Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I said i don't have a racing wheel. Do any serious sim people play with a controller? In any case my dream racing game would be forza horizon with vr and also the game didn't crash all the time: pretty but arcadey and works well with a controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’ll probably like pcars2, again, there’s a demo, so you can know for sure

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sweet I'll give it a spin

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not really because Project Cars 2 isnt very good to begin with. Assetto Corsa is $19.99 on steam and is much better.

However, there is a Project Cars 2 demo on steam, so download it and try it if you want

These are opinions masquerading as facts. I prefer PCars2 to AC.

Jenny Agutter posted:

I said i don't have a racing wheel. Do any serious sim people play with a controller? In any case my dream racing game would be forza horizon with vr and also the game didn't crash all the time: pretty but arcadey and works well with a controller

All "serious" sim people play with a wheel. A controller is a vastly different experience and kinda inherently takes some of the "sim" out of it.

But do what makes you happy.

(Seriously though get a used wheel on ebay or craigslist or something, anything is better than nothing)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got a mint condition driving force gt for $25. It’s not expensive to dip your toes into a sim racing wheel

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

These are opinions masquerading as facts. I prefer PCars2 to AC.

Both are garbage.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ive never used a wheel. Its so far removed from the real thing a wheel doesnt add anything for me and ive never felt like a cant feel the car. Eventually your brain just kinda makes it work i guess. The challenge of driving a car really shouldnt be twitch steering skills because that really not the case with the real deal its deciding how to go about and attack it. I guess its harder to fine tune weight shifts but with speed sensitivity you can pretty much get the feel spot in imo. Its really not like you miss out on the character of each car with a controller but i guess it probably takes a long time to get that comfortable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you ever used a good wheel?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah i just dont care. I mean i get it and i like them just not enough to pay for a quality one or drag it out everytime i play. If they were like 100 dollars i guess id pop on one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i just dont care. I mean i get it and i like them just not enough to pay for a quality one or drag it out everytime i play. If they were like 100 dollars i guess id pop on one.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got a mint condition driving force gt for $25. It’s not expensive to dip your toes into a sim racing wheel

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DogonCrook posted:

Ive never used a wheel. Its so far removed from the real thing a wheel doesnt add anything for me and ive never felt like a cant feel the car. Eventually your brain just kinda makes it work i guess. The challenge of driving a car really shouldnt be twitch steering skills because that really not the case with the real deal its deciding how to go about and attack it. I guess its harder to fine tune weight shifts but with speed sensitivity you can pretty much get the feel spot in imo. Its really not like you miss out on the character of each car with a controller but i guess it probably takes a long time to get that comfortable.

Sure it's not like the real thing but why make it even worse for yourself by insisting on using a controller (which takes it from "feels a bit off from reality" to "literally undriveable")?

The answer to "what sims are good if I'm using a controller?" is "none" and your bizarre aversion to using a wheel isn't going to change that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah you can’t really say “I’ve never used a wheel” and then follow it up with how you’re absolutely sure it isn’t realistic and is far removed from the real thing.

It’s as realistic as any virtual simulation of the real world can be in tyool 2018, which is to say pretty convincing.

It’s OK if you don’t want to buy a wheel, but don’t justify it with “this thing ive never touched or used is not good”

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Use whatever works, keyboard, joypad, wheel, it's all groovy - but, this is the simulation thread so I think it's reasonable to try to simulate cars as best as possible here, and that absolutely includes getting a wheel.
I used to have this hilarious wheel that had 'force feedback' that consisted of bungee cords inside the wheel to create tension, it loving sucked and soured my opinion of wheels in general, I'd simply fly into barriers with complete abandon at all times.
Now I have a decent wheel, I still fly into barriers with complete abandon but now at least I know it's my fault, and it's fun as hell :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Use whatever works, keyboard, joypad, wheel, it's all groovy - but, this is the simulation thread so I think it's reasonable to try to simulate cars as best as possible here, and that absolutely includes getting a wheel.
I used to have this hilarious wheel that had 'force feedback' that consisted of bungee cords inside the wheel to create tension, it loving sucked and soured my opinion of wheels in general, I'd simply fly into barriers with complete abandon at all times.
Now I have a decent wheel, I still fly into barriers with complete abandon but now at least I know it's my fault, and it's fun as hell :v:

There was a guy on the iracing forums who would poo poo up fanatec threads saying they were toy wheels. A real wheel to him was some overly expensive wheel that consisted of a potentiometer and two springs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if one were unconvinced a wheel makes a game feel real, it's unreasonable to argue that a wheel isn't a superior input method. A thumb stick has maybe an inch of travel which makes it extremely hard to perform small steering adjustments, this is why most people playing on a controller steer with small taps. A wheel trivially lets you pick a precise angle and hold it there for as long as necessary.

