Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Goddammit I was so close.

(Screenshot is fading out after death, normally it's not that dark)

Frankly though it's amazing I made it this far, considering that I stupidly used the "switch auto/semi-auto" upgrade on my LMG. Turns out that a semi-auto LMG does not gain any accuracy whatsoever and is markedly less good at spraying bullets. Plus it seems to jam with suspicious regularity. I survived mostly on the basis of two Curses of the Ignorant and the High Current / Icarus combo, which would stun enemies and then lay into them with orbital lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Bleu posted:

Pretty niche question: the ADOM wiki says Rolf will still fork over the gleaming dwarven gear if you corrupt the stone heart, but he didn't seem to hook me up after I did the volcano subquests. Was I supposed to not talk to him, or do something special like that?

it's due to a bug involving save data, and there is no good way to consistently trigger it as far as i am aware. bugmaster general grond says that the rolf and corrupted heart interaction is just "all kinds of hosed up".

incidentally just two days ago biskup said that the bug has been fixed for the next version of the game (whenever the hell that comes out) so don't get reliant on it anyway, i guess

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Tollymain posted:

its just this

also its literally just a novel about a guy in a roguelike

o, tab, tab, tab, , , o, tab, tab, tab, tab, c, , , o, ^ >,

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

it's due to a bug involving save data, and there is no good way to consistently trigger it as far as i am aware. bugmaster general grond says that the rolf and corrupted heart interaction is just "all kinds of hosed up".

incidentally just two days ago biskup said that the bug has been fixed for the next version of the game (whenever the hell that comes out) so don't get reliant on it anyway, i guess

So the intended result is that you either get the Volcano or the dwarf gear? RIP. Just give me the shield, Rolf, you don't even need it anyway.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ToxicFrog posted:

I have definitely enjoyed books in the vein of both "normal person gets trapped inside a video game" and "video game characters have their own lives", but my understanding is that litRPG is just kind of...what you would get if you played WoW, and wrote down every encounter, attack roll, and interaction with the character sheet, including that hour you spend grinding rat assholes for a side quest, and then shat it out onto a page. And it baffles me that there is a market for this.

Like, it seems like no matter what your actual goal is, it would better served by one or more of: reading one of the aforementioned books set inside a game that is not litRPG, playing a game, reading or watching a Let's Play, or listening to a friend bullshit about their last tabletop session.

is there money in writing these books? because dang man copying down my text logs and prettying them up doesn't sound like the worst idea

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It's a hugely successful subset of japanese pulp novels/comics currently

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's no such thing as an isekai genre and any rumors to the contrary are just lies!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
It's not a new thing Tad Williams wrote Otherland in the 90s and that was already a "trapped in an RPG" thing. Also Tron.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

megane posted:

The main thing I've heard about it is "Recettear but not as good" so I didn't bite.
I would call it Recettear but a little better and not anime. I certainly wish I had held out for the switch version though. Maybe I'll put up a thread when that's out.

tombom posted:

Ah there's a whole genre of books like this called "LitRPG" with a thriving online community and everything. It's completely baffling, badly written novels full of RPG stat blocks and game mechanics written out.
All I can think of is this poo poo where the characters see stat sheets and numbers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the sheer volume of stuff out there tho is kinda new. most of its garbage, the best of it kind of elides the worst parts of the genre and plays w what interesting ideas can be scavenged to reach a level of "pretty ok"

my favorite will always be the guy who is reincarnated as a modern-style vending machine in a fantasy dungeon story

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read a bit of it and it wasnt actually good but the conceit is hilarious and its p obvious the author loves the topic matter. maybe a little too much lmao

e: to make this vaguely thread-topical the actual best example of the genre i can think of starts out as the tale of a very weak creature seeking to escape an incredibly deadly labyrinth. it gets a little bit crazy post-ascension.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 13, 2018

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

There's a good ongoing free one called The Wandering Inn where the two main protagonists just want adventure to gently caress off and leave them to be, respectively, an innkeeper and a message runner. And the message runner refuses to use the levelling system on principle. 95% or more of the genre is crap, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's a reasonably tolerable novel called Game Night by Jonny Nexus which is LitRPG except the players are gods. "Who let the god of Chaos be the Paladin?" should give you a general idea of how well gods roleplay against type.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Heran Bago posted:

I would call it Recettear but a little better and not anime. I certainly wish I had held out for the switch version though. Maybe I'll put up a thread when that's out.

