Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It reminds me of Johnny English Reloaded, a largely bad sequel to the first Johnny English. Most of it is forgettable or unfunny but there's this one sequence where he's doing an on foot chase of this super fit athletic criminal doing all sorts of parkour. He just calmly walks after him. The criminal jumps off three walls to slip through a narrow window, Johnny just opens the unlocked door and goes on through. The criminal quickly scales a fire escape by treating it like a salmon ladder, Johnny just takes the lift. The criminal gets on a motorcycle and weaves through traffic. Johnny just gets in a police car and turns on the siren and traffic politely pulls over so his pursuit is unobstructed. And when he does actually catch up to him, he does display competence by rather easily defeating the guy in hand to hand combat. It's such a good "Horse vs motorcycle" sequence in an otherwise bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can't believe they're making a third after the awfulness of the second

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

As opposed to the comedic brilliance of the first film?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its amazing that they managed to take the concept of "Rowan Atkinson as a bumbling spy" and gently caress it up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really loved the first film. They're making a third?

The first film is what Get Smart should have been.

Of course I'm a weirdo and really love Mr. Beans Holiday. It's a fantastic throwback to silent movies and a wonderful children's film imo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

As opposed to the comedic brilliance of the first film?
It was alright. Theres some good sequences in it and Natalie Imbruglia is the dreamiest, but its nothing special.

The best thing about it though is the endless digs at the French, because they have the OSS 117 movies and they're way better than Johnny English.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think JE came out before the first OSS. OSS 117 is definitely the best comedic spy series though. I love the old school filmmaking style too with obvious day for night and amazing sets and props that look straight plucked from some 60s B movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Vince MechMahon posted:

Also War Zone is a really bad example of a movie being "true to the comics." Regardless of how much you enjoy it, it's a very, very bad adaptation of the source material that's self parody at best.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just a reminder that the 'How Did This Get Made' blog did an episode on Punisher: War Zone and had director Lexi Alexander as a guest and she was very frank about the entire business. She became hot property when a short film she shot got nominated for an Academy award

Lexi Alexander posted:

And I was sitting there at the Oscars and I always say to people "So, just so you know, while I was sitting at the Oscars I wasn't thinking "I hope I get offered the third remake of Punisher!""

When her agent was pushing the script on her she was hesitant because the only comics she'd ever read at that point were Tintin and Asterix. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uxy9Izj6tc&t=23s

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's a difference between a cover and am entire movie. There's also a difference between the kind of humor in Ennis run, for example, than what War Zone did. I'm not anti-humor in Punisher. I just don't think War Zone was funny. Even it's decent ideas it executed insanely poorly. The scene in the Lundgren movie where there's a bunch of ninjas all posing with their katanas and he just mows them all down with a machine gun is a better version of the parkour garbage from War Zone, for example.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Believe it or not but The Masters of the Universe movie is the closest thing to it.

In terms of story, yes. I'm talking art direction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Believe it or not but The Masters of the Universe movie is the closest thing to it.

IIRC Skeletor's huge throne room/hall/pit thing was one the largest sets ever made at the time so of course they keep it super dark and only use it for like five minutes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC Skeletor's huge throne room/hall/pit thing was one the largest sets ever made at the time so of course they keep it super dark and only use it for like five minutes.

Nah they used it a whole lot but the budget ran out before the director could shoot the final fight scene so he snuck back in with Dolph and the fight co=ordinator wearing the Skeletor costume and shot the fight with one camera and a single light source

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah they used it a whole lot but the budget ran out before the director could shoot the final fight scene so he snuck back in with Dolph and the fight co=ordinator wearing the Skeletor costume and shot the fight with one camera and a single light source

That's kind of badass

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

In terms of story, yes. I'm talking art direction.

Flash Gordon definitely has Kirby-esque design peppered all throughout

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Flash Gordon also benefitted from the failed Jordowosky Dune project. For example, the Mobius samurai-looking Sardukar show up as one of Ming's guard flavors.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flash Gordon owns

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Power of Pecota posted:

If nobody else had mentioned The Spirit I was going to, that's pretty much the only thing it accomplished.

A few of my friends from high school went to see The Spirit and after like ten minutes bailed and snuck into a showing of Benjamin Button instead.

