Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

You don’t think DLSS models will come to GFE the way recommended settings do? I would expect that rather than tying it to driver updates. (DLSS models themselves might require driver updates, especially early on, but that’s a different situation.)

Possibly. Guess we will have to see either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'd kinda expect at least one model to come baked into the game itself but I suppose it's something NVIDIA could overwrite at a driver/GFE level if they wanted to.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I guess another method depending on the size of the data it needs for the model, is just to make the drivers somewhat Cloud connected. You launch the game, it phones home to see if there is a model to said game, loads it, and off you go.

Sure it will have to be opt in, but outside of it being driver level or game patch included, it may come to this...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks to whoever posted that link to the SCAN 1070ti sale earlier, I now have a MSI Gaming one of them on order. Going to shoehorn it into a Dan-A4 and a higher res monitor.

Re the MSI Armor cooler, I have a 1060 6GB Armor currently and it's basically been completely silent. I guess maybe I've always been wearing headphones if it's been stressed, but no complaints here. Huge difference from the AMD predecessor which was a loving hairdryer (280X I think)

vv Yeah I get that, just saying it's fine on a more feeble chip

That was me, and you're welcome. Mine arrives tomorrow and I'm loving pumped. Upgrading from a 760, I've got a 240Hz alienware monitor, and I am going to wear reinforced underpants. :awesome:

I refreshed the page and the gaming model is now 'call for price' which means they probably had their shelves emptied, or realised they were making a loss.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

I have a 500W Super Flower passive PSU from 2012. 8700k + 970gtx, 2 ssd+1hdd, 3 18cm case fans. With wall meter I get these results:
- idle 80W
- realbench stresstest 315-322W
- destiny 2 270-290W

Gtx 970 has 150W TDP, 1080ti 250W. These numbers seem to be roughly accurate, according to TPU's power consumption reviews:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/25.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/28.html

How worried should I be of using my old 500W psu when upgrading to a new 250W TDP GPU? In theory the maximum power draw from wall should still be around 400-450W... and stay clearly under the PSU's specs.

I have a seasonic 860w platinum from 2013 still going strong. It does have a 7 year warranty though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Isn’t the NDA up? Where all the reviews at?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tom published the only info you need 2 weeks ago

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Can’t wait to get my hands on the hacked drivers that activate support on my 760 GTX for raytracing and that other thing

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

Isn’t the NDA up? Where all the reviews at?

NDA is probably up at like 8 AM EST or something like that, but people were talking that the reviews were embargoed back to the 19th anyways. So not like it matters.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Does anybody know if there are any plans to release a 1070 with 11gb of RAM? I have a 770, but I got the 4gb model instead of the standard 2gb. I am playing the new Tomb Raider game on High settings and I attribute its ability to run new games on decent settings to having 4gb instead of 2gb RAM. I am planning on upgrading sometime in the next 6 months and instead of splurging on a 1080ti or whatever I would like to get a 1070 with extra RAM.

Maybe it isn't worth it, or maybe the price difference isn't enough to matter. I haven't really researched, I just know that 3 generations later I am still running new games on decent settings because I made that decision.

Also, I have no actual data/research to base this on but I suspect the PC versions of games like Tomb Raider tend to be a little less resource intensive because they are most likely designed for consoles primarily with a PC port as opposed to games that are PC only or PC first.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They aren't making any more variations of the old cards.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
And the TU104 cards (2070 & 2080) are going to be 8 GB too, you'll have to go up to a 1080 Ti or 2080 Ti to get 11 GB.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wait for the special 9gb 2060 X-Ti

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would have to be 16GB or you end up in a weird slow/fast situation much worse then the 970 which could basically shuffle off unused assets to the slow portion and have no performance hit. 512MB is very easy to juggle, but 3GB would be hard. Unless you're doing 4/5K the extra memory isn't helping so it's not a big deal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SlayVus posted:

NDA is probably up at like 8 AM EST or something like that, but people were talking that the reviews were embargoed back to the 19th anyways. So not like it matters.

so a few more hours for the editors day stuff.

Llamadeus posted:

And the TU104 cards (2070 & 2080) are going to be 8 GB too, you'll have to go up to a 1080 Ti or 2080 Ti to get 11 GB.

