Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MrDesaude posted:

Can someone please tell me why I decided to go back to school, hate gently caress myself with math, and split my existence between working to pay rent and building tiny circuit boards under a microscope in a clean room again? Was I High? Drunk?

I love doing the coursework, but I am really hating my current job. Doing both full time and my sanity is already fraying.

Same, but also maybe opposite? I got offered well paying jobs because of my enlistment experience but decided to go to school. Now I hate school but love everything else i'm doing in the meantime. Be like me, just graduate with a 3.0 and move on. Although if I fail Multivariable Calc I may not graduate so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Woof Blitzer posted:

Listen here

A. You can either work a dumbshit job like I did and hate yourself for the rest of your life or
B. Go back to school and learn something, maybe even get a really good job afterwards who knows

The dumbshit Jobs are what motivated me to go to school.
Thank you for giving me the kick in the pants to keep me moving forward. I just feel like the goal posts keep getting moved on me.

M_Gargantua posted:

Same, but also maybe opposite? I got offered well paying jobs because of my enlistment experience but decided to go to school. Now I hate school but love everything else i'm doing in the meantime. Be like me, just graduate with a 3.0 and move on. Although if I fail Multivariable Calc I may not graduate so YMMV.

Multivariable calc...

Ok, I am going to school to design and build Printable Circuit Boards and MEMS devices and only using Tech math with a smattering of some calc and stats.

The gently caress are you doing that requires Multivariable calc?

MrDesaude fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 13, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
RF systems design.

Which, to the surprise of no one, is so complex in its actual implementation that it’s all done in CAD. Even the most mundane dummy check being done by hand is nearly useless.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

RF systems design.

Which, to the surprise of no one, is so complex in its actual implementation that it’s all done in CAD. Even the most mundane dummy check being done by hand is nearly useless.

This sounds terrible, is it?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

This sounds terrible, is it?

Yes, it is.

More because I'm paying to attend classes and get a piece of paper. If I was paying money and being taught something it would be less terrible. But alas, not how things are done around here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
That sucks. Get what you can from it I guess and just get through it.

My undergrad was terrible but the opportunities that opened for me once I had that paper mostly made up for it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Undergrad ruled because no matter how much it sucked it was always 100000000000000000^infinity better than the goddamn military.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

boop the snoot posted:

Undergrad ruled because no matter how much it sucked it was always 100000000000000000^infinity better than the goddamn military.

Better than any security blanket

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Undergrad rules because you can study whatever you loving want and just sperg out about whatever dumbshit topic you want. And you get money to do it!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
School rules because I can still get wrecked and go-to class / skip class / watch a game and they can't fire me

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm taking bowling this semester.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm taking bowling this semester.

Wassup my brother :respek:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope your final was as easy as mine was. 1 game, 1 point per pin, 100 point scale.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Retardog posted:

I hope your final was as easy as mine was. 1 game, 1 point per pin, 100 point scale.

gently caress I'd fail

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Proud Christian Mom posted:

gently caress I'd fail

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
For real I think my highest score bowling ever was in the 70s maybe, but I suppose taking a class would help

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
After seeing some other guys wearing skinny sweat pants I said gently caress it and tried mine back on only to realize that they didn’t have pockets with seems to confirm I bought girl pants but at least I have some around the house pants for when it gets cold.

In better news it turns out the schools VSO has gotten around $200k in donations from some random alumni who isn’t even a vet and the school matched that so they bought us all lifetime American legion memberships.
This brings me up to VFW, DVA and now the legion. I guess the only things left is student veterans of America?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Personally I don't join groups that would have me as a member

Marx was right

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
gently caress why why why didn't I just drop all my classes when I could have gotten away for free god drat it

i am out of my depth in this fluid class lmao what the actual gently caress was i thinking

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can withdraw for 40% of tuition ($3500)

I should calm down. I am at best not getting this first paper turned in and doing okay anyway but will much more likely continue to stumble my way through this course for a low C lol business as usual why did I ever get myself into this I could already have a job washing dishes or sweeping at a construction site

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Relax, breathe, start showing up for all of the office hours your professors offer. I had classes in undergrad I really struggled with that I made through just by putting in the face time with the teacher. The big thing is you need to find something to help you chill, since going through school stressed makes it just that harder.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

EBB posted:

Relax, breathe, start showing up for all of the office hours your professors offer. I had classes in undergrad I really struggled with that I made through just by putting in the face time with the teacher. The big thing is you need to find something to help you chill, since going through school stressed makes it just that harder.

