Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

comedyblissoption posted:

milton friedman's argument in favor of ford creating death fire trap pintos without government oversight was that customers would be omniscient and could do the cost/benefit analysis on their own on whether or not the [tiny] parts savings on a ford pinto to prevent it from being a deathtrap is worth it to them. his argument was that whether or not the cost for safety was a million dollars or some tiny amount was immaterial to whether or not the government should intervene on principle.

milton friedman is a piss stain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Faded Mars posted:

If you're not going to spend the money, why bother making it? Is it really just a game to them about making numbers go higher?

It's a form of worship.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

JUST PAY YOUR loving TAXES YOU SUPPURATING COCK.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I like how even in a suit bezos has no shoulders. He looks like a Seuss character

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/arriva-trains-wales-customers-lost-wallet-property-charges-a8536946.html

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Bezos has some real lazy eye in that picture. Those pupils are not looking at the same thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Bezos has some real lazy eye in that picture. Those pupils are not looking at the same thing.

His appearance is one of the least disgusting things about him tho.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He is a great man and has made the world a much better place. HE deserves all that money, ever single last dollar, because he is better than us and the work he does personally is invaluable

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

JUST PAY YOUR loving TAXES YOU SUPPURATING COCK.

bezos is a legit genius, i'd rather him be in charge of the education system then someone who got the job because of connections.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qkkl posted:

bezos is a legit genius, i'd rather him be in charge of the education system then someone who got the job because of connections.

While I will admit he is unlikely to be worst that DeVos,

WHAT THE gently caress YOU gently caress

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Graphic posted:

more of the same ideology that sells having a non-garbage education system as "investing in children." what if it's just good for an advanced society to highly educate it's population even if you don't get an ROI

The value of labor power, like every commodity, is determined by what labor is socially necessary to reproduce it. Under capitalism, an investment in cost-saving education (one which only does what is necessary) is an investment in cost-saving for capital.

Bezos is already trying to profit from ever more exploitededucational labor, and if he ever does the same for high schools, you can bet he will try to suck up as much cheap labor-power being produced by those schools as he can.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

qkkl posted:

His success is based on insane ruthlessness, not intelligence, regardless of of how smart he is as a person. I'd hold off on assuming his education management would be anything approaching good.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If you thought schools were just a jail for kids before wait until they're run like an Amazon warehouse!

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

His success is based on insane ruthlessness, not intelligence, regardless of of how smart he is as a person. I'd hold off on assuming his education management would be anything approaching good.

ruthlessness without intelligence leads to prison.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

qkkl posted:

Not clued up on modern American politics, then?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qkkl posted:

Trump must be really smart then since he's been a ruthless rear end in a top hat all his life yet somehow became president instead of going to prison

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

qkkl posted:

ruthlessness without intelligence wealth leads to prison.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qkkl posted:

lol what

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

intelligence in this case is defined as possession of money and/or white skin

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

qkkl posted:

yes this is exactly why all those oil execs who deny climate change science are locked up for destroying the environment. oh what's that? they're actually all loving instagram models on their yachts? cool cool

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Shima Honnou posted:

If you thought schools were just a jail for kids before wait until they're run like an Amazon warehouse!
Problem: Students ditching class

Solution: Place students in education cages, moving via oversized roomba from operation to operation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

yes this is exactly why all those oil execs who deny climate change science are locked up for destroying the environment. oh what's that? they're actually all loving instagram models on their yachts? cool cool

To be fair they're not denying it because they're stupid, they're denying it because their money depends on denying it. In the background they're doing poo poo like putting in place global warming continuity of business plans and buying insurance for it and staking claims on oil under melting ice caps.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

qkkl posted:

i see the gobbagool / splitpeasuperman replacement account has arrived

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

qkkl posted:

Source your quotes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

qkkl posted:

How dumb are you

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

How dumb are you

well we know he's not ruthless 'cause he's not in prison

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

qkkl posted:

Imagine typing this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hyped y'all to bingewatch the final season of American Capitalism where rich people are universally paralyzed by the choice between vigorous taxation and vigorous guillotines.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Inept posted:

The full quote is better

when Amazon talks about firing its workers, they use the euphemism "promoted to customer"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

galenanorth posted:

when Amazon talks about firing its workers, they use the euphemism "promoted to customer"
yea this was also the hilarious running joke we had going at apple as well

you’ll be hearing from my lawyer about this blatant copyright infringement

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

galenanorth posted:

Same was done at Blizzard, Lowes, Time Warner....

I mean most retail or customer facing jobs have this dark joke as a way to cope.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm surprised Amazon doesnt pay its caged workers in Amazon bucks.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

we’d also discuss whether or not somebody had ‘drunk the Kool-Aid’ in relation to how much of an apple fanboy they were

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
All they need to do to get around company scrip laws is give a very low wage but a huge discount on amazon toilitries and whole foods groceries. Make the discount tiered based on their average weekly hours to stop people from gaming the system, and viola: Company town centered around a warehouse and whole foods

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Sentient Data posted:

All they need to do to get around company scrip laws is give a very low wage but a huge discount on amazon toilitries and whole foods groceries. Make the discount tiered based on their average weekly hours to stop people from gaming the system, and viola: Company town centered around a warehouse and whole foods

Isn't this kind of what Walmart is already doing?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

why give huge discounts when the federal government is already giving them free government scrip to buy the food they otherwise couldn't afford

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
10%, and it doesn't apply to groceries. They need to push harder for us to reach full cyberpunk hell.

That'll be $5,300,000 in consulting fees, please

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Boksi posted:

Isn't this kind of what Walmart is already doing?

They're running food drives so the employees can eat. Please give to our peoples

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
also, no sustainable small town in the us is not a company town and none ever will be

all the ones hoping for the luxury of being company towns are having to give tax concessions and insane loans to the corps that might deign to move in a small operation to their town

go check out how the Ark Encounter played out lol, they took out like almost 10 grand per resident in loans and just handed it out to the guys building a giant noah's ark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Duscat posted:

all the ones hoping for the luxury of being company towns are having to give tax concessions and insane loans to the corps that might deign to move in a small operation to their town

Can't say i'm too sympathetic to the woe is small business angle used here, but it's the Guardian so go figure. Dollar General hustles an impressive amount of tax and utility breaks for it's stores.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/13/dollar-general-walmart-buhler-haven-kansas