Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

moths posted:

There's also going to be a non-zero amount of Narrative only rules that nobody will ever use.

Ie: DIY landraiders.

I'm going to guess that the Sisters dex will be in the open play section because what else are they going to put there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm going to guess that the Sisters dex will be in the open play section because what else are they going to put there.

In my ideal world open play would include rules for a map based campaign.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Have you guys fixed 8th edition yet?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

I think we're collectively making it worse.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I just wonder if the whole Knight/BA/AM thing is any kind of a big deal outside the very top tiers of tournament players...who are surely a tiny minority of GW's player base.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Hixson posted:

How to Fix 8th
by Two Beans

Don't play with assholes.
the end

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In my ideal world open play would include rules for a map based campaign.

That would be amazing. My FLGS has a set of the old school tiles and our resident cat-wrangler wants to do a campaign using them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jng2058 posted:

I just wonder if the whole Knight/BA/AM thing is any kind of a big deal outside the very top tiers of tournament players...who are surely a tiny minority of GW's player base.

I ran into a bunch of Knights in the narrative (admittedly including my own). They're really, really not fun to play against unless you have something to counter them. Personally I think that's a bigger problem than CP shenanigans.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Wizard posted:

Ive never used them before, what would you want to seem them do?

Heavy 2D3 at the minimum, (upgraded to heavy D6+2 shots or something when targeting a large enough unit) or D6 minimum 3 shots against all targets. At best those boosts plus a range extension. Or something for melee using that big plow on the front.

It's a cool tank that I would like to field more of in my Imperial Fists army, but they're honestly useless.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Heavy 2D3 at the minimum, (upgraded to heavy D6+2 shots or something when targeting a large enough unit) or D6 minimum 3 shots against all targets. At best those boosts plus a range extension. Or something for melee using that big plow on the front.

It's a cool tank that I would like to field more of in my Imperial Fists army, but they're honestly useless.

They don't need more range. Being short ranged is part of what they've always done.

I would give it 2d3 shots against under 10, increasing by 2d3 every time you hit 10 (so 4d3 against 10-19, 6d3 against 20-29). S10 ap-4, 2 damage.

Then give it a single shot mode that has the same stat line but 3d3 damage or something.

They should be a tank that has no range but is really loving terrifying when it hits you. The plow is already represented as best 8th can by it being t8 instead of most other marine tanks at t7.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

moths posted:

There's also going to be a non-zero amount of Narrative only rules that nobody will ever use.

Ie: DIY landraiders.

the custom land raider rule were so laughably bad they could have just made them good for matched play.

WATCH OUT, NoVA--I'm bringing a CHAOS LAND RAIDER WITH REAPER AUTOCANNONS INSTEAD OF HEAVY BOLTERS

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

They don't need more range. Being short ranged is part of what they've always done.

I would give it 2d3 shots against under 10, increasing by 2d3 every time you hit 10 (so 4d3 against 10-19, 6d3 against 20-29). S10 ap-4, 2 damage.

Then give it a single shot mode that has the same stat line but 3d3 damage or something.

They should be a tank that has no range but is really loving terrifying when it hits you. The plow is already represented as best 8th can by it being t8 instead of most other marine tanks at t7.

Unironic :hmmyes:

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I fell into GW’s trap. Wanted to get this mechanicus ferratonic terrain piece to use as a bastion, but then saw that the Killzone: Sector Mechanicus box comes with it. And also a bunch of other stuff and a game board for a lot less than buying separately. So clearly by buying this incredible savings it’s like I’m actually making money!

And of course now I’m gonna need to get some more terrain to fill it out, it’s just basic logic.

Treser
Sep 2, 2013

It's not supposed to be safe

I really want to run Carcharodons, and they have a forgeworld model that I want to run as well, but his abilities only affect other Carcharodons and they don't have any chapter tactics. I feel that Blood Angels fit their theme the most and was going to play them as BA, but I don't know if I throw the model in the list if it will affect the other models since it only affects Carcharodons. Anybody have any experience with situations like this?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Treser posted:

I really want to run Carcharodons, and they have a forgeworld model that I want to run as well, but his abilities only affect other Carcharodons and they don't have any chapter tactics. I feel that Blood Angels fit their theme the most and was going to play them as BA, but I don't know if I throw the model in the list if it will affect the other models since it only affects Carcharodons. Anybody have any experience with situations like this?

It will not affect the other models.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

the custom land raider rule were so laughably bad they could have just made them good for matched play.

WATCH OUT, NoVA--I'm bringing a CHAOS LAND RAIDER WITH REAPER AUTOCANNONS INSTEAD OF HEAVY BOLTERS

its less that and more the ultimate engine of dakka you could build with hurricane bolters heavy bolters assault cannons and storm bolters.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

its less that and more the ultimate engine of dakka you could build with hurricane bolters heavy bolters assault cannons and storm bolters.

