Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Golden Bee posted:

Michael Tarver was once praised as “being able to make a T with his arms, which is pretty intimidating”.

Didn't Tarver german suplex a guy with downs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

No that was el patron

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Actually despite his neurological history Daniel Bryan is still of reasonably normal intelligence levels

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beer_Suitcase posted:

He nearly killed Gregory Iron, the wrestler with cerebral palsy. Typically I'd be miffed you made that mistake but whatever.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think the only thing I remember about Tarver is that he was always the first guy the camera would find when Nexus was about to do their beatdowns. That was pretty neat with his mask and all

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tarver was at King of Trios a few weeks ago alongside Darren Young and PJ Black and I give him credit for being the most into it.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Has Darren Young been working much since he was let go? I figured he was just training guys at his school and laying low since I hadn’t heard anything about him

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I remember the night of the first beatdown. Wade showed up on the ramp all smug, and the first person they cut to was Tarver just standing still in his mask and he looked like a straight killer

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Question: in general, after Nash and Hall went to WCW in 96, was there ever any discussion of Shawn Michaels going down south? I’d imagine Bischoff would have signed him in a heartbeat to gently caress with Vince, but obviously that never happened. Anybody that was in the loop have any details they could add to this?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Question: in general, after Nash and Hall went to WCW in 96, was there ever any discussion of Shawn Michaels going down south? I’d imagine Bischoff would have signed him in a heartbeat to gently caress with Vince, but obviously that never happened. Anybody that was in the loop have any details they could add to this?

There's a genuine pic from the following months of Shawn in an nWo shirt, and what consisted of the web speculators lost their poo poo. I think his deal might have been up in '97 before he signed an extension?

MRT would have a better idea about the contract stuff. I'll say this, nWo Wolfpac would have happened sooner if he had jumped, I think. Nash has claimed a few times him and Hogan had major heat., and it's not hard to believe.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 13, 2018

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

According to Dave back in the day, in '99 there was at least some discussion within WWF of letting Michaels go to WCW on the assumption that he would cause so many problems that it would help WWF in the long run.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How do you search for things on the WWE network? I wanted to check out the beginnings of Crow Sting but that brought up nothing and then I wanted to check out Cicople unmasking to reveal Dean Malenko for a match against Jericho but that was a hard search as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The only metadata they have seems to be about who’s in what match, nothing on specific angles or gimmick changes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can someone explain the specific origin of the Falcon Arrow/"He did the deal" thing from PWG?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Can someone explain the specific origin of the Falcon Arrow/"He did the deal" thing from PWG?

the falcon arrow is an overused indy move

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Gaz-L posted:

As explained by Chris Hero (around 2.30), it came from Gran Akuma misunderstanding Mitch Ryder's arm motions when describing having sex with a woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1J9OhVd0w

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a question: Who would be the smartest, (i.e. most intelligent, or most educated), wrestler or ex wrestler? Are there any wrestlers that completed Medical, or Legal degrees post wrestling career? Any wrestlers that stand out for being very clever, or well read? Any wrestlers that speak some ungodly amount of languages, (surely there have to be at least a couple of wrestlers taht can speak English, Japanese and Spanish fluently)?

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Chris Nowitski with his Harvard degree, and post wrestling career in concussion research, and maybe Cesaro for speaking 5(?) languages at a fluent level.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Xavier Woods has a PhD in psychology or somesuch

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Xavier Woods has a PhD in educational psychology which he completed recently.

Edit: ha, yep!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking 5 languages is actually not that rare for European guys. A lot of the European hockey players do.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh yeah, I'd say one of the more surprising fields a pro wrestler has worked in is Stu Bennett / Wade Barrett who has a degree in marine biology.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question: Who would be the smartest, (i.e. most intelligent, or most educated), wrestler or ex wrestler? Are there any wrestlers that completed Medical, or Legal degrees post wrestling career? Any wrestlers that stand out for being very clever, or well read? Any wrestlers that speak some ungodly amount of languages, (surely there have to be at least a couple of wrestlers taht can speak English, Japanese and Spanish fluently)?

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Chris Nowitski with his Harvard degree, and post wrestling career in concussion research, and maybe Cesaro for speaking 5(?) languages at a fluent level.

In addition to those mentioned, David Otunga has a Harvard law degree and worked at Sidley Austin, a pretty prestigious law firm in Chicago, but that was pre-wrestling career.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bob holly

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Sam Sheppard, who many believe inspired the TV series The Fugitive, was a neurosurgeon who later became a professional wrestler. He innovated the mandible claw which Mankind later used.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

David Otunga has a law degree from Harvard. But he continues to work for WWE, so probably not actually very smart.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Rock got his degree at Jabroni Tech at the corner of Know Your Roll Road and Shut Your Mouth Blvd.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Veda Scott graduated from law school

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Raven was always supposed to have a massive IQ. Who knows if true.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The most academically accomplished wrestler in history is undoubtedly John Bonica, a man who wrestled to pay his way through college, and is credited as the founder of pain management as an interdisciplinary field of medicine. And yes, those two facts are closely related. And he wasn't a jobber, either; he wrestled a lot of stars in the 40s and held the NWA LHW title at one point.

https://twitter.com/mattfarmer93/status/949528407796211712

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 14, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

The Rock got his degree at Jabroni Tech at the corner of Know Your Roll Road and Shut Your Mouth Blvd.

He actually did finish his degree! In criminology. After he injured himself while he was Russ Maryland's backup at The U he figured he should finish his education. Not a bad plan B, but his Plan C of becoming a massive wrestling and movie star was better, IMO.

Here's a few:

Evan Bourne has a degree in marketing and was VP of marketing at a Mialbox company in St.Louis.

Dolph Ziggler has a double degree in pre-law and political science.

Kane has a degree in English Literature.

Jim Duggan has a degree in plant biology.

and finally, in a development that makes sense given his approach to wrestling, Nash has a degree in Psychology with a minor in educational philosophy.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Von Linus posted:

Raven was always supposed to have a massive IQ. Who knows if true.

He's a member of MENSA, so there's that at least.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

are you guys all forgetting Lanny Poffo on purpose? the man is a genius!!!!!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aku posted:

He's a member of MENSA, so there's that at least.

Oh so he’s dumb as gently caress

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

are you guys all forgetting Lanny Poffo on purpose? the man is a genius!!!!!!!

This man made hundreds of thousands of dollars doing nothing! TV executives hate him!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Uhh MsCheif is a legit microbiologist.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nystral posted:

Uhh MsCheif is a legit microbiologist.

Marrying Michael Elgin probably disqualifies you from the smartest wrestler stakes tbh

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Marrying Michael Elgin probably disqualifies you from the smartest wrestler stakes tbh

Unless she's using the marriage to study rare microorganisms that can only be found on Elgin's body, say, ones that somehow cause hair loss and brain worms at the same time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
D-Lo Brown was an accountant before getting into wrestling.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jim Duggan has a degree in plant biology.

Hacksaw is a great person and a very intelligent man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Michaels threatened to quit and go to WCW a few times between 96 and 2000. It was never really close to happening, but it was something he tried to use for leverage when he was feeling cranky.