Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first LotR mmo was the only time I've ever managed to play one for more than a week without getting bored. I dunno why since it wasn't really different in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The LOTR mmo was built around the leveling process being a thing you'd want to play and has at least somewhat engaging quests and dialogue, if you're at least a bit into the tolkien style fantasy. Most other MMOs are either field grinds or quest grinds to max level where you then proceed to grind dungeons.

I'd say the same holds for ff14, but the first 51 levels of ff14 contain so much bullshit filler in the main quest chain it probably rivals naruto.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I also played the Warden class where you actually had to memorise combos to do anything other than basic attacks and took a ton of concentration sometimes.

And they were basically the Spartan dudes from 300.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wow even in its weakened form this hurricane really blows.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Sakurazuka posted:

I also played the Warden class where you actually had to memorise combos to do anything other than basic attacks and took a ton of concentration sometimes.

And they were basically the Spartan dudes from 300.

Yeah, LOTR was pretty imaginative with its classes. I think the most vanilla lovely MMO classes it has are guardian (the standard MMO tonk), and Minstrel (the standard MMO healer, but heals with music). Everything else is at least some form of hybrid class or even just completely out of the park like warden or captain.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lotro minstrel has you running around hollering at monsters to kill them

it's pretty fun

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rarity posted:

I have never met Isabelle before but after that trailer she's already my favourite mayoral assistant and I wish her well in the combat fights

Figures that loving fascist Nook would send his pure and wholesome assistant out to do his dirty work for him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

I'd say the same holds for ff14, but the first 51 levels of ff14 contain so much bullshit filler in the main quest chain it probably rivals naruto.

I really hope they overhaul the 1-50 leveling experience in FFXIV at some point, but I think it'd be an absolutely massive job. FFXIV has a big focus on having a continuous story, so they can't do a Cataclysm thing and have an entirely new 1-50 that then still feeds into Heavensward. If they redo levels 1-50, they'd also have to make it fit with the current ARR 2.0 story.

That said, I suspect it'd be possible. There's probably a lot of filler that could be cut without needing to add too much extra dialog to smooth things over, for example.

I'd love if they could get rid of the class/job divide thing, too, because as time goes on and more new jobs are added, that's only going to get more confusing for new players. But it's probably not all that possible--the level 1-30 class quests are still some of the best around for many classes (especially Pugilist) and they'd stop making sense if you were your job from level 1. And then there's the Scholar/Summoner problem. If you do away with classes and just have jobs, what do you do with the only instance of a class with two job options? So it's probably best that they just leave that how it is and accept that it's always going to be kind of weird.

If the rumors about the next expansion are true (specifically, three new jobs), there'll be almost as many jobs with no base class as there are classes, and only one or two expansions after that there'll straight-up be more.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with most of that but you can pry my free dps class from my cold dead hands. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

everyone who got snapped was returned after the infinity war, but not everyone came back the same way they left.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lights starting to flicker here. Still on ATM but its concerning.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

Lights starting to flicker here. Still on ATM but its concerning.

:ohdear:

Make sure to keep everything that needs to be charged (like portable game consoles... And your phone I guess) at max!

Florence swerved around where I'm at so we just have a strong breeze. Stay safe

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been wanting to play Resonance of Fate again! Been hoping it would be backwards compatible on Xbox One, or at the very least have been considering rebuying it on PlayStation 3. Going to just hold off now for the PC version.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1040595545738231809

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh boy, resonance of fate!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Figures that loving fascist Nook would send his pure and wholesome assistant out to do his dirty work for him

nook provides the homeless with interest-free housing and no payment deadlines or pressure of any kind

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wonder if that counts as tri-ace's game to be announced

you wouldn't think so, but i saw the budget of SO5.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also Isabelle isn't Nook's assistant, she's deputy mayor, how dare you.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

nook provides the homeless with interest-free housing and no payment deadlines or pressure of any kind

So did slavers in the south

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I've been wanting to play Resonance of Fate again! Been hoping it would be backwards compatible on Xbox One, or at the very least have been considering rebuying it on PlayStation 3. Going to just hold off now for the PC version.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1040595545738231809

Aw yiss, this is one of the top games I always heard about about couldn't play

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Looper posted:

At the Nintendo store in NYC they have a t-shirt with a picture of tom nook and the caption FOREVER A LOAN

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aw yiss, this is one of the top games I always heard about about couldn't play

Is that screenshot of a gun from RoF?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:ohdear:

Make sure to keep everything that needs to be charged (like portable game consoles... And your phone I guess) at max!

Florence swerved around where I'm at so we just have a strong breeze. Stay safe
Thanks. I'm near Raleigh so the worst is south of us so I don't think things will get too bad over here, but we've still got some Tornado and flood watches right now and based on the maps I'm looking at there's still more storm to come.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wildtortilla posted:

Is that screenshot of a gun from RoF?