In the bad old days tap steering was probably fine (and I think a controller could actually result in faster lap times because of it), but now that it's standard for games to individually simulate each tire and a full working suspension that kind of control is gonna unsettle the car badly. Unless the game dampens input based on speed.. I know Forza does this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last night I got my racing wheel (Logitech G29) hooked up to a proper stand and did a race at night in VR with Dirt Rally. A terrifying experience, to say the least. Now I just have to pop out all the wheels in my chair and replace them with stationary bits so I’m not pushing myself around the room when I brake!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Last night I got my racing wheel (Logitech G29) hooked up to a proper stand and did a race at night in VR with Dirt Rally. A terrifying experience, to say the least. Now I just have to pop out all the wheels in my chair and replace them with stationary bits so I’m not pushing myself around the room when I brake!

I use rubber stopper bits like this and it works p well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X8X58S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hU7MBbCD0EA92

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I will definitely agree that a cheap wheel can be worse than a gamepad. I have never had a good experience with a non-force wheel and would gladly take a modern gamepad (especially an Xbox One pad with the individual trigger vibration that Forza uses so well) over something like the Mad Catz piece of poo poo I had as a kid.

A proper force wheel on the other hand, it's an entirely different game. The precision you get while also having the feel of the road is just wonderful.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

There was a guy on the iracing forums who would poo poo up fanatec threads saying they were toy wheels. A real wheel to him was some overly expensive wheel that consisted of a potentiometer and two springs.

:v:

I love stuff like that, because the world is mad and everyone has wildly different preferences, I vividly remember boinging around in Dirt 3 like a bouncy ball, then I got a G25 and it all clicked. And clicked, and clicked, but that's a G25 for you!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to have a bungee cord Thrustmaster wheel that connected over the PC game port (remember those?) and I used it to play Whiplash and NICE2 and the OG NFS. It suuuuuuuuuuucked, but it left enough of an impression on me that drat near 20 years later I picked up a Driving Force GT on a whim off Facebook marketplace. Here I am one year after that with a T300RS, a driving rig with a Focus ST seat, a buttkicker, a VR headset and an iRacing subscription.

poo poo got me gooooooood.

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DogonCrook posted:

I'm sorry but this is extremely wrong on all counts

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With a good wheel, the only difference between that and a real car is the physically feeling you get from moving around.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Its not, i dont want for more precision with a controller. I mean you can check my post history in ai if you feel like i dont know what I'm talking about lol. Im not in need of immersion. When i play sims its zen time, that requires a controller and a couch.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Also like im competative leaderboard wise so its not like im lacking. I wouldnt brag because im sure yall could beat me but if i didnt tell you im on a controller you wouldn't know. I know i miss out on the experience, but im not missing control so its not a big deal.

Also i am dramatically better than anyone i have ever seen in person with a controller so ill cede i may have a rare skill by being able to use the controller so well but i get beat by controller players all the time on forza so im definitely not alone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not going to argue your opinion that you like a controller better but no loving way do you have half the control vs. a decent wheel. I honestly thought (maybe still do) that you're trolling about this because you're so very much in the minority on this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you’re having fun playing with a controller I don’t think anyone can argue that. If you’re competitive against other controller players no one can argue that either.

But you are in the sim thread, so people are going to take exception to comments about wheels lacking realism.

Are you having fun playing? That’s really all that matters

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DogonCrook posted:

Also like im competative leaderboard wise so its not like im lacking.

I'm extremely dubious of this bc not even controller superstar L_Harrison himself could manage that in sims tbh

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Larrymer posted:

I'm not going to argue your opinion that you like a controller better but no loving way do you have half the control vs. a decent wheel. I honestly thought (maybe still do) that you're trolling about this because you're so very much in the minority on this.

Same user name on forza. I just bought 7 so i only have a couple of races done on nurburgring (that pretty much the only track i race on any sim) but you can watch my ghosts lol. I think that new tt isle of man im in the top 25 on the smaller bikes. I mean i can understand the disbelief i thought at least some of you rocked controllers too.

