Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
2 GigaMail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

SEKCobra posted:

2 GigaMail

Blacked out: the replying to all staff list

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gotta BCC those distros

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

gotta BCC those distros

I desperately want a "BCC Only" checkbox for mail groups; that could solve so many problems with all-staff or large-/multi-department email lists.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

3 monitors, never see my desktop!
I swore for years that they improve my productivity or something, but multiple monitors are the absolute loving worst when you have ADHD.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vulture Culture posted:

I swore for years that they improve my productivity or something, but multiple monitors are the absolute loving worst when you have ADHD.

Single monitor life for me too. I use spaces but I keep slack/twitter/messages/email on a 2nd desktop and just focus on my main desktop. It’s big dell curve monitor. Can’t remember the size.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vulture Culture posted:

I am so dependent on multiple monitors that I could very easily use a 4th (but won't), but it's really not a function of ADHD for me. I'm just an "I must see the window" guy. As I type, I have 3 monitors which are displaying Outlook, Chrome and Foobar each in fullscreen. Could Outlook and Foobar be behind Chrome, since the only thing I'm actively doing is narrating my life? Sure, but then I couldn't see them.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 14, 2018

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

I really wonder if anyone at Apple uses a secondary monitor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vulture Culture posted:

https://hackernoon.com/why-i-stopped-using-multiple-monitors-bfd87efa2e5b

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I keep my laptop open to display my email and I have a single 26” monitor for everything else.I split my apps over 3 desktops - one for coding, one for general web browsing, and one for chat apps. It works pretty well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm looking to get a 43" 4K for work and ditch the two 1080p monitors I have now.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

I'm looking to get a 43" 4K for work and ditch the two 1080p monitors I have now.
I have 2 24" qhd monitors and feel it adds more utility than a larger 4k would. Personal preference though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I agree with the dude that Bob linked. It’s possible for a monitor to be too big imo. At least for work usage.

The point of going to a single screen is to be able to focus in on one thing. If it’s fuckoff huge you still end up with a bunch of windows open anyway. Or you have one, not maximized, and are just wasting money on a massive screen.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 14, 2018

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

I have one for home, and it’s overkill. But I miss it terribly when I have to slum with my 27” 4K at work. Somewhere in the 30s would be just right.

I also dislike dual monitor setups as I can only focus on one screen at a time and the other is a distraction. With the single large screen I still focus on what’s going on in the middle and then play with the extra real estate if I need to look at a couple of things.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Hey guys it's not common to host your website out of your literal Comcast Business connection out of your office building right?

I think this is what's going on at my wife's place of work.

She doesn't work in IT. It's a printing company.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

freeasinbeer posted:

I have one for home, and it’s overkill. But I miss it terribly when I have to slum with my 27” 4K at work. Somewhere in the 30s would be just right.

I also dislike dual monitor setups as I can only focus on one screen at a time and the other is a distraction. With the single large screen I still focus on what’s going on in the middle and then play with the extra real estate if I need to look at a couple of things.

Overkill... I dunno, I'm running 2x27" in portrait + a 43" 4K at home and it's pretty nice.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Comcast Business connection

is just a home connection that you pay alot more for, and its the worst.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Hey guys it's not common to host your website out of your literal Comcast Business connection out of your office building right?

It's pretty common.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

For a small business? Could go either way. It's less expensive and the risk may not be very large. What are the consequences if the website goes down? Does it affect production, or do customers just try to visit it again the next day?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The web server is often not in a DMZ so if it's hacked it's a good jumping off point to the rest of the company.

A lot of times people are trying to interface with another machine on the network (ERP system for example) in order to do something like a shopping cart or ordering on the website, and they didn't know how to access that internal system from a hosted server.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

The web server is often not in a DMZ so if it's hacked it's a good jumping off point to the rest of the company.

A lot of times people are trying to interface with another machine on the network (ERP system for example) in order to do something like a shopping cart or ordering on the website, and they didn't know how to access that internal system from a hosted server.