It still wouldn't be good enough to bring to a competitive game

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Repulsor is basically that. A Land Raider with a stupid number of guns.

It’s hilariously un-fun to play against that number of dice rolls. Not because it’s good at killing things, but because it takes too drat long to resolve one model’s shooting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

It still wouldn't be good enough to bring to a competitive game

It would be funny though

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Is this really real?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/09/40k-monopoly-the-grimdark-property-exchange-now-available.html

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yes.
May I also interest you in Fortnite Monopoly?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Badablack posted:

I fell into GW’s trap. Wanted to get this mechanicus ferratonic terrain piece to use as a bastion, but then saw that the Killzone: Sector Mechanicus box comes with it. And also a bunch of other stuff and a game board for a lot less than buying separately. So clearly by buying this incredible savings it’s like I’m actually making money!

And of course now I’m gonna need to get some more terrain to fill it out, it’s just basic logic.

It's like free money!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Can we not link BoLS in here?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's like free money!

Surely, since this is terrain and a game board, it’s more like... free real estate?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I would have liked just any option for chaos land raiders period.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Can we not link BoLS in here?

What are the best sites for 40k content, articles etc? I see a lot of hate on here for BoLS, Spikeybits, Frontline. Is anything agreed upon as quality?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Warhammer Community actually posting things removed a lot of the need for those sites unless you're really into their opinion articles or battle reports. I just read the official site, this thread and the discord.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Warhammer Community actually posting things removed a lot of the need for those sites unless you're really into their opinion articles or battle reports. I just read the official site, this thread and the discord.

:same:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ham Community post everything but the most rare of rare leaks. BOLS is literally some guy making educated guesses or passing off community updates as hot info.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Personal wishlist: Make selected traditional 'big template' weapons have a variable number of shots based on the target. More models in the target unit = More dice, representing more things hit in one blast.

If the Vindicator for example was 4/9/15(!) shots for Units of increasing sizes with the little range it has, it'd be suitably terrifying to be near.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Every time I fire my old favourite battery of plasma cannons, it makes me sad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shockeh posted:

Personal wishlist: Make selected traditional 'big template' weapons have a variable number of shots based on the target. More models in the target unit = More dice, representing more things hit in one blast.

If the Vindicator for example was 4/9/15(!) shots for Units of increasing sizes with the little range it has, it'd be suitably terrifying to be near.

It already does that to an extent. d3 shots unless you're shooting at 5+ models, then d6. The problem is that it sucks. You're paying 125 points for, on average, 2 lascannon shots at half the range. On a platform that only has 11 wounds, no invulnerable save, and gets a penalty to hit when it moves. It's a joke of a weapon.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It already does that to an extent. d3 shots unless you're shooting at 5+ models, then d6. The problem is that it sucks. You're paying 125 points for, on average, 2 lascannon shots at half the range. On a platform that only has 11 wounds, no invulnerable save, and gets a penalty to hit when it moves. It's a joke of a weapon.

Yeah, I mean, with a lot more oomph, and preferably something to reflect that it's a siege cannon, which is bad at hitting fortified targets. Also, it needs to have some guaranteed shots at least.

If it was like....

Baseline - 4 Shots
5+ Models - 4 + D6 Shots
10+ Models 8 + D6 Shots

And some kind of siege rule that makes it not give a gently caress about modifiers or w/e. Even then it's a 24" range gun that actually doesn't average that many hits. I'm cool with it taking the -1 for moving, because that makes sense; It's a dirty great siege cannon that should roll up, park then shell the poo poo out of something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Personally I think it should do a flat 6 damage.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Personally I think it should do a flat 6 damage.

:hmmyes:

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I really disagree. Scaling the number of shots based on size of the target unit is a lovely design. A pie plate in 2nd-7th would usually hit approximatly the same number of marines as it would orks unless you where a complete moron when it came to unit coherency. In the majority of circumstances the only tangible effect squad size had on artillery was scatter distances. If you want artillery to increase the size of the explosions when aimed at bigger squads then in fairness if a target squad has 10 or less models then each unit within 3" should take extra shots too.

Having a single weapon be the one-stop-shop for taking out elites, hordes, vehicles, and everything in between isn't a good for games. Artillery that underperforms now is a result of a low number of average hits vs other weapons. Lousy artillery/ordinance needs either a higher number shots, or a decent number of automatic hits. Strength, AP and Damage are how you balance those shots/hits for its role be it anti-horde, anti-fortification, anti-armour etc. The only additional complexity that should be considered is a different shot/hit profile for direct and indirect fire.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
+1 to hit on units of 11+ models makes sense.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Here’s a solution: templates.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Keep whirlwinds as the anti-horde unit and give vindicators something more like the neutron laser's profile.

Also still a fan of the suggestion that terminator armor reduces all damage to 1.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ijyt posted:

Here’s a solution: templates.