Like flight sim i buy the rigs because i need the hotas to function (modern racing is pushing me towards needing a wheel for the same reason need a lot of buttons without removing your hands) but having that joystick (even i force feedback one) doesnt add a whole lot either other than ease of use. I dont feel like im in a loving plane it doesnt improve my stick flying skills.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is the buttkicker worth the expense? Man, the software license is p expensive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

Its not, i dont want for more precision with a controller. I mean you can check my post history in ai if you feel like i dont know what I'm talking about lol. Im not in need of immersion. When i play sims its zen time, that requires a controller and a couch.

If you think a controller is more precise then whatever wheel you played with was broken, full stop.

DogonCrook posted:

Also like im competative leaderboard wise so its not like im lacking. I wouldnt brag because im sure yall could beat me but if i didnt tell you im on a controller you wouldn't know. I know i miss out on the experience, but im not missing control so its not a big deal.

Also i am dramatically better than anyone i have ever seen in person with a controller so ill cede i may have a rare skill by being able to use the controller so well but i get beat by controller players all the time on forza so im definitely not alone.

In what game? No loving way are you competitive in iRacing or AC or PCars 2 with a controller. Maybe Forza, but... its Forza.

:lol:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ok not to be all "not a real sim" about it but when people talk about needing wheels for sims they aren't talking about Forza, and you def shouldn't be using a wheel for a bike game, no.

e: oh yeah and I'm not having a go at your ability either, being good at Forza is hard as gently caress but it's not relevant to the topic bc that game was designed to be controller friendly from the start

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 14, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

Same user name on forza. I just bought 7 so i only have a couple of races done on nurburgring (that pretty much the only track i race on any sim) but you can watch my ghosts lol. I think that new tt isle of man im in the top 25 on the smaller bikes. I mean i can understand the disbelief i thought at least some of you rocked controllers too.

Like flight sim i buy the rigs because i need the hotas to function (modern racing is pushing me towards needing a wheel for the same reason need a lot of buttons without removing your hands) but having that joystick (even i force feedback one) doesnt add a whole lot either other than ease of use. I dont feel like im in a loving plane it doesnt improve my stick flying skills.

Its Forza dude, most of the people in that are using controllers. Most real sim racers don't consider Forza worth their time, so you don't get as much competition from the real sim dudes.

I assure you that a proper wheel is very very much like real life racing. As others said, the only thing really missing is the g-forces you feel, and even some rigs will create those effects and come fairly close to real life.
Real racing drivers train in simulators. They're pretty accurate if you have a wheel.

Forza however is a sim-cade at best.
And yeah, TT isle of Man is a motorcycle game. Motorcycles... do not have wheels.

If you tried playing iRacing or PCars2 in an open wheel car with a controller, you're going to go off-track constantly and smash your car to bits.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Well yall autistic nerds are just picking what yall want to hear now. Thats the only game you could quickly look up my ghost that i know of and i never claimed i had more precision i said i had enough. To be honest i dont know what triggered yall two but yall sound loving pathetic im gonna leave yall to it haha.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

No, it's so far away from the real experience of getting kicked in the butt that you're better off with a PC speaker.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I guess im not a true simmer lol. After this whole thing i couldnt be prouder of that fact.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

???? You don’t need a license for a buttkicker. Do you mean simvibe? Because that’s definitely not required.

The buttkicker itself is awesome. It’s awesome to feel the rumble strips, the transmission slamming into gear and the rumble of the engine

It won’t make you any faster, but the immersion factor in a driving rig is off the charts. I’ve owned mine since Christmas 2017 and it’s been amazing in GT Sport, AC and iracing.

I also tend to sit in my rig for other games, so playing Fortnite, Elite Dangerous and other games is equally cool. The bass hit from shotguns or jumping out of hyperspace has to be felt to be believed.

If you think you’d like it, you probably will.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello autistic nerds, how is the new AC game and is anyone playing it with a pad? The original was sure wasn't very friendly for non-wheel users.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DogonCrook posted:

I guess im not a true simmer lol. After this whole thing i couldnt be prouder of that fact.

if this whole thing was an elaborate troll to allow you to moonwalk out with this pride, fuckin lol you massive babby :frogout:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Vando posted:

if this whole thing was an elaborate troll to allow you to moonwalk out with this pride, fuckin lol you massive babby :frogout:

I mean you specifically are the pathetic autistic one. i said i played with a controller and you lost your poo poo and gave some nerd speech haha. It was embarrasing, you should be embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hello autistic nerds, how is the new AC game and is anyone playing it with a pad? The original was sure wasn't very friendly for non-wheel users.

I'm probably gonna hold off until I see how VR support is because I don't play a ton of the original AC, but goons on the last couple pages said it shows promise considering its early access or whatever.

Supposed to be basically AC but better graphics and stuff.