Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'm trying to draft a resistance to a Motion to Suppress that alleges that USING the location data you gathered from a GPS device placed pursuant to a warrant by sharing it with another agency is either a warrant that is written too broadly or constitutes a general warrant.

Apparently the drug task force is supposed to just gather data and write a report as the guy sells drugs instead of, you know, arresting him in the act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Bigly. Colloquially known as the ""dessert generation", they are the very numerous descendants of the war generation. Enjoying unprecedented wealth after oil and 80s inflation obliterating most debt as well as getting mostly free educations, they voted in right wing government after right wing government to reduce taxes, eliminate inheritance tax (for them, effectively), bloated housing prices to obscene levels, reducing their pension age while increasing ours and strangled young housebuyers by instituting capital requrements for housing loans locking a good portion of millennials out of the market. Now, they've even successfully sold our infinite water power to europe to extract more wealth from our loving natural resources.

Nowadays they are whining about immigrants and not having grandkids. Fuckers. While my generation is nowhere remotely as screwed here as in the US, the massive gulf in opportunities, starting wealth and political power is staggeringly huge. I just hope the inheritance tax doesn't come back until I've inherited, because the boomers croaking will for 90% of the country be the single largest relative transfer of wealth in our history.

God drat, it's like looking in a mirror. We need to bring the phrase "dessert generation" over here.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Well no, the Swedes did not fight at all. I am thinking specifically of the Quisling regime, the lightning 2-month conquest of Norway, and the rapid integration of the country into the Nazi regime as an occupied state and economic vassal.

Lasted longer than France :colbert:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Norway also had a smaller population than the number of people Germany had under arms in 1939/1940 and relative to population had the greatest ratio of occupiers/occupied in Europe. Right up until April 1945 Hitler kept more than 200,000 troops in Norway.

Hey yeah, that too. We even sabotaged the german nuclear weapons program. Might not have worked anyway, but we did the job.

Yeah that whole thing. Can't believe good old Kirk Douglass stopped the nazis.

evilweasel posted:

on the other hand you had a guy who was such a collaborationist traitor his name has become a word meaning that, which is a neat bit of trivia

Neat bit of trivia? Not sure what you think you're implying, but here's a neat bit of trivia: "quisling" didn't become a thing because the dude was a traitor. I mean, he was, but so was every other dime-a-dozen nazi collaborator of that era. There were thousands of quislings spread all across the world, including in Britain and in the US, but they were a lot less successful. Quisling himself wanted very badly to be the next Hitler, and did his damndest from 1933 upwards to mirror his history. I think it's fair to say he was about as much of a betrayer of his country as Hitler was, as their situations were very comparable - with the notable exception of Quislings staggering incompetence and Norway not having any of his bullshit.

No, Quisling wasn't really remarkable because of his actions, he's become a household name as a result of the reaction to it. His name was a meme for "traitor" as a part of political discourse from the early thirties and really took off once he triad and of course failed at a coup (blame The Times, total fake news). However, in response to his crap Norway actually suspended due process and the rule of law (in practice) and convicted him of treason using military statutes at the end of the war in a decision that's still fairly hotly criticized. Just because everyone had such a hate-on for that motherfucker that we couldn't stand to see him live, supreme justices included.

Quisling was executed by firing squad, he got shot in the chest 8 times with high calible bullets before the commander walked up and blew Quisling's brains out with his sidearm just to make damned sure. Every man volunteered.

I think the closest living guy he reminds me of is... Trump. Maybe his name will carry a different meaning in the future as well.

yronic heroism posted:

I mean more in a cultural sense than demographic, though these are linked and I guess most places have their share of lovely old people.

Makes sense. Do you have a lot of young chuds these days like the US and most European countries I read about?

Eh, I don't know. I don't really hang out with right-wingers much, got my share of that in Uni. But yeah, there are loads of useful idiots that have stockholm syndrome logic'd their way into servility, though I don't really have a clue as to what proportion of society that is anymore. Can't base that on internet discourse anyway.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe posted:

God drat, it's like looking in a mirror. We need to bring the phrase "dessert generation" over here.

