Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah lol @ the idea that computers obviate the need for a postal service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

James Baud posted:

Says a lot about their bargaining strength, doesn't it - nobody really cares any more. They could be out for months and only computer-phobic seniors would even notice.

That’s not even a little bit true.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

MasterSitsu posted:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/13/canada-weed-pot-border-783260

"If a traveler admits to past use of any illegal drugs, including marijuana, the traveler will be found to be inadmissible into the United States. CBP typically will allow them the opportunity to “voluntary withdraw” from the border — or face an “expedited removal.” Whether or not the traveler enters the U.S., a record will be kept by CBP and that traveler will not be allowed to return to the U.S. "

I guess that means Doug Ford would be banned if he tried to enter?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tagesschau posted:

If you have no bank cards, don't have to pay rent, and never send or receive packages, I see how you might think this. Even Amazon sometimes sends packages via Canada Post.

Seriously?

If you're gonna be like that, at least try to list something that can't be trivially done without Canada Post.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

James Baud posted:

Seriously?

If you're gonna be like that, at least try to list something that can't be trivially done without Canada Post.

Pay rent, receive bank cards.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wait, how do you pay rent that involves the post?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I never have a good experience with private shipping and insist on Canada Post because at least they deliver stuff instead of lying about making a delivery attempt and making me go to some backwoods depot

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I never have a good experience with private shipping and insist on Canada Post because at least they deliver stuff instead of lying about making a delivery attempt and making me go to some backwoods depot

Bingo. If I miss something from Canada Post I just have to go to my drugstore. WAY better.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is the strike why Canada Post is a week late on my online order

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 14, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How the gently caress is Canada Post needed to pay rent? And all bank cards are shipped to a branch.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I send cheques by mail to my landlady

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

I send cheques by mail to my landlady

Wtf are you a time traveller

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tagesschau posted:

Is this particularly surprising? I'm pretty sure it's been the case for years.

It’s dumb as hell that previous use of a legal substance would get you a lifetime ban, but it will almost certainly not be a big deal to me, a white mid 30s professional, so I guess I can just ignore it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
But it's not legal?

The whole point is pot is illegal at the federal level in the US.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wtf are you a time traveller

As far as I can tell, the entire reason cheques still exist is to deal with old landlords. They are everywhere, and They Do Not Understand What An E-Transfer Is and/or are pretty sure you're going to use them to scam them.

Usually they just make me give them post-dated cheques tho, I've never mailed em.

I've sent exactly one snail mail thing in the last decade but I still kinda like getting packages. Getting stuff. It's handy.

Actually hey, lemme tell you about how my place that I moved into in this year would only accept the last month's deposit by not e-transfer, not check, but by a loving Money Order or Certified Cheque only. CIBC literally doesn't even have certified cheques anymore so uh, money order it was.

They do actually take e-deposits for the monthly rent, thank gently caress, no idea why the last month had to be an explicitly arcane paper proccess.

One year I managed to bank a dumb amount of Aeroplan points because the online service that the property management company had let me use a credit card for it. That was a pretty good deal although the reasons why rent isn't usually allowed to be payed on credit are pretty self explanatory.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 14, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
While we're making GBS threads on USA for not allowing people who break their laws, does anybody remember that time Canada refused entry to Chelsea Manning?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I actually just realized the Manning case was worse, because they accused her of treason, when the definitions of treason and high treason specify they must happen in Canada. Anyway, abolish borders.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Abolish UPS. I guess the impending strike is the reason Lee Valley shipped my last order by them. It actually arrived in a reasonable length of time, undamaged, and so far there has been no attempt to double bill. I think this might be a first in my decade and a half relationship with United Parcel Smashers.

Just learned today that Devin Dreeshen, the Alberta UCP trade critic, was down south working on the Trump campaign in 2016. Or maybe it's already been mentioned here and there's just too much :stare: going on for me to keep track of all of it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah, Canada Post is way better for parcel delivery, and I wish Amazon would just use them instead of these awful couriers. FedEx and UPS are okay, but only because I happen to work next to their depots.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Canada Post is one of the only government agencies that regularly turns a profit, isn't it? I seem to remember hearing about that ages back when Harper wanted to cut them back for basically no reason.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THC posted:

yeah lol @ the idea that computers obviate the need for a postal service

i can just order everything through my computer on amazon dot ca, checkmate postal service

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

How the gently caress is Canada Post needed to pay rent? And all bank cards are shipped to a branch.

Since when? I have never had a bank card go to my branch this side of Y2K; my first credit card in 2004 was mailed directly to me, as has every debit card in the last 18 years. I'm vaguely sure I could have asked them to mail it to them instead of me, but it sure wasn't the default at RBC.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Write check, mail check, continue living in apartment.

Not all banks have branches; I received a card from such a bank literally yesterday. Even the big banks don't ship cards to a branch unless you ask specifically, and doing all your banking at one bricks-and-mortar branch is even more anachronistic than mailing a check to your landlord.

Hexigrammus posted:

Abolish UPS.

At least they're unionized, unlike FedEx.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm renewing my health card and the replacement comes in the mail. My credit card expired and the new one came in the mail. Curiously enough, many things come in the mail and not everything happens via direct deposit or e-statements.

As someone who runs an Etsy store and sends out parcels this may be an issue, but also 100% gently caress Deepak Chopra and the rest of the people who run Canada Post, if the workers feel the need to strike then I'm sure their reasons are valid. I used to work in their outsourced call centre and God drat do I have stories.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Canada Post is one of the only government agencies that regularly turns a profit, isn't it? I seem to remember hearing about that ages back when Harper wanted to cut them back for basically no reason.