I am trying, but I am seriously freaking out. Mostly I'm just having a struggle with the difficult abstract reasoning that I'm being asked to do for the first time in my life well into my thirties lol, but also about graduating and how hosed I am when the GI Bill runs out and how much good experience I've missed by not being a research bitch for some lab here etc

Sometimes I wish I'd studied some squishy geography or whatever, but more often I wish I'd never gotten tied up in all this.
lol I'd be like that guy who's always talking about how he did ROTC for 5 weeks or something, but instead be like, "yeah, I almost enrolled in university, but I've always had bad knees brains"

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol oops, statistical mechanics is hard. Luckily my physical chemistry prof drops the lowest score of our six exams!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DownByTheWooter posted:

I am trying, but I am seriously freaking out. Mostly I'm just having a struggle with the difficult abstract reasoning that I'm being asked to do for the first time in my life well into my thirties lol, but also about graduating and how hosed I am when the GI Bill runs out and how much good experience I've missed by not being a research bitch for some lab here etc

Sometimes I wish I'd studied some squishy geography or whatever, but more often I wish I'd never gotten tied up in all this.
lol I'd be like that guy who's always talking about how he did ROTC for 5 weeks or something, but instead be like, "yeah, I almost enrolled in university, but I've always had bad knees brains"

Can you get into VocRehab?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

DownByTheWooter posted:

I think we all hit that point somewhere. You need a strategy for managing the stress possibly something like meditation or go talk to mental health or something. Find options and start taking advantage of them.

Like EBB said use the office hours so they know you're struggling and, more specifically, why. You aren't the only one who has run into this problem so they might have a solution or some help.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I went through old people middleschool. They hammered into us the biology of whales, the best parts of a whale to harvest, trade routes to trade spermacili (lol) for hardtack across the Pacific. I’m in university now and these loving medicine and super computer makers expect me to see the periodic table of elements and splitting the atom as childs play. First day of Chem110 the professor who builds parts for super computers to discover new elements started to correct Einstein’s work.

Adult swim is not as calming as it was as a 16yo who could afford to make mistakes in life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cenen posted:

I went through old people middleschool. They hammered into us the biology of whales, the best parts of a whale to harvest, trade routes to trade spermacili (lol) for hardtack across the Pacific. I’m in university now and these loving medicine and super computer makers expect me to see the periodic table of elements and splitting the atom as childs play. First day of Chem110 the professor who builds parts for super computers to discover new elements started to correct Einstein’s work.

Adult swim is not as calming as it was as a 16yo who could afford to make mistakes in life.

You didn't have to take an intro to chemistry course? When I was forced to take it and "waste my GI Bill on dumb poo poo" I was kind of annoyed because the description just said "learn about the metric system and some elements." But it actually was a good class that built a good foundation for when we went over the same stuff but more in depth in chemistry 1.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Chemistry 1 gave me the business and I just barely passed because I thought intro courses were for suckers.

Then first week they are talking about quantum spin orbits and I was like fuuuuuuuuck

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I may or may not have have had a someone give me a few pointers while taking the math placement test. The masters program I’m looking at when this is all done has some rough prerequisites and I need to start making sure I can take those classes pretty much starting from this semester.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Any class is interesting if you find a way to apply it. Biology was boring until I started learning about plants and the energy process. Math sucked until I learned how to use it. I have to take 3 religious courses and I thought they would all suck. Nope! My last professor was so loving cool. He was real about a lot of stuff. Hearing poo poo like "They broke Jesus' legs because he was taking too long to die." is brutal and metal as gently caress. He had 2 doctorates and called people who took the bible literally 'morons.' He would ask if it made us all cannibals for participating in Eucharist. I loved just hearing about the history and learned a lot about a religion I had grown to dislike. I think the earliest teachings of Jesus were awesome, basically it was "Hey! Turn your loving life around!" Christianity went through a game of telephone and the thing we criticize toda (soul) was what led Christianity to legitimacy. 200 years AFTER Jesus died was the inclusion of souls into Christianity. Hell was where the burned trash and Heaven was anither word for God. They would not have used God but referred to him by Heaven or Holiness, etc. Philosophy led to Christianity by having the prominent philosophers of the time agree with Hellenistic tradition of the soul and that it lives on after death. Life after death was not a OG Christian thing. However, cultures change religion and the inclusion of souls into Christianity tried to put into context the teachings of Jesus, live like a good human. Do so, you can get to heaven (god). They behave well thinking that the afterlife is some real thing but people abuse it. Thats kinda what led to the reformations.

