Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Marxalot posted:

He was A Thing during the period that I was inactive for a few years. So I have no opinion on the guy other than this

Sion-Tzu Machiavelli

wait sion animename quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
is there any news regarding the direction this poo poo rear end game is going in with new ownership?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

wait sion animename quit?

Yea, a while ago. After CCP put forth the "no Sions" rule of the CSM he finished everything up he was doing and peaced out.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Yea, a while ago. After CCP put forth the "no Sions" rule of the CSM he finished everything up he was doing and peaced out.

lmao pwned by ccp

poor guy

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CainFortea posted:

But you do keep trying.

they're not for you, they're for everyone else

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

dogsupremacy posted:

is there any news regarding the direction this poo poo rear end game is going in with new ownership?

Nothing concrete. Multiple interviews have ended with them saying :mensch: “nothing will change” but time will tell on that.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Nothing concrete. Multiple interviews have ended with them saying :mensch: “nothing will change” but time will tell on that.

:mensch: indeed

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

sion, kim has personality even if that personality is one you dislike

I thought so but wasn't entire clear from that post.

I don't know kim except from this thread. No reason to dislike them. Seems chill enough.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Landsknecht posted:

yeah, suddenly it's pretty awesome to just be able to log in and chill kill people with your buds, instead of having to deal with massive tidi fuckfests and a huge list of bluetrals to support those tidi fuckfests

i think for most of us the highpoint of PL was about 2011-phoebe, because that's when the supercap meta was at it's PL-est, and our subcap meta was game-leading

Whenever we hosed TEST to death was probably my most enjoyable memory of PL.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Xolve posted:

Whenever we hosed TEST to death was probably my most enjoyable memory of PL.

probably one of the greatest things was that brave war, with the angle stronghold

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I still maintain that Brave could have come out of that with several dead PL titan marks on the sides of their ships if their leadership wasn’t so dead set on eating itself.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Landsknecht posted:

probably one of the greatest things was that brave war, with the angle stronghold

I don't even remember most of the Brave deployments, we poo poo on them with enough frequency that I started to feel bad for them

I think half the times burned their village down was to proof of concept the front page of the tactics forum

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Does brave newbies even exist anymore?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

Does brave newbies even exist anymore?

Does a newbie hero tackling in a rifter count as a brave newbie?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

iospace posted:

Does a newbie hero tackling in a rifter count as a brave newbie?

If they're part of the lovely reddit corp, yes.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

I mean we left PL.

The current cutting-edge meta for supercaps is to have as many titans as possible, there's no way around that. GSF+Test have won the supercap game (mass as many rorqs+titans as possible), as long as they're together, unless somehow NCDOT+PL can pull some magic out and match those numbers.

For smaller stuff the meta is nanohels, and it's more tactics than anything. It's not unreasonable for a 50-person (not eveguy) corp to be able to field ~5-10 hels, which will rip apart the smalltime escalations that your bottom-tier alliances put forward. LR fibos are still an amazing tool to destroy small gangs.

What are nanohels?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

I still maintain that Brave could have come out of that with several dead PL titan marks on the sides of their ships if their leadership wasn’t so dead set on eating itself.

i mean they got hurley, and PK had been hazing them nonstop for a long time before that

tbh PL should've blued goons and poo poo all over gobbins

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
you guys are fuckin liars mittani isn't banned

give me my click baaaaaack

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

tbh PL should've blued goons and poo poo all over gobbins

I mean no thanks. If there was one thing I hated was the "giggle kiss slap slap we're still friends right?" poo poo the directors had going on with PL for like 4 years straight. Like uh yo, they are on the opposite side from us for literally everything ever, sure give eachother broblows at eve vegas but can we maybe we stop handing out "Get out of jail free" cards every time we even slightly get them on the ropes knowing drat good and well it will never be reciprocated?

Every time we did that "They are neutral but we're not shooting them because reasons" poo poo I went out of my way to murder someone from PL, and I didn't feel bad about that at all.

Like if I had the option to team up with PL to kill Horde or team up with Horde to kill PL, it would be a rather easy decision.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Variety interview with Hilmar was mostly vague, but he mentioned that they may (key word, of course) look at redoing some core systems in EVE.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

The Variety interview with Hilmar was mostly vague, but he mentioned that they may (key word, of course) look at redoing some core systems in EVE.