I agree, but that is a much deeper dive than the simple question of, "is this normal?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's no point hosting some random website that contains some static information about your company from your office when dirt cheap web hosts exist.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

There's no point hosting some random website that contains some static information about your company from your office when dirt cheap web hosts exist.

I am pretty sure the right answer to that is just use cloudflare to cache your content and hand it out for free.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Seriously. I host my uncles auto repair biz site on GOON APPROVED hosting for $1.50/mo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just loving with the owner of our company now. I sent him a copy of the Valve Employee handbook. Just got this email:

Robert
Valve
Very interesting
Somewhat similar to Menlo the company we toured a few years ago
K will be working as an assistant to xxxxx and wife
I have asked her to read Valve and Menlo book (Joy Inc) then to work with wife and HRlady to update our employee handbook
I like our company to be different/unique
Thanks for recommending Valve
Owner

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Seriously. I host my uncles auto repair biz site on GOON APPROVED hosting for $1.50/mo

Does that include the domain name, or is that separate? Seems like the domain name is the most expensive part.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

e: nevermind I misread, but the goon hosting is pretty legit:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800
I host 5 sites on mine and it's like $60 per year for the hosting, and one of the domain names came free with the plan.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I'm just loving with the owner of our company now. I sent him a copy of the Valve Employee handbook. Just got this email:

Robert
Valve
Very interesting
I have asked her to read Valve and Menlo book (Joy Inc) then to work with wife and HRlady to update our employee handbook
Owner

Pro move assuming you get out of there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I still like my 34" ultrawide. I have a couple of standard configurations and I always keep things in the same places on the same virtual desktops, and I use Magnet to assign windows to splits WinSplit Revolution-style, so I don't sweat where to put windows. It's nice to be able to use 1/3 or 1/2 or whatever splits if I need to do some pretty deep comparative analysis, or keep docs and code and tests all next to each other. But if I'm trying to focus, I just default to the laptop alone now.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

So they were being hit with a DoS attack all this week, so there's that. At least the web site is only static info, like others said, but I don't see the point and it opens you up for other problems.

I found out that their "IT guy" is an oldbeard from the 90s who's friends with the owner. He probably has the whole thing set up like convoluted garbage as job security. Probably still has that attitude that you could have 20 years ago that says, "What are you gonna do, fire me? I run the computers! No one else knows about computers!"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I've got one of those 34" Dell 21:9 monitors and it's the bee's knees. I still keep my MacBook's screen open, but just for itunes, and another 24" in portrait for IM clients.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I've got one of those 34" Dell 21:9 monitors and it's the bee's knees

Vulture Culture posted:

I still like my 34" ultrawide.

If I didn't have a stupid amount of monitors already I would love to try 3440 x 1440. Can you get one for $400 yet?

My desk currently has: 27" 2560x1440, 25" 2560x1440, 21.5" 4069x2304, 22" 1920x1200. Well, two of them are on the floor. But still.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What kind is that 21.5"?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Robert
Valve
Very interesting
Owner

Wait is there a joke I'm missing or is Valve actually that ridiculous?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

Wait is there a joke I'm missing or is Valve actually that ridiculous?

Valve is actually that ridiculous. Rumor has it it's also a cesspool of gamergaters and MRAs.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Working for a video game company is probably the worst thing you could do to yourself.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Methanar posted:

Working for a video game company is probably the worst thing you could do to yourself.

Where does being the only IT guy for a law firm with rotating partner CIOs and no budget stack up against video game company work?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If I didn't have a stupid amount of monitors already I would love to try 3440 x 1440. Can you get one for $400 yet?

My desk currently has: 27" 2560x1440, 25" 2560x1440, 21.5" 4069x2304, 22" 1920x1200. Well, two of them are on the floor. But still.
Yes for flat, no for curved. I wouldn't consider one without the curve, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does that include the domain name, or is that separate? Seems like the domain name is the most expensive part.

I have the domain separate on Google domains, it's like $11/y or whatever.

His site is just static HTML pages and a php contact form.