Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, someone needs to tell this woman that someone who treats people they have power over like poo poo is not a good person.

The comments section on that one are actually good. Especially the other women telling their stories.

Yawgmoth posted:

as a man there is exactly zero places/things that are inappropriate for me to pee on

One of my friends received a public urination charge when caught pissing on the wall of a church. Ironically he is the only religious person I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's not for the monsters who know they're doing something wrong. It's for all the men who don't.

Ever watch a guy at a party get a woman up against a wall with his arm blocking her escape and totally ignore how uncomfortable she is? It's for them.

Ever seen a guy approach a total stranger and start telling her that if only she wore her hair longer she'd be so much more attractive and get insulted and indignant when she tells him to please leave her alone? It's for them.

Ever see a guy buy a woman drink after drink at a bar until she's far beyond the point of giving or refusing consent? It's for them.

And still men get so loving butthurt over the idea that they can't do whatever they want to women and that women don't exist merely for their pleasure because male fragility is probably the only thing in this world worse than toxic masculinity.

explaining the concept of consent to this guy a fourth or fifth time isn't accomplishing anything because the problem isn't that he's just never been taught to distinguish enthusiasm from terror or don't understand that saying deliberately obnoxious poo poo to strangers is obnoxious, it's that not doing whatever he wants to do isn't convenient for him and therefore he does not comprehend it and never will. he reacts to the umpteenth toothless lecture on tolerance and consent with exasperation for the same reason anyone does to being droned at about poo poo they don't care about and have decided it's actively against their interests to listen to.

If you've ever interacted with these guys socially their after-the-fact claims of ignorance are incredibly obviously in bad faith and meant to snow the Mr. Van Driessens of the world, they know exactly what they're doing and will make an effort to not get caught, but when they do they know they can act befuddled and indignant and a bunch of dopes will persuade themselves the serial rape was just all a big silly misunderstanding. you gotta get those dudes a superego in grade school or they're just like this, forever.

Blade Runner posted:

I had consent stuff in high school and in the military and then also in college, and while I wasn't about to like protest it or anything, I guess it always seemed odd to me since it was going over the most basic poo poo and I couldn't imagine it would have any effect

I can't imagine that anyone who doesn't think that raping is a monstrous thing to do or who would loudly and retardedly insist that drunken women can consent will be convinced by it, and if someone is not already a rapist nothing in it is really worth going over

It just ends up feeling like a whole theater thing so they can say "well we TOLD them not to do it, can't blame us" when something happens and they fail to respond well

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 14, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Is my (male) boss just joking around or do I (female) need to take this situation more seriously?

Why no ages? I'm guessing she's 23 and he's 47. She's dumb, and her boss is truly annoyed she "socializes" all the time

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

"love you" isn't him bring all like love you I wanna inseminate you with 10 babies.

It's more along the lines of "I just criticized you and hate confrontation and don't want you to be all worried about it so I still think you are a good worker"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what we should do is, when a male turns 17, he's locked in a room with a cadre of mean girls and has to attempt to hit on one of them. they are free to respond as they wish, but the goal is to make every man realize he isn't what the media told him he is.

It would be more efficient to just castrate them at birth.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

tater_salad posted:

"love you" isn't him bring all like love you I wanna inseminate you with 10 babies.

It's more along the lines of "I just criticized you and hate confrontation and don't want you to be all worried about it so I still think you are a good worker"

It's passive aggression 100% and she's too young or dumb to see it.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

explaining the concept of consent to this guy a fourth or fifth time isn't accomplishing anything because the problem isn't that he's just never been taught to distinguish enthusiasm from terror or don't understand that saying deliberately obnoxious poo poo to strangers is obnoxious, it's that not doing whatever he wants to do isn't convenient for him and therefore he does not comprehend it and never will. he reacts to the umpteenth toothless lecture on tolerance and consent with exasperation for the same reason anyone does to being droned at about poo poo they don't care about and have decided it's actively against their interests to listen to.