I forget which interview I read, but it did mention that Hilmar is "contractually obligated" to stay on at CCP. That deflates some of my cautious optimism.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean no thanks. If there was one thing I hated was the "giggle kiss slap slap we're still friends right?" poo poo the directors had going on with PL for like 4 years straight. Like uh yo, they are on the opposite side from us for literally everything ever, sure give eachother broblows at eve vegas but can we maybe we stop handing out "Get out of jail free" cards every time we even slightly get them on the ropes knowing drat good and well it will never be reciprocated?

Every time we did that "They are neutral but we're not shooting them because reasons" poo poo I went out of my way to murder someone from PL, and I didn't feel bad about that at all.

Like if I had the option to team up with PL to kill Horde or team up with Horde to kill PL, it would be a rather easy decision.
how did that stuff even start? I can't remember when we started dealing with them

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I forget which interview I read, but it did mention that Hilmar is "contractually obligated" to stay on at CCP. That deflates some of my cautious optimism.

There is the chance though that the new owners will look at his pipe dreams, laugh, and tell him no loving way.

Maybe.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CainFortea posted:

how did that stuff even start? I can't remember when we started dealing with them

PL was on our side during the whole BoB thing which is near and dear to the directorates heart despite literally not mattering at all anymore. It stands next to "Don't gently caress with Russians" as an old long standing rule that should be relegated to history already because since the old DRF died anyone who wanted could roll over any given Russian group and the best you can say is "They will eventually get their revenge when they retake their space in seven years because no one lives there anymore due to it being garbage".

Like NCDotte is literally chock full of people ranging from "Old BoB" to a pretty healthy chunk of the old Northern Coalition who were their "Blood Enemies" or whatever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

PL was on our side during the whole BoB thing which is near and dear to the directorates heart despite literally not mattering at all anymore. It stands next to "Don't gently caress with Russians" as an old long standing rule that should be relegated to history already because since the old DRF died anyone who wanted could roll over any given Russian group and the best you can say is "They will eventually get their revenge when they retake their space in seven years because no one lives there anymore due to it being garbage".

Eh, if that's the case, no one has ever said anything to that effect within earshot of me. Us letting PL off the hook in the past, the way I understand it, has been more about us being "gracious in victory" and other poo poo like that. Basically raw dumbassery rather than misplaced nostalgia. Seems like it won't matter at this point, though -- it seems likely that they're going to end themselves, rather than being destroyed outright. But, hey, maybe hedliner can turn it around.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
it may be an edgelord opinion, but I firmly believe one of the worst things to ever happen to EVE was PL.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

it may be an edgelord opinion, but I firmly believe one of the worst things to ever happen to EVE was PL.

Why?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's beginning to sound like everyone in this game is dumb and crazy.

Okay.

I can work with that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's beginning to sound like everyone in this game is dumb and crazy.

Okay.

I can work with that.

everybody is crazy except me

*is the OP of an eve online: space-themed spreadsheet thread*

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Backpedaling like normal. Sigh.

It's backpedaling to say the same thing I'd been saying the last time the topic came up?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Please remember this next time because it always draws out the low key shittiest poster in this thread, CainFortea, to make even more and even worse posts than usual

:agreed:

Dalael posted:

If it started with a Falcon being denied, then its about a falcon being denied.
Any further denial of this claim will be seen as further proof that the falcon denial started it all.

You really don't get it, do you? Posting while high is, as madcows demonstrated, both funny and liable to result in a bunch of clowncar idiots getting blacklisted.

Maneck posted:

I too aspire to have a joke go so badly that I get purged.

Dude, your knowledge of that poo poo is so second-hand it's more seam than cloth.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

you are a human trash can. not in the obvious sense in that garbage is smelly and gross or whatever; You are a receptacle for phrases and ideas, which then rot in your idiot brain, and every time you open your lid by pressing that post button, the familiar smell of those ideas, now decomposed, comes oozing out. Every time you unironically type "boydozer" into the post field your familiar stench of rotting banana peels and 3 year old catchphrases follows.

And, let me preempt your next barf onto the screen.

