Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Youth Decay posted:

Gators and crocs are the closest-related living reptiles to birds, yes.

That's cool! I actually thought the line had split much earlier. It explains a lot in a way -_-

/edit/ poo poo page snipe. Here's a bird video:

https://twitter.com/roku_urokoinko/status/832755318266269696

Popoto fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Now I need to draw a fluffy, feathered crocodilian friend.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Is a 12yr old 'tiel considered an adult or teenager?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Definitely an adult. Mine is like 19 and really old and cranky.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Veritas posted:

Is a 12yr old 'tiel considered an adult or teenager?

Definitely an adult & also obviously a handsome fella :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Clary posted:

This one is much better! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5I_klBLJ4

Incidentally, I have a metric gently caress ton of videos I never got around to editing. I kind of lost steam when I broke my phone. May try and pick through and get some up.

Mirthless posted:

that's great, i'm glad they enjoyed it

practically the intended audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOpqwn9NHJo

we've got some more of these kicking around somewhere, this was just the one most at hand

:vince: holy poo poo

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cythereal posted:

How about my least favorite?

This fucker lives in a tree close by my bedroom window and more mornings than not decides to start singing the song of his people around 5 or 6 AM.

Did I just get called out? lmao

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Today, I went to see my good friend at the bird store. They've been having problems with an aggressive and creepy guy that I had to run off last week, and she wanted me to be seen there today because he stopped in earlier.

Anyways! They were super slow, and unbeknownst to me had all their problem birds out. I'm proud that blood has only been drawn on me once, and today that got super broken.

Pet a conure, who promptly latched on to my fingertip hard enough to hang off me with nothing but her beak. Ouch.

Then Kito, a male grey, whistled at me. I walk over, and he lowers his head. I pet him, then he started to shuffle like he wants a ride. I give him my forearm, and he puts on foot on it. Then...CHOMP! The bird bit down so hard on my forearm, it took about fifteen seconds to get him off. He was again, hanging by just his beak, ratcheting up the bite pressure. I don't really feel pain anymore, and my friend said he apparently does that until he hears a scream. I didn't make any noise, and pretty calmly just started shaking him off. If I screamed, he would have let go sooner.

Greys. Are. Complete. Assholes.

(No offence to any cute greys here. :) )

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

No it's okay, even the cute ones are assholes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Agent355 posted:

No it's okay, even the cute ones are assholes.

Speaking of cute, they currently have two semi-weaned greys that are the sweetest things ever. No biting.

When do they turn evil? Around two years of age, or "Bird Puberty?"

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Definitely puberty. If you're lucky they might turn back to sweet and cute to some extent :haw:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Definitely puberty. If you're lucky they might turn back to sweet and cute to some extent :haw:
God, I love your avatar. Every time I see it I giggle.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks! It's the eyebrows. I'm a big fan of all the bird up avatars.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

What a good chubby bird! I think I’ll enter Serra someday. She is either a show bird that didn’t make the cut (they’re heavy) or an ungodly chubby little thing. Her vet visit is next week, so we will see.

Also!

Serra has learned to take cables, like headphone jacks, and disconnect them. It’s like she’s the female cockatiel equivalent of an evil genius.

Excuse me, I need to go reclaim my headphones from a bird.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at the babies :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdX4wjSoupU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RIP me - ded from a surfeit of macawwwwws :3:

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth
Just sharing a cute. SO's pineapple(Potato) and my turquoise(Leif) GCC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwHAaaEi_8

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It's Serra Sunday! WARK!

"Birb Blorb? Imma borb."

But the birb blorb can still TIME TRAVEL! Floof!

Occasionally, time traveling results in a perturbed bird wondering around my hardwood floors. Lookit dat long tail!

"You no scritch a birb. Wall scritch? Secret of Space behind headboard?"

"I see a thing"

"GIMME!"

In other news, I'm a very heterosexual dude...but these women's socks are the loving BEST!

My arm, turning into a baseball sized bruise after getting "greyed." If the skin broke worse, I'd be missing a chunk of it.

I'm using chain mail the next time Kito is out of his cage.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

tessdaterrible posted:

Just sharing a cute. SO's pineapple(Potato) and my turquoise(Leif) GCC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwHAaaEi_8

love it :swoon:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Captain Log posted:

In other news, I'm a very heterosexual dude...but these women's socks are the loving BEST!

:3 Serra is so cute.

But ummm, where do I get those socks?!

Nugget is very excited that it's fall now because that means the fleece throw blankets come back out and she loooooooves snuggling in them/climb on them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pip pip pip posted:

:3 Serra is so cute.

