Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Alan wake was fine, that wasn't a game you played for the combat. It nailed the atmosphere pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Agent Escalus posted:

I finally got around to trying the My Lovely Daughter demo that I've had since it launched.

I really don't want to play this from the sound of things, is there a place where I can be spoiled on its crapitude?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

al-azad posted:

Darkplace is a comedy, it makes no attempts at being serious, while Alan Wake has some funny moments but plays its ridiculous setting straight. It's like the difference between Police Squad with Sledge Hammer (I hope people know what this beautiful show is).

On the other hand, who is afraid of the shadow men shouting BEEF JERKY at you and not laughing at it? It's horror themed but not really a horror.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why wouldn't a video game that is trying to be a dark comedy work as horror? Especially if kept making death a joke to the point the player got uncomfortable with it.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 13, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

Why wouldn't a video game that is trying to be a dark comedy not work as horror? Especially if kept making death a joke to the point the player got uncomfortable with it.

Was Scream Queens scary?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Was Scream Queens scary?

Lawnmower made me cringe a bit, but I'm biased because I like Evil Dead. I'll always think there's some possible miracle game that can be funny and scary just cuz I wanna see people try or let Bruce Campbell be in a video game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meallan posted:

Maybe they needed to get more creative with the fights. Like the concert.

A ton of stuff got cut. When the game was first previewed, the early footage and images were centered around a giant tornado setpiece. It was also supposed to be an open world instead of the fixed driving segments it ended up with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It was also supposed to be an open world instead of the fixed driving segments it ended up with.

That was probably a change for the better.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Lawnmower made me cringe a bit, but I'm biased because I like Evil Dead. I'll always think there's some possible miracle game that can be funny and scary just cuz I wanna see people try or let Bruce Campbell be in a video game.

Bruce Campbell did the voice of the tutorial in some of the older playstation spiderman games, and I thought it was pretty great. I can't imagine any part of the Evil Dead series making a good game, but I'll show up for his voicework.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Discendo Vox posted:

I really don't want to play this from the sound of things, is there a place where I can be spoiled on its crapitude?

This is an extensive review by someone who has played quite a bit. Spoiler and content warning for the subject matter in the game, of course.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is an extensive review by someone who has played quite a bit. Spoiler and content warning for the subject matter in the game, of course.

Jesus. That's not a description of a horror game, it's a child abuse simulator. From the author'd description of the interactive and narrative dynamics, they're being way too kind. The gendered element is a colossal blaring warning siren.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 13, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah I was expecting something like Cultist Simulator and not that gigantic pile of :chloe:. Hard goddamn pass

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Discendo Vox posted:

Jesus. That's not a description of a horror game, it's a child abuse simulator. From the author'd description of the interactive and narrative dynamics, they're being way too kind. The gendered element is a colossal blaring warning siren.

To be fair, I think "child abuse simulator" was a feature, not a bug and something they were going for when developing that game. I think they thought at least they had something to say about abuse.

On the other hand though jesus christ i want nothing to do with that game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't really admire the creative agenda of a game that's like "Puppy Kicking Simulator," and the only way I can advance is Press X to Kick Puppy, and then at some point the game goes "You puppy kicking monster!" I don't actually feel guilty for pursuing the only path forward in this contrived scenario.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"This game is made to be upsetting :smuggo:" --the guy who fantasized several different methods of brutally murdering little girls that love him as a father

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GladRagKraken posted:

Bruce Campbell did the voice of the tutorial in some of the older playstation spiderman games, and I thought it was pretty great. I can't imagine any part of the Evil Dead series making a good game, but I'll show up for his voicework.

There are three big ones (so not counting the '84 ZX Spectrum game or Army of Darkness: Defense for iOS), Hail to the King for the PS1/DC/PC, Fistful of Boomstick for PS2/Xbox and Regeneration for PS2/Xbox/PC. Hail to the King is not great from what I understand. Fistful of Boomstick has some defenders, but is apparently pretty middling. Regeneration I've only played a bit of, but is generally considered decent enough, if not great. Bruce voices Ash in all three of them though, so if you want more Bruce they are possibilities.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hail to the king was pretty much an exercise in seeing how awful survival horror games could be and how what people are more familiar with was a godsend in comparison

fistful of boomstick and regeneration are actually pretty similar, the former is just older than the latter and they're more or less sort of okay brawlers. i think there could be room for a modern day rendition of an evil dead game with the improvements that came with time but i don't think evil dead is popular enough anymore to get something like that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's also a shame since there is plenty to be said about child abuse and I'm sure that someone could make a game about the subject that delves into what awful things go through the minds of the kind of monsters who would commit such vile acts but this game does not seem seem to be nuanced in like... any way, shape, or form, and seems really damned ham-handed in its handling of such a serious subject.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

holy poo poo lol

play this in the background for maximum effect while reading this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHHj9qFhz4

