Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Convex posted:

Thanks guys! I already got the boots which helps, but I think my own patience is the bigger challenge... Will stick with it though :)

You might consider rebinding the keys for dash/jump/attack if you can, since it can be super useful to hit all 3 of those in quick succession, and it always gave me hand cramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

it feels like it was shoved in there by fiat considering how easy it is to just knock out all the towers and never think about them again

I think it's a boon in an open world game when otherwise you'd open your map and be overwhelmed by dozens of icons all at once (though Spidderman does a good job of introducing new open world stuff as you go).

See also: the map in Saboteur. You start the game, get to the open world part, open the map and holy poo poo hundreds of white dots all over the place.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Witcher 3 did open-world mostly right. It's broken up into regions that are hundreds of miles apart, so you don't have a desert next to a glacier. Instead of climbing a tower for some stupid reason you just look at a notice-board to put POIs on the map. The voice-acting budget extends to even the dirt-poor villagers, so every quest gets cutscenes. The world is not in service to the player. Merchants sell junk you'll never use, quest-givers give gently caress-all coin for your hard-work because they're skint, and quests themselves can be easily failed since they overlap and often tie in with the main quest.

Really there's two kinds of sandbox: the role-playing one and the 100-percentible one. The first-type gives you lots of choices and lets screw up, like New Vegas or Dark Souls. The second-type doesn't let you miss out content, usually has auto-save only, and has 100 percent-completion as an endgame-goal for getting your money's worth. The problem with the latter-type is that often the content of the game is repeated past the point of freshness and devolves into box-ticking like Assassin's Creed.

Never forget.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Sep 13, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BioEnchanted posted:

Just looked up a pretty annoying mechanic in Blood Omen as I've started playing through it (onto taking out Malek), the moon caves. There are some caves that are sealed until the night of a full moon, which is every few nights, which means hella waiting game. Hate that kind of timewaster. Apparently there is only one important one though, the others are optional.

The game is otherwise really good, it's just this mechanic is obnoxious.

I'm glad you're enjoying Blood Omen, it's my favorite of the series which puts me in a huge minority (Soul Reaver is deservedly held in high esteem regardless) but I always loved BO's atmosphere and this encroaching sense of doom as the world dies and you basically spur it on.

The dungeon design is also fantastic.

That being said one of my major issues with that game are the extremely loving annoying traps.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Witcher 3 did open-world mostly right. It's broken up into regions that are hundreds of miles apart, so you don't have a desert next to a glacier. Instead of climbing a tower for some stupid reason you just look at a notice-board to put POIs on the map. The voice-acting budget extends to even the dirt-poor villagers, so every quest gets cutscenes. The world is not in service to the player. Merchants sell junk you'll never use, quest-givers give gently caress-all coin for your hard-work because they're skint, and quests themselves can be easily failed since they overlap and often tie in with the main quest.

Really there's two kinds of sandbox: the role-playing one and the 100-percentible one. The first-type gives you lots of choices and lets screw up, like New Vegas or Dark Souls. The second-type doesn't let you miss out content, usually has auto-save only, and has 100 percent-completion as an endgame-goal for getting your money's worth. The problem with the latter-type is that often the content of the game is repeated past the point of freshness and devolves into box-ticking like Assassin's Creed.

Never forget.

The Witcher 3's open world is extremely static. It's gorgeous and a lot of fun to explore, but the NPCs are just idiots you can't hurt that do a whole lot of nothing.
I was probably spoiled by Ultima 7 back in the day but I've always found open world RPGs with NPCs that don't do much of anything or really don't interact with the world to be super disappointing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Sep 13, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blood Omen is generally remembered fondly even if it is quite different from the rest of the series. Blood Omen 2 is the one everybody hates.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never beat 2, but remember liking what I played of it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SubNat posted:

(It's not a level, it's a quick 1 minute gag in one of the quests.)

Well that is very understandable.
They way they 'don't work', is that they use normal reflection maps for their reflections. (Aka they just plopped in a camera probe and rendered what the mirrors would see, saved that as a texture, and used it on the mirrors.)
That's how most videogame reflections work.
Even a top end desktop would severely chug if they tried to actually do proper realtime reflections, aka proper mirrors. Atleast without raytracing assistance.

