Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Does IoT poo poo cost less than employing people?

There's your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That stuff is for sure remotely monitored/controlled so it wouldn't take an internet connection for people to be able to inconspicuously compromise the network

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's almost certainly connected to the internet anyway, don't look into this stuff too close if you enjoy sleeping because SCADA poo poo is hilariously insecure, even the new stuff post stuxnet, nobody learned anything, it's all still plain text over emulated serial. All of it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

egyptian rat race posted:

Can anybody who works in utilities confirm that residential gas line distribution networks are connected to the Internet of Things? Cause at this point I'm willing to believe someone would try to gently caress with supply pressure / safeties at distribution points

Didn't that happen in the Die Hard movie with Timothy Olyphant as the internet bad guy?

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

Can anybody who works in utilities confirm that residential gas line distribution networks are connected to the Internet of Things? Cause at this point I'm willing to believe someone would try to gently caress with supply pressure / safeties at distribution points

There are some industrial control systems that are Internet-connected (sometimes unknowingly because people are bad at implementing things) and a lot that are air-gapped. I'm sure someone will gently caress up and get Alexa to run their electrical distribution systems some day but more likely they'll just gently caress up because they're still controlling things with the same computer running pirated Windows XP Pro that's been running nonstop since 2002.

It's a crapshoot and really depends on who owns and operates the infrastructure in question. I've worked with some electrical grid clients in the past who were regional and they definitely had to pick their battles between security and availability.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I think that gas stations are controlled electronically, I don't know the specifics though, I just install the pipe, the actual gas company we are contracted by does all that. That being said, we test lines 4x their operating pressure for hours depending on the situation (ie. steel services are 4h above ground and 24h if tested after installed) so someone must have hosed up bad. There are also always mechanical valves so you can shut down mains manually if needed. This is in Ontario though

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/1040361795519541249

Hmmm, yes this seems relevant to the case.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

at least they aren't using a mugshot type photo of him

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

at least they aren't using a mugshot type photo of him

they're definitely pissed they can't find anything but pictures of him looking good in a suit

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
In line with the cybersecurity conversation :

https://v.redd.it/yj03etncv2m11

There is always a better idiot. Security is a myth.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Is it normal to issue search warrants for murder victims' homes?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oct posted:

There are some industrial control systems that are Internet-connected (sometimes unknowingly because people are bad at implementing things) and a lot that are air-gapped. I'm sure someone will gently caress up and get Alexa to run their electrical distribution systems some day but more likely they'll just gently caress up because they're still controlling things with the same computer running pirated Windows XP Pro that's been running nonstop since 2002.

It's a crapshoot and really depends on who owns and operates the infrastructure in question. I've worked with some electrical grid clients in the past who were regional and they definitely had to pick their battles between security and availability.

It's airgapped until the maintenance guys want the Slovakian equipment manufacturer to remote in and after about 3 hours of fighting with IT about opening the firewall for a $4,000,000 machine that still runs NT 3.5, maintenance breaks out the 4g hotspot they bought off-books for this exact purpose

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but somebody totally called this and got responses saying "well actually it's totally routine to get a warrant to look for cameras that might have recorded the murder." Nah, turns out they just wanted to find/plant a dimebag

If they had good intentions with the search why would they have released the information about the weed to the media?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 14, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

No they're trying to fluff up the cop's side of the story so that they can dismiss/invalidate the manslaughter charge (which honestly ought to be a murder charge)

ACAB.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Search... Warrant...? :confused:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Vasily Blokhin the entire department

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I know the pot is a manufactured reason to absolve the cop. My question is is it normal to issue a search warrant for the home of a murder victim?

Because I'm thinking it's not and if it isn't, it's amazing how loving brazen this bullshit is.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Probable cause he's black They don't need a warrant.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

MRC48B posted:

Probable cause he's black They don't need a warrant.

The first words on the article are "search warrant:"

But as someone in discord pointed out, some jurisdictions may require it to go in the home of the victim.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
As soon as the Texas Rangers were called in any chance of this investigation being even slightly legit went out the window

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Anytime I hear Texas rangers I think of the baseball team

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The first words on the article are "search warrant:"

But as someone in discord pointed out, some jurisdictions may require it to go in the home of the victim.

Getting a search warrant is not unusual, and this may well have been an instance of a "dot every I, cross every T" investigation.

On the other hand, unless the MJ was out on the coffee table in the living room or there was some history between the two we don't know about, it does seem a little strange to be digging this deep into the dead guy's stuff.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

joat mon posted:

Getting a search warrant is not unusual, and this may well have been an instance of a "dot every I, cross every T" investigation.

On the other hand, unless the MJ was out on the coffee table in the living room or there was some history between the two we don't know about, it does seem a little strange to be digging this deep into the dead guy's stuff.

I always just kept mine in a cabinet in the kitchen. Or in a drawer in my room.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Storm flag is in tatters but holding strong into the night.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

to all the cops and cop defenders, this is enough for them to not question their unwaivering faith in the boots that they lick lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He was no angel.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It was the cops weed!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
violent thug with schedule 1 narcotics

while looking good in a suit

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

He was no angel.

I mean, he is now.

Edit: Too far? I'm starting to feel bad about this one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

I mean, he is now.

If you back down I'm giving you a month. You make a call like this one you gotta ride it out

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:mcnally:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

I mean, he is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fknSfRH1G4k

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
No dark humor allowed in the Internet VFW, McNally.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nice to see the beast doing challenges that won't kill him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

McNally posted:

I mean, he is now.

How dare you assume my religion

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Flynn continues to be awful.

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1040332415263301632?s=21

Hey, I got an angry avatar, but can’t see its full glory on awful app.

I guess explaining to Sky Shark that it’s dumb to defend the hell out of the NRA’s rant against Thomas the Tank Engine (really!) was too much and one of his fans had to step in. Or him. Who knows?

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 14, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1040332415263301632?s=21

Hey, I got an angry avatar, but can’t see its full glory on awful app.

I guess explaining to Sky Shark that it’s dumb to defend the hell out of the NRA’s rant against Thomas the Tank Engine was too much and ine of his fans had to step in. Or him. Who knows?
I'm still holding out hope he and his stupid kid go to prison.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm still holding out hope he and his stupid kid go to prison.

I really enjoyed Chapo talking about Flynn and Flynn Jr like they were an Abbot and Costello routine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXBkcTVZ5ng

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Feels like he needs to join Ollie North in having "convicted felon" before his name at every mention, just as a reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I know the pot is a manufactured reason to absolve the cop. My question is is it normal to issue a search warrant for the home of a murder victim?

Because I'm thinking it's not and if it isn't, it's amazing how loving brazen this bullshit is.

Well the murder did take place in his home...

• Locked thread