Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
new episode is one of the best in the series so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Okay I haven't been following this thread at all so forgive me if this had been brought up recently, but earlier today I finished reading The Mist and I just finished the 2007 movie a few minutes ago and I have to talk about the ending (and none of my friends care.)

Did anybody else think the way the movie ended was really freaking good? Like a sly nod to the source material since the book has a kind of vague ending that leaves it up to the reader on whether or not they survive, and hangs a big ol' lampshade on this by calling it a "Hitchcock ending" and mentioning that the main character's father hates Hitchcock endings. I like to think the director agreed, took King's offhand mention of them using the gun on themselves and chose his own adventure.

Dark as gently caress but I love the above and also thought the scene fit in very naturally with the overall theme of people doing horrible poo poo due to extreme fear and hopelessness.

Oh, and I also thought the human sacrifice was handled a lot more dramatically since the book feels like it's ramping up to that but then it never actually happens.
Overall I appreciated the changes made and I think this is my favorite King film adaptation so far.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Okay I haven't been following this thread at all so forgive me if this had been brought up recently, but earlier today I finished reading The Mist and I just finished the 2007 movie a few minutes ago and I have to talk about the ending (and none of my friends care.)

Did anybody else think the way the movie ended was really freaking good? Like a sly nod to the source material since the book has a kind of vague ending that leaves it up to the reader on whether or not they survive, and hangs a big ol' lampshade on this by calling it a "Hitchcock ending" and mentioning that the main character's father hates Hitchcock endings. I like to think the director agreed, took King's offhand mention of them using the gun on themselves and chose his own adventure.

Dark as gently caress but I love the above and also thought the scene fit in very naturally with the overall theme of people doing horrible poo poo due to extreme fear and hopelessness.

Oh, and I also thought the human sacrifice was handled a lot more dramatically since the book feels like it's ramping up to that but then it never actually happens.
Overall I appreciated the changes made and I think this is my favorite King film adaptation so far.

the black and white director’s cut is even better

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ending to The Mist was great. A real gut punch. King said it was better than his ending to the book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the ending is good because it proves, if more proof were needed, that Carmody was right about everything the entire time

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought it came across as a little preachy, with respect to faith and belief. The grocery store cult showed us one extreme of that spectrum, the ending showcased the other, but the character who believed in herself and ran into danger to rescue her kids turned out fine.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the ending is good because it proves, if more proof were needed, that Carmody was right about everything the entire time

well she was wrong about not getting loving murdered

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
and in death she joins the ranks of the martyrs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Book Carmody was super scary ugly sounding like all of King's Evil Christian Womentm but Marcia Gay Harden is definitely not.

It added an extra layer of conflict for me, the viewer.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

So Castle Rock sounds like Abrams trying to be realllyy "cute," given how this season ended.

Skaarsgard appears 27 years ago, is kept underground in a sewer like hole, comes out, a bunch of people die, and then a gigantic death events happens and he goes back underground again. Okay, dude.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, that ending was something that could've maybe worked for a Twilight Zone episode, but felt really off as a season resolution. I'm having second thoughts about watching season 2.

Doesn't help that I found Skaarsgard's character to be much more compelling both as a 'monster' and straight protagonist as in episode 9, whereas Holland's was just kinda flat throughout, so my sympathies were firmly with the former towards the end.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I gave up on Castle Rock, it just seemed like a disorganized mess.

I am re-reading The Stand for the first time in awhile, just starting book three. I forgot how much I love this book. It's enormous, but nothing really drags (besides maybe some early Larry or Fran chapters). I think it might be my favorite King book (or It, or Salem's Lot)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought the first season was fine, but I really hope the second season follows a completely different group of characters, but we see the cast from Season 1 show up as background characters to give the town a little added depth.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

Book Carmody was super scary ugly sounding like all of King's Evil Christian Womentm
king writes some demographics atrociously but the ones he knows well he hits out of the park, and the evil christian woman is definitely one of his specialties