If you've ever interacted with these guys socially their after-the-fact claims of ignorance are incredibly obviously in bad faith and meant to snow the Mr. Van Driessens of the world, they know exactly what they're doing and will make an effort to not get caught, but when they do they know they can act befuddled and indignant and a bunch of dopes will persuade themselves the serial rape was just all a big silly misunderstanding. you gotta get those dudes a superego in grade school or they're just like this, forever.

Yeah, pretty much I just don't think there's ever been a guy that has just been dumb enough to slap his head and say "wait, rape is.......bad?????? Oh gosh!"at this.

The people who do it do it because they prioritize their own momentary pleasure over someone else's life, because they're horrifyingly awful people, and the "alright now DON'T rape people, okay?" Stuff is very obviously wildly ineffective given how long we've been doing it and how the statistics on this nonsense still look, so it just pisses me off because it's obviously a way for things to cover their rear end and look like they're doing stuff while doing nothing at all

It's a place giving this useless sexual assault training in response to massive amounts of allegations against them on an institutional level, but then they point at it and say "see!!!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Moon Atari posted:

The comments section on that one are actually good. Especially the other women telling their stories.

That may well be the most positive reddit thread I have ever read.

Hope that woman takes all that great advice to heart.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
I'm loving the comments on Trump Hubbys posts. Cant imagine why a woman would divorce this gem of a man.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

The real fun is when you start reading OP's responses

I 37(M) pregnant wife 28(f) is divorcing me due to my political views
u/heartbrokenug

quote:

You loving retarded son of a bitch. Mind your business

You are an idiot. Just go kill yourself. The world is better off. oval office

Am not controlling my wife you fuckin stupid bitch.

No poo poo, you idiot. Again you must be retarded. If you have nothing to add. gently caress off.

Mild Infidelity

Yes you are. Probably retarded so I will cut you some slack.

Are you also that stupid? Or maybe retarded?

Shut the gently caress up and move along, you pathetic stupid bitch.
Classy dude.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They could have way too much money.

People with way too much money don't have 3pm-9pm weddings. When people schedule a wedding for those hours, it's because the venue isn't allowed to be open late or because it's a Sunday, when venues normally discount their prices.

Straight White Shark posted:

A lot of venues just book by the day or half-day and don't close until midnight or later; I could definitely see a scenario where the wedding couple sent out invitations for 5-9pm and then got told they had the venue til 1am and just decided they might as well use it.

That never really happens, as there's not really any reason to. As above, only reason to have a 3pm-9pm time is because it's a Sunday wedding. The reason to have a Sunday wedding is that venues are cheaper on Sundays. If you're renting a venue for a discount, the idea that you could afford the extension cost for all of your live vendors for a time that's nearly half of the existing contract is beyond unbelievable. The idea that they'd be willing to re-cook dinner (they would absolutely have to re-cook it if the dinner is 4-5 hours behind) an hour after closing time is insane.

quote:

Staff costs are usually a fraction of what you pay for the food and the space, and vendor contracts include explicit overtime clauses for a reason (and usually require a credit card on file for exactly this purpose, even if you're paying by check.)

It's a stretch, but if they're as careless with money as they are with everything else it's absolutely conceivable.

Venues don't generally have overtime clauses, because staff costs are built into the price of the rental.

I moonlight as a wedding DJ, and the entire concept of what went on at this wedding is absolutely bizarre, and if it happened it's a nightmare scenario. An hour or even sometimes two, at the end of the night, is not unheard of. Weddings commonly run 15-30 minutes behind on ceremony, at worst 30 mins late for dinner, dancing can be late by 30-60 minutes because the bride & groom are glad-handing. But the venue doesn't just let the night keep going after end time. They kick you out, or at least the staff leaves if you have the venue all evening.

If a wedding was running 4-5 hours late, almost no guests would be around at 10pm for dinner. They would simply have left by 9pm, after whatever riot occurred at 8:30pm when they hadn't eaten yet. It's absolutely not believable in the least.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kind of want to see those FB arguments. With debate skills like those I bet he really owned some libs!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

La Brea Carpet posted:

Is my (male) boss just joking around or do I (female) need to take this situation more seriously?

"I have a crush on my boss. How can I frame this as his fault?"

