Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Basticle posted:

is this a troll post or do you just go Tier I hunter with poo poo tier guns every game?

I played for a hundred and fifty hours before I bought my first tier 3 Hunter and only just started using dynamite bundles and frags regularly. My favorite guns are shotguns. Tier 2s and 3s didn't really hold much appeal for me since my entire game revolved around charging up people's noses like a rabid kamikaze pitbull.

Now that I've gotten comfortable with the lever action and with opening up my game over longer ranges, I've started splashing out on big guns for the first time and I'm kinda surprised how easy it is to keep it going 'cause all pubbies do is whine about being broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I played for a hundred and fifty hours before I bought my first tier 3 Hunter and only just started using dynamite bundles and frags regularly. My favorite guns are shotguns. Tier 2s and 3s didn't really hold much appeal for me since my entire game revolved around charging up people's noses like a rabid kamikaze pitbull.

Now that I've gotten comfortable with the lever action and with opening up my game over longer ranges, I've started splashing out on big guns for the first time and I'm kinda surprised how easy it is to keep it going 'cause all pubbies do is whine about being broke.

I go loaded for bear every game because if I just have poo poo tier guns and no consumables and get killed I'm just going to go "i wish i loving brought xx gun", though when I die I go "boy I'm glad I spent all that money"

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Never spend more than 300 dollars on a hunter.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

You mean taking an automosin, a precision dolch, 2 big bundles and whatever else suits my fancy is -overkill-?

... Usually I take a Nitro instead :)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Update 2.4 is live

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=594650

quote:

Fixed an issue where explosives were instantly triggered when hitting concertina wire.

:stare: I thought that was done on purpose

Basticle fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 13, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Basticle posted:

Update 2.4 is live

I hope these new graphics settings don't allow for cheese lords to lower their settings to make bushes easier to see through...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Basticle posted:

Update 2.4 is live

Same. Concertina was so loving useful to screen off certain boss spawns that were otherwise explosive death traps, like the basement arena underneath Stillwater. That stupid loving window.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I hope these new graphics settings don't allow for cheese lords to lower their settings to make bushes easier to see through...

Seems like all of the new settings are mainly going to affect shaders and lighting effects. Also I have pretty much the exact same FPS I had with the same settings as before so I guess the only "improvements" are that you can further lower settings.

Load times however are waaaaaaay faster.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 13, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Man the nagant officer carbine sucks, I really don't get it. Though I did kill an avtomat jerk with it...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

Man the nagant officer carbine sucks, I really don't get it. Though I did kill an avtomat jerk with it...

Isn't it functionally just a faster firing, 7-shot Winfield? I thought that was the idea.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Mordja posted:

Isn't it functionally just a faster firing, 7-shot Winfield? I thought that was the idea.

If the stats screen is to be believed it fires like 10% faster and every single other stat is either identical or worse and it costs 10x as much. Also its "Large" instead of "medium" so you cant even use that to your advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vajvXwDilu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNMWkQReW0

:mediocre:

Basticle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 13, 2018

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

Seems like all of the new settings are mainly going to affect shaders and lighting effects. Also I have pretty much the exact same FPS I had with the same settings as before so I guess the only "improvements" are that you can further lower settings.

I'm actually getting worse performance. Supposedly they optimized geometry load times, but I'm getting noticeable slowdowns (80FPS -> 40FPS) for a few seconds whenever I enter a new area. Doesn't matter what my graphics settings are. Before this patch I never even realized where the area transitions were but now it's so noticable.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I'm actually getting worse performance. Supposedly they optimized geometry load times, but I'm getting noticeable slowdowns (80FPS -> 40FPS) for a few seconds whenever I enter a new area. Doesn't matter what my graphics settings are. Before this patch I never even realized where the area transitions were but now it's so noticable.

ive gotten those since i bought the game

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

ive gotten those since i bought the game

Maybe I just notice it because it's in the patch notes? I don't think so though I was getting 60+FPS consistently before.

Knifegrab posted:

I kinda like it? It's a bit too expensive unless it's changed to a medium. It beats Winfield at close range easily since it shoots as fast as reasonable fanning usage.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Played around with the Sparks and the Mosin for the first time today. Kind of prefer the Sparks over the Mosin and the Vet over the Mosin. Dunno what the point of the Mosin is, really, aside from the penetration of long ammo.