I recall that it doesn't turn a profit any more, but it did up until Harper and Chopra arbitrarily decided to lock out the workers for a while and they lost a significant chunk of market share. This information is from a few years ago though so it may be out of date.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

I recall that it doesn't turn a profit any more, but it did up until Harper and Chopra arbitrarily decided to lock out the workers for a while and they lost a significant chunk of market share. This information is from a few years ago though so it may be out of date.

Also ex Pitney-Bowes CEO and then Canada Post CEO Chopra borrowing 2 billion to buy new mail sorting machines from... Pitney-Bowes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Their biggest problem from what I understand isn’t the profitability of the Crown Corp (I believe that they might actually be profitable) but rather the massive pension solvency deficit.

They were positive on profits from operations from 2014-16 at least. I didn’t look further than that.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Jordan7hm posted:

Their biggest problem from what I understand isn’t the profitability of the Crown Corp (I believe that they might actually be profitable) but rather the massive pension solvency deficit.

They were positive on profits from operations from 2014-16 at least. I didn’t look further than that.

Bill C-27 is in second reading. Let's hope the Libs just forget about it...

:confuoot:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Jordan7hm posted:

From a quick look, it was just 2011 and 2013 that they posted a loss. Otherwise they've always been profitable recently (and relatively steady at that).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Amazon only uses Canada post for me. Maybe because I always ship to a post office?

FedEx can get hosed though. Gotta love a company that will just randomly charge you more a few weeks after you get your package. At least ups fucks you face to face.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Amazon only uses Canada post for me

Amazon never uses Canada Post for me, only UPS, maybe it's prime?

tagesschau posted:

Write check, mail check, continue living in apartment.

Not all banks have branches; I received a card from such a bank literally yesterday. Even the big banks don't ship cards to a branch unless you ask specifically, and doing all your banking at one bricks-and-mortar branch is even more anachronistic than mailing a check to your landlord.

cheque*

I haven't paid rent by cheque in a decade. I haven't even seen a cheque in a decade.

Karatela posted:

Since when? I have never had a bank card go to my branch this side of Y2K; my first credit card in 2004 was mailed directly to me, as has every debit card in the last 18 years. I'm vaguely sure I could have asked them to mail it to them instead of me, but it sure wasn't the default at RBC.

:shrug: I've always had to go pick up cards at the branch, for TD.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I've been getting more and more of this lovely Intelcom courier with Amazon. Their drivers look like they're cross-training for Olympic sprinting with how fast they charge out of their van and chuck whatever package on my steps no matter how valuable without ringing the doorbell, which is awesome when you live in a neighbourhood where everything not nailed down is stolen immediately.

quote:

I've always had to go pick up cards at the branch, for TD.

TD definitely mails cards, although you can get them delivered to a branch as well.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm pretty sure even if you get TD to send your card to a branch they still use Canada Post/Purolator to send it there

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

enki42 posted:

I've been getting more and more of this lovely Intelcom courier with Amazon. Their drivers look like they're cross-training for Olympic sprinting with how fast they charge out of their van and chuck whatever package on my steps no matter how valuable without ringing the doorbell, which is awesome when you live in a neighbourhood where everything not nailed down is stolen immediately.

TD definitely mails cards, although you can get them delivered to a branch as well.

Mail to a post office where there is at least a semblance of security to verify the recipient

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think most banks offer to mail cards to your address because it's convenient!

I love being shipped parcels via can post cause of all their depots, and they're much more likely to actually enter my apartment building and use the elevator or climb the stairs. (fed ex just reported customer not home yesterday, even though I took the whole day off and was waiting at home with everything at low volume)

Anyways go Can Post! More power to them if they're posed to strike.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
:911:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I haven't paid rent by cheque in a decade. I haven't even seen a cheque in a decade.
That's nice, but my landlord is a numbered company that provided no contact info other than a post office box and a Gmail address.

CLAM DOWN posted:

:shrug: I've always had to go pick up cards at the branch, for TD.

A lot of banks do not have branches. Tangerine, for instance, has five permanent customer-facing locations, and they are not full-service branches. I think, with the exception of my first debit card and maybe my first credit card, TD has mailed me everything.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thanks CBC

quote:

Is this election poster racist?

Some say Québec Solidaire's free dental care ad is inclusive, others say it's a caricature

After 20 or so paragraphs of people calling the poster racist, we get:

quote:

​The artist commissioned by Québec Solidaire to create the dental-care poster, as well as some others, is Dimani Mathieu Cassendo — a graphic novelist from Montreal North, who is black.

"It's a self-portrait," Cassendo said with a laugh.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm pretty sure even if you get TD to send your card to a branch they still use Canada Post/Purolator to send it there

Nope, at TD at least all internal stuff was sent through the bank's secure mailing service.

I use Canada Post all the time since being somewhat rural it's often easier and cheaper to buy things online than in person, but if the workers feel the need to strike I'll survive and support them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tagesschau posted:

A lot of banks do not have branches. Tangerine, for instance, has five permanent customer-facing locations, and they are not full-service branches. I think, with the exception of my first debit card and maybe my first credit card, TD has mailed me everything.

"A lot of banks do not have branches"

*literally just describes how one of the small ones has branches*

Also TD will only mail your cards to your own address if you specifically request it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Peoples Party of Canada" :lol: