Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

infernal machines posted:

lmao

they ended up clearing the gallery because people kept coughing every time the premier spoke.

i'm sure free speech advocate jordan peterson will stand up for these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Helsing posted:

Uhm, how the is that spray supposed to stop a bear if it can't even incapacitate one bong wielding stoner?

that clerk has access to the Good poo poo 24/7, he is immune to all pain and disease

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Yinlock posted:

that clerk has access to the Good poo poo 24/7, he is immune to all pain and disease

Wolverine reboot sounding dope af

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

That guy just really loves spicy food

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Possibly the first and last time the phrase "Brampton elites" will ever be used.

https://twitter.com/StephenWickens1/status/1039954134433193984

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
doug ford is the kid that wasnt allowed in the clubhouse with all the other kids so he got his mafia drug dealer dad to buy the land under the clubhouse and he's burning it down with all the other kids inside

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

doug ford is the kid that wasnt allowed in the clubhouse with all the other kids so he got his mafia drug dealer dad to buy the land under the clubhouse and he's burning it down with all the other kids inside

actually they just ejected all the ndp members of parliament from the chamber, but that's a good idea there

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Possibly the first and last time the phrase "Brampton elites" will ever be used.

https://twitter.com/StephenWickens1/status/1039954134433193984

note: every time the notwithstanding clause has been attempted it has explicitly been to gently caress over people, so it was totally the anticipated use

it exists solely because conservatives wouldn't sign the charter unless they had an out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Today in Tweets that have aged well:

https://twitter.com/jasonwagar/status/1039968731533922306

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

That guy just really loves spicy food

Mmm... incapacitating

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Oh yeah I knew one of those kids

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
With the mafia father and arson/homicide

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Every neighborhood has one.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i hate living next door to the screaming child arson ghost tree, but in this economy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/EDWinnipeg/status/1040321161832411138

winnipeg's bustling tech scene that includes

*checks notes*

a company that makes shopify apps

and

*squints*

a company that abuses contractor loopholes to pay employees less than minimum wage

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think every tech scene includes companies that match those descriptions

skip had a decent exit, at least

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

this has been discussed to death, his invocation of s33 is entirely legal, there was never any question of that. it's just also a really loving dumb reason to do it

even quebec pursued all other legal options before they went to the clause.

I am enjoying watching libertarians defend this move though lmao

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They have an emerging tech sector in the sense that Malaysia has an emerging economy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

They have an emerging tech sector in the sense that Malaysia has an emerging economy

oh, I don’t think Winnipeg is hot poo poo, I just think Darius’ choice of criticism is weak

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

even quebec pursued all other legal options before they went to the clause.

it's cool. council just voted to instruct their counsel to challenge Bill 31 (the NWC edit of Bill 5), presumably based on ??? and also unicorn farts. also they voted to ask the PM, who already explicitly said he wouldn't intervene, to intervene. so there's still hope!

personally i anticipate the constant cycle of challenges to wind up postponing the election long enough that the province just up and appoints a council on december 1st

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the worst part of this whole thing has been seeing professional journalists routinely gently caress up “council” vs “counsel”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as a complete idiot, i have to pay special attention to avoid that, and i still fail

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

a company that abuses contractor loopholes to pay employees less than minimum wage

so any company then

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

it's cool. council just voted to instruct their counsel to challenge Bill 31 (the NWC edit of Bill 5), presumably based on ??? and also unicorn farts. also they voted to ask the PM, who already explicitly said he wouldn't intervene, to intervene. so there's still hope!

personally i anticipate the constant cycle of challenges to wind up postponing the election long enough that the province just up and appoints a council on december 1st

the whole thing is just insanely stupid because they could have just waited until after the election cycle. Doug Ford couldn't be mayor of Toronto, so he became premier of ontario to become mayor of toronto.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Nov 11, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dreylad posted:

the whole thing is just insanely stupid because they could have just waited until after the election cycle. Doug Ford couldn't be mayor of Toronto, so he became premier of ontario to become mayor of toronto.

for some reason it is vitally important that doug ford becomes mayor of toronto immediately

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

for some reason it is vitally important that doug ford becomes mayor of toronto immediately

new conspiracy theory, this is all an elaborate setup to dissolve toronto city government and appoint doug ford toronto dictator-for-life, at which point he will resign the premiership and hand control back over to elliott and the pc establishment

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
well thank god he got primier ship because otherwise he would have become prime minister to become mayor of toronto

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

well thank god he got primier ship because otherwise he would have become prime minister to become mayor of toronto

there's probably some kind of limit to his power over toronto as premier, don't count the big dog out yet

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

i mean an entitled screeching loser throwing a temper tantrum is basically a pure expression of libertarianism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

there's probably some kind of limit to his power over toronto as premier, don't count the big dog out yet

nooope

if tomorrow he gets it into his head to dissolve the city of toronto, he can do that as long as his caucus vote it through

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Bernier's new party is called "The People's Party of Canada" lmao

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does the NDP have any provision for a leadership review prior to the next election? Singh like he's going to do about as well as Alexa McDonough after he finishes alienating the entire rural NDP voter base.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

why is it assumed that rural voters universally love workplace harassment and the people who do it?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THC posted:

why is it assumed that rural voters universally love workplace harassment and the people who do it?

might be getting rural and conservative confused, because cons love harassment a whole bunch

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

James Baud posted:

Does the NDP have any provision for a leadership review prior to the next election? Singh like he's going to do about as well as Alexa McDonough after he finishes alienating the entire rural NDP voter base.

