Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you are connected to the internet less than once a week why would you ever subscribe to any internet based service ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The Kins posted:

Knowing Nintendo, you'd probably have to load the NES app while connected to Wi-Fi for it to successfully phone home.

And that's what I was worried about. I shouldn't have to actively access the content on a regular basis in order to keep it. If I've already paid for the service, I should be able to use it whenever I want at my own leisure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

That's not even the worst of it, apparently the nes joycons are locked behind the subwall, as in they ONLY work with the online vc app.

And it's per account!

Lol that can't even be used in handheld.

Why would you ever want to use one of those in handheld? That would be horrible to hold

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

They sure are trying to make this service as unappealing as possible huh

They've done well in making me go from 'its $20 who cares' to 'seriously gently caress off' pretty drat quickly, good job I don't play online much

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Waffle! posted:

I still like BroForce, but there's too many melee characters. Trying to fight the alien bosses with them is some top-tier bullshit.

I just beat the game last night. I found melee bro’s to be best for bosses because you just get in close and do a lot of damage. Against regular enemies I end up dying to suicide enemy explosions too much.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

And that's what I was worried about. I shouldn't have to actively access the content on a regular basis in order to keep it. If I've already paid for the service, I should be able to use it whenever I want at my own leisure.

You probably shouldn't invent problems before it's even out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FastestGunAlive posted:

I just beat the game last night. I found melee bro’s to be best for bosses because you just get in close and do a lot of damage. Against regular enemies I end up dying to suicide enemy explosions too much.

Yeah its a tradeoff. Often bosses cant deal with you getting up close and personal, so melee bros work really well for that. Melee bros tend to struggle against explosive enemies, and enemies who will still fire on you after knockback

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Andrast posted:

You probably shouldn't invent problems before it's even out

I'm not inventing anything. My first post on the subject said it sounded like bullshit and probably not true.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm telling you. Either the NES controllers will be common and easy to buy a single one from people who only want one, or rare and easy to scalp on people.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

I'm telling you. Either the NES controllers will be common and easy to buy a single one from people who only want one, or rare and easy to scalp on people.

I have a similar take! Either you will die tomorrow and cease to exist, OR you will live and continue to not be dead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay the main reason I was going to get online for, cloud saves, I'm not. I think im gonna have to pass after learning that they don't maintain your cloud saves when it expires. PS + gives you 6 months and I think Xbox just keeps theirs forever. I might take a short break on a sub every once and a while and them just deleting cloud saves is lame as hell in my opinion.

I guess it just feels like paying for a really subpar service to me.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Oxyclean posted:

What? Isn't that a pretty standard/basic feature of these sorts of online features? I imagine its so you can't just go offline before your sub ends and gently caress with the clock to have perpetual access.

Games you get through PS+ can only be played if you maintain a subscription, is anyone familiar with how often they require you to do a check-in if you want to play them offline. Pretty sure Steam requires periodic check-ins as well?

I'm pretty sure PS+ games don't require a check-in, when you download the game the system tracks the remaining time on your PS+ subscription to allow access to them offline. Messing with your system clock offline doesn't make a difference.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

So was there actually anything interesting from the direct that isn’t a port of a 5+ year old game

Huh good point. I guess Game Freak's Town? It's interesting because I mean they did make Pokèmon those are good games generally speaking. And the concept of staying in one town all the way through and building relationships with the NPCs seems like it can go places. Maybe the Mecha game if that's your scene? The Star Fox stuff? Though that's a franchise so not really wholly new.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Ok so I think the Luma exist as a network to spread spores throughout the universe as a sort of collective intelligence, with Princess Rosalina being a sort of "queen" of this hive mind.

I don't know about your overall theory but I'm glad you mentioned hives. That crown is just the royal jelly that makes the worker into a queen. Nothing more, nothing less. The Mushroom kingdom is just a big sort of bee hive/ant colony.