Another bit of info was that Mary was likely raped by her occupiers. Soldiers had free reign to do whatever to occupied women, including rape. It sucked to be in Galiei at that time. I always had a problem with the immaculate birth. He cleared it up for me. He stressed looking at things within the contexts of their time.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

lightpole posted:

I think we all hit that point somewhere. You need a strategy for managing the stress possibly something like meditation or go talk to mental health or something. Find options and start taking advantage of them.

Like EBB said use the office hours so they know you're struggling and, more specifically, why. You aren't the only one who has run into this problem so they might have a solution or some help.

Face Time with your professor is key. Their job is literally to teach you, and you are paying them copious amounts of money to do so. If they see you are putting in the effort and are actually trying, they are less likely to go apeshit with the red pen. If they see that you are wanting and fighting to pass, they will more often than not find a way to get you over that hump.

When it comes to stress, you have to find something that brings you to zero. When I get stressed, I go to the Gym and wear myself out, then sleep it off. One of my study partners tanks a bottle of Luksova, the other smokes weed to take the edge off

Soulex posted:

Any class is interesting if you find a way to apply it. Biology was boring until I started learning about plants and the energy process. Math sucked until I learned how to use it. I have to take 3 religious courses and I thought they would all suck. Nope! My last professor was so loving cool. He was real about a lot of stuff. Hearing poo poo like "They broke Jesus' legs because he was taking too long to die." is brutal and metal as gently caress. He had 2 doctorates and called people who took the bible literally 'morons.' He would ask if it made us all cannibals for participating in Eucharist. I loved just hearing about the history and learned a lot about a religion I had grown to dislike. I think the earliest teachings of Jesus were awesome, basically it was "Hey! Turn your loving life around!" Christianity went through a game of telephone and the thing we criticize toda (soul) was what led Christianity to legitimacy. 200 years AFTER Jesus died was the inclusion of souls into Christianity. Hell was where the burned trash and Heaven was anither word for God. They would not have used God but referred to him by Heaven or Holiness, etc. Philosophy led to Christianity by having the prominent philosophers of the time agree with Hellenistic tradition of the soul and that it lives on after death. Life after death was not a OG Christian thing. However, cultures change religion and the inclusion of souls into Christianity tried to put into context the teachings of Jesus, live like a good human. Do so, you can get to heaven (god). They behave well thinking that the afterlife is some real thing but people abuse it. Thats kinda what led to the reformations.

Another bit of info was that Mary was likely raped by her occupiers. Soldiers had free reign to do whatever to occupied women, including rape. It sucked to be in Galiei at that time. I always had a problem with the immaculate birth. He cleared it up for me. He stressed looking at things within the contexts of their time.

My World Religions professor was like that. He had insights like that into all the religions, but my favorite quote was along the lines of, "You're in power, what's the easiest way to keep all these illiterate, tree worshiping fools in line and get them to follow the law? Tell them about this super good place, and how if they gently caress up, they're going to this super bad place forever. Oh yeah, Tell them that you rule because God put you there..."
There was a fundie kid that he crushed so hard the first day, the kid dropped the class.
From that moment forward he had my undivided attention.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I checked the discussion board for an assignment to see my grade, and only 9/30 people in class have submitted it the night it's due. Good lord

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

boop the snoot posted:

The only people I really make fun of about how they dress are people who go out trying to look like they’re in the navy Seals or something. With a motto shirt, one of those hats with the Velcro American flag on it (bonus points if it’s an IR flag), combat boots, and an assault pack.

My second semester I bought a 5.11 bag with MOLLE all over it, I clenched my teeth doing it but I needed a bag that could hold six textbooks and assorted poo poo and nobody else made one.

It was exactly as much of a motard magnet as you think, but goddamnit is it a good backpack.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Woof Blitzer posted:

I checked the discussion board for an assignment to see my grade, and only 9/30 people in class have submitted it the night it's due. Good lord

Never underestimate the laziness of college students.

In one of the accounting classes I was in, there was a rather large excel assignment where we were given 20 pages of raw business / production data and had to create a master budget, complete with sales/production/direct material/MOH/ending inventory/labor budgets, a controlling overview, and a three page analysis with our recommendation on what business decisions to make.

