Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The Japanese version of the controllers are a faithful replica of the Famicom controllers, and seem to actually have a working microphone on controller 2, which is the only reason I'm considering buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1040392301523030016

:capitalism:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That doesn't mean anything

unless you are day trading stocks you should not pay any attention at all to daily stock price fluctuations

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
i'm da vent enthusiast

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Oh yeah, Thursday also saw am update for Paladins, the poor man's version of Overwatch.

I saw significant improvement in loading times, but still no gyro aiming.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ultimate Spider-Man HD, please.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Andrast posted:

That doesn't mean anything

unless you are day trading stocks you should not pay any attention at all to daily stock price fluctuations

Pretty much. I have Nintendo stock and it's still sitting over 2 times it's original price when it blew up. They're fine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wario's wood

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dissidia for Switch.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

mancalamania posted:

I'm confused about whether you can use the NES things in handheld mode. The fact that they use the joy-con rails to charge would make more sense if you *can* use them in handheld mode, but on the other hand it looks a little awkward (the d-pad on the left one extends past the Switch screen) and handheld mode isn't actually mentioned anywhere on the website.

To add to the confusion, they have L/R buttons so they are seemingly usable outside of NES games but are missing other joy-con buttons (and presumably gyro + HD rumble?) so are not fully usable as regular joy-cons??

When I saw the Direct I assumed nerds online would have torn apart the PR and figured out exactly how these work and what exact games they work with, but the nerds are failing me! They're not even asking these questions, let alone answering them!

they have L and R buttons because when you tell the switch what controller youre using and how youre holding it, those are the buttons you press at the same time

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bushisms.txt posted:

Woah actual Megaton ffxv pocket is the same price as the other consoles.

Isn't ff15 pocket just another lovely Square f2p game though?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just realized... this seems to be the NES Classic Games interface for the Switch, right?

It has selectable box art, icons for single player/two player/online play. Profile pic in the corner... interesting choice when they have that wonderful NES and SNES Classic interface they just made

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do we know if the old Final Fantasy games are being sold separately?
I assume they are aside from X/X2.

I'll get 9, X/X2 and 12. Never did finish 9 or 12.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mister Facetious posted:

No you had to pay for it on mobile too

I can't attest to its shittiness levels though

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ARMS online is gonna be so dead when the new Online service comes out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress me.
If I get it, that's it for me. I'll be done.
When New Leaf came out, that's all I did for at least a month. C'mon, Nintendo. Don't do this to me.

Okay, I won't get it right away unless it improves on the formula in some big way.
Like if they let you place buildings and features at will. No more guesswork, give me a ghost image and fine control.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Elman posted:

ARMS online is gonna be so dead when the new Online service comes out.

This logic puzzles me. You're paying for online play, not online ARMS.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

No you had to pay for it on mobile too

I can't attest to its shittiness levels though

It's FFXV, so really lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF15 was good

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

FF15 was trash

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress me.
If I get it, that's it for me. I'll be done.
When New Leaf came out, that's all I did for at least a month. C'mon, Nintendo. Don't do this to me.

Okay, I won't get it right away unless it improves on the formula in some big way.
Like if they let you place buildings and features at will. No more guesswork, give me a ghost image and fine control.

I just want to be able to control at will, that's all. Let me avoid having to gently caress around with system settings and go when I want, whenever I want. Or just have time move quicker.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want a forest. Just a little bit of wilderness outside the town you can explore and find surprising stuff in

And this. I never even thought how much I would love this. Like a HM style woods where you can get fruit and critters.

Macaluso posted:

gently caress yes, why wasn't this in the US direct goddamn!!! I will play the poo poo out of this game again on the Switch. I'm so excited :toot:

What exactly is Downwell?

Astro7x posted:

The general consensus I hear from everyone I personally know that got an NES and SNES classic, like co-workers and friends (me included), is that they play it for like a week or two and then it starts collecting dust. As sad as that is. Part of the thrill was the hunt to find one and the elusiveness of the thing. But then you get it and you quickly realize that the games are not going to hold your interest that long.