Loads of differences too though. Obviously, we started out way more left wing than you did and the social framwork is different, as is the quality and quantity of the welfare state. Norwegian millennials are not struggling even nearly as much as the US is, and I honestly feel terrible for you all almost every day. I really wish you could have had what I did. Then again, you'd have had to be norwegian which is like the dictionary opposite of cool.

By the way, millennials are the "frosting generation" according to the boomers, superficial, tasteless and flashy (what with our snapchats and tinders) and without value on our own. Spiteful old assholes, aren't they.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There is no way the boomers came up with the frosting generation insult because that's a pretty drat clever one

Also re gps warrants you just leave your phone at home when out committing crimes this isn't hard folks

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

No, Quisling wasn't really remarkable because of his actions, he's become a household name as a result of the reaction to it. His name was a meme for "traitor" as a part of political discourse from the early thirties and really took off once he triad and of course failed at a coup (blame The Times, total fake news). However, in response to his crap Norway actually suspended due process and the rule of law (in practice) and convicted him of treason using military statutes at the end of the war in a decision that's still fairly hotly criticized. Just because everyone had such a hate-on for that motherfucker that we couldn't stand to see him live, supreme justices included.

Quisling was executed by firing squad, he got shot in the chest 8 times with high calible bullets before the commander walked up and blew Quisling's brains out with his sidearm just to make damned sure. Every man volunteered.

I wish this thread was more about Norway and less about the practice of law

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Loads of differences too though. Obviously, we started out way more left wing than you did and the social framwork is different, as is the quality and quantity of the welfare state. Norwegian millennials are not struggling even nearly as much as the US is, and I honestly feel terrible for you all almost every day. I really wish you could have had what I did. Then again, you'd have had to be norwegian which is like the dictionary opposite of cool.

By the way, millennials are the "frosting generation" according to the boomers, superficial, tasteless and flashy (what with our snapchats and tinders) and without value on our own. Spiteful old assholes, aren't they.

What about those of us who are superficial, tasteless, without value on our own, but are brooding instead of flashy?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Was their name something like Herbert Moon IV?

Close but not quite.

The time there was... educational.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Legal clinic fun today. Two different evictions that were not done proper, so we get to file suits for three month’s rent and attorney fees for each.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
That'll teach those money-grubbin landlords to kick those blameless, angelic people out of their homes for stupid stuff like "not paying rent."!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

That'll teach those money-grubbin landlords to kick those blameless, angelic people out of their homes for stupid stuff like "not paying rent."!!

Well, in one case we're talking about an indigent senior citizen veteran who was evicted for cause but not properly - they threw his stuff out and he lost everything as a result.

In the other case, we're talking about another senior veteran with stage 4 lung cancer that was paying rent, but his landlord just randomly called monday and left him a voicemail saying "you need to be out by wednesday" with nothing else. Not at all a proper eviction, and even though he has a place to live it's still something worth pursuing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

One time I stayed at a nightmare Airbnb with all sorts of issues, but the worst was when the owner told us the bathroom in our unit wasn't working, but we could use the bathroom in a nearby unit occupied by an elderly tenant (actual tenant, not Airbnb bullshit). The units weren't even connected, it was basically an elderly person living in a very small house on the same large piece of property as the lovely Airbnb units. Obviously, we did not use the tenant's bathroom.

Anyway, that guy springs to mind whenever I hear something about landlords.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm always incredibly tempted to not leave an Airbnb and force a multi month eviction process

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I'm always incredibly tempted to not leave an Airbnb and force a multi month eviction process

I'd just evict you with a crowbar if I were to host an airbnb tbh

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'd just evict you with a crowbar if I were to host an airbnb tbh

Whoa forcible eviction isn't allowed!

My dad just started the stupidest eviction of all time, he leased to someone starting in October.
Then told them they could move in mid month of sept and handed them the keys before labor day. They moved in instantly while the other guy was moving out.
He also lost the lease and their phone # and is mad they moved in early so is evicting and I'm asking over and over what the hell he's doing

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Can now complete beat sabers $100 bills on single blade expert mode.