Really basic accounting stuff, but the whole thing was still a fuckton of work. The entire thing counted for 30% of the grade, which I laughed at, because it was literally "sit down for x hours, get a free A". We had THREE full weeks to hand in the assignment at our leisure, I put it off for the second weekend and then plowed through it in about 8 hours or so total.

In the final week, other students in class started the whole "hey, have you started yours yet / how long does it take" routine, and I cautiously told them that it's easy, but there's no way to do it fast, so if they wanted to do it last-minute, they wouldn't get a bad grade, they literally wouldn't be able to finish. This continued throughout the week, with the professor continuously reminding everyone how important this was.

By Friday at noon, I was still the only guy in a class of 30 to have the assignment turned in, and spent another 3 hours tutoring a girl that was friends with my Koreans on how to do hers. There were some kids in the class that were proud of "already" having finished their sales budget, which was like 5% of the effort required, some had trouble even creating a data input sheet, because these dumb kids still had somehow not figured out how to work with Excel despite being 5 semesters deep in business school.

By Saturday at noon, I had gotten four emails from students asking me if I could help them, and one blatantly asking if he could copy my file, but he'd "totally change up the numbers and format the sheets differently so no one could ever catch us". An hour later, my professor emailed in the kindest possible tone me whether I'd be willing to help out at the student resource center for a couple of hours on Sunday with what was basically an emergency tutoring session that they hadn't found a tutor for. I called her and she said it'd be paid for under the regular tutoring program, but I had to decline since I was an international student that legally wasn't allowed to work, but I'd be happy to do it for free or just have her give the students that needed help my email.

The former wasn't an option because of university policy, and the latter wouldn't work because she had apparently received emails from twenty loving students in the class that either needed help or complained about the assignment not being "possible in that timeframe". Keep in mind this is still Saturday, and there were still almost two full days to finish the assignment, but lol that's the weekend, and how dare education that my parents pay for infringe on my right to get lit and laid, duh

Two weeks later, the anonymous grading sheet was up on the desk for people to look up their grades. Four people had 100% a handful more had around 80-90%, about half the class had less than 50%, with three people getting 0% for not turning it in. My mind was absolutely blown, but hey, at least they got what they had coming, right?

Nope. Turns out a lot of the students complained to the dean and, indeed, their loving parents who then complained to the dean on their behalf, and lo and behold, three weeks before the end of the semester, we suddenly got a totally-not-a-makeup-assignment with training wheels so more than half the loving class wouldn't fail a mandatory business milestone class.

:cripes:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 17, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was definitely a person like that in my first go at college. Didn't care because I wasn't paying. Now that I'm still not paying but know I'd be on the hook for loving up, I take things more seriously.

I had a group project in my intro to engineering project where I did nearly all of it because no one else wanted to do anything. Everyone showed up for the build but I pretty much did all the building. I wrote the entire write up where one guy helped with some of the research. Then another guy made a PowerPoint. The fourth guy never did much of anything. Don't really care as long as I get the A I need.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

People like to procrastinate. That’s how two of my friends are in my MBA/MSF program.

I’ll get to work on an assignment either right after class or the next day since I get out of class at 10 pm, but they’ll always wait until the day before it’s due to start-then they ask me if it’s hard and I tell them how much time it took me, and then they say they were up until midnight working on it. Rinse, repeat.

I love em, but group projects with them suck because I’m not a procrastinator.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My reimbursement program motivates me. I don't get the grades, I don't get paid.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm having a slightly rough readjustment from not doing poo poo all summer/recovering from some ole bullshit. Its manageable so far but no more binging games on the weekend. That shits mad counterproductive.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm having a slightly rough readjustment from not doing poo poo all summer/recovering from some ole bullshit. Its manageable so far but no more binging games on the weekend. That shits mad counterproductive.

Get an internship.

Today the chain rule for multi-variable calculus finally clicked for me. That's great progress for me. Still need to hit up office hours more and take advantage of the learning center they have available. My school has a learning center with free tutors for all the classes that have 200+ enrollees, which is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Get an internship.

Today the chain rule for multi-variable calculus finally clicked for me. That's great progress for me. Still need to hit up office hours more and take advantage of the learning center they have available. My school has a learning center with free tutors for all the classes that have 200+ enrollees, which is really nice.

Yay calculus :hfive: