Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pead posted:

NPR had an interview with someone from new bern and the interviewer kept asking "don't you think you should leave since people will have to risk their lives to save you?" and their response was basically, lol nah, that's their job, i'm not to worried about it.

tjey've got a bit of a point there, 1st responders constantly want their dicks sucked, maybe they should earn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gibbering posted:

That was my point. You build next to the flood plain, or as near to the river as you can get without becoming a cautionary tale. Mostly I’m thinking of neighborhoods that pop up on pieces of land that’ve been empty since Tag was a pup and then go “but why does my house flood every year!”

because rivers look cool

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

really queer Christmas posted:

i like that this thread doesn’t have a lust to see people die. it’s a good thing imo

gently caress that.

:killing: all religious people

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

now I hope everyone dies

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

twoday posted:

Actually it wasn’t god or the rescuers who saved them, but the people at home tweeting out thoughts and prayers

https://twitter.com/jennelainex24/status/1040510585232867328

What level is wall of protection, 5?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

whatever level weather channel has to make those force disks

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

really queer Christmas posted:

i like that this thread doesn’t have a lust to see people die. it’s a good thing imo

I don't want to see people die, but if something happens to someone and they actually had the ability to leave and chose not to, I'm not going to be sad about it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nebakenezzer posted:

We're talking priest magic here so

Protection from Evil, 10' radius, would be a level 4 spell, under 2nd edition best edition rules, but flood waters aren't "evil," they're elemental, so that wouldn't help.

Under 5th Edition rules, "Control Water" is also 4th level, so that's probably the answer.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
major casualties so far: a flag, an awning

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We're talking priest magic here so

Protection from Evil, 10' radius, would be a level 4 spell, under 2nd edition best edition rules, but flood waters aren't "evil," they're elemental, so that wouldn't help.

Under 5th Edition rules, "Control Water" is also 4th level, so that's probably the answer.

So if Wall of force can actually hold back floodwaters, doesn't that make it way stronger than a stone wall? I don't see how enemies can bash their way through it in just 3 rounds if they do blunt dmg

twoday posted:

About the same as kicking through a wall, I would imagine, but then harder because of the angle

So nearly impossible

Several years ago I read an article about a hurricane survivor on the gulf coast, he said keeping an axe in the attic was a chestnut from people who lived along the gulf for a least a century

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
this thing went from DeathStorm 2018 to completely avoiding me.

the power of positive shitposting

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
School was closed all week. There hasn't been a drop of rain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nebakenezzer posted:

So if Wall of force can actually hold back floodwaters, doesn't that make it way stronger than a stone wall? I don't see how enemies can bash their way through it in just 3 rounds if they do blunt dmg

Yeah I don't think Wall of Force would work for exactly that reason. Plus that's a wizard spell, not priestly magic.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

i'd have been fine, if uncomfortable, had we been hit by a cat 5. it might gently caress up rooms a lot but its not going to do structural damage to a high rise

lol

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
sent some thoughts and prayers, you're welcome. don't spend it on drugs or hookers or whatever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I wouldnt have stayed in my room that was being trashed like a moron

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Says the man whose balcony almost flooded his room

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the critical thing here is that it didn't

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

eonwe posted:

I don't want to see people die, but if something happens to someone and they actually had the ability to leave and chose not to, I'm not going to be sad about it

this is better than the gbs thread so I’ll take it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Calibanibal posted:

Why not just seal your doors and windows

because then your house floats off of its foundation

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah jose, we all saw you saved from your own incompetence by the whims of the weather and a couple of extremely dedicated maintenance guys, it's weird for you to walk that back now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Listen, I know that through great fortune and against the advice of dozens I narrowly evaded death, but the critical thing is I did not die

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Large shards of glass flying at me at 120 MPH? Nah I wouldn't stay in that room like a moron I'd just have ran at 150 mph out of the room before the glass could even reach me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

I wouldnt have stayed in my room that was being trashed like a moron

well yeah parts of you would've been scattered back into the hallway once the exterior glass was shotgunned completely through the structure by a 190mph 3 second gust

really the only safe place in a steel frame or concrete structure like that in a serious storm is the stairwell

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm glad we're all still relitigating Jose being stuck in hurricane Irma while his namesake hurricane was doing loop de loops in the Atlantic. Im glad that was a thing that happened

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cmon flo we better see some human misery soon or else things are gonna get ugly!!!!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:patriot:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I hope states around the country come together and send their poor people to replace the ones who couldn't evacuate.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

DryGoods posted:

this thing went from DeathStorm 2018 to completely avoiding me.

the power of positive shitposting

Same, but also add forgetting I was in the Science Academics and Languages thread and not the GBS one and getting hoppin’ mad passoniate about arguing over Southern food.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1040650121158033408

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It gets better

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1040651830047461377

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

funny how we keep getting these once in a millenia weather events every couple of years

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Al! posted:

funny how we keep getting these once in a millenia weather events every couple of years

how often did houston get it? 4 times in 3 years or something like that?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Al! posted:

Mother Nature will send increasingly powerful storms until the usa is wiped clean..sort of like the Angels in Evangelion

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Vitamin Me posted:

Mother Nature will send increasingly powerful storms until the usa is wiped clean..sort of like the Angels in Evangelion

Kaiju in Pacific Rim

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

we had a 1000 year rainstorm here recently and it loving ruined poo poo

all kinds of 150 year old infrastructure found exciting new cascading failure modes

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SKULL.GIF posted:

how often did houston get it? 4 times in 3 years or something like that?

Tax day, TS Alice, Harvey, probably more I'm forgetting. Harvey was a 20000+ year flood in portions of east Harris s county.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/4z9d0Xa.gifv

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

logikv9 posted:

sent some thoughts and prayers, you're welcome. don't spend it on drugs or hookers or whatever

Opps I should have read the whole thing before hiring a hooker to fill my rear end with cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The fact that the sea changes direction multiple times is mega disturbing