*clears throat*

"nice meltdown"

:perfect:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Option C, team up with TEST to kill them both.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

Supercaps in general. I don't really BLAME PL for using the supers the way they did, because it's frankly logical. But they allowed a relatively small alliance to play Kingmaker for the rest of 0.0 for just about everyone who couldn't pull together enough manpower to sandbag them down with subs and regular caps, or match them in super assets (Which was no-one till BR-). Unless you were in the CFC, if PL got involved in your war, whichever side they joined in on almost immediately won by fiat. And because the alliance was so wealthy in general they could afford to do that poo poo. It's nonsense.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rhymenoserous posted:

Supercaps in general. I don't really BLAME PL for using the supers the way they did, because it's frankly logical. But they allowed a relatively small alliance to play Kingmaker for the rest of 0.0 for just about everyone who couldn't pull together enough manpower to sandbag them down with subs and regular caps, or match them in super assets (Which was no-one till BR-). Unless you were in the CFC, if PL got involved in your war, whichever side they joined in on almost immediately won by fiat. And because the alliance was so wealthy in general they could afford to do that poo poo. It's nonsense.
I feel like I started reading a book series whose earlier parts are out of print.

In better news, I've started up a mining alt. Gonna get me a Roqual even if it kills all of Delve me.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean CCP made an OP thing that took a lot of time and effort to get, and players who had them decided to mass up

:ccp:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

Supercaps in general...And because the alliance was so wealthy in general they could afford to do that poo poo. It's nonsense.

I think the supercap wrecking ball of PL was more a symptom than a cause. They always went all in on any method of isk generation that was unassailable. Or they went to great lengths to keep them as safe as they could be. So they could afford to big dick swaglord with supers more than anyone else.

Which isn't really a wrong solution. But it was more displaying how CCP hosed a lot of stuff up in 0.0 for a while.

Now that they've finally been making serious inroads in the whole "You have to live in the space and use it to gain wealth from it" PL started to crack up at that point. When you build part of your in game identity on "too elite to pve or mine" and then that becomes the only option...

Well, as an alliance. The 5000 or so PL alts in the Imperium i'm sure are sucking up as much spod as they can.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I think the supercap wrecking ball of PL was more a symptom than a cause. They always went all in on any method of isk generation that was unassailable. Or they went to great lengths to keep them as safe as they could be. So they could afford to big dick swaglord with supers more than anyone else.

Which isn't really a wrong solution. But it was more displaying how CCP hosed a lot of stuff up in 0.0 for a while.

Now that they've finally been making serious inroads in the whole "You have to live in the space and use it to gain wealth from it" PL started to crack up at that point. When you build part of your in game identity on "too elite to pve or mine" and then that becomes the only option...

Well, as an alliance. The 5000 or so PL alts in the Imperium i'm sure are sucking up as much spod as they can.

no, what hosed the PL style was phoebe then rorqs+injectors

It previously took at least 12 months of serious commitment to get a dedicated SC char + ship, not to speak of a titan. Player retention wasn't that fantastic from the early days, so around 2010 all these guys who had been playing since 2006/7 started getting big toys, and joined one or two alliances. Until injectors came out it was very hard to get these ships and the characters for them, making them much more special.

Eve 2k17/18 is just "everybody gets a titan" which heavily favors large alliances.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

"Our culture couldn't possibly have been a contributing factor to PL's demise, no, it is CCP's fault!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wait ganging up with Horde to kill PL? Isn't Horde "Pandemic Horde"? Is PL now hostile to their own pubic feeder group?

:psyduck:

What the gently caress has been going on in this game since the Goons stabilized in Delve?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

"Our culture couldn't possibly have been a contributing factor to PL's demise, no, it is CCP's fault!"

Lets try a thought exercise.

If PL can't adjust to the meta of "you actually have to be in your space to make money off of it", perhaps you can name a group that was able to adjust to this meta and thus is in a better position than PL?

Just, you know, name someone that comes to mind... :allears:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Landsknecht posted:

I mean CCP made an OP thing that took a lot of time and effort to get, and players who had them decided to mass up

:ccp:

I agree: Rorquals probably are a bit OP atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've been out of EVE for a while, but I remember the ISRAD ~Schism of the Try-Hards~ and given what I knew about PL's "get results or get out" ~srsbzns~ culture, I'd imagine there's a toll that's taken when you hire yourself out to lovely alliances who can't properly defend themselves with their own members, see close-up how poorly they're administrated and managed, and reach a point where you wonder why even bother taking these people's isk when they're clearly holding space simply because no one's tried taking it yet.