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

loquacius posted:

Kind of want to see those FB arguments. With debate skills like those I bet he really owned some libs!

Almost definitely him parroting some dumb Fox news poo poo, insulting anyone who explains why it's wrong, then screeching that they're being disrespectful if they call him an idiot in return

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Blade Runner posted:

Almost definitely him parroting some dumb Fox news poo poo, insulting anyone who explains why it's wrong, then screeching that they're being disrespectful if they call him an idiot in return

So much for the tolerant left.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

There was one where he didn't want to go to MA to see the baby born because MA is such a liberal state and he didn't think he could be there. He'd much rather force her to come back to have the baby there so she'll be trapped and can't leave.

Jesus christ.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blade Runner posted:

Yeah, pretty much I just don't think there's ever been a guy that has just been dumb enough to slap his head and say "wait, rape is.......bad?????? Oh gosh!"at this.

The people who do it do it because they prioritize their own momentary pleasure over someone else's life, because they're horrifyingly awful people, and the "alright now DON'T rape people, okay?" Stuff is very obviously wildly ineffective given how long we've been doing it and how the statistics on this nonsense still look, so it just pisses me off because it's obviously a way for things to cover their rear end and look like they're doing stuff while doing nothing at all

It's a place giving this useless sexual assault training in response to massive amounts of allegations against them on an institutional level, but then they point at it and say "see!!!"

Yeah, people are acting like this is a skill/knowledge issue when its an issue of consequences. You can say rape is bad all you want but when someone is sexually assaulted and the institution does everything they can to protect the abuser rather than the victim, dudes figure out its just lip service and they can do whatever they like.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Apartment maintenance man saw me in a state of undress, put his finger in my mouth.

quote:

Throwaway because of how embarrassing this is for me. Also I'm in Pennsylvania.

I moved into a new apartment complex at the beginning of August and have had no problems so far. A couple of weeks ago, I called maintenance to take care of peeling paint by my back door. A guy came, he fixed it, and I thought the issue was resolved.

Fast forward to today, I've been extremely sick since the weekend. Today I got back from class, took NyQuil, and just laid down to sleep. I closed my bedroom door as an extra buffer against the noise my neighbors across the hall can sometimes make. I'm a deep sleeper anyway and taking it made me pretty much dead to the world. I had a fever breaking so I got incredibly hot before the medicine kicked in, so I stripped down to just my panties.

These next bits I'm fuzzy on because I was sleeping and didn't witness them. A maintenance guy came back to "finish my paint job" and let himself in when I didn't answer the door. He saw my keys and stuff in my living room so decided to check if I was okay. He let himself into my bedroom and saw me there asleep. My blanket had become a tangled mess so he got a full view of my chest. He then put his finger in my mouth to wake me up.

I was immediately woken by the finger and this guy told me all of this in a rush while I was incredibly confused and groggy. Then I realized he could see me pretty much naked and screamed at him to get out.

This happened just a few hours ago and I have no idea what to do. He might be telling the truth about being worried but it really bugs me he went into my bedroom. It bothers me more he put his finger in my mouth because it feels more sexual than just, say, shaking me or something, especially since I was undressed. Should I just complain to the apartment complex? Or should I call the police as well?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

La Brea Carpet posted:

Apartment maintenance man saw me in a state of undress, put his finger in my mouth.

If only he had gone to some sort of training telling him to not do this

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ugh, call the cops!!

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo that guy would catch the contents of my nightstand upside his head until I got to the nightstand itself, where I would then proceed to beat him with the nightstand until it fell apart or he ran out the door.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Thankfully the comments for that one is everyone telling her to call the cops. They also rightfully pointed out that the finger in her mouth is probably just the action that woke her up, not the the only action he did.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm catching up itt and I wanted to give a bunch of special lmaos to the woke brigade who thought that the blackout drunk guy who woke up and threw up in a drawer at 4am was calculated abuse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, I mean the Redditor. I agree that when she wrote the books she was thinking of the character as white (though she doesn't flat out say 'Hermione, the Aryan blonde girl' or anything - it's not inconsistent with someone mixed race, at least); and is trying to retcon it (see also: gay Dumbledore), but some people still get reeeeeeeeeeeally way bent out of shape at the suggestion either of these retcons is true.