2070 is actually TU106 :wth:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wtf is editors day presentation?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cowofwar posted:

Wtf is editors day presentation?

its all the slides provided by Nvidia that go through the archs features etc. the slides were already presented to the media at gamescom. all the really important ones have already been leaking on VCZ

reviews wont be up until the 19th.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Does anybody know if there are any plans to release a 1070 with 11gb of RAM? I have a 770, but I got the 4gb model instead of the standard 2gb. I am playing the new Tomb Raider game on High settings and I attribute its ability to run new games on decent settings to having 4gb instead of 2gb RAM. I am planning on upgrading sometime in the next 6 months and instead of splurging on a 1080ti or whatever I would like to get a 1070 with extra RAM.

Maybe it isn't worth it, or maybe the price difference isn't enough to matter. I haven't really researched, I just know that 3 generations later I am still running new games on decent settings because I made that decision.

Also, I have no actual data/research to base this on but I suspect the PC versions of games like Tomb Raider tend to be a little less resource intensive because they are most likely designed for consoles primarily with a PC port as opposed to games that are PC only or PC first.

Don't worry about it until you need it - I'd just recommend upgrading your card more often if it becomes an issue. Longevity of (personal) use is a bit overrated, because people forget that their card's used value is depreciating as time goes by. If you consider someone buying in at the ~$400 level (release price, not founder's edition), then going by current 1070/970/770 prices you'd probably only be saving ~$40 every two generations by skipping a generation (rather than selling your card and upgrading each generation), or $100 every 3 generations by skipping two. That's about $15-25 dollars a year saved, but in exchange your leaving large performance gains on the table and going past your warranty (and zeroing the value of a card would totally wipe out any savings).

E: If a card is still sufficient for your purposes, of course don't feel like you need to upgrade - just keep the used value in mind when pricing upgrade costs.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 14, 2018

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Stickman posted:

Don't worry about it until you need it - I'd just recommend upgrading your card more often if it becomes an issue. Longevity of (personal) use is a bit overrated, because people forget that their card's used value is depreciating as time goes by. If you consider someone buying in at the ~$400 level (release price, not founder's edition), then going by current 1070/970/770 prices you'd probably only be saving ~$40 every two generations by skipping a generation (rather than selling your card and upgrading each generation), or $100 every 3 generations by skipping two. That's about $15-25 dollars a year saved, but in exchange your leaving large performance gains on the table and going past your warranty (and zeroing the value of a card would totally wipe out any savings).

E: If a card is still sufficient for your purposes, of course don't feel like you need to upgrade - just keep the used value in mind when pricing upgrade costs.

Good points, but I actually give my old card to a friend who can't afford any thing new whenever I upgrade. Been passing down my gaming PC parts to him for like 15 years.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can’t understand someone who would want to go through the bullshit of selling a card regularly, as someone who did it twice it was worthwhile only when selling high on crypto. And I can’t count on that ever happening again. (And I decided not to sell my 1070 at the start of this year because I have no backup card because of all the selling, and months without PC gaming isn’t worth getting double my money back at some point.)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Good points, but I actually give my old card to a friend who can't afford any thing new whenever I upgrade. Been passing down my gaming PC parts to him for like 15 years.

A better friend than I! :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I recycle my old hardware like cpu's & gpu's to htpc, server etc. Electricity costs 0,04€/kWh. Of course transfer fees and taxes are a major portion of the bills, but still, new hardware is expensive!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3364-nvidia-turing-architecture-technical-deep-dive
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Architecture-NVIDIAs-RTX-GPUs-Turing-Explored
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-turing-gpu-architecture-explored,5801.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpTzkrBUnGo

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 14, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jay has a basic unboxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlmK2rWGDyM

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For the turbo-nerds, the Turing whitepaper is also out.

The "Variable Rate Shading" feature that we thought was double-rate FP16 is actually something else, but the whitepaper confirms that Turing does have 2xFP16 regardless even on consumer SKUs. :rip: to Vegas one tangible advantage.

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 14, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So DLSS is AA with downsampling that uses DL, but there's also DLSS 2X, which is AA at the native resolution.

Wonder who will produce the most useful image-quality comparisons.

