hugbox.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if you for some reason think the thread to post tweets where the president says "THOSE HURRICANE DEATHS ARE FAKE" and laugh needs to be rigidly maintained as a laser focus on Trump that's weird but fine.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Trump thread is useful as a place for the "Hillary is my waifu" posters to go recharge after they post literally anywhere else and get made fun of by everyone. Let them have their hugbox.

It's like a museum commemorating how insufferable the forums were in between the summer of 2015 and the fall of 2016.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rent-A-Cop posted:

"Dems are bad" posts are quarantined to this thread, and I guess it's technically probatable in USPOL though not really enforced. Talking about it anywhere else in D&D will get you a probation. So you have it exactly backward.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The problem is not that hard to solve, actually: enforce all derails with the same zealousness that Dems-Are-Bad offtopicness is enforced.

Food chat? Probation.
Which is better, cats or dogs? Probation.
"How about those leftists, amirite fellas? :q: " - Probation.

There's nothing wrong with forcing people to stay on topic in a megathread, but what happens in the Trump thread is more like anything goes except this one thing. I mean even PPJ himself drags the thread off-topic occasionally with the Twitter dumps (although, to his credit, he did probate himself when I called him out on it that one time :tipshat: )

From their point of view, the Trump thread is a bunch of intelligent professionals having a friendly chat about politics that may sometimes go down other tangents, but it's all friendly and good. But then suddenly in comes the uncouth leftist, who is probably dressed like a poor person and is not as serious and educated as them (they know this because all serious and educated people have political views that you can find frequently reflected in mainstream newspapers and television).

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Most of the people critical of establishment dems left for CSPAM long ago

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

I contain multitudes, and a part of me wants to believe that some example or event will break through, but I think Ytalaya is right in the sense that I need to accept that while our interests align much more frequently than mine and a Republican’s do, they are not our allies and are at best sometimes useful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

yeah i'm thinking i might have to migrate over. i got this av and my ban from posting about how the dems are also at fault for our current predicament.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i'm thinking i might have to migrate over. i got this av and my ban from posting about how the dems are also at fault for our current predicament.
That's a good avatar though.

Democrats: Even bad at forums avatars.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Feldegast42 posted:

succ zone welcomes all who hate the libs (from the left, gently caress off chuds)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

gently caress that poo poo. They deserve scorn, not a sanctioned place. Start a private reddit if you need a place to decompress with mods.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

succ zone welcomes all who hate the libs (from the left, gently caress off chuds)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

selec posted:

So the thread just becomes a place to gaze at the horror, but any honest discussion of what got us here, and the problem of how we get out of where we are, does not occur in there because you can only cheer for the opposition, rather than insist the opposition do better. You can only pray for the opposition, not drat them when they endorse or vote to confirm Republicans. The thread is the embodiment of The Better Things Aren't Possible caucus in this way.
I just treat it as a trump bad dems good containment thread. like MSDOS KAPITAL said, it's only really enforced in the trump thread so whatever. There's still a big gap between discussions of policy and kneejerk "dems bad" and pre-rulechange it was basically nonstop shitposting about how awful every minute move by any dem was and constant primary re-litigation that repeatedly tanked the politics threads. It's gone overboard in the other direction but goddamn uspol december/january 2017 was unreadably bad. It was mostly circular arguments between the same few people who loved mashing their keybroads a lot.

I'd love to see some of the "Dems actually the best :smug:" posters earn some timeouts for their bait though. The guy mocking millenals for not voting for the "We're gonna gently caress you, but boy howdy ain't those other guys gonna gently caress you harder" party reminds me of all the reregs that spent summer 2016 mocking CelestialScribe mercilessly. what could have possibly happened that caused so many reregs in late 2016 boy I sure can't remember. I'm sure they're all serious posters with political views we should take with due consideration given their accurate analysis of the electorate.

E: It appears I was either gifted an avatar or got cought up in the kobb/unkobb skirmishes. Neat, I've had newbie since '01. Thanks, anonymous benefactor, I like it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You know what would be really great? If Party Plane Jones would also post his awesome and highly informative Twitterdumps in this thread too so that I could permanently avoid Hillary's Hugbox.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Brave New World posted:

You know what would be really great? If Party Plane Jones would also post his awesome and highly informative Twitterdumps in this thread too so that I could permanently avoid Hillary's Hugbox.

Mods have enough work to do. Just bookmark his "?"

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 13, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

Mods have enough work to do. Just bookmark his "?"

you can do that?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

you can do that?