All I can think of is this poo poo where the characters see stat sheets and numbers.

I would extremely play a roguelike made by uli

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Emergency posted:

It's not a new thing Tad Williams wrote Otherland in the 90s and that was already a "trapped in an RPG" thing. Also Tron.

You should probably go back and reread my post because I explicitly mentioned stuff like Otherland and Tron (granted, not by name) in the first sentence. Those aren't the same as LitRPG, though.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I don't think I've ever read a single one. The closest thing that comes to mind is dream quest of unknown kadath, if that one counts as isekai. Alice and the Yankee also might or might not qualify. Obviously neither of these had attack rolls.

How Disgusting fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 13, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The book y'all are looking for is Rodomonte's Revenge

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Does anyone have the post about avoiding degenerate cases that some gamers will use to find any edge no matter how boring? I think it was Unormal or madjack that had a good effortpost on the subject...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if this is the article you're thinking of, but it touches on the topic.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a vague memory from the 90's of a novel about some kids playing DnD, and it would weave in and out of the kids playing, and their characters, who regarded the kids as their gods. I remember one of the characters was robotic in some way and there came a climactic fight where his vision would flicker on and off based on dice rolls, and he was fully cognizant of the dice somewhere, rolling in his god's hands.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Captain Foo posted:

Does anyone have the post about avoiding degenerate cases that some gamers will use to find any edge no matter how boring? I think it was Unormal or madjack that had a good effortpost on the subject...

It was PleasingFungus who did a good talk about it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MGNS39D0B0

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not sure if this is the article you're thinking of, but it touches on the topic.

this is exactly what I was thinking of, thank you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s a good mark brown video about that too.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There was a lovely litrpg book (manga?) with the premise that the protagonist was the World's Greatest Fisherman so he had to use his fisherman skills in completely arbitrary ways like "it makes you good at lassoing because you're good at casting a line" and stuff like that, which sounded roguelike as gently caress in terms of having a lovely limited skill set joke class somehow be broken.

but does anyone know its name?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ToxicFrog posted:

You should probably go back and reread my post because I explicitly mentioned stuff like Otherland and Tron (granted, not by name) in the first sentence. Those aren't the same as LitRPG, though.

Oh sorry didn't even notice your post I was just responding to the general "this is something new" feeling I got from some other posts.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There was a lovely litrpg book (manga?) with the premise that the protagonist was the World's Greatest Fisherman so he had to use his fisherman skills in completely arbitrary ways like "it makes you good at lassoing because you're good at casting a line" and stuff like that, which sounded roguelike as gently caress in terms of having a lovely limited skill set joke class somehow be broken.

ah, vanilla Elona

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

doctorfrog posted:

I have a vague memory from the 90's of a novel about some kids playing DnD, and it would weave in and out of the kids playing, and their characters, who regarded the kids as their gods. I remember one of the characters was robotic in some way and there came a climactic fight where his vision would flicker on and off based on dice rolls, and he was fully cognizant of the dice somewhere, rolling in his god's hands.

poo poo, I remember this one. Hex-based world, and the four players played all their campaigns on their big map, with a bunch of concurrent storylines, and the story jumped back and forth between the characters in their setting and the players outside who were arguing, and the big conflict was that one of the players was bored and wanted to end it in a big Ragnarok-esque apocalypse. There were the ancient Dice of Power, cool crystals that the characters could find... Only thing I can't remember is the name, because it was something super generic like GAME WORLD, so Google's not helping.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This one I DO know, it's Dominion of Blades.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

John Lee posted:

This is probably one of the few LitRPG books I've actually liked.

Back to roguelikes: I've been playing a LOT of Dead Cells as of late. What other roguelike metroidvanias are actually good? I've played Rogue Legacy and Risk of Rain previously but neither really impressed me.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

This is probably one of the few LitRPG books I've actually liked.

Back to roguelikes: I've been playing a LOT of Dead Cells as of late. What other roguelike metroidvanias are actually good? I've played Rogue Legacy and Risk of Rain previously but neither really impressed me.