Gay Dumbledore to its credit does make one particular background plot point make a whoooole lot more sense, but yeah, Rowling's done a lot of bare minimum effort wokeness and turns tory the moment her fortune getting taxed becomes a possibility.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm catching up itt and I wanted to give a bunch of special lmaos to the woke brigade who thought that the blackout drunk guy who woke up and threw up in a drawer at 4am was calculated abuse

All according to plan, he is clearly a master manipulator

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and turns tory the moment her fortune getting taxed becomes a possibility.

that's like, the opposite of what I've seen

did you just make it up?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I'll provide a hypothetical alternative. She may have been more drugged out than she thought if it took her moments of him explaining the situation to her before realizing she was half naked. He might have announced his presence, received no response, then after seeing her unresponsive actually already tried shaking her awake. He was at A of DRABCD when she woke up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

that's like, the opposite of what I've seen

did you just make it up?

In the last general election she advocated voting Lib Dem instead of Labour because she hates Corbyn because she hates taxes

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Moon Atari posted:

I'll provide a hypothetical alternative. She may have been more drugged out than she thought if it took her moments of him explaining the situation to her before realizing she was half naked. He might have announced his presence, received no response, then after seeing her unresponsive actually already tried shaking her awake. He was at A of DRABCD when she woke up.

You don't go into an apartment without without being let in.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Blade Runner posted:

When I was doing my PhD in Austria, we all had to go to a mandatory Gender Studies course. It was almost universally reviled by people who had done it in previous years, because the teacher just made everyone read some lovely sociology papers, make them write a loving essay and grade that. For multiple papers. This was specifically for the MINT PhDs, so nobody of us knows how to write an essay on anything, much less read + understand sociology literature well. So that probably didn't teach anyone anything except "gender studies loving suck, man".

Fortunately, when I took the course, we got a different teacher, and she made us read papers as well, but then do a group presentation on them. Which is fine, we're used to doing presentations. The papers were still tough to read, but you could discuss it in the group and put something sensible together, and we had enough time and not, like, a week. The course consisted of the 15-20 min presentation, and then we discussed the subject matter.

This turned out to be surprisingly useful. For me, because I got some nicely supported arguments and examples which I was never exposed to as opposed to distilled internet talking points, and for other people as well. Because many things that you'd think are self-evident to normal human beings are not at all to Austrian STEMlords, so some did have rough awakenings on the concept of the mythical "wage gap" and other things. I mean, I don't expect a super chuddy engineer type who's in it for the money and therefore only himself to be "cured" in any way, but we did have at least two or three dudes in there who were like "surely the wage gap is only because women CHOOSE worse-paying jobs for...nebulous reasons...but they can bootstrap themselves out of it!!!" and who were corrected by a patient teacher and a lot of other women in a relaxed atmosphere that the numbers do actually account for this, sociologist are not stupid no matter what you think about them.

Overall, I think it's very much about the presentation. If you force-feed someone infos without engaging them at all, or, even worse, force them to do lovely and nonsensical tasks they feel are completely unfair, then it's useless or even harmful. But if you make them engage in a discussion where for once, other people in the same room with evidence to back them up and an atmosphere designed to encourage them speaking up, it can change minds at least a little.

This is obviously a far less extreme example than rape. But the principle is kind of the same. A lot of dudes (people in general, but not in this context) just never had to think about these things in anything but the most basic of terms. RAPE is such a harsh word and anyone who's not a monster would agree that they would never do that. But groping a woman who's too intoxicated to resist? Come on. That's not rape!! Right? I didn't even DO that much...
There is value in stating clearly that yes, this is also rape, don't think you're innocent because you "just" did this and that. It might open some eyes to teach this. Even if people just think "ah poo poo I can get in trouble even for that? Better think twice about it...", that's already a positive.