The Kins posted:

A couple of unfortunate details about the Online Service: The NES stuff locks you out if you go a week without logging in online (Which kinda sucks if you mostly play your Switch away from wi-fi, ie. on the train or whatever), and your cloud saves are deleted the moment your subscription expires (Which really sucks. In comparison, PS4 keeps your saves for six months after expiry in case you had a payment SNAFU, while on Xbone cloud saves are free)

EDIT: Updated to use the original news source instead of an article about it.

That seems a bit draconian. And I just played some Splatoon today and thought, "Geeze this sure is fun, I guess online isn't so expensive that I can't keep it around for this fun game." Even if you know... I didn't need it before.

What chance is there that they decide to actually change their policies if there's a big backlash?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

But why would you buy into an online service if you can't periodically access online?

This is like being mad netflix won't let you download their shows to watch whenever. They need some way to prevent people from accessing the games when their subscription lapses, so having an online check is integral. Otherwise people could log into a system, get access to games, turn system offline, and then repeat on another system.

Is it a bit overly protective of some dumb NES games? Eh sure, but the point is it's supposed to be a feature of their online service and not some one time purchase.

e: Cloud saves going way the second the subscription lapses is awful though. Even Pokemon bank has a grace period before it removes your stored data IIRC.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Connecting to the Internet weekly to play old video games completely ruins everything!!! is some real stupid childish not problem idiots are trying to make a thing in the year 2018. loving lol get a life

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PS+ games have an embedded digital cert that renews every payment and will expire the game after 6 months of being offline. They did on PS3 at least.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

eonwe posted:

okay the main reason I was going to get online for, cloud saves, I'm not. I think im gonna have to pass after learning that they don't maintain your cloud saves when it expires. PS + gives you 6 months and I think Xbox just keeps theirs forever. I might take a short break on a sub every once and a while and them just deleting cloud saves is lame as hell in my opinion.

I really don't understand where you're coming from. If you want cloudsaves then just re-up, if you missed a payment then they'll just get them again.

I take short breaks on like, Hulu where it's $12 a month, not on something that's < 2 a month. But I don't take short breaks during a time they have a show I want to see.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

PS+ games have an embedded digital cert that renews every payment and will expire the game after 6 months of being offline. They did on PS3 at least.

no Nintendo gets a pass because they make the games i like you see, even though the technology is there and easily available and Nintendo is just cocking up their online service

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I liked the nintendo direct and look forward to all the good and fun games to play.

Has anyone tried out Cities: Skylines on the yet? I'm wondering if there's any slowdown people have noticed yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I really don't understand where you're coming from. If you want cloudsaves then just re-up, if you missed a payment then they'll just get them again.

I take short breaks on like, Hulu where it's $12 a month, not on something that's < 2 a month. But I don't take short breaks during a time they have a show I want to see.

Mostly its my opposition to cloud saves being behind a paywall to begin with, and then you don't pay and they immediately get deleted.

Cithen posted:

I liked the nintendo direct and look forward to all the good and fun games to play.

Has anyone tried out Cities: Skylines on the yet? I'm wondering if there's any slowdown people have noticed yet.

the games part of the direct blew me away

all the FF games and Katamari? drat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

eonwe posted:

no Nintendo gets a pass because they make the games i like you see, even though the technology is there and easily available and Nintendo is just cocking up their online service

Because you really need those 6 months offline to finish out those NES games.

Like, I'll concede that it sucks that nintendo is doing something worse then Sony here, but again, this is an online service, how often are you going to be going weeks without being able to do a check-in, to play NES games of all things?

Like, this isn't apologism, I think the service offerings are weak overall, but this just seems like a really weird thing to get sky-is-falling levels of hung up on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Because you really need those 6 months offline to finish out those NES games.

Like, I'll concede that it sucks that nintendo is doing something worse then Sony here, but again, this is an online service, how often are you going to be going weeks without being able to do a check-in, to play NES games of all things?

Like, this isn't apologism, I think the service offerings are weak overall, but this just seems like a really weird thing to get sky-is-falling levels of hung up on.

did i say you needed it or did I just say its stupid

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also im ngl im probably going to buy Katmari on PC because im sure there will be some really good mods for it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What happens if you have a payment problem and you miss a month? Your punishment is that all your saves are gone? Seems highly suspect to me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I mean you should be paying yearly anyway, preferably with friends if you're cheap/know people that absolutely refuse to pay for online. Price for family seems absurd and wondering if there's some drawback besides having to trust people to help pay out.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

That's not even the worst of it, apparently the nes joycons are locked behind the subwall, as in they ONLY work with the online vc app.

