Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Sounds like a boring rear end sim game to me. If I was playing God, I'd definitely introduce war and destruction to my inhabitants to make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you don’t want discord in your world, you don’t have to create a weirdo nihilist ideologue god to fill it up with discord.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The plan was always for Melkor to gently caress everything up. Iluvatar had complete control over his design after all. The Valar's plan didn't really have an end goal besides "make a nice place to live" because, on a fundamental level, they didn't understand the children of Iluvatar

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The plan was always for Melkor to gently caress everything up. Iluvatar had complete control over his design after all. The Valar's plan didn't really have an end goal besides "make a nice place to live" because, on a fundamental level, they didn't understand the children of Iluvatar

The Ainur didn't know they were actually making Arda until it was done, right? I thought they all got together and sang a big song, then Iluvatar said "Check this out, this is what you were making the whole time guys" and showed them the world.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Ainur didn't know they were actually making Arda until it was done, right? I thought they all got together and sang a big song, then Iluvatar said "Check this out, this is what you were making the whole time guys" and showed them the world.

That was just a vision. He then said "okay but for real go make it the hard way" afterwards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
God isn't real and Gandalf is just a normal old wizard with weird mates, taking little people on adventures.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
All things, even Melkor's fuckery, have their source in Eru. The world as it is is the way Eru intended it to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The best of all possible worlds.

Sorry Túrin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Iluvatar represents a Buddha attempting to minister to a group of devas. This was obviously successful in the case of Gandalf but results otherwise were rather mixed. Sam's Buddha-nature allowed him to prevail in the face of temptations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wonder what the original plan for Arda was, without Melkor's loving it up. A symmetrical, flat world with men and elves living together (no dwarves), lit by the lamps, men not afraid of death / don't distrust the elves. Possibly with the Ainur just wandering around hanging out and making trees, that sort of thing.

Like, what was the plan for how long the world should remain, what changes were expected, etc. One might ask similar questions as to what God intended with Adam, Eve, and Eden before the fall. (The answer in both cases is probably 'boring, pleasant life, forever')

Didn't Eru say when he was yelling at Melkor that even his discordant song was still part of the song and therefore still Eru's and not Melkor's or something to that effect?

The implication being that Melkor's discord isn't him one-upping God but is in fact part of God's plan.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't Eru say when he was yelling at Melkor that even his discordant song was still part of the song and therefore still Eru's and not Melkor's or something to that effect?

The implication being that Melkor's discord isn't him one-upping God but is in fact part of God's plan.

Correct. Specifically, the greater song was designed so that Melkor's dissonance would in fact complement and complete it. Unfortunately, Melkor completely missed the point of the whole exercise, which was to show that Eru had already anticipated what he was going to do.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Re: Tom Bombadil just after he rescued the hobbits from the wight.

quote:

He chose for himself from the pile a brooch set with blue stones, many shaded like flax-flowers or the wings of blue butterflies. He looked long at it, as if stirred by some memory, shaking his head, and saying at last:

'Here is a pretty toy for Tom and his lady! Fair was she who long ago wore this on her shoulder. Goldberry shall wear it now, and we will not forget her!'

Is it mentioned elsewhere who the brooch might have belonged to? Its certainly implied Tom knew her. Or am I just overthinking this and it's a throwaway line?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Octy posted:

Is it mentioned elsewhere who the brooch might have belonged to? Its certainly implied Tom knew her. Or am I just overthinking this and it's a throwaway line?
Probably this is just Bombadil's reminiscence, though I think he knew Arnorians when there was in fact an Arnor other than a few Dunedain villages in the north woods.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The barrow was that of the last prince of Cardolan, so probably it was someone associated with the Cardolanian (Cardolingian?) royal house he was thinking of. He does seem to have a bit of a thing for the Dunedain, he’s familiar with Aragorn and knows who he is after all. But it’s Bombadil so who the hell knows.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

Building on that: broadly speaking the elves are meant to contrast a “pagan” ideal of humanity with the Christian concept of humanity that Tolkien refers to as “men”. The elves are godlike entities. They walk with the gods and know their minds, they even mate with them to produce a heroic demigod whose ancestry will go on to define the legitimacy of even later merely human monarchs. They are beautiful and physically flawless and live forever, unafraid of death and sometimes glorying in it, but consequently have a monumental lack of humility that casts their morality and ultimate fate into doubt. Despite this, they were the originators of the culture to which men consider themselves heirs, uplifting men from a barbarous state and making possible their future civilization. They are at first fascinated by humanity, but ultimately disappointed and doomed by them. Even the best of them must ultimately resign themselves to this change and let their memories be consigned to myth while they retreat from the world proper into a worldly paradise.

Men are not godlike. All but a chosen few are ignorant of the divine. They are physically and spiritually frail and live in fear of death, but there is a consolation for them beyond death that redeems their lives in a way the elves are seemingly incapable of comprehending. Ultimately, God created the earth for their sake, and the whole saga of the elves was only a prelude to this. The legends of the elder days are concerned with understanding the relationship between these two kinds of human ideal. The reason why this works is because it’s what’s at the root of folkloric elves: they are remnants of some kind of pre-Christian Germanic worldview, but we know of them exclusively through Christian attempts to make sense of this passed-down tradition.

This makes a lot of sense to me esp now that I’ve learned a lot more about British history. What must the German colonizers thought of Britain when they found it post Roman Empire.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Building on that: broadly speaking the elves are meant to contrast a “pagan” ideal of humanity with the Christian concept of humanity that Tolkien refers to as “men”. The elves are godlike entities. They walk with the gods and know their minds, they even mate with them to produce a heroic demigod whose ancestry will go on to define the legitimacy of even later merely human monarchs. They are beautiful and physically flawless and live forever, unafraid of death and sometimes glorying in it, but consequently have a monumental lack of humility that casts their morality and ultimate fate into doubt. Despite this, they were the originators of the culture to which men consider themselves heirs, uplifting men from a barbarous state and making possible their future civilization. They are at first fascinated by humanity, but ultimately disappointed and doomed by them. Even the best of them must ultimately resign themselves to this change and let their memories be consigned to myth while they retreat from the world proper into a worldly paradise.

Men are not godlike. All but a chosen few are ignorant of the divine. They are physically and spiritually frail and live in fear of death, but there is a consolation for them beyond death that redeems their lives in a way the elves are seemingly incapable of comprehending. Ultimately, God created the earth for their sake, and the whole saga of the elves was only a prelude to this. The legends of the elder days are concerned with understanding the relationship between these two kinds of human ideal. The reason why this works is because it’s what’s at the root of folkloric elves: they are remnants of some kind of pre-Christian Germanic worldview, but we know of them exclusively through Christian attempts to make sense of this passed-down tradition.

This is a great writeup, thanks.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Ginette Reno posted:

Melkor's discord

Send me the link to his server, yo.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

skasion posted:

The barrow was that of the last prince of Cardolan, so probably it was someone associated with the Cardolanian (Cardolingian?) royal house he was thinking of. He does seem to have a bit of a thing for the Dunedain, he’s familiar with Aragorn and knows who he is after all. But it’s Bombadil so who the hell knows.

He's also familiar with Barliman Butterbur, so yeah who the hell knows.

Ah well, I always enjoy re-reading these books. I'm going through them more slowly this time and picking up odds and ends that I've missed/forgotten.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

elise the great posted:

Still convinced that Gimli took Thranduil’s seat on the boat when Legolas left cause Thranduil wanted his son to be happy (and preferred to stay with his kingdom). Either way it’s sad as gently caress cause it’s not like Gimli is gonna live forever over there like Legolas will and someday he’ll just be alone with strangers at the tomb of his dead husband friend.

I always took valinor to be a Tir na NOg type deal, no one dies of old age or whatever? Then again, I have no recollection of where I got that idea.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It is not the land that makes people deathless, but rather the Deathless who dwell therein have hallowed the land

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that’s just the black Númenorean in you. Elvish doctrine is that everyone in Valinor lives forever because the only people who live there are the kinds of people who happen to live forever anyway. In much the same way as elves and gods who leave continue to live immortally, mortals can’t be stripped of their mortality just by going there. Regardless of your position on such metaphysical questions, Frodo isn’t going to Valinor to live forever, he’s going there to forget his suffering so he can die in peace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good question on the lord of the rings read through podcast: who built the road east of Bree and where does it go? It obviously doesn’t go to Rivendell. It’s used by Dwarves. The last we see of it is at the Ford of Bruinin.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Data Graham posted:

It is not the land that makes people deathless, but rather the Deathless who dwell therein have hallowed the land

skasion posted:

Yeah, that’s just the black Númenorean in you. Elvish doctrine is that everyone in Valinor lives forever because the only people who live there are the kinds of people who happen to live forever anyway. In much the same way as elves and gods who leave continue to live immortally, mortals can’t be stripped of their mortality just by going there. Regardless of your position on such metaphysical questions, Frodo isn’t going to Valinor to live forever, he’s going there to forget his suffering so he can die in peace.

to these points, isn't there the idea that when mortals travel to the undying lands, their mortality is sped up? like they die even faster because their tiny mortal selves can't deal with how undying the lands actually are?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

Good question on the lord of the rings read through podcast: who built the road east of Bree and where does it go? It obviously doesn’t go to Rivendell. It’s used by Dwarves. The last we see of it is at the Ford of Bruinin.

Are you sure it doesn't go to Rivendell? I always read it as it goes to Rivendell (or at least close enough as makes no difference), and an eastbound traveller would then continue up and over the High Pass through the Misty Mountains, which then leads to another road going further east through Mirkwood and finally tips out somewhere near Erebor or Lake-town or the River Running. It surely would have been built and maintained by the King of Arnor for the convenience of anyone who wants to cross the Mountains but doesn't want to go as far south as Caradhras/Moria/the Gap of Rohan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rivendell is a hidden city.

Although you wonder how Boromir found it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trin Tragula posted:

Are you sure it doesn't go to Rivendell? I always read it as it goes to Rivendell (or at least close enough as makes no difference), and an eastbound traveller would then continue up and over the High Pass through the Misty Mountains, which then leads to another road going further east through Mirkwood and finally tips out somewhere near Erebor or Lake-town or the River Running. It surely would have been built and maintained by the King of Arnor for the convenience of anyone who wants to cross the Mountains but doesn't want to go as far south as Caradhras/Moria/the Gap of Rohan.

I think I assumed it goes to the mine works of Thorins' family during their wandering years. Could be wrong.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

Well yeah but it's not like it's miles away from anything. I always read it as, if you didn't know it was there you'd walk right past on the way from Bruinen up the High Pass, but if you're paying attention you know the exact cleft to go into and ten yards along, and then turn left where a cunning Labyrinth visual illusion makes it look like there isn't a left turn, and go down the stairs that you can't possibly see until you're right at the top of them, and so on and so forth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Dwarves, with parts of it probably improved by the northern Dunedain during the third age and other parts left to fall into decay as the House of Durin scattered. It goes over the passes east of Rivendell that they use in The Hobbit. Then it hooks up with the road through Mirkwood and heads off to points unknown in the east, probably the Iron Hills or Erebor or something eventually. The western terminus is in the Blue Mountains near the havens, to link up to the very old dwarven cities there. There’s no reason for the Arnorian kings to have built the whole thing to begin with though. There is no evidence that they had any contact with anyone on the other side of the mountains — the kingdoms of the Northmen there seem to have been considered part of Gondor’s backyard (such as in the background events to the Kinstrife).

euphronius posted:

Although you wonder how Boromir found it.

He was extremely hardcore, and also it’s not like the elves were trying to keep him out; but yeah there’s definitely a never fully told story there. Denethor was learned enough to give him the right approximate idea of where to go, but it still took him a month longer to get from Minas Tirith to Rivendell than it took the Fellowship to make the opposite journey.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Elrond already had scouts out looking for Frodo so maybe one of them found Boromir

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On the map in the book the road ends at the Ford.

Tough to see what it is called on Kindle tho.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do they use a road east of Rivendell in the Hobbit ? I don’t remember and I’m not buying it on Kindle.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Time to go do what I should have done from the start, here's what the narrator says when the hobbits arrive at Bree.

quote:

Down on the Road, where it swept to the right to go round the foot of the hill, there was a large inn. It had been built long ago when the traffic on the roads had been far greater. For Bree stood at an old meeting of ways; another ancient road crossed the East Road just outside the dike at the western end of the village, and in former days Men and other folk of various sorts had travelled much on it. Strange as News from Bree was still a saying in the Eastfarthing, descending from those days, when news from North, South, and East could be heard in the inn, and when the Shire-hobbits used to go more often to hear it. But the Northern Lands had long been desolate, and the North Road was now seldom used: it was grass-grown, and the Bree-folk called it the Greenway.

The Inn of Bree was still there, however, and the innkeeper was an important person. His house was a meeting place for the idle, talkative, and inquisitive among the inhabitants, large and small, of the four villages; and a resort of Rangers and other wanderers, and for such travellers (mostly dwarves) as still journeyed on the East Road, to and from the Mountains.