To bring it back to the wage gap example, because I honestly don't want to talk about rape too much because it's so loaded, I think another thing that was worthwhile there was just showing that there IS another viewpoint held by reasonable people - even your peers - supported by research. You might go out of the class thinking "ah naw that's bullshit and I still don't believe it", but if you never doubted your view before because you never had it challenged, that's a huge change. Someone openly contradicted you and you couldn't just shout them down, and this seed of doubt is very, very important to have in any idiot's tiny brain, imho.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

loquacius posted:

In the last general election she advocated voting Lib Dem instead of Labour because she hates Corbyn because she hates taxes

OMG burn the witch :rolleyes:

Edit: for non-UK goons she advocated voting for the sorta-centrist party with almost no seats instead of the party lead by a literal communist who loves Stalin and hates Jews

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 14, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apartment maintenance guys let themselves into apartments all the time in my experience, it's legal as long as they give you notice (and they've forgotten to give notice before in my experience)

One time a building I was living in gave me a notice saying "we're repainting all the balconies over the next month, so there will be guys on your balcony at some point over the next month, no we will not get any more specific than that" and there were guys on my balcony with no warning multiple times over the next month

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

OMG burn the witch :rolleyes:

If you think nobody should ever question a famous person advocating third-party votes in a high-stakes election I've got a lot of very angry tweets I could show you that people have written about Susan Sarandon

also yes gently caress FYGM centrists

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

There's a Forensic Files episode about this. She got murdered, I think.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

Another alternative: That wasn't his finger

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

Edit: for non-UK goons she advocated voting for the sorta-centrist party with almost no seats instead of the party lead by a literal communist who loves Stalin and hates Jews

lol

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
(IL, IA) Over 50 women, some of them my friends, were just added to a "body positivity social science experiment" on facebook where a young man had posted nudes of himself and asked everyone else to do so as well

quote:

To clarify the advice, the majority of those affected are split between Illinois and Iowa, but primarily Illinois.

A lot of it is in the title. Screenshots of everything (except the nude images) have been archived. The perpetrator was doing this, supposedly with faculty approval of a university, though they have stated that "Since I transferred and go to a different school, you wouldn't know them, and they are not at liberty to talk to students who have graduated."

All women who were invited to the group were over the age of 18 as well as the man himself. He also stated that you can be threatened with legal action if any information about this experiment is leaked.

The 'idea' of the group was to have all of the women DM him their nudes, and he was to change the name and post them in the group. Then, all 'participants' were to compliment each others' nudes, 'and the researcher would analyze the responses' etc. etc.

He is the only man in the group and the only moderator. Plenty of other evidence has been captured which leads me to believe (if it wasn't enough already) that the entire thing is falsified.

The intimidation tactics to try and avoid being reported were incredibly alarming as well. Additionally, there was a post about how he intended to invite men into the group, but needed to get their consent first. As far as we are aware, none of the women were asked for consent

I am almost certain that this is illegal, how do I report this, and what evidence should I include?

edit Thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

You don't go into an apartment without without being let in.

Sometimes the apartment manager tells them to go there and do it at a certain time but fails to tell them that the resident hadn't agreed or been informed of it. Especially when they are doing a bunch of rooms. So if they knock and get no answer they just assume you are out. I got barged in on by cleaning ladies once. I was wearing headphones and listening to loud music. Luckily I was wearing undies, but it was awkward since it was during my private time where I like to pose and flex my tight ripped body.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

(IL, IA) Over 50 women, some of them my friends, were just added to a "body positivity social science experiment" on facebook where a young man had posted nudes of himself and asked everyone else to do so as well

wow I am seriously astounded this didn't work

rocket scientist level perv here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

almightyerin posted:

I'm loving the comments on Trump Hubbys posts. Cant imagine why a woman would divorce this gem of a man.

The doozy of all doozies was:

quote:

Thank you, I asked her and spoke to her parents. They all say my support for trump is the main issue. I asked her to write down all the other issues we had. Spoke to one of our mutual friends who pointed out that my wife being biracial feels betrayed by me supporting someone who many call racist. I never saw it in that view and she never mentioned it. I am willing to do anything to save my marriage.