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it's not, though. Carmody is like the bad guy from Under The Dome, Big Jim Remmy or whoever. they're terrible characters. king, himself obviously a liberal, is very good at conjuring up everything that liberals hate and fear and incarnating them in the Perfect Other. he writes the kind of characters that liberals believe their opponents are (and on some level want them to be) in their most reductive and dismissive moments. the movie's depiction of Carmody is much more effective than the novella's because it introduces the subversive element of her being (at least potentially) right, instead of just the ranting Westboro Baptist cardboard cutout that King wrote originally.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 14, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

it's not, though. Carmody is like the bad guy from Under The Dome, Big Jim Remmy or whoever. they're terrible characters. king, himself obviously a liberal, is very good at conjuring up everything that liberals hate and fear and incarnating them in the Perfect Other. he writes the kind of characters that liberals believe their opponents are (and on some level want them to be) in their most reductive and dismissive moments. the movie's depiction of Carmody is much more effective than the novella's because it introduces the subversive element of her being (at least potentially) right, instead of just the ranting Westboro Baptist cardboard cutout that King wrote originally.

Truly, Stephen King used his future scrying glass to look into the mid-1990s to mock the Westboro Baptist Church's activities then, from 1980, when writing The Mist.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
she's not literally made of cardboard in the book either, fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

she's not literally made of cardboard in the book either, fishmech

You are so eager to shriek about phantom liberals that you refuse to realize real people act the way he writes, especially up in Maine.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, have you been to Fundamentalist Christian churches? There are always people that are like Carmody there, that even the pastor/whatever can't stand. I don't know where you get this "liberal invention" thing from; those people absolutely exist, and put in that kind of crazy situation, would act exactly like her.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it's lazy writing. book-Carmody is a deeply boring character because she's a transparent boogeyman, and vaguely gesturing towards the idea that "well there are real people like her" doesn't change that. she exists solely to a) generate some conflict in the grocery store, which is fine, and b) to build up a tribalistic sense of hatred in the audience which is then released in the cathartic moment of her death, which is less fine. further, her and Remmy both reinforce the deeply-held liberal conviction that right wingers act only out of some admixture of ignorance, hypocrisy, and sheer conscious malevolence. the idea that their might be some value either to their beliefs or even to them as people is completely banished. as i said, the film is an improvement on the book because it offers the deeply disturbing idea that Carmody might be right, while the book lacks any such nuance.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

his perfect others are all unfortunately very realistic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

it's lazy writing. book-Carmody is a deeply boring character because she's a transparent boogeyman, and vaguely gesturing towards the idea that "well there are real people like her" doesn't change that. she exists solely to a) generate some conflict in the grocery store, which is fine, and b) to build up a tribalistic sense of hatred in the audience which is then released in the cathartic moment of her death, which is less fine. further, her and Remmy both reinforce the deeply-held liberal conviction that right wingers act only out of some admixture of ignorance, hypocrisy, and sheer conscious malevolence. the idea that their might be some value either to their beliefs or even to them as people is completely banished. as i said, the film is an improvement on the book because it offers the deeply disturbing idea that Carmody might be right, while the book lacks any such nuance.

this is asinine.....assigning value to carmodys beliefs is to endorse ritual sacrifice. even if shes right shes just as cartoonishly evil

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not deeply disturbing at all, a malevolent god that demands the deaths of children isnt exactly a foreign concept to anyone on the planet.....the more disturbing idea thats present in book and film is that religion is toxic and sows fear and hatred. its a thing to be escaped from and the additional horror of the film is that there is no escape

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
if i was in a life and death situation like that avoiding religious nutters would probably rank right up there with breaking a long sober streak on my list of things to do

I'm the guy that dies horribly in the first act and only cares for about 30 seconds before the audience gets too queasy

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya king usually doesnt use religion as the avatar of discord. most of the time his false messiahs are also apostates or heretics

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
You guys seriously think Maine is full of Christian right wingers who believe in human sacrifice?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You'd be surprised how many right-wingers are one thick fog away from barbarism.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

the more disturbing idea thats present in book and film is that religion is toxic and sows fear and hatred.