When I played Arma 3 and noted the fact that the cars, trucks, and similar vehicles all had multiple working mirrors on them and working rear-view cameras on the dashboard, I realized that the lack of even just bathroom mirrors in most games is laziness more than tech limitations

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

When I played Arma 3 and noted the fact that the cars, trucks, and similar vehicles all had multiple working mirrors on them and working rear-view cameras on the dashboard, I realized that the lack of even just bathroom mirrors in most games is laziness more than tech limitations

Those are way more manageable than a house of mirrors, though, where you have reflections of reflections of reflections.

I remember seeing a working mirror in Deus Ex back in 2000 and having it blow my drat mind.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BattleMaster posted:

It's really not laziness. The problem is that in order to do a mirror image of the game world, you have to render the game world twice. No way around that. You can downscale the reflection, but you always have to render the entire scene again.

It's funny because modern games have more trouble with mirrors than old games, because in order for the mirror reflection to look anything like the gameworld, they have to use all that computing power twice for a thing most people won't even notice.

We had working mirrors in original DOOM mods. We had mirrors in Duke Nukem 3D. The tech is as old as the 90s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vic posted:

It's really not laziness. The problem is that in order to do a mirror image of the game world, you have to render the game world twice. No way around that. You can downscale the reflection, but you always have to render the entire scene again.

It's funny because modern games have more trouble with mirrors than old games, because in order for the mirror reflection to look anything like the gameworld, they have to use all that computing power twice for a thing most people won't even notice.

We had working mirrors in original DOOM mods. We had mirrors in Duke Nukem 3D. The tech is as old as the 90s

Yeah, that's the crux of the issue. In the older games graphics weren't as much of a bottleneck yet so you could still pull it off, but as graphics capabilities (and expectations) improved, that quickly hit a wall. So now when you're using mirrors in a scene, you have to contend with one of two consequences: Either the scene can only have about half as much detail in it as without a mirror, or the performance will drop by a similar degree (or a combination of the two). That's just not as obvious in Arma, because it always kinda runs like balls no matter what you do. For other games that have a greater focus on high fidelity and/or smooth performance, it's not much of a choice at all, the gimmick of a mirror is not at all worth the trade-off.

Now there's one possible way around that issue, raytracing. It's a completely different approach to rendering a scene, and allows you to do reflections and even reflections of reflections with a relatively much lower impact on performance per reflection. But the trouble there is that it has a much higher baseline complexity than the regular approach, so in a scene without any reflections you'd end up with worse performance. So for the longest time raytracing was only an option for pre-rendered scenes like in movies or cutscenes. We're only just now starting to see graphics cards powerful enough to handle that in real time, and right now those things still cost like a thousand bucks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that's the crux of the issue. In the older games graphics weren't as much of a bottleneck yet so you could still pull it off, but as graphics capabilities (and expectations) improved, that quickly hit a wall. So now when you're using mirrors in a scene, you have to contend with one of two consequences: Either the scene can only have about half as much detail in it as without a mirror, or the performance will drop by a similar degree (or a combination of the two). That's just not as obvious in Arma, because it always kinda runs like balls no matter what you do. For other games that have a greater focus on high fidelity and/or smooth performance, it's not much of a choice at all, the gimmick of a mirror is not at all worth the trade-off.

Now there's one possible way around that issue, raytracing. It's a completely different approach to rendering a scene, and allows you to do reflections and even reflections of reflections with a relatively much lower impact on performance per reflection. But the trouble there is that it has a much higher baseline complexity than the regular approach, so in a scene without any reflections you'd end up with worse performance. So for the longest time raytracing was only an option for pre-rendered scenes like in movies or cutscenes. We're only just now starting to see graphics cards powerful enough to handle that in real time, and right now those things still cost like a thousand bucks.

And judging by demonstrations so far those GPUs still have a hell of a time rendering it at framerates that are desirable by modern standards, like sub-40 fps at 1080p.

It DOES look stunning though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In regards to open-world pacing it's kind of a bummer to return the main plot of Black Flag, because halfway through you unlock all the side-content and when you exhaust it all you have to follow the main-missions again, where you must do dumb poo poo like tailing people and boat-stealth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Portal did a few cheats that allowed for graphically decent house of mirror effects, but it only had two portals to deal with

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BiggerBoat posted:

How does that even work? I take it that's a Mysterio level? Is there video anywhere? So jealous I can't play this game since I'm stuck on Xbone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppzK4yJKsG4

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vic posted:

I woudn't really call what those old games did "tech". They just had windows that peered into a mirrored version of the room with a duplicated player sprite. Or similarly, shiny reflective floors would just have an upside down copy of the room geometry underneath a transparent layer. Far easier to do than any kind of fancy pants "real" mirror effect.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vic posted:

This game can handle 2 mirrors on each side and a rear view camera in real time in dense urban and forested outdoors environments with no tricks other than maybe less lighting and a bit lower resolution, while you don't even get mirrors in bathrooms in modern games even though all they have to rerender is a couple of characters, some sinks, and some goddamn toilets

Like Prey, which does fancy illusory glass effects that have to render entire other second scenes didn't even have bathroom mirrors

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Isn't Arma infamous for requiring an absolutely heroic PC for very little in the way of beauty.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Like come on, the game that does this:

Where it is rendering two distinct scenes and stenciling one onto panes of glass that can be broken, has to render bathroom mirrors like this?

Technical limitations my rear end, that bathroom has far less detail and special effects than the cityscape.

edit: it's because it's not worth the effort to make a model for the player and animate it and synch it up to the player's movements in a single player game, not because it's some insurmountable technical task to draw the lovely little bathroom a second time per frame

but if you have all that stuff, like for a multiplayer game or a third person game, it just starts to be laziness

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Sep 14, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is absolutely a huge technical component to it, and when getting around technical limitations of something ends up being a huge resource investment, it isn't really "laziness" anymore to decide to put those resources somewhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozDAT_f1ZU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yes yes I get that you have to render most of the scene twice if you have a mirror but when you're just drawing like a bathroom it's hardly taxing your rendering resources... and yet Arma 3 does multiple real reflections and dashboard cameras when it's rendering forests and cities.

And then Prey is egregious when there are multiple parts in the game where two or more entirely distinct scenes are rendered at once to do the Looking Glass effect, which is considered not to be too many resources used, but then uses vaseline-smeared mirrors

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They don't do it because it's a waste of resources to please the half a dozen people who care about functioning mirrors in videogames.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
older games animated mirrors by just creating a entire mirrored version of the same room behind a pane of clear glass, it's great

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

older games animated mirrors by just creating a entire mirrored version of the same room behind a pane of clear glass, it's great

Duke 3D did something cool where you had to allocate space in your map for the mirrored zone but didn't have to recreate the geometry, but you could still noclip into the mirror and explore the bizarre mirror realm

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That's the kicker for me, most of them aren't even doing these weird tricks any more.
Some games still do but I believe it's reserved for spooky horror games over anything else.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Yes yes I get that you have to render most of the scene twice if you have a mirror but when you're just drawing like a bathroom it's hardly taxing your rendering resources... and yet Arma 3 does multiple real reflections and dashboard cameras when it's rendering forests and cities.

And then Prey is egregious when there are multiple parts in the game where two or more entirely distinct scenes are rendered at once to do the Looking Glass effect, which is considered not to be too many resources used, but then uses vaseline-smeared mirrors

"Resources" in this case refers to developer time that could be spent on other areas of the game. Some first-person games don't even have a model for the player character, or have one that's made for cutscenes but doesn't have animations for all of the things a player can do during regular play. The model for the weapon in your hand might only look right from the first-person perspective, or might use effects tricks that don't work from other angles. Creating all of those things so they appear correctly in a mirror (along with the programming work to make mirrors actually reflect, and to load your character model when you're in an area that has mirrors and whatnot) for the, like, three mirrors that appear in a game can be done, but would it be worth it if, for example, Prey had to cut one of its enemy types to make time for that work?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Triarii posted:

