Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm here all night!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I remember when citizens were hyping this up years ago while CIG was working on procedural asteroids. It sure did fall off everybody's radar after the asteroids hype died. I guess it's finally coming out in months, not years.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mineable Rocks Pipeline

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I missed this last week, but DaGaimez had some feedback for marketing that is sure to get him added to The List. (He also had another Bootcha shoutout on the episode as well.)

Tokamak posted:

I remember when citizens were hyping this up years ago while CIG was working on procedural asteroids. It sure did fall off everybody's radar after the asteroids hype died. I guess it's finally coming out in months, not years.

Yeah, the assumption long ago was that it was coming, everybody would be able to do it, and it would be spectacular. Now it’s here. Mining has been the biggest addition to the game this year, its paywalled behind a three figure ship, and it’s duller than, uh, dirt.

Then again it’s Tier Zero because it’s still early days so...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

Then again it's Tier Zero because it's still early days so...

It is going to be a magical day when the game leaves beta, stops progress wipes, and all these tier 0 gameplay systems turn into 1.0 systems.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tokamak posted:

It is going to be a magical day when the game leaves beta, stops progress wipes, and all these tier 0 gameplay systems turn into 1.0 systems.

What gameplay?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Here ya go

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZekeNY posted:

And if Mark Hamill plays Chris, who'll play Mark Hamill?

We'll invent time travel and fetch the Mark Hamill from the Orgazmo move.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

ZekeNY posted:

And if Mark Hamill plays Chris, who'll play Mark Hamill?

An up-and-coming #actress named Sandi Gardiner.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

An up-and-coming #actress named Sandi Gardiner.

Ah, good good. Then i've got the perfect stand in for Sandi's role....

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Anyone still have the link where one of the main devs was asked about the PvP slider and he basically says "what slider?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You know I was expecting Moma to show up and defend himself when people ask if he lost faith like he always does every time he's mentioned by acting like it's no big deal and it's all rolling off his shoulders

The fact that he didn't really does lead me to believe he was on the payroll and no longer is

i've never understood why the thread stopped thinking he was toast. he was toast, a guy who was doing his best to pretend to be toast, or just a backer who coincidentally happened to have the same belt and activity hours as toast.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beexoffel posted:

Dat alikeness. Was the designer taking the piss?

holy poo poo I'm dying

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Agony Aunt posted:

Wooden acting is still acting. Try...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

i've never understood why the thread stopped thinking he was toast. he was toast, a guy who was doing his best to pretend to be toast, or just a backer who coincidentally happened to have the same belt and activity hours as toast.

Wait, MoMA is Toast??

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Daztek posted:

Wait, MoMA is Toast??

:toastpop:

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

ggangensis posted:

That really depends, though. Sure, the DCS/IRacing/Whatever-crowd pays a lot of money for high-end rigs (sim-racing sub-144hz? never!) and expensive gear like wheels, pedals and stuff, but all in all the market is quite small and even prices for winning big tournaments aren't that huge.

That's because programs like DCS have poo poo coding and can't take advantage of things like multiple core processors to distribute work load.

quote:

For example, with DCS, the best thing you can do is fly in a virtual squadron where someone made a good mission beforehand and everyone has hopefully gained enough proficiency with the plane to not gently caress everything up. The fun here comes from flying a mission in the most realistic way possible where you think: "Okay, that really could work the same way in real life". Same thing with SimRacing. You want the most realistic driving physics you can get, not walk around the tribune. These "walking around"-things are never fun and simply aren't the point in sims.
Anyway, I digress. Just wanted to say I refuse to believe that a noteworthy faction of sim gamers is spending money on SC at this point. To get driving physics like iRacing or flight physics like DCS you need a highly specialized engine built for that purpose. The best we can get in star citizen is something along the lines of X-Wing from 1993 and I highly doubt even that. It will probably stay at goat simulator level, just with less fps.

There are MP servers out there like Blue Flag & DynamicDCS. I've spent the past few weeks playing DDCS where you do actually build ground units via slinging with helos and then if you have Combined Arms you can drive them and engage enemy units as well as use them to capture airbases and FARP's. Including taking control of Manpads and rifle troops in FPS. It's really sucky FPS, but it can be done. It's actually a hell of a lot of fun playing with/against others, but also reminds you of just how limited DCS actually is as Drex coded his own custom server code to make DDCS semi-persistent. The old joke is that you play DCS for a few weeks when a new aircraft comes out, get thrilled with the good graphics, but then go back to BMS.

Sadly that's where myself and a couple other people are at right now. We keep saying, "wish DCS had x, or would do y" only to realize that FalconBMS has those systems/weapons/features that mostly work. At least in terms of a dynamic campaign. I have feeling I'll be hosting a BMS dynamic campaign server in the next month. Unfortunately a couple of my friends that play BMS are in the path of this hurricane so it might be a few days/weeks before they are able to play again.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Morphix posted:

well now you're stuck watching it and taking screencaps for us

I watched it and made animated gifs out of all of Sandi‘s scenes.