But ummm, where do I get those socks?!

Nugget is very excited that it's fall now because that means the fleece throw blankets come back out and she loooooooves snuggling in them/climb on them.

Amazon! I have so many “crazy bird man cockatiel accoutrements” from that website.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i should get a caique...

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Banana was freaking out over running water from the sink and I tried to take a stealthy video but he just knew I had the phone and phone > everything else

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's amazing how even though it's a silent gif I can still hear the tippy-tappy feet

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:derptiel:

Pretty boy!

rear end in a top hat.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

nielsm posted:

rear end in a top hat.

so angery.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Current cage setup:

What sort of stuff to tiels want? I have some things to chew on, a swing, the very popular spiral rope thingy and some sort of snack stick. I’ve ordered some foraging toys/puzzles as well. All suggestions welcome!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Auri's favorite napping spot when I am working from home. (it's right next to my desk)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 17, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Current cage setup:

What sort of stuff to tiels want? I have some things to chew on, a swing, the very popular spiral rope thingy and some sort of snack stick. I’ve ordered some foraging toys/puzzles as well. All suggestions welcome!

That can be quite individual. Observe what he likes and how he plays and try to build on that.
And that's a good cage. If I hadn't built my own that's the kind I would have chosen. You might be able to have one more :derptiel: living there. Also good placing it against a corner.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

nielsm posted:

If I hadn't built my own that's the kind I would have chosen.

I keep thinking about doing this. I have a lot of free space in my house and was thinking about just devoting a corner to a bird cage. Are there any good resources for what you *need* in a bird cage? I'm more than comfortable doing the woodworking / etc, but I've never owned a bird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wouldn't want to build a cage unless it was my ideal cage, and I don't think I'd know what I wanted without any prior experience.

Are you thinking about building a wooden cage? I'd never do that. Metal is easier to clean.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tres Burritos posted:

I keep thinking about doing this. I have a lot of free space in my house and was thinking about just devoting a corner to a bird cage. Are there any good resources for what you *need* in a bird cage? I'm more than comfortable doing the woodworking / etc, but I've never owned a bird.

Main priorities:
- Cleanable, especially the cage floor (sheet material with smooth laminate is pretty good)
- Able to change food and water without letting the bird(s) out (unless you're making a full size aviary with "airlock", a full height door should not be the only way in/out)
- Flexibility in decorating with toys and perches

This is one of my drawings from before building, the final result ended up with somewhat different dimensions:

The primary structure is formed by three "square A" frames held together by the floor and back plates, and the two boards on the front. I have two full height doors on the front, and a small inner door in the right-hand door.

One of the major difficulties were actually attaching the mesh neatly. The mesh I was able to procure isn't great quality, there's rather much variance in the thread spacing so it ends up wobbly in all larger spans.

If I had a suitable workshop, training, tools, and time, in hindsight a welded steel cage would be much preferable.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hardware cloth might be a suitable option instead of mesh.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Mesh could be a bitch on tiny talons.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Current cage setup:

poo poo, look at this cage. Where was this cage when I was shopping for cages? I guess the one I have is bigger, but it doesn't have the top that opens, which I was hoping for with my boy who's afraid of hands in the cage. Not angry, not aggressive, but afraid.

Anyway I suggest at least one thing with a bell, but I have a tiel who likes to use bells as punching bags when he's angry.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Auri's favorite napping spot when I am working from home. (it's right next to my desk)
oh my goooood :kimchi:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh yeah, move that snack stick to the middle of the cage, so it hangs freely. It's more of a challenge (so likely more fun) to eat that way, and should also teach your bird to grasp objects with one foot while interacting with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Omg, woke up today and it seems pippu is sneezing a bit :/ I am fairly certain there are no drafts near the cage, but moved heater a bit closer to his cage just to be safe. Its been pretty cold outside...

On the other hand he noticed his own reflection in one of the food bowls during breakfast. He did a lot of chirping I haven’t heard before and then sang his first uh thing. Big screm crescendo towards the end. It has some likeness to the song of my male zebra finch haha. He then hung upside like a bat and flapped his wings toward the food bowl. I assume this is some sort of territory thing? Really cool that he’s already doing a weird song tho imho

The finches are not really that upset with a new big bird living here. They barely seem to care tbh. Seeing the huge flocks of wild birds currently in the yard outside results in megatoots from time to time atm tho

As for the snack stick, should I hang it from the roof of the cage? currently it hangs by itself on the rear wall. Need to climb a bit to get to it.