"Resources" in this case refers to developer time that could be spent on other areas of the game. Some first-person games don't even have a model for the player character, or have one that's made for cutscenes but doesn't have animations for all of the things a player can do during regular play. The model for the weapon in your hand might only look right from the first-person perspective, or might use effects tricks that don't work from other angles. Creating all of those things so they appear correctly in a mirror (along with the programming work to make mirrors actually reflect, and to load your character model when you're in an area that has mirrors and whatnot) for the, like, three mirrors that appear in a game can be done, but would it be worth it if, for example, Prey had to cut one of its enemy types to make time for that work?

I think there's multiple games that don't actually have a jumping animation, your character model just magical hops into the air while remaining otherwise motionless, and it of course looks silly in their fully functioning mirrors.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

exquisite tea posted:

Blood Omen is generally remembered fondly even if it is quite different from the rest of the series. Blood Omen 2 is the one everybody hates.

Blood Omen 2 was cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked all the ones I played, just haven't beaten any of them except for Defiance, which had a really cool boss fight between Kain and Raziel where you fight at Kain initially fighting Raziel, then partway through the fight the perspective switches and you finish the fight as Raziel.

Spoiled because it's the last game in the series and I don't know if many people played that one or not.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Murdoch posted:

I think there's multiple games that don't actually have a jumping animation, your character model just magical hops into the air while remaining otherwise motionless, and it of course looks silly in their fully functioning mirrors.

There's a reason that it's still a big deal when you can see your feet in an FPS.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hitman 2 will have working mirrors that affect gameplay. Also with ray tracing mirrors will become as common as anything else.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I finished Horizon Zero Dawn recently and while i enjoyed the game as a whole i really disliked that you have to stop moving to pick things up. Monster Hunter World has spoiled me in that regard :sigh:

At least the DLC added the ability to pick stuff up while mounted.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
HD remasters using way too much bloom is annoying me.

This is in the .hack//GU HD remaster that came out last November. The camera is focusing on the sun behind the character's head, causing unnecessary bloom and throwing the rest of the image into contrast, effectively underexposing it. Also don't forget the liberal amounts of blur applied to make it difficult to pick out any one individual detail of this overdesigned character.

This poo poo seems to be endemic to HD remasters. Just slap on some bloom effects and use cutscene models in gameplay and call it a day.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I get that it's not practical for a game like Spider-Man that is already designed to push a piece of proprietary hardware to its limits to re-render a scene several times over in the name of having functioning mirrors, I just thought it was funny that they went out of their way to draw attention to the fact by setting a part of the game in a house of mirrors. They could have just done it in a fun house or something instead of running through a building of black glass like a Pokemon character calling rice balls donuts.

Sininu posted:

Hitman 2 will have working mirrors that affect gameplay. Also with ray tracing mirrors will become as common as anything else.

Mirrors in games are like Greek fire and Damascus steel, lost to the ages and only now with new technology finally being brought back.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Games made between 2002 - 2010 all had just a bunch of bloom slapped on top.

Hilarious but now after googling these I have to throw away my monitor due to burn-in

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ. :stare:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll never stop laughing at Oblivion's overuse of bloom. Shiny rocks! Shiny grass! Shiny trees!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thanks.

HOLY poo poo this game looks good. I wish there were still places to rent consoles so I could binge through this in a weekend. Still seems to me they could have rendered the reflections but I'm not a computer expert. At least they could have put a bunch of different Mysterios in the mirrors.

Seems to me there was a hall of mirrors in one of the Batman games where you had to pinpoint the real Joker...?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks.

HOLY poo poo this game looks good. I wish there were still places to rent consoles so I could binge through this in a weekend. Still seems to me they could have rendered the reflections but I'm not a computer expert. At least they could have put a bunch of different Mysterios in the mirrors.

Seems to me there was a hall of mirrors in one of the Batman games where you had to pinpoint the real Joker...?

I assume that means you don't have a Family Video nearby because they do exactly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

More like retinal burn-in.