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Danaru posted:

"This game is made to be upsetting :smuggo:" --the guy who fantasized several different methods of brutally murdering little girls that love him as a father

Yeah exactly, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole, but it reads a lot like a fetish thing. That's why the "good" "twist" ending is completely detached from the prior plot- and why all the victims are female.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't really admire the creative agenda of a game that's like "Puppy Kicking Simulator," and the only way I can advance is Press X to Kick Puppy, and then at some point the game goes "You puppy kicking monster!" I don't actually feel guilty for pursuing the only path forward in this contrived scenario.

not a horror game but this is the same reason I find spec ops: the line to completely fail in its one gimmick

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Coolguye posted:

play this in the background for maximum effect while reading this poo poo
Sadly, Andy LaPlegua is a creepy piece of poo poo now

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i dunno who that is i just kept thinking 'WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU'

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

hail to the king was pretty much an exercise in seeing how awful survival horror games could be and how what people are more familiar with was a godsend in comparison

fistful of boomstick and regeneration are actually pretty similar, the former is just older than the latter and they're more or less sort of okay brawlers. i think there could be room for a modern day rendition of an evil dead game with the improvements that came with time but i don't think evil dead is popular enough anymore to get something like that.

Fistful of Boomstick and Regeneration aren't similar at all. The former took place in open levels where you had to complete a checklist set of objectives - some which iirc were pretty cryptic - to get to the next one and enemies would respawn infinitely plus ammo was limited, so you could end up in a situation where you had none. Regeneration was a linear God of War/Devil May Cry lite basically, taking more inspiration from the latter since the shotgun (and I think all weapons?) had infinite ammo and it was more focused on melee.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Discendo Vox posted:

I wound up having to resort to ye olde LPs on YouTube since the Steam guides section didn't go into much detail about what happens, and the wikias barely have any info in general. Since it's all told through text you won't miss anything putting the vids on mute. Same for the info for the memoirs - you play an amnesiac and regain your past memories as the game goes on - but there's no point (in multiple aspects) once you know/guess the twist AND it's all moot thanks to the raging vortex of a plothole the truth actually is. The Steam forums had screens of the new (just as dark-n-bitter) endings. There not too many threads so they're easy to find.

Also worth ranting about : the poo poo village for lovely exiled people that Faust and his family also got exiled to has zilch done with it for that aspect of the game setting/premise. All the other characters are only there to have 3 unlockable dialogue pages total and a picture in the book about their crappy (dark) biographies. Maybe it was supposed to be a lampshade to explain why they have no problem employing kids in the first place, I dunno. When I got to that part of the demo tutorial I thought maybe it was going to be like Pyre and you'll affect their destiny etc. but hell no. It's all more dark gritty paint with no depth.

Coolguye posted:

holy poo poo lol

play this in the background for maximum effect while reading this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHHj9qFhz4

Never heard that before, good choice!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think a lot of game devs just expect "But *dark theme here* got a pass in my favorite book/Movie!" and do not grasp the simple fact you need to put in more effort to make your audience not feel like you are wasting their time if you want to go in that direction.

"And then you went crazy/killed yourself/was Napoleon all along-" has more wiggle room to be accepted when it's at the end of a book or movie. Because you've spent maybe two hours or so as an outside observer.

But if that's what is waiting for you at the end of a game, you can't just go "Eh, eh? Like Lovecraft™ right amiright?" and then pout "I guess you just don't 'get' dark themes then" if people call you out on a weak foundation of, you know, the videogame part of your videogame dragging down your :airquote: "Mature story".

I know visual novels and walking simulators are a thing, but they (in proper examples) try to make their stories better to compensate. Or simply have the benefit of saying "At least we didn't make you spend five hours grinding for child organs before we revealed that this makes you a naughty boy".

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

It's also a shame since there is plenty to be said about child abuse and I'm sure that someone could make a game about the subject that delves into what awful things go through the minds of the kind of monsters who would commit such vile acts but this game does not seem seem to be nuanced in like... any way, shape, or form, and seems really damned ham-handed in its handling of such a serious subject.