I really like the Vet, but I've been using a the mosin a lot more. The mosin just gives me a lot more ability to engage at any distance. If I see someone slowly crouch walking far away I can get a headshot and kill which might not be possible with the Vet. The large ammo really fucks people up at closer ranges too. Additionally, large ammo shoots through trees. Even fairly large trees. I get a lot of kills by just shooting someone behind a tree after they start healing from the first gently caress you mosin shot.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Maybe I just notice it because it's in the patch notes? I don't think so though I was getting 60+FPS consistently before.

I kinda like it? It's a bit too expensive unless it's changed to a medium. It beats Winfield at close range easily since it shoots as fast as reasonable fanning usage.

I really like the Vet, but I've been using a the mosin a lot more. The mosin just gives me a lot more ability to engage at any distance. If I see someone slowly crouch walking far away I can get a headshot and kill which might not be possible with the Vet. The large ammo really fucks people up at closer ranges too. Additionally, large ammo shoots through trees. Even fairly large trees. I get a lot of kills by just shooting someone behind a tree after they start healing from the first gently caress you mosin shot.

I find the Mosin to be frustratingly inaccurate at close to medium range and would rather take a Veterli or Winfield any day, but the bullet penetration is a good point I hadnt considered.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 14, 2018

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
It seems to me that the Mosin is pretty accurate at least as much as the karabiner. The difference is the karabiner sites are easier to aim. The Mosin fore site is too thin especially since rear site is so open.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Basticle posted:

I find the Mosin to be frustratingly inaccurate at close to medium range and would rather take a Veterli or Winfield any day, but the bullet penetration is a good point I hadnt considered.

To be fair, you can get similar results with an uppercut, so if you want to do some tree shootin' then you can still use a Veterli main.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I really don't get the people who buy tier 3s, spend all their money and then sit on a clue in a corner of the map for twenty minutes.

Ok, great job you killed me, I hope you enjoyed staring at a bush for half an hour. Not even new players, dudes with multiple prestige levels.

Boring as gently caress.

Also I just tried the Dolch with Bulletgrubber and that reload animation is slick as gently caress.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I really don't get the people who buy tier 3s, spend all their money and then sit on a clue in a corner of the map for twenty minutes.

Ok, great job you killed me, I hope you enjoyed staring at a bush for half an hour. Not even new players, dudes with multiple prestige levels.

Boring as gently caress.

Also I just tried the Dolch with Bulletgrubber and that reload animation is slick as gently caress.

It happens to me so often I just assume its people who love being assholes and just killing as many people as possible.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

^^^ You crafty lady, I saw that ninja edit which is what i was responding to

I mean its a game about killing other people and taking bounties. Sounds like they did the first part well and you are angry they did it well.

To me this game is about killing other hunters first and taking bounties last, I will do literally whatever it takes to kill other hunters.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm not angry, just confused as to how anyone could see it as fun. I only play that way when I know I'm the underdog. It isn't even like they heard me coming and hunkered down, they sat at Fish and Sons for at least a solid fifteen minutes and even then, they almost missed the kill by waiting until I was running off again. They initiated with a bundle that plopped into the water. :allears:

Meanwhile, in the game before that, four teams converged on the bounty as the fifth banished. Fights from every direction, multiple res/downs, shadows running in and out of the fog, NPCs going nuts.

Round after that, we got pinched between two teams going for the extract and it was a great fight even though we lost.

Game always feels best when you've actively pursuing objectives and fights, moving around. :shrug:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not angry, just confused as to how anyone could see it as fun. I only play that way when I know I'm the underdog. It isn't even like they heard me coming and hunkered down, they sat at Fish and Sons for at least a solid fifteen minutes and even then, they almost missed the kill by waiting until I was running off again. They initiated with a bundle that plopped into the water. :allears:

Meanwhile, in the game before that, four teams converged on the bounty as the fifth banished. Fights from every direction, multiple res/downs, shadows running in and out of the fog, NPCs going nuts.

Round after that, we got pinched between two teams going for the extract and it was a great fight even though we lost.

Game always feels best when you've actively pursuing objectives and fights, moving around. :shrug:

yeah, same

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a definite difference between kills at any cost and styles of play that aren't really any fun for killer or killee. You definitely get some of the latter in Hunt and similar games where yeah that guy killed you but unless they've got a real stalking fetish it's hard to understand how they enjoyed doing it. Obviously not every kill is going to a pulse pounding fire fight between three teams that you barely win, but five minutes of "Alright there's probably nobody here" and then you die from a sniper shot you never even had a chance to do anything about kinda sucks the fun out of things.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Every so often I happen to be in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time to catch someone so off-guard that the only way they survive is if I miss. I feel bad about that.