Catacomb Kids, Chasm, and Vagante are all okay. Catacomb Kids has some really cool stuff going on and is way farther down the roguelike path than most rogue platformers. Chasm and Vagante are both a little bland, but aren't bad.

Actually, Chasm is pretty non-rogueish, even compared to something like Rogue Legacy. I feel like they tried to sell themselves a bit as such, but it's pretty much just a metroidvania with random room placement.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

John Lee posted:

poo poo, I remember this one. Hex-based world, and the four players played all their campaigns on their big map, with a bunch of concurrent storylines, and the story jumped back and forth between the characters in their setting and the players outside who were arguing, and the big conflict was that one of the players was bored and wanted to end it in a big Ragnarok-esque apocalypse. There were the ancient Dice of Power, cool crystals that the characters could find... Only thing I can't remember is the name, because it was something super generic like GAME WORLD, so Google's not helping.
This might be the one. The other kids and their avatars were trying to beat the guy trying to destroy it. The only other detail I remember was that one of the players really enjoyed it when they played through the "catacombs," though the others weren't as enthusiastic about it. I remember that because I didn't know what "catacombs" were back then and figured it had something to do with cats. And combs. Mighta had a dirigible somewhere on the cover maybe? The dirigible was able to fly through some anomaly or another because it exploited a simple case of physics and didn't rely on magic (or tech?), which was being nullified by its counter.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

OtspIII posted:

Catacomb Kids, Chasm, and Vagante are all okay. Catacomb Kids has some really cool stuff going on and is way farther down the roguelike path than most rogue platformers. Chasm and Vagante are both a little bland, but aren't bad.

Actually, Chasm is pretty non-rogueish, even compared to something like Rogue Legacy. I feel like they tried to sell themselves a bit as such, but it's pretty much just a metroidvania with random room placement.

Vagante looks pretty cool but they are selling the coop portion pretty hard. How hard does it lean on that? I have absolutely no desire to play a roguelike multiplayer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Lee posted:

Thank you! And there’s a nonzero chance yours was from a series that literally included a book named Gamearth or something close to it, but I can’t prove it so you’re getting this disclaimer.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Vagante looks pretty cool but they are selling the coop portion pretty hard. How hard does it lean on that? I have absolutely no desire to play a roguelike multiplayer.

Not very hard, only the wizard type can really buff the others, and that’s through alchemy and enchanting weapons. The thing that killed Vagante for me was the boss fights and the crappy -starting- skillset. I never really got to practice with the skills before facing a boss in really lovely random terrain. In other words, I couldn’t keep up with the learning curve- your experience may vary, especially if you’ve got better platforming experience and reflexes coming into it - I’m just trash at it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

tote up a bags posted:

Slight derail but Uli had one of the biggest life turnarounds that I've ever seen from someone.

He actually got his license, moved to Florida alone and is working at Walmart there. He even went to Hawaii by himself.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

tote up a bags posted:

[d]ab pizza grease

You attempt to dab the pizza grease, what would you like to use to dab

[a] Roll of paper towels (24/30)
[b] Roll of paper towels (30/30)
[c] Roll of paper towels (30/30)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Harminoff posted:

Slight derail but Uli had one of the biggest life turnarounds that I've ever seen from someone.

He actually got his license, moved to Florida alone and is working at Walmart there. He even went to Hawaii by himself.

Yeah Uli's really come such a massively long way and it's so rare to see someone with an obviously broken online brain actually fix their poo poo up.

Devor posted:

[d]ab pizza grease

You attempt to dab the pizza grease, what would you like to use to dab

[a] Roll of paper towels (24/30)
[b] Roll of paper towels (30/30)
[c] Roll of paper towels (30/30)

This is obviously fake, the items in the inventory don't have hex color codes

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Possession is finally nearly there and is now generally seeking out testers to assail it with vigor:

https://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=3727.msg51600#msg51600

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Harminoff posted:

That's really nice to hear to be honest. Uli was always this harmless kind of a guy who did not deserve to be made fun of.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thank you! And there’s a nonzero chance yours was from a series that literally included a book named Gamearth or something close to it, but I can’t prove it so you’re getting this disclaimer.

Yes! That was it, Gamearth. Phew, that had been bugging me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Lee posted:

Yes! That was it, Gamearth. Phew, that had been bugging me.
You figured out mine, I figured out yours, the cycle of goon life continues :goonsay: