Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Will Torna be post-game or self-contained? I'm still on Chapter 9 of my first playthrough and may not get around to finishing it by Friday but i'd like to give Torna a go.

You know all the flashbacks to the Aegis War? That's what Torna's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Is the physical version of Torna going to be cheaper than buying the season pass? I dont really care about the other stuff in the pass.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Argona posted:

Is the physical version of Torna going to be cheaper than buying the season pass? I dont really care about the other stuff in the pass.

Physical version is $40

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Argona posted:

No.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's actually kinda nice coming back to XB2 after a while, now that I don't have the story fresh in my mind. Makes going around just doing quests or whatever kind of relaxing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

BoC and beyond has a massive nerf to healing which often means that Avant-Garde isn't sufficient enough to keep up against tough or enraged enemies. Keeping 1 or 2 panic healers around is a good idea, especially because they often still have pretty good utility or damage. Knuckles for example, even though their healing is generally pretty bad, also have launch and knockback (which can be used to interrupt powerful attacks if you know their tells).

On stuff where you don't really need that much healing, you can also ditch Avant-Garde for more damage/utility accessories. Especially stuff like party meter gains, extended launch duration, resistances, agro increase/decrease, etc. Just depends on how your team is setup, how much AoE/Spike the enemies have, and such.

Kora's potion extension passive is also really solid if you are controlling Nia. You can crank out piles of large potions that sit around for over 90 seconds, which (as long as the terrain is playing nice) is often better than direct healing because you can just pile them up and burst use them whenever you want to.

Kind of an issue with healing, in general, is that AI Nia is not very good at being a healer. She's bad about knowing when to save heals, manage potions, manage swaps (like Ursula), burst heal, and so on.

The most important thing of course, is to find your favorite characters and build some insane poo poo around them whether it makes sense or not. :v:

This is why I just control Nia. She's my favorite character and I like playing as her! Rex's rear end sits on the bench, for the record. I like using Knuckle Blades on her with the Avant Garde Medal and such. She has good survivability that way. I think my favorite Blade to use on her is the NG+ only Blade Obrona. Said Blade is an atk Blade but has a full party heal art. And also the Break art is spammable when you crit like Rex's Dual Spinning Edge. Slap a Beta Scope on Nia and never worry about Drive combos again!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blades 30 - 21 in the community tier list video series (I dig the Azami build at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKjdTEPNVQ

Blades 20 - 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr4i5NW-dAA

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not following the blade tier list videos as closely but will they touch common blades with especially powerful skill combinations? I kinda feel like a good roll of skills could in theory be more powerful than any rare blade.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

nerdz posted:

I'm not following the blade tier list videos as closely but will they touch common blades with especially powerful skill combinations? I kinda feel like a good roll of skills could in theory be more powerful than any rare blade.

I don't know, but that second part is definitely true, at least as far as a supporting role goes. Having a good 4* common blade with Orb Master and some other damage additive goes a long way toward boosting the damage output of the other Blades in your team.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm trying to find little things to do every day to keep myself on track to making progress. At some point I want to max the affinity of, at the very least, all of the fixed story Blades. Which leads me to my main question - is there an easy thing that Pyra can make to max out Cooking?

Related question, is there an easy way to look up how to make the dishes that fill out Crosette's nodes?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Glitterbake, none of the ingredients are rare and I believe most/all of them can be harvested from the points in the Torigoth farm area. Equip Agronomy blades for more drops.

Crossette nodes, go here, scroll down, click on the meal in question, then click through ingredients from there to find out where best to farm for them: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Crossette

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Pyra's now up from 2 cookings to 36, which I was surprised by. The ingredients for Glitterbake were both in Torigoth Farm and Argentum, so I have to go back and forth a bit, but it's better than anything else I could probably do. It's a very life-draining activity though so I can't really do it for too long. We'll see how the Crossette fillings go tomorrow, maybe.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Blades 10 - 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqYc9_d661E

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Per the Nintendo Direct, if you have the Expansion Pass you can download Torna TOMORROW :siren:

Otherwise you have to wait until the 21st.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can I still buy the expansion pass or do they have a time limit on those things?

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 14, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Per the Nintendo Direct, if you have the Expansion Pass you can download Torna TOMORROW :siren:

Otherwise you have to wait until the 21st.

Nice. Work is closed because of the hurricane tomorrow and I live somewhere fairly well insulated against the storm soooooooo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can I still buy the expansion pass or do they have a time limit on those things?

Yeah I doubt it will go away any time soon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Out now here (Australia)

Any down under goons downloaded it and had a play yet?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The update makes me want to try to get back in to xbc 2, but I remember getting frustrated because I want to approach the game's combat like an MMO's, but I'm unsure what the optimal way to cancel attacks to do high damage per second was. (Like, do I hold off on using arts in order to always cancel just the final auto-attack in the sequence? what if all my arts are getting filled, aren't I just wasting Art Juice?)