Maybe for most people. I'll admit I don't play it often because of everything else I've got going in my life, but I've already beaten the two Super Mario Worlds (Yoshi's Island being a huge reason I wanted to buy it), and I'm going through Mario RPG, though I might switch and try something else. I'm also looking forward to installing new games on it too. Like, I have too many games in my life, but the SNES Mini is a fantastic selection of games, many I've never played.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

This makes sense since the guy who made it was recently hired by Nintendo. This is good but I also hope it doesn't effect his fifth of the content in the upcoming game compilation UFO50.
Moppin is still listed on the UFO50 website, replete with Nintendo-themed portrait vandalism, so I suspect either he finished his stuff or enough of his stuff was finished that the rest of the team were able to take it the rest of the way. In addition, a new guy was added to the team recently, so he might have helped sand off the corners.

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1034590593781981185

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

This logic puzzles me. You're paying for online play, not online ARMS.

I mean that game was already kinda dead and it's only gonna get worse after the online playerbase gets smaller.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

tithin posted:

what's the goonsensus on xenoblade 2, someone on twitter was geeking out that the season pass was functionally a new game

its really bad OP

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is the phrase "tate mode" used elsewhere, in another game or in the Switch itself somewhere?

I'm just curious why that's being used here instead of plain old "vertical mode." Haven't seen anybody out there talking about yoko mode.

EDIT: outside of castlevania dawn of sorrow heyo

It's a loan word from Japanese or however that works. Tate (縦) means "vertical" and many arcade cabinets in Japan use a vertically-aligned screen.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Any word on how Bastion - out now! - plays? I'm all for double dipping on God's perfect console, but maybe the port is really bad, I don't know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As far as the Final Fantasy games go, only X/X2 and 12 Zodiac Age will be getting physical releases in the US.

https://twitter.com/JPSwitchMania/status/1040386604874051585

Crystal Chronicles Remastered and the PS1 ports will all be digital-only. Possibly World of FF and Chocobo Dungeon, too?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Elman posted:

I mean that game was already kinda dead and it's only gonna get worse after the online playerbase gets smaller.

Not what I'm seeing, at least Party Crash still pulls in players.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Over There posted:

I never played any NES games except Super Mario Bros. I guess I have some catching up to do.

Same except I'm prob gonna play none of them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The amount of NES games still worth playing are pretty much Mario 1-3 and some of the Mega Mans anyway.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The amount of NES games still worth playing are pretty much Mario 1-3 and some of the Mega Mans anyway.

Wrong, but many of the games worth playing probably won't show up on this service.

Edit: I'll eat a cyber hand if Shatterhand ever shows up.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 14, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They already ported Duck Tales anyway

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I might just sell my ps4 copy of FF12 and buy it again on Switch when it's out. What a time to be alive!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
No DQ XI news :(

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Olivil posted:

No DQ XI news :(

Hopefully we'll get something at TGS.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
[. Stuff quote="A FUCKIN CANARY!!" post="487938131"]
Am I missing something or is using the Joy-con rails to charge the NES controllers a dumb design?
[/quote]

It's really dumb looking but assuming they don't have any sort of rumble/gyro I'm going to hope they have extremely long battery life and fast charge times. Stuff like that and the touchpad on the PS4 controller really contributes to drain

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Mister Facetious posted:

No it's basically the whole game made for mobile. Not a crappy gacha.

While I'm glad Animal Crossing was finally announced, I wish it was this year. I stupidly bought my Switch last year (for SMO and Zelda) and it's mostly gathered dust because 90% of games released (that I was interested in anyway) are ports I already played on the original console or PC.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

goferchan posted:

It's really dumb looking but assuming they don't have any sort of rumble/gyro I'm going to hope they have extremely long battery life and fast charge times. Stuff like that and the touchpad on the PS4 controller really contributes to drain

I'm sure they'll have crazy battery life but if they can't be used as Joy-cons is seems like that rail connectivity is a bunch of extra complexity for no reason. It'd be cheaper for the manufacturer and easier for the end user to just put a USB charging port on it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks thread for convincing me to keep trying Shovel Knight. It clicked after a bit and I beat it and am working on NG+ and Specter Knight. Good stuff all around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
That Direct was better than the E3 one, loads of stuff announced...

I really hope the subscription 'free' games won't be limited to just the NES, I can count on one hand the number of NES games that I still want to play today. The SNES has bigger & better versions of nearly everything, you got true generational leaps back then.
I wonder if they will roll-out their NES greatest hits over the next 12 months and then introduce SNES games next year?

• Locked thread