Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

I can't believe I have to ask this but this is a joke right?
Jokes are generally the slightest bit funny, so it seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s difficult to tell but I’m leaning towards a real-deal Apple weirdo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

I was under the impression that FaceID didn't work with some of the apps i need fingerprint for, due to privacy laws here (not the states)
I seem to remember hearing about something like that when X first launched though i checked with a colleague and it is no longer the case if it ever was.

Looks like ill be getting an XS MAXX then!

I have no idea if your specific apps will use it (sounds like a job for Google) but all of my apps adapted to FaceID almost immediately. I think it's baked into the OS so if they do TouchID they'll work with FaceID.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

wooger posted:

Ahem, slightly better? The camera on Pixels has been very good, but for many other things like CPU / GPU they’re laughably behind Apple. Android phones only surpassed the 6S in benchmarks this year FFS.

Pixel *is* the only Android phone is consider though, I don’t trust the competence of any other OEMs in making software tweaks, nor their intentions as far as updating them in the long term.

Huh? I was saying that the specs of the Pixel 3 are a little better than the Pixel 2, I wasn't comparing it to any iPhones. I agree though that the Pixel is the only Android phone I would consider.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Man, iOS 12 is so fast on iPhone X. You'd have to typically wait at least a tiny bit while a heavy app was restored before the UI was usable, but every app I've tried - even Outlook - has the UI responding before I can even reposition my thumb from the Home screen icon. This is great. Also, FaceID feels better somehow. I'm not sure how they tweaked it, but it unlocks from a greater angle and distance when it's docked on my desk. I was only running the beta on my iPad Mini 4 where the speed increase was obvious, but I didn't think it'd have such a big effect on the much faster X.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

64bit_Dophins posted:

3D touch is the only feature I'm jealous of as an Android user. It's legit really cool (that and the haptic vibration thing).

We don't have a haptic keyboard like android does though. It makes typing so much more satisfying to have it on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I just installed the iOS 12 update that came out today. I'm guessing that's the GM. Can I remove the beta profile from my phone now?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I just installed the iOS 12 update that came out today. I'm guessing that's the GM. Can I remove the beta profile from my phone now?

Yup

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Anyone on the AUP considering going from the X to an XS? I can't decide if I should stick with the annual upgrades or hold onto the X for another year and then sell it when the 11 or whatever comes out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You guys get a good nap today?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

No doubt! My body is ready.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Feenix posted:

I'm just going to order when I wake up. I think it'll be fine and I don't give a poo poo if I'm in the first wave or not. I have a feeling the XR will be the one you'll need to be up early for.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm just going to order when I wake up. I think it'll be fine and I don't give a poo poo if I'm in the first wave or not. I have a feeling the XR will be the one you'll need to be up early for.

Enjoy your xS Max in the far flung future of November! It will be loving obsolete!!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

Enjoy your xS Max in the far flung future of November! It will be loving obsolete!!!

:allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This the the first time I have no idea which model to get. XS, XR, or my friend’s X for ~$750. At least with the XS and XR I can do an installment plan, in which case maybe HDR OLED and 2X telephoto are worth $250? :shrug:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

This the the first time I have no idea which model to get. XS, XR, or my friend’s X for ~$750. At least with the XS and XR I can do an installment plan, in which case maybe HDR OLED and 2X telephoto are worth $250? :shrug:

Do not buy your friends X for a minimal discount.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Matt Zerella posted:

Seeeeerious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

$250 discount is minimal? $750 seems to be about where the 256GB is going for on Swappa.

Of course, I don't need that much storage, 64GB is fine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

$250 discount is minimal? $750 seems to be about where the 256GB is going for on Swappa.

Of course, I don't need that much storage, 64GB is fine.

Yes. You're buying an old phone with an old battery. Unless it's a week old, don't buy that.

Either get a brand new one at the same price on clearance, or go XR/XS.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Going for the Xs max silver 64 GB tonight

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can you order 2 phones at once if paying outright? Need a phones for me and the wife.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I think this will be my first non-black iPhone. I’m leaning towards gold, but a friend showed me his gold iPhone 8 and I didn’t really love it. The gold on the side was like faded and matte and the gold on the back was almost pink-ish or salmon.

