Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This and the issue with the keyboard earlier are really making me reconsider using Android anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll try to remember to worry about these things in 3,000 years when my G5+ gets Android P.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

loving ridiculous, I was wondering why battery saver kept toggling on.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

elmer chud posted:

This and the issue with the keyboard earlier are really making me reconsider using Android anymore.

lol if you think iOS doesn't do wacky poo poo like this

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

elmer chud posted:

An observatory gets raided and all of a sudden power saver kicks in??? Coincidence? Or is this evidence that Google has successfully contacted aliens?

You think Alien races also bitch on dead forums about lovely alien tech?

For real though I'm also considering switching...

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
What the gently caress are google doing. They've got a new device due in a month and iOS just dropped a mad overpriced new device. What a poo poo time to gently caress up your battery and typing code.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yall getting Google'd. Nexus 6p 4 lyfe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Yall getting Google'd. Nexus 6p 4 lyfe.

Looks like this is Pie thing cause my Gboard and Battery SAver thing is fine.

Though my Nexus 6 barely lasts a few hours anyway so it'd be welcome if they left it on.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like this is Pie thing cause my Gboard and Battery SAver thing is fine.

Though my Nexus 6 barely lasts a few hours anyway so it'd be welcome if they left it on.

Can some one give me a rundown on the Gboard issue? I heard that it was creating an issue when the keys pressed would be super inaccurate? What was the problem with it? Did they officially admit that it was some sort of "test"?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Swiping was extremely, ridiculously inaccurate. Manually typing worked fine.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I swiped around a bit earlier this morning, worked normally
I went to send an actual message about an hour ago, and it only would only suggest/fill the most basic words - I a and

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

elmer chud posted:

Swiping was extremely, ridiculously inaccurate. Manually typing worked fine.

I've heard complaints about the swiping on gboard in general for years. Then again I've heard TONS of complains about the swiping on swiftkey but I've been using swiftkey for 6 years and I honestly love it and I have no idea what they're talking about honestly (I'm still pissed that they made it a free app after I paid $15 for it back like 6 years ago).

Anyways did it go from usable to unusable all of a sudden?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

I swiped around a bit earlier this morning, worked normally
I went to send an actual message about an hour ago, and it only would only suggest/fill the most basic words - I a and

I had this problem about thirty minutes ago and it solves itself with a reboot.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've heard complaints about the swiping on gboard in general for years. Then again I've heard TONS of complains about the swiping on swiftkey but I've been using swiftkey for 6 years and I honestly love it and I have no idea what they're talking about honestly (I'm still pissed that they made it a free app after I paid $15 for it back like 6 years ago).

Anyways did it go from usable to unusable all of a sudden?

The swiftkey guys own. I got drunk as poo poo with them like....drat near a decade ago at the 2nd Big Android BBQ. Edit: Okay it looks like Microsoft bought them out which explains why it requires a MS login to get access to most of the basic features like themes, machine learning for grammar, and so on.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 14, 2018

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

I force stopped it on the advice of the app thread which worked too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

64bit_Dophins posted:

Can some one give me a rundown on the Gboard issue? I heard that it was creating an issue when the keys pressed would be super inaccurate? What was the problem with it? Did they officially admit that it was some sort of "test"?

I didn't test it very thoroughly but the impression I was getting from the issue was that it was ignoring the swiped letters entirely and just pasting in suggested words. Didn't matter what you swiped, if you deleted it and tried something else you got the same suggestion.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MC Hawking posted:

The swiftkey guys own. I got drunk as poo poo with them like....drat near a decade ago at the 2nd Big Android BBQ. Edit: Okay it looks like Microsoft bought them out which explains why it requires a MS login to get access to most of the basic features like themes, machine learning for grammar, and so on.

Yeah back in the day it was so far ahead of every other keyboard it was hilarious. They really had a good thing going and I'm sure it must have been a lot of fun hanging out with them because they must have been some really smart dudes.

Today though for whatever reason people seem to love to hate on it and usually when I comment why they hate it they say that gboard is better and I do not see that at all. If anything the swiping on gboard is much less polished and the prediction isn't as good.

isndl posted:

I didn't test it very thoroughly but the impression I was getting from the issue was that it was ignoring the swiped letters entirely and just pasting in suggested words. Didn't matter what you swiped, if you deleted it and tried something else you got the same suggestion.

That's bizarre. It sounds like maybe as a "test" they deleted all of the data the keyboard was pulling from to make intelligent predictions based on what words you commonly type? Maybe Google wanted to see how users would act in such a scenario? I can only think of a reason or two for them to even bother gathering that data but regardless you should have to opt into those sort of testing programs (not that they're going to stop if anything it's going to get worse). Someone else commented that Apple does the same sort of stuff so I guess you can't escape it which is a very depressing thought.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm pretty sure my Pixel XL's fallen off the security update wagon. I'm still on the August one, nothing there when I check.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I only just got the september patch 2 days ago on my 2xl, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

What the gently caress are google doing. They've got a new device due in a month and iOS just dropped a mad overpriced new device. What a poo poo time to gently caress up your battery and typing code.

Spoiler alert the new Pixel XL will be total poo poo

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dumb question: For my replacement Pixel 2, do I want to update the new phone to Pie first, then try to copy my apps and settings off the old phone?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

isndl posted:

loving hell, was in a hurry this morning, had to type something quick and was getting ready to throw my phone out the window. drat it Google

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If you want to use a phone backup yes the OS versions need to match

Setup with no backups enabled
Update
Factory reset
Setup from backup

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

If you want to use a phone backup yes the OS versions need to match

Setup with no backups enabled
Update
Factory reset
Setup from backup

Thank you, I will do this

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://store.google.com/us/product/three

Looks like they're getting ready.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure my Pixel XL's fallen off the security update wagon. I'm still on the August one, nothing there when I check.

My XL got the update some time last week. For once, I didn't even have to force it to check; it was just there when I looked at my phone.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm going to the States from Europe on a business trip in a few weeks and I'm thinking about picking up a Samsung Galaxy S9 while I'm there (unlocked) since it'd save me between 100-150 Euros compared to prices here in Germany.

In TYOOL 2018 I assume I won't have any issues with putting a European SIM card (from Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile) into an American phone and having it work, right?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can check GSMarena to see if there are any variations in band support on different international versions, but I'd have to think you oughta be fine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This is all Greek to me but if I'm reading this right, yes there are different versions between Europe and the US (and two versions in Europe, one with dual-sim). Checking on this site shows me that all three of the LTE frequencies used by T-Mobile in Germany are covered by all of the Samsung Galaxy S9 models regardless of region... I think.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hi phone goons, got a couple of Qs for ya!

1. Is it poor value to buy a current generation phone right before a new one is released?
For example, buying an S9 right now when the S10 is on the horizon. The S9's price hasn't decreased much (720 --> 620) and presumably the S10 equivalent will occupy the same price bracket, right?

2. Is it a stupid idea to buy a previous flagship phone (instead of a current upper mid-range phone) when it is about to become two generations old?
For example, buying an S8 right now when the S10 is on the horizon, instead of a comparably priced current mid-range phone (perhaps one of the Galaxy A variants). The main concern would be receiving continued updates.

Basically, looking for the best kind of phone upgrading strategy that offers the best value. Looking primarily at flagships because they consistently have features I need (namely, NFC and waterproofing).

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 14, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best practice in general is to just avoid Samsung phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The best practice in general is to just avoid Samsung phones.

Yes because all the other manufacturers are so much better and free of issues :jerkbag:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

1. Is it poor value to buy a current generation phone right before a new one is released?
For example, buying an S9 right now when the S10 is on the horizon. The S9's price hasn't decreased much (720 --> 620) and presumably the S10 equivalent will occupy the same price bracket, right?

2. Is it a stupid idea to buy a previous flagship phone (instead of a current upper mid-range phone) when it is about to become two generations old?
For example, buying an S8 right now when the S10 is on the horizon, instead of a comparably priced current mid-range phone (perhaps one of the Galaxy A variants). The main concern would be receiving continued updates.

Basically, looking for the best kind of phone upgrading strategy that offers the best value. Looking primarily at flagships because they consistently have features I need (namely, NFC and waterproofing).

We're quite a ways from the Galaxy S10. They get released in spring, March or April. If it were January or February, it might make sense to wait, but we're way too far out to be worrying about buying "right before" the S10.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've never used one of the Samsung mid-range variants so I can't really comment on them, but honestly, I would get the S9 instead of the S8. The phone is more durable, it actually has stereo speakers, the fingerprint reader is in the proper location, and so on.

If you want a cheaper previous gen high-range phone, my recommendation is to wait for the S10 so the S9 drops in price. The S10 rumors do make it sound like it will be more like S7->S8 (big change) instead of S8->S9 (small change), so it will give you more choices in deciding if you want a current gen phone.

Samsung only just this year stopped providing updates for the Galaxy S6, so you will probably get 3-4 years of updates for your phone. You won't get big feature updates immediately, but Samsung has been pretty good at pushing out security updates every 1-3 months. Besides, most of the time the big new Android features already exist in the Samsung phones.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Samsung has a trade in program when the phones come out. Sending them an S8 would discount the S9 by 350..No clue if they'll do it again for the 10 but its existed for the 8 and 9 so far.

The 9 is a spec bump from the 8, so you're not missing anything huge if you go cheaper. You could just get an 8 now, then sell it back to them when the 10 comes out in march/april.

I'm probably stuck in their upgrade loop at this point, I traded the 8 for the 9 on the assumption I'd already be spending 700+ on the 10 so splitting that into 2x 350 and getting 2 upgrades was fine. I end up never selling the old phone anyway and having it sit in a drawer so it worked on two levels.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking posted:

SwiftKey is still good though? And I always log in with a goog account..

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Re: the Gboard stuff...

I've always been convinced they're loving with random people to train their algorithm regardless. Sometimes the prediction works just dandy, and at random days, it's suggesting utter bullshit, on occasion words I'd never even use. And when I hit backspace, the next suggestion is actually the right one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://comingsoon2018jp.withgoogle.com/

:thunk:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The gray-space is the notch.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

isn't that just the back of the phone :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's what I was going to say. The G gives the back away.

However the grey part does seem to line up with the camera glass they continue to use for whatever reason.