E: What event is this supposed to be taken from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnK8noB0cU

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 14, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Someone uploaded 3d mark results on the correct driver

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-3dmark-performance-benchmark-leak/

2080 at (apparent) stock boost clocks beats an OC 1080ti or Titan XP

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems legit
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-AO...FgAAOSwA71bm8-j

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

1gnoirents posted:

Someone uploaded 3d mark results on the correct driver

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-3dmark-performance-benchmark-leak/

2080 at (apparent) stock boost clocks beats an OC 1080ti or Titan XP

How much does 2080 start at price wise again? Because name means jack poo poo to me anymore in pc parts

Price point is p much only designation that matters now unfortunately

E: not to dismiss those results ofc, but if thats an $800+ card, i would hope it is beating a card from 2+ years ago that msrp for like 20% less

If the 2080 can be had for 5-650 (laughable i consider this a good price) it becomes much more attractive

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 14, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

How much does 2080 start at price wise again? Because name means jack poo poo to me anymore in pc parts

Price point is p much only designation that matters now unfortunately

E: not to dismiss those results ofc, but if thats an $800+ card, i would hope it is beating a card from 2+ years ago that msrp for like 20% less

If the 2080 can be had for 5-650 (laughable i consider this a good price) it becomes much more attractive

There will be no price to performance gains this time around lol considering the MSRP and then actual prices of everything so far, it just wont be possible. I think everybody is just looking towards actual performance gains as that ship has sailed

woops nope lol brain fart
f
Either Nvidia is finally gouging due to lack of competition or the chip is expensive - or both.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 14, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1080 Ti and 2080 have the same MSRP. There is no reason for Nvidia to increase price/performance ratios, and it seems like they arent. You get a few Nvidia specific features, which will help lock competitors out in the future if they can get good adoption, but not more raw fps for the dollar.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A company dictating when journos can release information is not journalism.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

mewse posted:

this is a good point tbh

but also ultimately irrelevant

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

mewse posted:

Its not journalism then, its product reviews. If you abolish NDAs then there will be no review samples. This is what AMD, Intel, Nvidia has done for decades. This applies to practically all companies that make anything, every phone company, every car company, a lot of major software are subject to NDAs. It also literally changes nothing, you just have to wait a few days for a review of a product you are unable to even buy yet.

Companies will provide samples to publications as part of their marketing efforts. They have no obligation to provide a product to anybody before release date. It is in their own self interest, if it wasnt then they wouldnt give out their product. If you care about journalistic integrity (for product reviews....) then read reviews by people who purchase the card when it comes out.

To be clear, there are ugly sides. A company withholding review samples to groups or people who are known to be critical of the company is lame. A company requiring an NDA for launch day is a huge red flag that it sucks. AMD has bad history with this with the 300 series and partially the 400. A company can, in theory, wiggle out more positive words by dangling products for early review. But none of these things specifically have much to do with a NDA itself.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 14, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

this is a good point tbh

but also ultimately irrelevant

Yeah I'm aware I'm probably preaching to the choir and that nothing will ever change, I just got a sharp feeling of revulsion seeing that email because a vendor should not be dictating terms to a journalist. They shouldn't be able to "push back" the date they originally agreed to because there's a provision in the NDA that allows them to do it. It's a very short step before cutting off anyone that provides negative coverage.

Maybe some day the tech journos will organize and as a bloc dump pre-release NDAs but I doubt it, because whoever stands up for their principles right now gets disadvantaged.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

These are reviews in advance of general availability. If you want to be first with reviews, there are going to be restrictions because the item is loaned to you by the creator as soon as physically possible.
If everyone has to publish on the same date it prevents rush jobs that might do a poor job of their review just to be first and get the hits.

mewse
May 2, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

If you abolish NDAs then there will be no review samples.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Exactly ... we're oddly on the same page here but arriving a wildly different concluions. What exactly is the consumer disadvantage of an NDA that ends before the product is available for sale? I'd rather have good reviews before than not. If there were no NDAs and no review samples then the first 5 minutes you could purchase a card there would be a 100 garbage "reviews" that would change throughout the day. These places depend on views to stay afloat and nothing else and this would be assured. Consumers lose there, and in many cases the company will too.

If they provided review samples without an NDA then the same thing would happen, it would be a mad rush to review them. Nothing actually changes, the quality of information drops, and theyd just give them samples on the day they want them to have them anyways.

And again I need to clarify (I really need to proofread lol), these are the practical downsides and upsides to the consumer - not the intent of an NDA. Like I said thats purely marketing for the company. Having reviews drop a day before you can buy something drums up the hype train - with the side effect of actually being good for the consumer. But in the end its the same thing, NDAs dont change a thing other than making a buyer wait for a certain day for the information. The information doesnt change, in fact the information has the greatest opportunity to be of higher quality, and if its before you can buy it then ... who cares about the NDA

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The overreaction to NDAs in this thread is hilarious.