And did some jury selection and poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That interview went poorly. When I set it up (job specified entry level) I specified that I make 70k (technically I make 35/hr on a job that can end any second but they don't need to know that) and didn't want to come out to the interview if compensation wasn't in line with that.

Halfway through the awkward interview the guy (solo but has 3 part time new attys under him) said he knew about my compensation interest but hired based on direct experience and in a role he wanted to grow, and that he would of course pay a living salary seeing as I was married (wedding ring)

Is this as weird as it sounds because I thought it was ridiculous to still play cagey person about oh it's pay by experience when it's a loving entry level position so you should at least have a god drat baseline

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

That interview went poorly. When I set it up (job specified entry level) I specified that I make 70k (technically I make 35/hr on a job that can end any second but they don't need to know that) and didn't want to come out to the interview if compensation wasn't in line with that.

Halfway through the awkward interview the guy (solo but has 3 part time new attys under him) said he knew about my compensation interest but hired based on direct experience and in a role he wanted to grow, and that he would of course pay a living salary seeing as I was married (wedding ring)

Is this as weird as it sounds because I thought it was ridiculous to still play cagey person about oh it's pay by experience when it's a loving entry level position so you should at least have a god drat baseline

It's because he's going to offer you poo poo. The 1099 place was cagey as gently caress about benefits and throughout discussion post $20/1099 reveal they still never once would commit to a specific dollar amount raise when I was licensed nor explain in any detail what the merit bonuses they were offering me entailed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

I don't want to work for a lawyer who mentions a goddamn protected class in the interview.
Except the chosen people, of course

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Got an interview for a grad lawyer position. I know I should be excited and happy but I feel like going to law school was a huge mistake. I mean, more than usual. Worst case scenario I stick it out for a year and gtfo, if I even get it which I might not, right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I'm just busting your balls, although HDD might enjoy hearing about veterans being evicted.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

I'm just busting your balls, although HDD might enjoy hearing about veterans being evicted.

Sure, but this is a story of veterans not being evicted, which will only make him sad.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hope all get evicted and move into my commune.

Also I'm bouncing evictions to baby lawyers. I don't need to be in jv court.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer_is_suspended_for_flashing_gun_at_deposition_other_appalling_behavior

guy who got suspended for flashing his gun at a deponent posted:

I always carry a gun because I’m an attorney and people don’t like me.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I thought it was that crazy Texas lawyer who once whipped out a knife and started running around and he threatens people on Facebook. Was disappointed when it wasn’t.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess Norway technically fought for a bit.

I mean, aside from the resistance stuff, they also sank this heavy cruiser with like half century old guns/torpedoes - I think the first time the Germans lost a ship that big.That's pretty good going imo.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

feedmegin posted:

I mean, aside from the resistance stuff, they also sank this heavy cruiser with like half century old guns/torpedoes - I think the first time the Germans lost a ship that big.That's pretty good going imo.

Sure, we never much liked forrin' boats.But my personal favourite might be The Battle of Hegra Fortress where 250 volunteer soldiers held out against overwhelming german strength and only lost like 6 guys to the german's 200. But we gotta stop talking about this now, Soothing Vapors is gonna get depressed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
We had a judge flash a gun at her own loving bailiff

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CaptainScraps posted:

We had a judge flash a gun at her own loving bailiff

See this is what we need more of. Bugfuck crazy US legal shenanigans. Did you know that you guys practice something called a "deposition". It's the weirdest thing, it's where you don't allow a judge to watch a witness lie in real time but instead have lawyers there to badger the hell out of witnesses and then write down that witness's fuckups. It's amazing.

You also have "jury selection" which is just... :psyduck:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My buddy got out of jury duty this week and it was possible he could have been on the laquan McDonald case, and since he was a white dude he would have made it through jury selection I bet

Too bad he needs money and has to work because he could have had a lot of fun on that case

I remembered another phrase in my interview yesterday, the atty was looking for someone he could "afford to grow with". I absolutely need to leave the law.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

I absolutely need to leave the law.

Yeah. I'm thinking of getting into farming. Girlfriend's dad owns a huge farm we could take over eventually. Live off the land.

