Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arivia posted:

"True, I would not call them low quality." is a statement of truth value. The truth value is attached to the action of "calling them low quality." Because MonsterEnvy has already called the maps low quality, this statement is easily demonstrably false. He is lying.

That is not a concession or a restatement, that is an outright lie. We know from past experience that MonsterEnvy lies to cover for himself when pressured, and the same thing is occuring here.

If he had said: "True, I should not have called them low quality" or "True. I would not call them low quality in future" those are different statements that would be concessions. But he didn't say those. Words have meanings. Use the right ones.

edit: I have assumed a comma after True in his post. If there's no comma things are even worse and even more bald-faced lying because then it's all a single clause and there is literally no room for interpretation otherwise.

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not great with words. I intended it to be more on the level of "True, I should not have called them low quality". Sorry I messed up my sentence. Mainly for the fact you then felt the need to nitpick it and make a deal out of what was me agreeing with you.

Okay. Apology accepted.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're low quality maps in the context of being an actually useful living space, high quality in artwork (disclaimer: I like that style of art)

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Arivia posted:

Okay. Apology accepted.

What the gently caress is wrong with your brain

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Proud Rat Mom posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your brain

In general? Seven pills a day's worth.

In the context of this conversation? Nothing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

AlphaDog posted:

Reeeeeee not d&d reeeeeeeeee

vvvvvvvv also reeeeeeee

Do not be this person.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I've been trying to figure something out for a day or so and figured I'd check here. Let's say two people are fighting, Bill and Ted. Neither has true sight or see invisibility. Bill casts Greater Invisibility on himself. Bill now has advantage to hit Ted, and Ted now has disadvantage to hit Bill. Ted then casts Greater Invisibility on himself as well. Would the advantage and disadvantage from Ted becoming invisible cancel out those from Bill's invisibility? Are two guys who can't see each other equally able to fight as two guys who can see each other just fine? Similarly, what about two humans fighting in a dark room?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just gonna skip past 4 pages of dumb bullshit and jump in to ask: who are the famous female drow?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I've been trying to figure something out for a day or so and figured I'd check here. Let's say two people are fighting, Bill and Ted. Neither has true sight or see invisibility. Bill casts Greater Invisibility on himself. Bill now has advantage to hit Ted, and Ted now has disadvantage to hit Bill. Ted then casts Greater Invisibility on himself as well. Would the advantage and disadvantage from Ted becoming invisible cancel out those from Bill's invisibility? Are two guys who can't see each other equally able to fight as two guys who can see each other just fine? Similarly, what about two humans fighting in a dark room?
Both cases are neutral, you've got it right.

e: Sage Advice agrees:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/534491192902184960

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Both cases are neutral, you've got it right.

e: Sage Advice agrees:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/534491192902184960

Well that seems...dumb. Oh well, thanks!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The big advantage (hah) of spells like darkness and fog cloud is that many spells require LoS, so it can be cast on the melee or part of it to neutralize enemy casters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Novum posted:

Just gonna skip past 4 pages of dumb bullshit and jump in to ask: who are the famous female drow?

Eclavdra, Qilue Veladorn, Liriel Baenre, Matron Mother Malice, and then one I can’t name who ends up being the Matron of House Baenre after War of the Spider Queen. Oh and the Lady Penitent.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Incidentally any drow-wanters getting static about their stat block can try to end run around their dm with half-drow who are busted as hell

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Eclavdra, Qilue Veladorn, Liriel Baenre, Matron Mother Malice, and then one I can’t name who ends up being the Matron of House Baenre after War of the Spider Queen. Oh and the Lady Penitent.

Quenthal Baenre. Yvonnel Baenre is also up there.

If someone played Baldur's Gate Viconia DeVir would likely be up there too.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tremek posted:

There’s a point in 2011 where 3/3.5 is nearly outselling - and then does outsell thereafter - 4e books. If that’s not rejection by consumers voting with their dollars, what would you call it?

Ps this data also never shows 4e outselling 3/3.5 but as it’s just Amazon it’s easy to admit much of the 3/3.5 books were sold B&M.