That, and I was unable to determine how costly moving is in combat in order to go for position-bonuses.

Can anyone help me out here with this info, pretty please? :shobon:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Out now here (Australia)

Any down under goons downloaded it and had a play yet?
I played about an hour's worth and had fun with it.

Feels like I'm leveling up waaaayyyy faster than in the main game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

The update makes me want to try to get back in to xbc 2, but I remember getting frustrated because I want to approach the game's combat like an MMO's, but I'm unsure what the optimal way to cancel attacks to do high damage per second was. (Like, do I hold off on using arts in order to always cancel just the final auto-attack in the sequence? what if all my arts are getting filled, aren't I just wasting Art Juice?)

That, and I was unable to determine how costly moving is in combat in order to go for position-bonuses.

Can anyone help me out here with this info, pretty please? :shobon:

If you have a full art, use it. On Rex, for sword blades mostly, its optimal to stutter step after his initial swing to make him do his that swing again since its faster than the rest of his combo. In terms of positioning dont bother worrying about any move that requires that until you have tank characters and aggro reducers on your DPS characters as enemies spin freely and the amount of damage and time youll lose getting back into position isnt worth it.

Rex will eventually become ridiculously boring as his optimal setup is tricking out one of his mandatory sword blades with critical chance boosting stuff so you can press the art button over and over and over again as it auto refills on a critical.

There is a skill that lets you cancel arts into arts, you should beeline that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was in a hurry this morning and left my switch at home :negative:

Was gonna get some Torna in during my lunch today and won't be home until late today :smith:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Are there any patch notes for the normal game in addition to Torna?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played an hour or so of Torna. So far a 100% improvement over the base game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Does it show up as another new game option from the title screen? Or does it download a new switch game icon?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it's here but... I have dragon quest....

gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Does it show up as another new game option from the title screen? Or does it download a new switch game icon?

On the main screen of Xenoblade 2 where it normally says new game continue options a new golden option will appear called Torna and you select that which takes you to a new title screen to start that game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

U-DO Burger posted:

it's here but... I have dragon quest....

gently caress

Spider Man for me :smith::hf::smith:

it's why I was bummed about forgetting my switch because it's basically gonna be a game I play on the go until I finish Spidey

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Torna is good y'all

The battle system is even more chaotic than before but I do like the design ideas more, too. And the reintroduction of talent arts is neat.

I think having a set party will do wonders for the games' difficulty balance, to, although that still remains to be seen.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Barudak posted:

If you have a full art, use it. On Rex, for sword blades mostly, its optimal to stutter step after his initial swing to make him do his that swing again since its faster than the rest of his combo. In terms of positioning dont bother worrying about any move that requires that until you have tank characters and aggro reducers on your DPS characters as enemies spin freely and the amount of damage and time youll lose getting back into position isnt worth it.

Rex will eventually become ridiculously boring as his optimal setup is tricking out one of his mandatory sword blades with critical chance boosting stuff so you can press the art button over and over and over again as it auto refills on a critical.

There is a skill that lets you cancel arts into arts, you should beeline that.

Thank you!

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Barudak posted:

Played an hour or so of Torna. So far a 100% improvement over the base game.

They even added autosave! Hidden under settings and turned off by default but hey baby steps.

Haven’t played very much so far but the vanguard system is really really cool. My only complaint so far is that I couldn’t find an option to turn off the tutorials or at least limit them to new mechanics not in XB2 but I guess it wouldn’t be a Xenoblade title without ridiculous amounts of tutorial pop ups.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They are really getting mileage out of the sax from what I'm hearing of the soundtrack.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Autosave, they finally store tutorial messages in System, collection point items spawn out way faster and with less hassle, menus feel faster and look sharper. This is exceeding even Blood & Wine in terms of little improvements

Game itself is rad. Opening cinematic was cool as hell and didn't waste time dropping lore bombs

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Really enjoying the expansion pack, but i think new players would be lost and confused.

Hell even I'm slightly confused as I try to remember stuff from the main game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Really enjoying the expansion pack, but i think new players would be lost and confused.

Hell even I'm slightly confused as I try to remember stuff from the main game.

Slamming the skip cutscene button hasnt steered me wrong so far.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Barudak posted:

This hurts me to my core

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Never skip cutscenes unless you have already seen them, no matter how bad.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

Boooo!

Really enjoying the expansion so far. This time through I'm actually focusing on unlocking affinity nodes as i travel and it makes fights a breeze.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
After playing for a few hours, my initial impressions of Torna are that it's really really good. The expansion was absolutely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Barudak posted:

Why would you even play this game if you're going to ignore half of it

The gameplay isn't that good