I was recently made aware of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YWJcqISKJQ

And this is now everything I know about american trials.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I saw a license plate this morning that said "DV 4KDS" and I laughed because I'm broken.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

See this is what we need more of. Bugfuck crazy US legal shenanigans. Did you know that you guys practice something called a "deposition". It's the weirdest thing, it's where you don't allow a judge to watch a witness lie in real time but instead have lawyers there to badger the hell out of witnesses and then write down that witness's fuckups. It's amazing.

Jury selection owns. I acted as a voir dire consultant this year and I'm pretty sure I'm the reason why the guy won his custody case.

"No single mothers. No one who knows how a divorce case works. We want deadbeat dads and people without kids."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i forget who works at skadden itt, but your firm is having a real bad morning

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1040626820801064961

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Jurist-who-admitted-to-sexting-and-popping-pills-11273782.php

JP Court judge was sexting her bailiff and using bailiff to get her drugs, which she used while presiding over drug cases

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

mastershakeman posted:

I remembered another phrase in my interview yesterday, the atty was looking for someone he could "afford to grow with". I absolutely need to leave the law.

One of my favorites: for a while, we were not doing a very good job of letting associates know that they realistically would not be making partner. We also had an issue with staff attorneys and the like hanging around for a long time after it was clear that they were pretty much dead in the water. Essentially, no one wanted to tell them, and just sort of hoped that they would get the (entirely unstated) message and voluntarily leave on their own. Of course, they often didn't. Because they often did not have real options, and certainly nothing that paid a healthy six figures.

So the managing partner once told me: "We need to be better about 'counseling people out of the firm.'"

You mean firing people dude. Shitcanning them. Leaving them and their children without an income. Termination. Just loving say it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I interviewed at the capital appeals place a few months ago. The guy told me hit him up again when I’m licensed. I did so and he just responded declining me for any position. I don’t see why he couldn’t have said that months ago instead of kicking me in the nuts again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

One of my favorites: for a while, we were not doing a very good job of letting associates know that they realistically would not be making partner. We also had an issue with staff attorneys and the like hanging around for a long time after it was clear that they were pretty much dead in the water. Essentially, no one wanted to tell them, and just sort of hoped that they would get the (entirely unstated) message and voluntarily leave on their own. Of course, they often didn't. Because they often did not have real options, and certainly nothing that paid a healthy six figures.

So the managing partner once told me: "We need to be better about 'counseling people out of the firm.'"

You mean firing people dude. Shitcanning them. Leaving them and their children without an income. Termination. Just loving say it.

Sounds about right. I think that's happening to my friend, he's been at a firm for ten years now and still seems to have no hope of becoming partner because he hasn't been able to generate his own clients. He talks a lot about going in house but wouldn't be able to afford his (well, his wife's, he's at work all the time) house+lifestyle

Mr. Nice! posted:

I interviewed at the capital appeals place a few months ago. The guy told me hit him up again when I’m licensed. I did so and he just responded declining me for any position. I don’t see why he couldn’t have said that months ago instead of kicking me in the nuts again.

He didn't think you'd ever follow up. Most people say niceties and hope you'll disappear, like the whole keeping a resume on file which is frankly an insult.

I encourage you to keep a spreadsheet of your interviews (who, where, when, how it felt, result). Im gonna work on creating one so I can have numbers to throw in family's face when they tell me interviewing is good practice and I just want to yell how many dozen do I need to do

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 14, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

yeah, i mean i'd like to make partner but i ain't giving up my senior associate salary just because i'm not until i have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

Sounds about right. I think that's happening to my friend, he's been at a firm for ten years now and still seems to have no hope of becoming partner because he hasn't been able to generate his own clients. He talks a lot about going in house but wouldn't be able to afford his (well, his wife's, he's at work all the time) house+lifestyle

He didn't think you'd ever follow up. Most people say niceties and hope you'll disappear, like the whole keeping a resume on file which is frankly an insult.

I encourage you to keep a spreadsheet of your interviews (who, where, when, how it felt, result). Im gonna work on creating one so I can have numbers to throw in family's face when they tell me interviewing is good practice and I just want to yell how many dozen do I need to do

I’m at 25 applications and half as many interviews.