Here we go:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Agony Aunt posted:

Both destined to be cut.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tarquinn posted:

I watched it and made animated gifs out of all of Sandi‘s scenes.

Here we go:

:eyepop:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

G0RF posted:

I missed this last week, but DaGaimez had some feedback for marketing that is sure to get him added to The List. (He also had another Bootcha shoutout on the episode as well.)

Yeah, the assumption long ago was that it was coming, everybody would be able to do it, and it would be spectacular. Now it’s here. Mining has been the biggest addition to the game this year, its paywalled behind a three figure ship, and it’s duller than, uh, dirt.

Then again it’s Tier Zero because it’s still early days so...

Sandi's teeth thing is weird. Though to dig into it, I'm pretty sure her lower incisors are dead. My upper left is the same, which I got from a biking accident when I was a kid because some fuckwit in a car pulled out of a junction on me. I hate Sandi with a passion, and think she's the poster child for everything wrong with CIG, but the 'toober taking a swing at her teeth is so weird and American that it makes me cringe. Literally only America is obsessed with everyone having unnatural white teeth, and while we know for fact that Sandi has had cosmetic surgeries in the past, kudos to her for not getting the dead teeth fixed. Wear your life scars with pride.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Both destined to be cut.

:golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Success or failure, it will be a fun ride, where the players, along with Roberts himself, can finish the mission by jumping their car off of a cliff into the open and hopefully waiting transport ship they flew in on!
I would like to see that attempt. Maybe the transport ship could start spinning and explode, or the ship ramp can kill the vehicle that lands on it. Would be great if 4 tires fall down to the ground and bounce away with a "Noooooo"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Yes, but they need to do it this way if players are supposed to be able to build persistent settlements on their surfaces and the like. Which will never happen, of course, but that's the idea.

And yes, it would take up a ridiculous amount of space, if every planet were made this way (including Earth, which is supposed to be in the game. Planet Earth).

Today at work we were debating what existing map system to use for our upcoming map web service, that is supposed to show some of the company stuff around the world.
We learned that one of the medium-detailed map of the world, roads and all is around 300 gigabytes in size and takes multiple weeks to install on a server.

And Star Citizen is supposed to have multiple of those.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
New Spiderman game looks fidelitious
https://i.imgur.com/u7KAlKe.gifv

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Dogeh posted:

Hope he is OK.
The thread needs to get good again.
Evil Merlin is a poor imitation of MoMa because no belts.

Is it bad I don't even know who he is...

You make a lot of assumptions...

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

EvilMerlin posted:

You read the thread to find out who MoMA is.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

And now is Toast.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dogeh posted:

You read the thread to find out who MoMA is.

Less assumptions and more experience.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Bofast posted:

New Spiderman game looks fidelitious
https://i.imgur.com/u7KAlKe.gifv

It‘s happening, lesser companies are stealing CIG’s ideas and fidelity!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

At least we found toast.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dogeh posted:

Hope he is OK.
The thread needs to get good again.
Evil Merlin is a poor imitation of MoMa because no belts.

EvilMerlin posted:

From Jan 3rd 2017:

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You know I was expecting Moma to show up and defend himself when people ask if he lost faith like he always does every time he's mentioned by acting like it's no big deal and it's all rolling off his shoulders

The fact that he didn't really does lead me to believe he was on the payroll and no longer is

My guess is that he finally realized this poo poo show is never going to release, and went to play other fun games that are out now.
It's a pity he won't come back but I don't really blame him from all the hammering he got.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol Con42

Even if it's a fan gathering that name is still amazing

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Maybe MoMA just had an epiphany...

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dogeh posted:

Maybe MoMA just had an epiphany...

Defending a shitshow when you're no longer getting paid to is a waste of time and you should find another job instead?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Kikas posted:

Today at work we were debating what existing map system to use for our upcoming map web service, that is supposed to show some of the company stuff around the world.
We learned that one of the medium-detailed map of the world, roads and all is around 300 gigabytes in size and takes multiple weeks to install on a server.

And Star Citizen is supposed to have multiple of those.

But the cloud....

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
When Chris models planet earth, I hope he gets the interior floorplan of my house correct. The fidelity doctrine demands it. Also, I'm planning an addition, whom at CIG do I notify of these alterations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krycek posted:

But the cloud....

We just drove a rack 40 miles. That's your cloud right there.

(Approved procedure for chain of custody for the data was someone following the van in a car)

Colostomy Bag posted:

At least we found toast.

And along the way, we found ourselves.