Is the gold XS the same way? The pictures make it look like a more shiny gold on the sides and more vibrant gold on the back, but they could be misleading.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think this will be my first non-black iPhone. I’m leaning towards gold, but a friend showed me his gold iPhone 8 and I didn’t really love it. The gold on the side was like faded and matte and the gold on the back was almost pink-ish.

Is the gold XS the same way? The pictures make it look like a more shiny gold on the sides and more vibrant gold on the back, but they could be misleading.

Definitely shiny on the sides. That's why I'm going for silver because I like the stainless (also I'm going ceaseless and no screen protector :getin:).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Yes. You're buying an old phone with an old battery. Unless it's a week old, don't buy that.

Either get a brand new one at the same price on clearance, or go XR/XS.
The more that I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the XS over the XR. I'll be able to recover at least half of the $250 price differential when I eventually resell it, so I might as well take advantage of the better screen/camera for 2 years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

The more that I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the XS over the XR. I'll be able to recover at least half of the $250 price differential when I eventually resell it, so I might as well take advantage of the better screen/camera for 2 years.

Whatever your reasoning, that's the correct move.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

Going for the Xs max silver 64 GB tonight

This but the 256! Just a few hours!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God bless you people spending used car money on a new phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

American McGay posted:

while people suffer and die in a hurricane, no less

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

while people suffer and die in a hurricane, no less

And hey what about those starving Africans??

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

American McGay posted:

iPhone-havers already drive nice cars.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

iPhone-havers already drive nice cars.

lol

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I was comparing the XR to the 8s and it looks like it's better than the 8+ in every way except the lack of double cameras. Am I missing something?

Anyway I didn't realize the XR was so much bigger than the 6/7/8 and even the X/XS so I'm thinking of just getting a new 8 -256GG when they drop the price since I don't want a bigger phone.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

flipoff posted:

Anyone on the AUP considering going from the X to an XS? I can't decide if I should stick with the annual upgrades or hold onto the X for another year and then sell it when the 11 or whatever comes out.

Yup, I’ve already been fine with the fact I’m leasing my phone for 0% interest and there is no reason not to upgrade every year.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
For those on the Apple Upgrade Program is there any reason not be upgrading? If I am for sure going to upgrade to the next major version I don't see any reason why I wouldn't just turn in my X now and arbitrarily extend my plan another year and be in the same position when the 11 comes out. Or am I just being dumb

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still got about 65 left to pay on my 7 Plus. Do you get a option to "reserve" the phone if you order one tonight while you pay that fee off, or I am going to get screwed and pay it off only to find out it won't arrive in November and I have to sent in my phone as per the agreement?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MrDoDo posted:

For those on the Apple Upgrade Program is there any reason not be upgrading? If I am for sure going to upgrade to the next major version I don't see any reason why I wouldn't just turn in my X now and arbitrarily extend my plan another year and be in the same position when the 11 comes out. Or am I just being dumb

From what I understand it goes like this, you can:

- upgrade your phone every 12 months while trading in your current phone

- be on the upgrade plan for 24 months, in which case you have fully paid off the phone and can keep it. At that point, you are free to re-up on the program with a new device while keeping your old device for selling or whatever

So what's ultimately happening here is that in exchange for trading in every year, you will always be on the upgrade plan. You will never own a phone, ever, but you'll always get the new one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

This but the 256! Just a few hours!

Same.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Pomplamoose posted:

I was comparing the XR to the 8s and it looks like it's better than the 8+ in every way except the lack of double cameras. Am I missing something?

The screen resolution is bumped down despite being larger:

XR
1792 x 828

8+
1920 x 1080

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can't decide if I should go for the 64 or 256 GB. My 6s is 64 GB with full resolution pictures on it and I'm only using 32 GB so 64 GB should work but it feels claustrophobic. 128 GB would have been nice.

e: Went for the 64 GB space gray. My 128 GB iPad is only using about 30 GB as well. I don't think I'll shoot many videos so whatever 64 GB is fine.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Taima posted:

From what I understand it goes like this, you can:

- upgrade your phone every 12 months while trading in your current phone

- be on the upgrade plan for 24 months, in which case you have fully paid off the phone and can keep it. At that point, you are free to re-up on the program with a new device while keeping your old device for selling or whatever

So what's ultimately happening here is that in exchange for trading in every year, you will always be on the upgrade plan. You will never own a phone, ever, but you'll always get the new one.

It’s actually worse because you also pay sales tax on the entire phone value and an activation fee every year.