I mean in your actual bookmarks not forums bookmarks.. but ngl that would be a pretty rad feature

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ah, yea I thought the forums got a cool rear end new feature that I didn't notice or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh it's not like all of D&D is a Dem-hugbox, just the one thread, and everyone knows it.

I get that Trump is such a broad subject that touches so much of American politics that you have to exercise at least some moderation over the inevitable arguments and derails to keep the thread readable, if anything I'd say the Trump thread isn't modded strictly enough, probating every off-topic post about food or city culture or whatever would do a lot to make it possible to follow the thread without having to skip to the end.

It would obviously be unworkable to probate all mention of Democrats, because the opposition party's response to the president's initiatives is inseparable from discussions about the president. You could ban all speculation about the opposition's potential responses or strategies but you'd have a majority of the thread in revolt about that, so I kinda get going the other way and just picking a consensus view and banning dissent, and since the Trump thread is mostly liberals hyperventilating about how rude the president is and reassuring each other that someone will stop him, there's your consensus.

Is it kinda dumb that you can spin theories all day about how "eh vote for Justice Coat-Hanger Labor-Killer McBigot if you want to Dems it's fine" is infinite-dimensional chess but the response "nah Schumer probably said that because he meant it just like every other time he's said something like that" results in probation, yeah I guess, but it's not like that rule is a secret and it's not like every potential political view gets equal time anyway.

Like I'm down with TGRS existing and making the same old arguments from the same people bannable.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I don't see how you can can have a Trump thread without making fun of the ineptness of the Democrats' resistance strategy in response to Trump.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tbf some of the theorycrafting gets far enough out there it's indistinguishable from satire.

For example "supply Gorsuch and Kavanaugh with enough Dem votes to give moderate Republicans cover to vote against"

E: actually maybe that's how you sneak Dems Are Bad posting in, just go completely the other way

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 13, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

Some of the theorycrafting gets far enough out there it's indistinguishable from satire.

For example "supply Gorsuch and Kavanaugh with enough Dem votes to give moderate Republicans cover to vote against"

Who said that? They should be mocked

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Who said that? They should be mocked
that sounds like something evilweasel would say, and then insist you are wrong that he said it and call you an idiot

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

that sounds like something evilweasel would say, and then insist you are wrong that he said it and call you an idiot

Yeah, I don't think you have evilweasel pegged at all.

Were you falling for a disreputable dog troll, or perhaps a mcmagic post? I'd love to see an actual quote of someone who said anything like that instead of just relying on your insistence that people say it all the time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evilweasel's theory is that if you say overturning Roe is fine but then you bring up a ton of arcane procedural minutia from a decade ago that the average American will never hear nor give a poo poo about if they knew then moderate Republicans will fear the wrath of bowtie-spinning nerds and kill Kavanaugh themselves, saving red state Dems.

But if you act like he really is unqualified and whip against him this doesn't work, you have to act like even you don't believe your own accusations that's the ticket

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 14, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Evilweasel's theory is that if you say overturning Roe is fine but then you bring up a ton of arcane procedural minutia from a decade ago that the average American will never hear nor give a poo poo about if they knew then moderate Republicans will fear the wrath of bowtie-spinning nerds and kill Kavanaugh themselves, saving red state Dems.

But if you act like he really is unqualified and whip against him this doesn't work, you have to act like even you don't believe your own accusations that's the ticket

Also playing offense will offend key surburbanite demographics and the Dems will lose without them.

Also also that there are no left-leaning people who currently don't vote but could be inspired to vote for the Dems if the Dems pretended like they gave a poo poo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Utterly shocking that the spiritual successor to the c-spam Hillary thread, that all the c-spam Hillary thread posters fled to after being completely embarrassed, exhibits every single one of the immensely lovely qualities present in that thread when given free reign to do so all over again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Oh Snapple! posted:

Utterly shocking that the spiritual successor to the c-spam Hillary thread, that all the c-spam Hillary thread posters fled to after being completely embarrassed, exhibits every single one of the immensely lovely qualities present in that thread when given free reign to do so all over again.

including mods who selectively enforce the rules to ban any dissenting views. i guess they just don't want debate and discussion in debate and discuss :shrug:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Having pro-succ-dem posters confined to one thread these days is lightyears better than dnd has ever been.

Source: my rap sheet.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, I don't think you have evilweasel pegged at all.

Were you falling for a disreputable dog troll, or perhaps a mcmagic post? I'd love to see an actual quote of someone who said anything like that instead of just relying on your insistence that people say it all the time.
I don't know why anyone would bother trying to convince you of anything at all, HY!L, because it is completely wasted effort every time. You definitely can be convinced of the badness of isolated incidents on the part of Democrats, which puts you a step above most Trump thread cheerleaders, but you have proven utterly incapable of pattern matching on that. You never learn.

