Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

$14.22 on ATT. An LTE iPad is $13.24. Part of that is a $1.99 administrative fee on every line.

This is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao what the hell? It’s $10 flat on t-mobile and that’s still $5 too much. Almost 15 is insane.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Good luck to those random people who will try to preorder the new watch with HSA money claiming it's a medical device due to its FDA approved status.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Good luck to those random people who will try to preorder the new watch with HSA money claiming it's a medical device due to its FDA approved status.

gently caress. I am going to expense this through my employer as a fitness and medical device.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Man , that’s a bummer. I don’t think they need to keep white, but rose gold is super popular.

So any S3 Watch users here upgrading? Honestly, right now I’m thinking no. The resale market on Apple watches isn’t great, so for the price difference Im thinking not worth it. Plus, I’ll be getting a XS, and if they ever update iPads an iPad, so I just don’t think I need to.

S3 LTE here. Definitely not upgrading. Seems cool with the larger screen and all, but an incremental upgrade at best, especially since they raised the price. I probably won’t upgrade for a couple years. I can’t really imagine selling my S3 though. It’s a watch. I’ve banged it on counter tops and door frames. Can’t really picture someone wanting to pay for a second-hand watch that has a screen scratch and a couple case dings.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

$14.22 on ATT. An LTE iPad is $13.24. Part of that is a $1.99 administrative fee on every line.

Seriously, gently caress ATT for all their stupid charges. Even at $10 it’s a complete ripoff to pay for data you’ve already paid for. But honestly, for the 2% of the time I use LTE (running, etc), it’s loving amazing.

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual

fordan posted:

Has anyone done the Apple Watch trade-in, or is that new? I'm curious if they require the watch band or if I can keep it when getting a new Watch.

I traded in my stainless steel S0 to upgrade to the S3 earlier this year. They just wanted the watch body, and I got to keep the band. They will do it in store for credit towards an upgrade, but I ended up having to do it online for an Apple gift card since I already purchased the upgrade.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apparently the EKG feature is only going to be available for US customer :wtf:

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently the EKG feature is only going to be available for US customer :wtf:

There are probably legal approvals required in other markets, just as there were in the US.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My friend is really tempted by the new Apple Watch, and is thinking of picking one up on holiday in India in a few months' time (pretty sure they're cheaper there). I'm 99% sure that an Apple Watch bought in India will work just fine in the UK etc but she's a bit unsure.

Are there any complications re: cellular network bands that might stop it from working fine in the UK?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Apple Watch has lots of complications.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lmao what the hell? It’s $10 flat on t-mobile and that’s still $5 too much. Almost 15 is insane.

Is there some carrier that will just let me add an Apple Watch alone for $10? I don’t really care about my same phone number working, I just want data.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Is there some carrier that will just let me add an Apple Watch alone for $10? I don’t really care about my same phone number working, I just want data.

I do believe that fine person just said that T-Mobile will.

Verizon sure won’t lol

Maybe sprint??

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pissflaps posted:

Now I feel awful for not making that pun on purpose.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Complications showing heart complications!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If anyone is curious about the new sizes, the Apple Store App lets you see actual-sized pics. The 44mm is noticeably bigger than my 42mm. Not that it would stop me buying, as I have big wrists.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I was pretty sure none of the carriers will. The setup between Apple and the carriers requires it to have number share activated. But You can always ask T-Mobile to confirm.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
There’s a trade-in program? My S2 is in great shape, but getting $115 towards a new one is a decent deal.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I'm looking to upgrade my Series 1 to the new Series 4. Is it a dumb idea to get the LTE version just for emergency calls? As I understand it, even if you don't get a data plan, in the US at least you can still call 911 with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anya posted:

There’s a trade-in program? My S2 is in great shape, but getting $115 towards a new one is a decent deal.

Yep. Get your value here

(I should add this to the OP.)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I feel like it's impossible to figure out if they are putting different front glass on different models of the series 4. Has that been released or talked about anywhere? Or are they finally putting the same front screen on every model?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I feel like it's impossible to figure out if they are putting different front glass on different models of the series 4. Has that been released or talked about anywhere? Or are they finally putting the same front screen on every model?

It says right on the product pages. Aluminum are still Ion-X glass, and stainless steel are still sapphire crystal.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oh weird. I couldn't find that on the Canadian site.

~300CDN premium for it. Ooof.

EDIT: Oh it was because I never clicked on a watch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Endless Mike posted:

It says right on the product pages. Aluminum are still Ion-X glass, and stainless steel are still sapphire crystal.

What’s the difference?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tab8715 posted:

What’s the difference?

Presumably harder to scratch since Sapphire is higher up on the Mohs scale than glass. Don’t know the actual mineral composition on either however so it may not be equivalent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the Apple site, it appears my only option for a stainless now is series 4 cellular? Did they not make series 3 in stainless?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sapphire is supposed to be more scratch-resistant, yes. Having owned both, I haven't gotten scratches on either, though I wore my first S2SS for a lot longer than I wore my S0 Sport for (2 years vs. 8ish months).

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looking at the Apple site, it appears my only option for a stainless now is series 4 cellular? Did they not make series 3 in stainless?
They did. I was discontinued as of yesterday. Check Best Buy and Target if you want a stainless S3.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Presumably harder to scratch since Sapphire is higher up on the Mohs scale than glass. Don’t know the actual mineral composition on either however so it may not be equivalent.

IIRC sapphire is second to diamond on the Mohs scale.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'll be upgrading my space black stainless s3 to an s4 if you are interested. Space Black is the best apple watch, the tungsten DLC is harder to scratch than the sapphire.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Endless Mike posted:

Sapphire is supposed to be more scratch-resistant, yes. Having owned both, I haven't gotten scratches on either, though I wore my first S2SS for a lot longer than I wore my S0 Sport for (2 years vs. 8ish months).

They did. I was discontinued as of yesterday. Check Best Buy and Target if you want a stainless S3.

Also check the refurb page on the Apple website.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Did anything to do with band compatibility change?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can you rephrase that in English?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I assume something about whether the S4 bands are the same as S0-3. If so, yes.

Apple posted:

You can match this band with any Apple Watch Series 4 case of the same size. It also works with all previous versions of Apple Watch, including Apple Watch Series 3. The 40mm band works with the 38mm case; the 44mm band works with the 42mm case.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Can you rephrase that in English?
Can you use S2 bands on S4?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

Can you use S2 bands on S4?

Y e s

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Did the woven nylon band get axed?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fourwood posted:

Did the woven nylon band get axed?

Yes. It was inferior to the sport loop anyway.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Whoooo I’m gonna spend money on more purdy

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Pissflaps posted:

This needs to be the new thread title. That or just 'It's complicated'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ordered an aluminum gold and a stainless steel black. Aluminum ships next week like they said. The SS won't ship until the week after though.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 14, 2018