No seriously how was 5e and 4e selling in ~2004 lol.

EDIT: I'm the Dragon Age rpg sales in 2005 when the video game doesnt release until 2009 lol.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 14, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Quenthal Baenre. Yvonnel Baenre is also up there.

If someone played Baldur's Gate Viconia DeVir would likely be up there too.

Real talk, this is the lady drow most people are going to be familiar with.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Arivia posted:

No.

This is the problem with MonsterEnvy. He is unwilling to admit he made a mistake - that he called the maps low quality - he instead retreats from any other arguments and disavows his old position or that he ever held that position. It's sophistry, pure weaseling that tries to make him come off as better and more considerate than he actually is.

You will notice in his response he never says he was wrong - he just says "he wouldn't call them low quality", which suggests a different opinion now without ever rectifying his original argument. This is the kind of poo poo we see in the mass media all the time from slimy fuckers like Trump and it's unacceptable in places we can actually hold them to account for it.

I'm not sure where the conversation has gone since this but I have just this to say about you:

You Are A Bully.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Arthil posted:

I'm not sure where the conversation has gone since this but I have just this to say about you:

You Are A Bully.

:agreed:, this is getting super not fun to read. She's been probed for bullying him before in this thread so I guess we'll see what happens :shrug:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Some people got sooooo much impotent rage and vitriol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Novum posted:

Some people got sooooo much impotent rage and vitriol

Definitely read this as Vivitrol at first.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
What IS that??

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

Okay. Apology accepted.

Maybe get a degree in not being a gat drat shithead you loving nerd

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009

Arthil posted:

You Are A Bully.

One more hop-on for the "Agreed" train!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought maybe after like six years of 5E this thread had settled down, no, it's actually worse than ever and I assume no one has paged a mod because drat

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I thought maybe after like six years of 5E this thread had settled down, no, it's actually worse than ever and I assume no one has paged a mod because drat

It's super weird, it'll be chill for like a month and then somebody will lean in and whisper "4e?" and everybody goes nuts.

EDIT: I wrote a super overpowered and dumb warlock path and I'm curious if anybody wants to make fun of me for it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mendrian posted:

It's super weird, it'll be chill for like a month and then somebody will lean in and whisper "4e?" and everybody goes nuts.

EDIT: I wrote a super overpowered and dumb warlock path and I'm curious if anybody wants to make fun of me for it.

Sure I will check out anything.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sure I will check out anything.

Okay I warned you.

Theme is simple: Warlock made a pact with a blood demon. Some wording is still unclear and there are a couple of spots that are rough or could use duration. Let me know what yall think.

quote:

Gift of Blood
Starting at level 1, you gain immunity to poison damage and disease. Additionally, whenever you take damage, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Armor of Blood
Starting at level 1, whenever you have temporary hit points, you gain a +2 magical bonus to your armor class. This bonus persists as long as you have temporary hit points.

My Blood Speaks
Beginning at level 6, you may expend this feature after rolling damage to convert all damage to Poison or Necrotic damage. You may not use this feature again until you have taken a short or long rest.

Blood Grasp
Starting at level 6, whenever you inflict Poison or Necrotic damage you may force the target to make a Constitution saving throw against your Warlock spell save difficulty. On a failure the target is Poisoned for one hour. Targets that the caster has poisoned also suffer from Blood Grasp in addition to any other effects as long as they are Poisoned.

The warlock may see and hear through the body of anyone afflicted with Blood Grasp, though in doing so the caster must close their eyes and lose track of their own surroundings. At level 10, this effect persists for one day.

Sanguine Recall
Starting at level 10, as long as you have temporary hit points, you may spend your reaction when you are damaged by a character within melee range to deal poison damage to that character equal to your warlock level.

In addition, your Blood Grasp feature now prevents the target from healing or lying to the caster.

Master of Blood
Starting at level 14, characters suffering from Blood Grasp have vulnerability to any damage you deal. Additionally, you may cast suggestion as a spell-like effect against any character suffering from Blood Grasp without knowing the spell or expending any spell slots.