If I showed you ten examples of evilweasel (or whoever) being a disingenuous rear end in a top hat in the Trump thread, you would absolutely agree that evilweasel (or whoever) was a disingenuous rear end in a top hat those ten times and not a single other thing would change in your brain. You're not worth my or anyone's time.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Willa Rogers posted:

Having pro-succ-dem posters confined to one thread these days is lightyears better than dnd has ever been.

Source: my rap sheet.

the system at its finest

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Majorian posted:

Also also that there are no left-leaning people who currently don't vote but could be inspired to vote for the Dems if the Dems pretended like they gave a poo poo.
I think the reasoning behind this is the assumption that anyone with leftist leanings is already super politically engaged, and that therefore they are already voting in every election and furthermore that they are strategically voting in every election (so, naturally, they always vote for Democrats). So you literally can't pick up more leftist votes, almost by definition. Meanwhile moderate conservatives just need to be "educated" and politically disengaged people just need to see more ads on TV.

Mind you, I don't think this is the thought process of Democratic politicians, at least not the ones in leadership positions, but it would explain the attitude of the typical moderate Democrat, toward the left.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Here's a mod challenge: quit playing favorites in the Trump thread.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I don't know why anyone would bother trying to convince you of anything at all, HY!L, because it is completely wasted effort every time. You definitely can be convinced of the badness of isolated incidents on the part of Democrats, which puts you a step above most Trump thread cheerleaders, but you have proven utterly incapable of pattern matching on that. You never learn.

If I showed you ten examples of evilweasel (or whoever) being a disingenuous rear end in a top hat in the Trump thread, you would absolutely agree that evilweasel (or whoever) was a disingenuous rear end in a top hat those ten times and not a single other thing would change in your brain. You're not worth my or anyone's time.

Let's see. No evidence, character attacks, baseless assertions.

Yup, you nailed that one.

Want to actually make an argument, or just stand there and act proud of the duece you dropped on the floor for everyone to see?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Some of the comparatively smarter posters of this nature, like evilweasel or that one poster whose name starts with a P*, tend to share the same flaw in their logic, where they apply a ton of scrutiny towards any idea/opinion outside the Democratic mainstream but don't apply that same scrutiny towards status quo Democratic ideas (which are instead treated as a sort of "default"). This leads to a situation where they require the left to provide extensive proof of the things they claim, while not requiring this same proof for "staying the course" of current Democratic politics. Or they might sometimes claim to support the same ideas as the left, but come up with excuses (that are usually impossible to disprove) for why Democrats don't pass them. There's a tendency to always assume good faith unless a (often impossible) level of proof is supplied of ill intent. The situation with Obama and the public option is a really good example of this. Except they also use the strategy of "repeatedly use a talking point that has already been debunked in the hopes that the person they're arguing with forgets it's been debunked" in that case (since there's actually concrete evidence Obama never planned to do a public option).

That sort of flawed logic would actually be fairly understandable (the general idea of treating the status quo as a "default" you treat with less scrutiny) if not for the fact that they're so incredibly smug and condescending. I'm not unaware that there's some hypocrisy in me accusing other people of being condescending, but the big difference is that they're being condescending from the perspective of people (in effect) defending the status quo (and usually from a position of great privilege). Plus the whole "being wrong in a way with negative consequences" thing.

* not PD6A (or whatever the order of letters in their username is)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 14, 2018

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

To be fair, to see not just a handful of Democrats as useless, but to actually understand and internalize the reality that party leadership isn't unable to pass popular reforms, but against them for reasons somewhere between ideological opposition and donor relationships that control the party, consigns you to a level of disillusionment where "the DNC leadership being personally better off if the nazi wins" is a fair and charitable critique. I'm pretty sure a normal human mind takes a good deal of self-delusion measures to avoid accepting something that bleak.

Condiv posted:

including mods who selectively enforce the rules to ban any dissenting views. i guess they just don't want debate and discussion in debate and discuss :shrug:
This is no place to debate and/or discuss. I'm not sure if hiring a Stalinist to stiffle discussion and quell dissenting views is ironic or just cliche.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 14, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lmao "hiring"

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

lmao "hiring"
Conscripted to help keep the big bucks flowing to the forums politburo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sneakster posted:

Conscripted to help keep the big bucks flowing to the forums politburo.

we are truly the petite bourgeoisie

• Locked thread