And it's per account!

Lol that can't even be used in handheld.

Where are you getting that from the picture?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

What happens if you have a payment problem and you miss a month? Your punishment is that all your saves are gone? Seems highly suspect to me.
They're still on your Switch?

I don't understand people complaining about the cloud saves thing. If you're not paying for the service what does it matter if they're still there or not? Like what's the hypothetical situation we're getting upset about here? I can't wrap my brain around it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

American McGay posted:

I don't understand people complaining about the cloud saves thing. If you're not paying for the service what does it matter if they're still there or not? Like what's the hypothetical situation we're getting upset about here? I can't wrap my brain around it.

It's a portable device that can be lost or broken. You seriously couldn't work that out?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I mean they aren't necessarily still on your Switch, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CRAYON posted:

It's a portable device that can be lost or broken. You seriously couldn't work that out?
So after your Switch gets broken you THEN re-up your Nintendo Online subscription to somehow get your cloud saves back? That doesn't make any sense... I still don't get it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

If you are connected to the internet less than once a week why would you ever subscribe to any internet based service ever?

Doesn't matter, just something to complain about. Like not being able to use the NES controllers attached the to system. LOL FAILURE!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

if you let your sub lapse intermittently, and the switch breaks during that lapse, you're hosed
vs having some months to get a replacement and activate to redeem them

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gonna be thought police here and say that for $1.50/month your opinion about online should either be "sure I like to play games online" or "I don't really play online games so I'm not going to worry about it."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RME posted:

if you let your sub lapse intermittently, and the switch breaks during that lapse, you're hosed
vs having some months to get a replacement and activate to redeem them
That's an extreme hypothetical situation, and even then you can't fault Nintendo for it. If I accidentally let my car insurance lapse but also happen to get into a car accident during that time I wouldn't really expect my car insurance company to do anything to help me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Gonna be thought police here and say that for $1.50/month your opinion about online should either be "sure I like to play games online" or "I don't really play online games so I'm not going to worry about it."

If Nintendo is going to lock online play behind a garbage service I'm going to complain about it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SettingSun posted:

Your saves are still on your machine. They're only gone if your switch is broken or stolen in the week you didn't pay.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I guess I'm at the point in my life where silly things like Nintendo not doing online how I'd do their online don't bother me. I don't know if I'll do this online thing when it launches, but I don't view it as a loss if I don't get it. There are plenty of other things with which to fill my time. I don't feel like any company owes me anything and I don't expect any company to make things I like. Once I came around to this point of view life got much easier. I wonder what people will bitch about in three months?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

eonwe posted:

PS + gives you 6 months and I think Xbox just keeps theirs forever. I might take a short break on a sub every once and a while and them just deleting cloud saves is lame as hell in my opinion.

It's also less than half the price of PS+/Xbox Live so of course it's going to be sub-par compared to those. Annoying? Yes. Overkill for a bunch of NES games you will play for 10 minutes and forget about? Yes. But it's the first time Nintendo have done any kind of paid-online service ever. I'm sure there will be kinks to work out.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

That's an extreme hypothetical situation, and even then you can't fault Nintendo for it. If I accidentally let my car insurance lapse but also happen to get into a car accident during that time I wouldn't really expect my car insurance company to do anything to help me.

speaking as someone that will probably have an active sub during the time

its not really that hypothetical and i know people that play that way already, on other consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Say you're not gonna be playing your Switch for a while. You cancel your online subscription and just let it sit cause you're busy or you're playing something else at the time.

...And then your house floods, your Switch gets stolen or something else goes wrong with your console Suddenly all your saves are gone even though you supposedly paid Nintendo to store them. And the only way around this is if you actively keep paying for a service you're not currently using (since they won't allow us to backup our saves to an SD card, in order to make their online service seem more appealing).

Nice.

• Locked thread