What rural NDP base?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ManlyGrunting posted:

Bernier's new party is called "The People's Party of Canada" lmao

ahhahahaha

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This seems about right:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-the-war-for-toronto-is-generational-the-last-one-was-much-worse/ posted:

The War for Toronto is generational. The last one was much worse
John Ibbitson
Published 8 hours ago
Updated September 16, 2018
For Subscribers

Because Greater Toronto now contains about half of Ontario’s population, the Government of Ontario is really the Government of Toronto et al. Which is why, every generation or so, Queen’s Park finds itself fighting with the municipal government over the city’s future.

Today, the fight is over the size of Toronto council, which forced the legislature into a rare weekend sitting. Two decades ago, it was over amalgamation, and the legislature sat round the clock for more than a week. That’s how much uglier things got back then.

Also back then, the critics raged, the public shrugged, the deed was done and everyone moved on. The same will happen this time, too.

In 1997, Progressive Conservative Premier Mike Harris had the same mandate as Doug Ford: to govern in the interest of suburban voters whose values and needs had been neglected by downtown elites and previous governments. For Mr. Harris, that meant weakening the power of the City of Toronto by forcing its amalgamation with York, Etobicoke, East York, Scarborough and North York into a single city.

The amalgamation of Metropolitan Toronto (along with similar amalgamations in Ottawa-Carleton, Hamilton region and other, smaller, communities) fit with the Harris government’s larger program of downloading responsibility for some services (such as welfare) to municipalities, uploading others (such as education) to the provincial level, and creating a uniform, market-based system for assessing property values. But it was a stick in the eye to progressive voters in city centres. And those voters fought back.

Opposition formed on four fronts. First, the mayors of Metro’s constituent cities organized a plebiscite on amalgamation, which showed 76 per cent of Torontonians opposed. Second, former Toronto mayor John Sewell led a coalition of activists and other supporters opposed to the Megacity, as it was dubbed. They called themselves C4LD (Citizens for Local Democracy). The C4LD protest rallies drew thousands.

But the masterstroke came from the NDP, which wheeled into the provincial legislature a cart containing dozens of boxes holding 13,000 proposed amendments to Bill 103, the amalgamation legislation. Each amendment proposed that amalgamation could occur only after the residents of X Street had been consulted, with every single street, crescent and cul de sac earning its own amendment.

The legislature was in constant 24-hour session, as each amendment was proposed, voted on and then defeated by the governing majority. The heat from the old incandescent television lights, which could never be turned off, interacted with the carpet-cleaning fluid (and perhaps some members' socks) to produce a smell reminiscent of fish guts.

But the problem with filibusters is that they are harder on the opposition – who are fewer in number and whose members must endure longer and more frequent shifts – than they are on the government. After nine long days and nights, the filibuster collapsed.

Fourth and finally, the opposition took the government to court. But although one judge accused the Tories of “megachutzpah,” ultimately the legislation was upheld. Municipalities come and go at the whim of provincial governments.

The fight to bring down the Mike Harris government was epic: a province-wide strike by public servants, a province-wide teachers' strike, rotating one-day general strikes in major cities, court challenges, demonstrations by tens of thousands that at times threatened to become riots.

Nothing worked. For as long as the Harris government held the confidence of suburban, middle-class voters – by cutting taxes, spending and regulations – no reform was too radical. The Tories lost their way when they ran out of things to do.

This will be true of the Ford government, as well. If you are opposed to downsizing Toronto council, or to the government’s capricious use of the notwithstanding clause, ask yourself: Do suburban voters, who make up almost 70 per cent of the electorate, share my concern? If they don’t, how can I convince them?

Any other form of opposition will not deter this government. As long as Doug Ford is with suburban voters, and suburban voters are with him, this government will see things through and be re-elected in four years. It’s odd that so many of Mr. Ford’s opponents don’t seem to understand that.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the next non-pc majority should amalgamate all rural constituencies into a single one named chudville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

James Baud posted:

I think it's buried deeply enough that I'm not even outing myself by accurately stating I work at a tech company worth billions that was founded in Winnipeg.

Heck, Winnipeg might not even know!

Those posts are for people with venture capital money looking to invest in the next big thing, not people looking to get into an existing tech company