Yes, sadly they're not replicated in game

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

The Colonel posted:

battle circuit getting an official home release is maybe the best thing about it cause that game might just straight-up be the best side scrolling beat em up ever in terms of design and mechanics

What makes a good side scrolling brawler? They've always confused me as a genre. Like, how do you 'be good' at just mashing a button and walking forwards? Is there any skill to them?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're playing a coin munching arcade game from the 80's/90's not really. if you're playing one that actually has some attention put into the design it's all about hitting things and not getting hit back. it's why the genre evolved into ninja gaiden/devil may cry/bayonetta etc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Now I want a Platinum-style Knights of the Round

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Dragon’s Crown is the most modern one and I liked it alright except the screen would get way too busy compared to the fun old ones like the DnD one, Turtles in Time, and Golden Axe.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

Thanks. I'm near Raleigh so the worst is south of us so I don't think things will get too bad over here, but we've still got some Tornado and flood watches right now and based on the maps I'm looking at there's still more storm to come.

Hi there, I'm south of you in the upper Midlands of SC! We're looking at possible 10' of rain

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

My college roommate used to play Kirby exclusively back in Melee and he was so drat good at eating people, then jumping off the stage, shooting them to the right, and floating back up. If you knew what you were doing it wasn't impossible to recover but most of us didn't so he would fuckin clean up with that poo poo

the day me and my brothers discovered yoshi could turn people into eggs and throw em off the stage was magical

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Colonel posted:

daemon x machina is also directed by a guy who worked on the old armored core games so that's a thing

My first thought was "cel shaded armored core??"

Sold!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hi there, I'm south of you in the upper Midlands of SC! We're looking at possible 10' of rain
How are you guys holding up?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

lol

Yeah, LOTR was pretty imaginative with its classes. I think the most vanilla lovely MMO classes it has are guardian (the standard MMO tonk), and Minstrel (the standard MMO healer, but heals with music). Everything else is at least some form of hybrid class or even just completely out of the park like warden or captain.

Although it really bummed me out how they tried to do magic classss but keep the magic kinda covert since Tolkien didn't have wow levels of high magic everywhere.

So you had a million people playing hobbit rogues and elven rangers and if you wanted to be different you were... 'loremaster'

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looper posted:

He is a slumlord who foists housing of his own choosing upon new residents, and then indentures them against their will whether they wanted his lovely house or not, and pays them only in his own proprietary currency, because he's also a loving narcissist

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 14, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I really hope they overhaul the 1-50 leveling experience in FFXIV at some point, but I think it'd be an absolutely massive job. FFXIV has a big focus on having a continuous story, so they can't do a Cataclysm thing and have an entirely new 1-50 that then still feeds into Heavensward. If they redo levels 1-50, they'd also have to make it fit with the current ARR 2.0 story.

That said, I suspect it'd be possible. There's probably a lot of filler that could be cut without needing to add too much extra dialog to smooth things over, for example.

I'd love if they could get rid of the class/job divide thing, too, because as time goes on and more new jobs are added, that's only going to get more confusing for new players. But it's probably not all that possible--the level 1-30 class quests are still some of the best around for many classes (especially Pugilist) and they'd stop making sense if you were your job from level 1. And then there's the Scholar/Summoner problem. If you do away with classes and just have jobs, what do you do with the only instance of a class with two job options? So it's probably best that they just leave that how it is and accept that it's always going to be kind of weird.

If the rumors about the next expansion are true (specifically, three new jobs), there'll be almost as many jobs with no base class as there are classes, and only one or two expansions after that there'll straight-up be more.

They need to just give out boosts with expansions the way wow does.

They already have quest skip potions they just charge an arm and a leg for them which is real lame and greedy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Convexed posted:

What makes a good side scrolling brawler? They've always confused me as a genre. Like, how do you 'be good' at just mashing a button and walking forwards? Is there any skill to them?

Some of them have combos and special moves and stuff.

But most are old-school coin munchers with little agency, agreed.

I want more beat em ups with street fighter levels of combos and moves. :(

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I want a Platinum-style Knights of the Round

God, yes

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

it seems like the switch 'drought' is pretty much over now, as they now have AAA support (EA with sportz, 2K with Civ, Ubisoft with Starlink), and AA devs like Cities Skylines, on top of the first party games

that being said I still mostly only care about the indie games, especially because game discounts on Switch are, well.... welll.... wellllll...... welllllllll

I really wanna buy a switch but these international prices are... geez louise

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Why is Tri-Ace doing a remaster of this instead of VP2

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Am I to believe a series of actual factual invites go out to Smash characters? And if so who is sending them? Or does Sakurai exist within the Nintendo Universe as well as our own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
man I can't wait to Katamari on the Switch- perfect chill game for traveling

• Locked thread