Emphasis mine. "Another" ancient road implies that both the Greenway and the East Road are of equal status; and we are also told that in in times past (but not quite yet out of memory), it was still possible to go to Bree and hear the news from the East. And of course "ancient road" reminds me that the mountains west of the Shire are survivors from the First Age, so yeah, that now sounds like a dwarf road, and there would have been news coming to Bree from the East from at least TA 1999/SR 399 (Thrain I becomes first King under the Mountain) to TA 2770/SR 1170 (Smaug comes to Erebor), which is only about 200 years before events in The Hobbit.

euphronius posted:

Do they use a road east of Rivendell in the Hobbit ? I don’t remember and I’m not buying it on Kindle.

quote:

It was indeed a much wider land from the ford to the mountains than ever you would have guessed. Bilbo was astonished. The only path was marked with white stones, some of which were small, and others were half covered with moss or heather. Altogether it was a very slow business following the track, even guided by Gandalf, who seemed to know his way about pretty well.

Whether this is a road that goes to Rivendell only, or which goes up into the mountains and one has to turn from it to get to the secret valley, or which splits in two and does both, is left unclear. When they get back on their way again:

quote:

There were many paths that led up into those mountains, and many passes over them. But most of the paths were cheats and deceptions and led nowhere or to bad ends; and most of the passes were infested by evil things and dreadful dangers. The dwarves and the hobbit, helped by the wise advice of Elrond and the knowledge and memory of Gandalf, took the right road to the right pass.

Long days after they had climbed out of the valley and left the Last Homely House miles behind, they were still going up and up and up. It was a hard path and a dangerous path, a crooked way and a lonely and a long. Now they could look back over the lands they had left, laid out behind them far below.

East of the mountains, it seems that Gandalf had intended them to take the marked Old Forest Road through Mirkwood, but when they get dropped on the Carrock by the Eagles, they stay north (as far away from Dol Guldur as possible) and go across Beorn's country instead (with no road, apparently) to another forest track.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 19, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sounds like no road east of Rivendell over the mountains. Which matches the map.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

He was extremely hardcore, and also it’s not like the elves were trying to keep him out; but yeah there’s definitely a never fully told story there. Denethor was learned enough to give him the right approximate idea of where to go, but it still took him a month longer to get from Minas Tirith to Rivendell than it took the Fellowship to make the opposite journey.

Boromir took the Gap of Rohan and lost his horse along the way iirc. Wouldn't that have been a bit of a circuitous route as opposed to the more direct path of going through Moria and then taking the river?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ginette Reno posted:

Boromir took the Gap of Rohan and lost his horse along the way iirc. Wouldn't that have been a bit of a circuitous route as opposed to the more direct path of going through Moria and then taking the river?

The Fellowship also wasted a month in Lorien

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

No, it's actually the most direct route from Minas Tirith, as well as the path of least resistance. Someone's done an interactive map that I've been referring to, have a look.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Many others of Elrond’s household stood in the shadows and watched them go, bidding them farewell with soft voices. There was no laughter, and no song or music. At last they turned away and faded silently into the dusk. They crossed the bridge and wound slowly up the long steep paths that led
out of the cloven vale of Rivendell; and they came at length to the high moor where the wind hissed through the heather. Then with one glance at the Last Homely House twinkling below them they strode away far into the night. At the Ford of Bruinen they left the Road and turning southwards went on by narrow paths among the folded lands.

This seems to imply the Road does indeed extend somewhat past the Ford to near Rivendell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think it would have occurred to anyone to think of Moria as a path to anywhere, let alone consider it the most direct route.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

He took the quickest route available to him, the Greenway, but it’s not very direct, as the land dictates. I don’t think Tolkien anywhere wrote - precise itinerary of Boromir’s journey, just the length overall — 110 days — so it’s hard to say when he got to the vicinity of Rivendell and started seriously looking around. Anyway, the fellowship were on foot for most of the distance to Gondor themselves.

cheetah7071 posted:

The Fellowship also wasted a month in Lorien

Hadn’t thought of this but that’s a good point. Further stresses the difficulty that Boromir encountered in his journey.

Data Graham posted:

I don't think it would have occurred to anyone to think of Moria as a path to anywhere, let alone consider it the most direct route.

Except Gandalf, the dope.

Boromir surely would not have considered going up the river (surely very difficult boating for a man alone anyway) in order to scale a pass he had never seen over the misty mountains just to get down into Eregion and still have weeks to get to Rivendell ahead of him. (Or go into Moria alone with no idea of the route through, lol). But the post isn’t saying he would.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Boromir could easily have wasted weeks or more in Rohan being a diplomat. the lands between Rohan and Rivendell are pretty empty because Middle Earth is practically post-apocalyptic but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a secondary mission of being Gondor's eyes and finding out what was going on up north, which would slow him down.