Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

eonwe posted:

they got out safe

which, good, but holy loving poo poo actually leave next time instead of making people risk their lives for you

Mayor Dave posted:

Bc of the large numbers of poor people who literally do not have vehicles to evacuate in or whose vehicles aren't reliable enough to evacuate in or who don't have the money to pay for travel expenses when they're not getting paid or the ones who work for bosses demanding that they still show up

It's almost like America is awful if you're poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mayor Dave posted:

Work harder imo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mayor Dave posted:

im focusing on the tweet where they said they weren't taking it seriously and making the thinkingface emoji

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

eonwe posted:

they got out safe

which, good, but holy loving poo poo actually leave next time instead of making people risk their lives for you

dont even sweat it, the lord took care of it

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
well save u

ok ur safe now

step right this way

:thermidor:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
thank you lord emperor trump

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/breeanna_xoxo/status/1039601125664739329

She also retweeted this:

https://twitter.com/annababy_51/status/1040044925323300864

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Why did New Bern get turbofucked but it seems everywhere else is pretty chill?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Why not just seal your doors and windows

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

G*d hates the Bern. This hurricane is punishment for dirtbag leftists electing trump

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

Why not just seal your doors and windows

Not enough caulking left in stores, everyone didn't buy enough also all the houses are half caulked

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

G*d hates the Bern. This hurricane is punishment for dirtbag leftists electing trump

:shuckyes:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

youre thinking of old bern

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

looks like it's a nice densely populated flat area right along the river, also not a ritzy neighborhood based on google maps

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Agean90 posted:

Not enough caulking left in stores, everyone didn't buy enough also all the houses are half caulked

> WAIT FOR CONDITIONS TO IMPROVE

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's on a river, so flooding hit there first.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/kj8u_dave/status/1040611277943525376

https://twitter.com/veenajetti/status/1040611122968244225

We are coming! Go drown in your attic till we arrive.

Rescue map:

https://twitter.com/sujilu/status/1040610855040294914

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
and that house with the stubborn family is pretty small and right by the tracks, so i wouldn't be surprised if part of the stubbornness was due to the expense of evacuating

of course now their cars is underwater along with everything else they owned, so it would still have been a good investment

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Why do people build on flood plai— you know, never mind.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it sits at the confluence of two rivers that happened to be where the storm surge was worst

twoday
May 4, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's on a river, so flooding hit there first.

Yes.

It is right wear a major river meets the sea. As rain accumulates inland, all that water will cause flooding there, but it will go downstream and all those mountain rivers will eventually converge. The points where they meet the sea will have the most flooding. This will be going on till Tuesday or Wednesday.

New Bern is in the circle on the right. Cape Fear River is the one on the left. Wilmington is located where it meets the sea.

https://twitter.com/billkarins/status/1040513071301713920

twoday has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Sep 14, 2018

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/cityofnewbern/status/1040406138796367874

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
i heard jeffs voice twice this morning on the nyt daily podcast

he sounds great on radio when you cant visually critique what he is raving bloody murder about

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

where flag

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
no 👏new bern 👏fix 👏 old bern

twoday
May 4, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

i heard jeffs voice twice this morning on the nyt daily podcast

he sounds great on radio when you cant visually critique what he is raving bloody murder about

If you just listen to him it sounds like all hell is breaking loose and it has little correlation to what's happening. He gets most riled up while looking at maps, actually

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gibbering posted:

Why do people build on flood plai— you know, never mind.

because a synonym for flood plain is "near a river"

it turns out those things are useful, if you would like to move things from point A to point B, and also would like to not die of thirst

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

because a synonym for flood plain is "near a river"

it turns out those things are useful, if you would like to move things from point A to point B, and also would like to not die of thirst

also have food

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Al! posted:

where flag

Flag needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Whenever Flag's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Flag?

twoday
May 4, 2005

car warsh ruf BRITISH PETROLEUM

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

food, also, is good. its really easy to farm on flat fertile ground. like a floodplain.

basically there is a reason every civilization on the planet has a story about a flood that destroyed the known world. if you did not build your city next to a floodplain you got your rear end kicked and your land taken by the people who did, and you had to listen to them tell the story about how in their great-grandfather's day the gods punished Jeff's hubris by drowning his city beneath the waves

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

food, also, is good. its really easy to farm on flat fertile ground. like a floodplain.

basically there is a reason every civilization on the planet has a story about a flood that destroyed the known world. if you did not build your city next to a floodplain you got your rear end kicked and your land taken by the people who did, and you had to listen to them tell the story about how in their great-grandfather's day the gods punished Jeff's hubris by drowning his city beneath the waves

That was my point. You build next to the flood plain, or as near to the river as you can get without becoming a cautionary tale. Mostly I’m thinking of neighborhoods that pop up on pieces of land that’ve been empty since Tag was a pup and then go “but why does my house flood every year!”

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

practical question: how hard is it to kick out your roof boards if you're stuck in an attic

twoday
May 4, 2005

zegermans posted:

practical question: how hard is it to kick out your roof boards if you're stuck in an attic

About the same as kicking through a wall, I would imagine, but then harder because of the angle

So nearly impossible

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

significantly easier after the wind's ripped all the roofing shingles off

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

i like that this thread doesn’t have a lust to see people die. it’s a good thing imo

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the dream is that everyone is safe but there's still radioactive toxic hog poo poo somehow

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pead posted:

NPR had an interview with someone from new bern and the interviewer kept asking "don't you think you should leave since people will have to risk their lives to save you?" and their response was basically, lol nah, that's their job, i'm not to worried about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

i like that this thread doesn’t have a lust to see people die. it’s a good thing imo

I do in the sense of death to the confederacy/death is extremely good, but not when it affects actual people.