Lisa: The Painful handles it through a combination of gallows humor and batshit insanity.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Lisa: The Painful handles it through a combination of gallows humor and batshit insanity.

Lisa is more depressing than funny though. I guess one eventually wins out over the other between Horror and Comedy.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Section Z posted:

I think a lot of game devs just expect "But *dark theme here* got a pass in my favorite book/Movie!" and do not grasp the simple fact you need to put in more effort to make your audience not feel like you are wasting their time if you want to go in that direction.

"And then you went crazy/killed yourself/was Napoleon all along-" has more wiggle room to be accepted when it's at the end of a book or movie. Because you've spent maybe two hours or so as an outside observer.

But if that's what is waiting for you at the end of a game, you can't just go "Eh, eh? Like Lovecraft™ right amiright?" and then pout "I guess you just don't 'get' dark themes then" if people call you out on a weak foundation of, you know, the videogame part of your videogame dragging down your :airquote: "Mature story".

I know visual novels and walking simulators are a thing, but they (in proper examples) try to make their stories better to compensate. Or simply have the benefit of saying "At least we didn't make you spend five hours grinding for child organs before we revealed that this makes you a naughty boy".

I think we are still at the point where most game designers really want to make movies and not games. Agency is really different in the two and it's hard to take player agency away without it feeling really, really cheap.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
But at least Lisa tries to go for it with the humor and insanity right from the start. The overall tone helps your reaction to it quite a lot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

GUI posted:

Fistful of Boomstick and Regeneration aren't similar at all. The former took place in open levels where you had to complete a checklist set of objectives - some which iirc were pretty cryptic - to get to the next one and enemies would respawn infinitely plus ammo was limited, so you could end up in a situation where you had none. Regeneration was a linear God of War/Devil May Cry lite basically, taking more inspiration from the latter since the shotgun (and I think all weapons?) had infinite ammo and it was more focused on melee.

they both had kind of the same general gameplay flow if nothing else compared to hail to the king. fistful of boomstick technically had open areas but realistically there was only like one place at a time you'd ever need to be going and occasionally random weird poo poo was stuffed into a corner to stumble into. part of why it wasn't as tight of an experience as regeneration, because funnily enough the lack of a tighter level scheme didn't do it any favors. any future evil dead game would probably follow closer to regeneration, but, yeah, like i said earlier i'm not exactly banking on it. which is a little sad since it's one of the few horror/comedy series that would reliably be able to pull off a videogame.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Crabtree posted:

Lisa is more depressing than funny though.

In its defense, it's very, very funny. Which says more about how depressing an experience it is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would like more games to present the awful choice to you as something that needs to be done, not simply to progress, but to survive. Like, yes, it's technically possible to beat the game without resorting to terrible methods, but it is super loving hard as poo poo and stuff...but you could kick the puppy and make things a little easier. Not even kick the puppy, maybe just be mean to it at first to make things a liiiiiittle easier, but as the challenge continues to rise...well, maybe there might be kicking. Just to survive.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Vampyr.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Morpheus posted:

I would like more games to present the awful choice to you as something that needs to be done, not simply to progress, but to survive. Like, yes, it's technically possible to beat the game without resorting to terrible methods, but it is super loving hard as poo poo and stuff...but you could kick the puppy and make things a little easier. Not even kick the puppy, maybe just be mean to it at first to make things a liiiiiittle easier, but as the challenge continues to rise...well, maybe there might be kicking. Just to survive.

The problem is that then the puppy kicking just becomes a sort of basic failure state/bad end from lack of skill.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, if games are going to present us with moral dilemmas, "collateral damage is just a result of lack of skill" is a bad one. Especially if it's actually a military game.

Coolguye posted:

i dunno who that is i just kept thinking 'WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU'
The Combichrist guy has taken a lot of flak for being misogynist, sporting Confederate flags, and equating antifa and Nazis. Not that he's an avowed Nazi, just mentally arrested at his dumb teenage edgelord phase.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Bruce Campbell has officially retired as Ash, so there is zero chance of getting a good Evil Dead game now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

Bruce Campbell has officially retired as Ash, so there is zero chance of getting a good Evil Dead game now.
In movies and tv. If someone had a halfway decent proposal for a game he might be willing to do it. I was surprised they got the worthless cameo out of him in the remake from a few years back.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The remake was supposed to crossover with the original in a sequel but I guess that's not gonna happen now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

It not necessarily horror, but did you guys know Swery was making a new game? (I didn't) Its out October 11th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7fqQK0bl_U