this isnt exactly a new idea and its not presented with a lot of nuance in the mist, a book about evil spiders

scary ghost dog posted:

this is asinine.....assigning value to carmodys beliefs is to endorse ritual sacrifice. even if shes right shes just as cartoonishly evil

ya my whole point here is that she is cartoonish, friend. that makes her an example of lazy writing.

moths posted:

You'd be surprised how many right-wingers are one thick fog away from barbarism.

this is also my point. king doesnt write conservative characters that are in any way lifelike or compelling, he writes conservative characters that embody and reinforce liberals' worst fever dreams about conservatives, like this guy's

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 15, 2018

April
Jul 3, 2006

this isnt exactly a new idea and its not presented with a lot of nuance in the mist, a book about evil spiders

ya my whole point here is that she is cartoonish, friend. that makes her an example of lazy writing.

this is also my point. king doesnt write conservative characters that are in any way lifelike or compelling, he writes conservative characters that embody and reinforce liberals' worst fever dreams about conservatives, like this guy's

I live in a deep red state, where pentecostal churches are common & snake handling is still a thing. I'll admit that the majority of conservatives aren't that far gone, but pretending that people like Carmody don't exist is just dumb.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

April posted:

I live in a deep red state, where pentecostal churches are common & snake handling is still a thing. I'll admit that the majority of conservatives aren't that far gone, but pretending that people like Carmody don't exist is just dumb.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ya u are deluded if u think cartoonish evil doesnt exist irl and probably lives on ur street. a lifelike and compelling conservative is alex jones, is stephen miller, is donald trump.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ur argument is that her being realistic doesnt mean shes not boring, but u are also the only one saying she is boring and nobody agrrees with u.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
alex "forgot my kids' birthdays because I ate too much chili" jones is an incredible character and none of king's tepid east coast boomer democrat conjurations have half as much vitality as he

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

king's tepid east coast boomer democrat conjurations
Why are you like this?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

ur argument is that her being realistic doesnt mean shes not boring, but u are also the only one saying she is boring and nobody agrrees with u.

thats actually not quite my argument but ok. tell me why I'm wrong, and why she's a good character. what nuance or depth am I missing that I didn't address here:

she exists solely to a) generate some conflict in the grocery store, which is fine, and b) to build up a tribalistic sense of hatred in the audience which is then released in the cathartic moment of her death, which is less fine. further, her and Remmy both reinforce the deeply-held liberal conviction that right wingers act only out of some admixture of ignorance, hypocrisy, and sheer conscious malevolence.

April
Jul 3, 2006

She's a boring character, because people who are obsessed with one thing (their fairy tale of choice, their model train, their next hit of meth) ARE boring. And there are plenty of humans in general who "act only out of some admixture of ignorance, hypocrisy, and sheer conscious malevolence." In this case, it happens to be the obsessively religious nutbag, which you've admitted is A Real Thing. Why does it offend you so much that a character is portrayed the way some people actually are?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If you're so raw about liberals writing conservative villains in a way that gets your Murdochs in a bunch might I suggest the works of successful conservative horror writer Ann Coulter?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

April posted:

She's a boring character, because people who are obsessed with one thing (their fairy tale of choice, their model train, their next hit of meth) ARE boring. And there are plenty of humans in general who "act only out of some admixture of ignorance, hypocrisy, and sheer conscious malevolence." In this case, it happens to be the obsessively religious nutbag, which you've admitted is A Real Thing. Why does it offend you so much that a character is portrayed the way some people actually are?

I've known people of similar religious strains as Carmody; they weren't the one-dimensional cutout that she is. Regardless, a skilled writer (which king absolutely is) should be more than capable of making monomaniacs interesting. He doesnt, I think because he doesn't really want to. Also, I think it's a genuinely bad thing to create simplistic strawmen who embody the absolute extreme of everything you hate about the opposing team and then cheer when they die. Like it's bad writing but it's actually morally problematic not to recognize that. Like when that one thread that was reading that crazy alt-right monster hunter series couldn't understand why its overt fascist themes were bad

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

may I invite you to the freeper thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a leftist