Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Jaded Burnout posted:

The Barbican is a particularly egregious example.

If I had the money I'd live there. Not the towers, they kinda suck but I'd love one of the lowrise estates over the water with all the original furnishings.

But then I tend to really like 2 out of 3 brutalist buildings I see and think that in 20 years people will regret some of the great stuff that was torn down or shuttered in by glass monoliths.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bibendum posted:

If I had the money I'd live there. Not the towers, they kinda suck but I'd love one of the lowrise estates over the water with all the original furnishings.

But then I tend to really like 2 out of 3 brutalist buildings I see and think that in 20 years people will regret some of the great stuff that was torn down or shuttered in by glass monoliths.

Couldn’t agree more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry for the big image, but you cats ever seen the Public Safety Building in Winnipeg?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

is this a fetish thing

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's on a little stage!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

is this a fetish thing

It can be if you want it to.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Youth Decay posted:

is this a fetish thing

Anything can be with enough effort.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

While some of the Snowden-leaked documents imply it, and it's probably likely at least to some extent, it's never been confirmed in any sense that would allow a firm statement like that (at least that I'm aware of.)

It's still in "conspiracy theory" territory until there's actual confirmation.

I read it in The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America, which is a great book, so if you don't believe me take it up with the author I guess?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I work in a data center underground, what are these windows you speak of?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

FCKGW posted:

They are a transparent material that allows light from the daystar in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

is this a fetish thing

I guess if they added a wall both rooms would be cramped and dark. And this way nobody ever asks to use your en suite.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Brutalism is my favorite, I want a whole house made of unfinished concrete

I saw one like this the other day, but forgot to take any pictures. About half the house was clad in concrete with the overspill left on all the edges. You really do have to have a lot of money to think that this is a good idea and I guess that guy had the money.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

FCKGW posted:

I'm a Linux Sysadmin. I haven't had a window in the area I work since the year 2000.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't that a telephone exchange or data centre?

EDIT: Yep, AT&T Long Lines building.

You didn't hear this from me, but my county's emergency-command bunker is in the local equivalent of that. Telephone switches got smaller so AT&T had an unused floor in their nuke-hardened fortress, and the basement of the downtown firehouse where the bunker was previously was too small.

Also the courthouse in Robocop is the newer one in Dallas. The old one was neoclassical, then they had to expand, and built a new one in the style of the time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wasn't brutalist architecture meant to surrender to nature and have green stuff growing on it? Like how they built the statue of liberty with the intentio that it would turn green.

I went to college in a big ol brutalist complex, it was actually quite nice and could be very pretty on sunny days and where there was some vegitation to play against the concrete. And in the understories, stalagtites started to form from dripping water, that was pretty cool.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 14, 2018

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Yeah, all the best examples look alpine in nature. Like bedrock interspersed with foliage.

It would be neat to see some built using modern concrete technology and moisture management.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

shortspecialbus posted:

Nobody is questioning that the ATT building exists or not,

Whoa there buddy, I've never seen it in person.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wasn't brutalist architecture meant to surrender to nature and have green stuff growing on it? Like how they built the statue of liberty with the intentio that it would turn green.
Like this!
I like that. It does kinda look like it's starting to overgrow after some kind of social apocalypse.

The AT&T building's vents remind me of a bunch of RJ45 sockets, undoubtedly by design, considering.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like that. It does kinda look like it's starting to overgrow after some kind of social apocalypse.

ah, so you've been to London

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you want non-crappy construction, Next21 is fascinating:

http://www.archilibra.com/thesis/case_studies/next21/next21.htm
https://www.briqs.org/next21-japan-adaptation-key-example-to-sustainable-energy-implementation/
http://www.umich.edu/~nppcpub/resources/compendia/ARCHpdfs/NEXT21.pdf

It's proof-of-concept apartment block built by Osaka Gas with a whole raft of interesting features. One major feature is that the structure of the building and the layouts of individual apartments are quite separate, allowing for apartments to be drastically altered to suit changing circumstances, for example wet areas can be moved around with relative ease. Another feature is that the overflowing greenery makes Next21 significantly cooler than surrounding buildings in summer, as well as providing much-needed habitat for local bird life.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

You didn't hear this from me, but my county's emergency-command bunker is in the local equivalent of that. Telephone switches got smaller so AT&T had an unused floor in their nuke-hardened fortress, and the basement of the downtown firehouse where the bunker was previously was too small.

Also the courthouse in Robocop is the newer one in Dallas. The old one was neoclassical, then they had to expand, and built a new one in the style of the time.

It's actually OCP headquarters that is the Dallas city hall, with the top digitally extended into a skyscraper. The actual City Hall is only 7 stories or so.

In Robocop:

The Dallas County Courthouse is still neoclassical, columns and all, a few blocks over.

edit: also, local landmark Reunion Tower, which might count as Brutalist, was featured in PBS' The Lathe Of Heaven, not to mention the opening credits of (of course) Dallas, and shows up in the background of some scenes of Robocop, even though it's supposed to be Detroit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reunion_Tower#In_the_media

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 14, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Don't pee on the floor, or else.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I like how you can see the spot where everyone keeps touching the blade to see if it is sharp or not.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I went to college in a big ol brutalist complex, it was actually quite nice and could be very pretty on sunny days and where there was some vegitation to play against the concrete. And in the understories, stalagtites started to form from dripping water, that was pretty cool.

The City Courthouse in Buffalo:

Story goes that it had green stuff growing on it, but it was causing damage to the building and removed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:yeshaha:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Let them eat urinal cake

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This hand rail.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I like the blocked-in witch windows on the side of the staircase.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

kid sinister posted:

This hand rail.

"Lets see those drat skaters grind this!" :argh:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zil posted:

"Lets see those drat skaters grind this!" :argh:

It would be great for points on a Tony Hawk game.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Story goes that it had green stuff growing on it, but it was causing damage to the building and removed.

Megacity 1 Hall of justice looking austere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guy Axlerod posted:

I like this. Like it a lot.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Megacity 1 Hall of justice looking austere.

I was thinking more City 17.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

Boston City Hall > generic neoclassical Victorian boring bullshit in every other town in the northeast

which in turn > the "we're a traditional new england town, demand white clapboard EVERYWHERE :downs:" cancer spreading in smaller towns

rest of the block is 3-4 story brick or granite from an early XXth Italian population? nope, new construction has to 'fit in' by looking nothing like it while halving the density!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mandoric posted:

which in turn > the "we're a traditional new england town, demand white clapboard EVERYWHERE :downs:" cancer spreading in smaller towns

rest of the block is 3-4 story brick or granite from an early XXth Italian population? nope, new construction has to 'fit in' by looking nothing like it while halving the density!

agreed; the only good thing about that poo poo is that it means the Dollar Generals have to put up something other than the horrible yellow sheet metal cubes they build in the south

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The one nice thing about the multi roofed development monsters where I currently live is that they look AWESOME painted in bright, garish key west colors. And the hoa cant stop us

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

From what I’ve heard, pretty much anytime an HOA loses everybody wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Icon Of Sin posted:

From what I’ve heard, pretty much anytime an HOA loses everybody wins.

That's because you mostly hear about when HOAs try to do stupid and terrible things. When they stay modest and stick to mundane aspects of neighborhood upkeep, no one cares so much.