Deliberately left out is the Warlock extended spell list; I'm still mulling it over.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

Okay I warned you.

Theme is simple: Warlock made a pact with a blood demon. Some wording is still unclear and there are a couple of spots that are rough or could use duration. Let me know what yall think.

Deliberately left out is the Warlock extended spell list; I'm still mulling it over.

Can Grasp affect more than one creature at a time?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Incidentally any drow-wanters getting static about their stat block can try to end run around their dm with half-drow who are busted as hell

Excuse me sir, uh, *looks at clipboard* - Mr. Valas is it? Could you please step over here for a moment and answer a few questions for us?

The inside joke here is Nehru abandoned a half-drow character we were both players in after one session once because he was RPing a millennial and all the other characters couldn't stand it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tremek posted:

Excuse me sir, uh, *looks at clipboard* - Mr. Valas is it? Could you please step over here for a moment and answer a few questions for us?

The inside joke here is Nehru abandoned a half-drow character we were both players in after one session once because he was RPing a millennial and all the other characters couldn't stand it

Thats a great survey question , I just uploaded it to my gchat group about the campaign because at least 2 of the 4 players are deliberately contrarian to make things more interesting (I'm one of them)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

poorlifedecision posted:

Can Grasp affect more than one creature at a time?

That was the intent, yes. Too much?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That survey is actually cool because half the questions were "of course this is the whole point of playing!!" And then a bunch more my response was "only an idiot would want to do this" so it was fun to just see perspectives I've never, ever considered (they are all wrong and bad of course)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Thoughts on Revised Ranger vs PHB Ranger in TYOL 2018? I have a new player joining my group, helped them roll a ranger and only just read that it's widely considered dogshit and there's this UA that rewrites the class. They've also chosen beastmaster and will be understandably disappointed when they find out they can take an action or order their panther to wreck poo poo. Is it better balanced? Too far in the other direction?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggnogium posted:

Thoughts on Revised Ranger vs PHB Ranger in TYOL 2018? I have a new player joining my group, helped them roll a ranger and only just read that it's widely considered dogshit and there's this UA that rewrites the class. They've also chosen beastmaster and will be understandably disappointed when they find out they can take an action or order their panther to wreck poo poo. Is it better balanced? Too far in the other direction?

play the Revised Ranger. The PHB Ranger is hot garbage

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eggnogium posted:

PHB Ranger is bad except for Gloom Stalker. Revised Ranger Gloom Stalker is actually really good.

PHB Beastmaster is dogshit. RR Beast Conclave is less bad but still meh.

I strongly advice against playing BM, especially for new players. Having a combat pet is simply not a well-supported gameplay mechanic in this system.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's weird the number of concessions 5e makes toward balance, it's the one thing you'd think they'd leave behind from 4e.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Conspiratiorist posted:

Having a combat pet is simply not a well-supported gameplay mechanic in this system.
It's not even poorly supported, they just purposely made any mechanic where players use the MM incredibly weak.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tremek posted:

It was because I didn't want to run two bards. I 10000% would play another class conscious CG

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It was because I didn't want to run two bards. I 10000% would play another class conscious CG

Fictionalized account of Valas meeting Sildar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Infinite Karma posted:

It's not even poorly supported, they just purposely made any mechanic where players use the MM incredibly weak.

Not quite. Moon Druid is incredibly strong levels 2-6, and after that it doesn't so much fall off as rather has a brief lull in power before the elemental forms.

Conjure Elemental can be pretty fun, but much better if you can just bind them rather than maintain concentration.

Conjure Animals and Animate Dead (especially with a Necromancer) are outright cancerous.

The problem isn't effectiveness, but that copying MM statblocks is strong in the lamest, most boring way possible, that also happens to be highly time-consuming unless both the player and DM have a great and agile handle on things.

And then comes Beast Master, who on top of the above mentioned problems commits the crimes of adding half a dozen fiddly mechanics to your pokemon and being weak despite the added effort.