It's way more entertaining when you gently caress up the ambush and everything goes sideways fast. Like when you miss a concertina bomb from 10 feet away because you're an idiot but the other team panics instead of just killing you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I'm never going to pass up the Silenced Nagant headshot from 100 feet if I can get it, and there's definitely some satisfaction in landing it, but it's not how I'd prefer that poo poo go down.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ya'll are weird getting the perfect ambush is hella satisfying. Sneaking up on an avtomat nerd and one shotting him with my nagant before he even knows whats what is literally the best thing. Outplaying people who have objectively better weapons than you is half the fun.

In a straight fire fight it is almost impossible to beat an avtomat unless you get lucky or they are really really bad. You have to play to positioning/ambushing/other tactics other than just a sloppy fight.

Maybe I just have a hate boner for people who purchase the avtomat, because I do agree that long drawn out engagements are fun, but because the avtomat exists, I can never be sure when I will run into one so why would I ever risk a long engagement?

Dying to avtomats is almost never fun. I get killed all the time where I think "They outplayed me", or "they deserved that kill". That's never the case with the avtomat, they just spammed that garbage.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Maybe I just have a hate boner for people who purchase the avtomat, because I do agree that long drawn out engagements are fun, but because the avtomat exists, I can never be sure when I will run into one so why would I ever risk a long engagement?

Dying to avtomats is almost never fun. I get killed all the time where I think "They outplayed me", or "they deserved that kill". That's never the case with the avtomat, they just spammed that garbage.

Knifegrab posted:

Sounds like they did the first part well and you are angry they did it well.

To me this game is about killing other hunters first and taking bounties last, I will do literally whatever it takes to kill other hunters.

:thunk:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Except using the avtomat god damnit :negative:

I kinda wish the dolche didn't exist either. But other than using those garbage guns, everything else is permissable!

Yes my opinions are bad and dumb but they're mine and I cherish them!

Orv
May 4, 2011
We've all known that for years Knifegrab.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I don't think about you at all

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
This update did amazing things for my load times and steadied my FPS a great deal, but drat, they bled a lot of players last month on the Steam charts. :ohdear:

This game doesn't get nearly the love it deserves. I wish it was less resource hungry so a wider audience could play.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This update did amazing things for my load times and steadied my FPS a great deal, but drat, they bled a lot of players last month on the Steam charts. :ohdear:

This game doesn't get nearly the love it deserves. I wish it was less resource hungry so a wider audience could play.

I just wish they would market it at all. If not for the free weekend a friend told me about I would have never heard about this game. Its never appeared anywhere for me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I only knew about it because one of my friends bought it when it first hit EA and played it like once a month until a bunch of us bought it during the free weekend.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

They've done a piss poor job marketing the game so far and it shows - hopefully they manage to pick things up once EA draws towards a close, if not sooner.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

tried out the explosive crossbow for the first time (spoiler: its terrible)

but it has it's accidental uses https://streamable.com/8vm7r :v:

Basticle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 15, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I had a fun game with the explosive bow earlier. We knocked down a boss, and then got attacked by a team. One guy kept peeking my door, and every time he did I shot him with the bow. After five hits, he stopped. Eventually he and his partner pushed in, got double-splashed by the bow, and then mowed down by the Dolch charging straight at me.

As we were extracting, I shot at some random team of tier ones chasing after us, hit both, and watched them spin around and go running off in different directions. :allears:

The shot bow actually kills people when you hit them, though. That one is actually pretty nasty.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The explosive bolt has such a rediculous arc because of how heavy it is you cant realistically hit anything past like 20 feet because you wont be able to see your target since the crossbow model is blocking your view.

The shotbolt has a short practical range just because of how much slower the velocity is, you cant realisticly hit moving targets. But oh man if you catch someone unawares with it :getin:

When you a 6 prestige poo poo talking solo and you miss with your bayonet like 3 or 4 times https://streamable.com/c7l3w

sometimes this game is just :negative: https://streamable.com/8ghgt

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 19, 2018

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
The latest dev stream just went up on Youtube and they teased a new weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kds3rvbiaZs&t=4393s

It's a spear that STABS DYNAMITE into people.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Opentarget posted:

The latest dev stream just went up on Youtube and they teased a new weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kds3rvbiaZs&t=4393s

It's a spear that STABS DYNAMITE into people.

thats pretty loving metal :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
I'd like to pretend that this was a recent patch feature: Dogs will now play catch with you