Benjamin Button feels so much longer ago than 2008.

ALFbrot posted:

lmao at complaining about comic movies not being true to their source material, and then also complaining that Deadpool sucked rear end

Nice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat apparently I have to see Flash Gordon ASAP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Great soundtrack.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Peter Wyngarde.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Great soundtrack.

Hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I keep thinking the same thing, because I love the art in those pictures and the Queen song. But I just never find myself at a moment where I think: ''Well, it's been a long day, let's watch Flash Gordon!''

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

garycoleisgod posted:

My favorite thing about Highlander 2 is that in the final fight, Connor changes weapon and wardrobe in-between some shots because the final fight is just two different fights edited together, hoping nobody would notice.

People noticed.

Highlander 2 is really, really bad, but it's not even in the top half of Bad Highlander Movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkPBt_qgu8

But apparently now they're talking about remaking the first with Dave Bautista as the Kurgan and Javier Bardem as Ramirez? OK....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I keep thinking the same thing, because I love the art in those pictures and the Queen song. But I just never find myself at a moment where I think: ''Well, it's been a long day, let's watch Flash Gordon!''

If just listening to the theme song doesn't make you want to watch Flash Gordon, something is very wrong with you.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Flash Gordon is wonderful camp.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Adapted by the guy Michael Allin (Enter The Dragon), screenplay by Lorenzo Semple Jr. (Batman 60s TV show, Papillon, Never Say Never Again), directed by Mike Hodges (Get Carter), produced by Dino De Laurentiis, featuring Max Von Sydow, Brian Blessed, Timothy Dalton, Topol, Peter Wyngarde, music by Queen, production & costume design by Danilo Donati (Satyricon, Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom, Caligula), cinematography by Gil Taylor (Dr. Strangelove, A Hard Day's Night, Star Wars Ep IV) ....

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Flash Gordon is a treasure. My favorite bit of trivia is that almost all of Sam Jones' (Flash) lines in the film are some other actor's voice that they dubbed in. Apparently there was some drama between Jones and De Laurentiis so he never came back to do ADR once they finished filming.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I just found out that George Lucas, Federico Fellini, and Sergio Leone were all considered for the director’s chair. Imagine any of those Flash Gordons. Not hard to imagine Lucas’, his rejection led to Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I just found out that George Lucas, Federico Fellini, and Sergio Leone were all considered for the director’s chair. Imagine any of those Flash Gordons. Not hard to imagine Lucas’, his rejection led to Star Wars.

This is less surprising than you might think, because earlier in the 1970s, Leone had been very actively pursuing the idea of making a feature film version of another King Features character, the Phantom, getting to the point of scouting locations and beginning work on the screenplay before it all fell through. Part of this story is that he was also interested in making a Mandrake the Magician movie and then crossing them over.

Was it De Laurentiis who was convinced they were making a grand sci-fi epic for the ages with Flash Gordon and was furious at how campy it turned out?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

Flash Gordon also benefitted from the failed Jordowosky Dune project. For example, the Mobius samurai-looking Sardukar show up as one of Ming's guard flavors.
The failed Jodorowsky Dune project was also responsible for introducing Dan O'Bannon , H. R. Giger, Chris Foss and Jean Giraud to each other, so when O'Bannon wrote a space movie and needed some crazy scifi artists to design stuff for him he knew who to call. And that's how we got Alien.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it De Laurentiis who was convinced they were making a grand sci-fi epic for the ages with Flash Gordon and was furious at how campy it turned out?

Nah, he was the one pushing to make it camp. He contracted one of the Batman 1966 writers to write the screenplay, after all.
Edit: I kept googling and apparently he WAS upset that people laughed at it

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 14, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Predator "must break records to break even", apparently.

Nah, he was the one pushing to make it camp. He contracted one of the Batman 1966 writers to write the screenplay, after all.

Hmm. Maybe it was someone else, then. I remember reading that someone was sure they were making the next 2001: A Space Odyssey or something, but I'm not sure who it could have been.

Maybe I'm confusing it with another story that either De Laurentiis or the director was iffy on the idea of Queen doing the soundtrack because they "didn't like heavy metal". :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That ain't going to happen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is less surprising than you might think, because earlier in the 1970s, Leone had been very actively pursuing the idea of making a feature film version of another King Features character, the Phantom, getting to the point of scouting locations and beginning work on the screenplay before it all fell through. Part of this story is that he was also interested in making a Mandrake the Magician movie and then crossing them over.

We were so close to a Defenders of the Earth cinematic universe.

Would be a laugh if they made a Defenders movie with Star-Lord, Black Panther and Dr Strange.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stop giving Scott Mendolson clicks, all of his "articles" are little more than clickbait speculation bullshit.

AlternateAccount posted:

But apparently now they're talking about remaking the first with Dave Bautista as the Kurgan and Javier Bardem as Ramirez? OK....

I AM SO THERE GIRLFRIEND

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm. Maybe it was someone else, then. I remember reading that someone was sure they were making the next 2001: A Space Odyssey or something, but I'm not sure who it could have been.

I double checked and the screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr. complained that De Laurentiis forced him to make it a comedy:

Lorenzo Semple, Jr. posted:

Dino wanted to make Flash Gordon humorous. At the time, I thought that was a possible way to go, but, in hindsight, I realize it was a terrible mistake. We kept fiddling around with the script, trying to decide whether to be funny or realistic. That was a catastrophic thing to do, with so much money involved. I never thought the character of Flash in the script was particularly good. But there was no pressure to make it any better. Dino had a vision of a comic strip character treated in a comic style. That was silly, because Flash Gordon was never intended to be funny. The entire film got way out of control.

... but the actors reported that De Laurentiis was upset that people were laughing at it the wrong way:

Melody Anderson posted:

The director said, 'I want you and Sam to try to go for a relationship, make this as human as possible. Don't camp it up or go for laughs.' That's why the movie's so funny, because we didn't try to make it campy. In fact, I'm surprised that (people) are laughing, because we weren't out to make a funny film. In fact, De Laurentiis was very upset when he showed the film and people started to laugh, because he thought they were laughing at it and not with it. In fact, he re-did the cheerleading scene. He wanted it to be serious...with macho man out there. Play it very straight, the more you play it straight, the funnier it is. I think that's why Flash and Dale work, because of the way we played it."

Sam J. Jones posted:

The film's very campy, very adventurous. We played it straight; we couldn't have played it any other way. When the crew watched the rushes and were laughing hysterically, Dino said, 'Why are you laughing?' And then they discovered they had a comedy, that it was camp. I've heard from the screenings that some people couldn't hear the words because of all the applause and laughter... but we did play it seriously.

Apparently the British crew thought they were making a comedy and the Italian crew thought they were making a serious drama. So uh ..... both?? :shrug:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Flash Gordon/Thor: Ragnarok is a good double feature as the latter borrows some of the tone and style of the former (including sourcing some of the same Kirby designs)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

If just listening to the theme song doesn't make you want to watch Flash Gordon, something is very wrong with you.

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with my mom's Queen records. I could listen to the Flash themesong all day, together with Princes of the Universe, and wonder what fantastic story it was describing. So imagine my excitement when we received the new TV guide, and I saw Flash was going te be broadcast that week! It was a late night broadcast, but that was okay. I could just set the VCR! The fateful night finally came, and I left for bed wondering how awesome it would be.

The next day I return from school, run to the living room and start the tape. It appears I missed out on recording the opening of the film, but that's okay — I can catch up.

Okay, so even as a tenyearold, I can see this film is terribly camp. Flash, I guess, must be that protagonist I didn't catch the name of, the one with his spikey blond 90s haircut. He's trapped in a computer which looks like someone glued LED's on a refrigerator. Meanwhile, his girlfriend is attacked while walking down the street by a group of menacig blackhaired vixens on skates. ''Lesbian rollergangs!'' she exclaims, trying to run. The escape is futile. The vixens snarl, closing the distance on their prey. At that point, the tape stopped.

I didn't know what it was I saw, but I was left with the sinking feeling that I probably liked the song better. Took a couple of years before I realized I might have set the VCR wrong.

At least I got to see Highlander later that year, and it was awesome.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Today I learned that 'Flash Gordon' and 'Masters of the Universe' are two completely separate films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He-Man was done by the time I was a kid so assumed the He-Man the kids in Ghostbusters II were screaming for was a made up thing. Wasn't the show long over by then too?