Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Growth over the course of a story is the sign of a strong character

I do prefer dynamic characters to static ones.

His relationship with Rinoa is 100% abusive toxic poo poo though. Its exactly the kind of example you DON'T want to set for teenagers.

cheetah7071 posted:

People made fun of characters who talked in ellipses but in FF8 the whole point was that you'd see Squall's internal monologue and then the ellipsis was there to remind you that he didn't actually say anything, he just thought a lot. Which I liked a lot, it worked really well imo.

I have no problem with the ellipses as it is, I'm used to that kinda poo poo in anime.

But stuff like Irvine going like "Hey Squall, Rinoa is gonna die!" and Squall is like "lol she's dumb"

That's... not good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Breaking jrpgs isn't just a FF8 thing lol. You can do it in every jrpg. Hell, playing Bravely Default normally feels broken it rules.
Its frequently the best part of Final Fantasy. Like the Chemist stuff in V, all the Genji Glove/Offering poo poo in VI, the intentionally broken Blue Magic spells across the series, etc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Breaking jrpgs is pretty boring unless the game actually steps up and gives you new challenges for your level of brokenness imo. Otherwise it's just you barreling through trivially easy combat for hours upon hours.

and that's why I like Bravely default/second a lot

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

so far for me the music is easily the worst part of this game

I'm playing it with the voices off and it's fine, it's clear they knew from the start that the game was gonna have a midi soundtrack and worked the rest of sound effects around it. Still really want that fucker to retire so the series can move on.

That said it's still the best jrpg ever made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

Breaking jrpgs is pretty boring unless the game actually steps up and gives you new challenges for your level of brokenness imo. Otherwise it's just you barreling through trivially easy combat for hours upon hours.

and that's why I like Bravely default/second a lot

Yeah, that's where I'm at.

Except in older JRPGs a lot of times the combat does get boring even when its challenging, and I'm only playing for the story. So in that case breaking the game makes sense, so you can skip to the good stuff, the story.

But that's a sign of bad game design. Older games were more technically limited and had smaller budgets, so it is what it is. But a lot of RPGs the combat becomes a chore by the 3rd disc.

I do actually enjoy the combat in Bravely Default and in Octopath.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seriously why did they skip re-releasing FF8

Is it the Faye Wong song

All the other games have recent rereleases they can port. The FFVIII on Steam is still just that old PC version hacked up to work on modern systems, and the only other release is the PSN version which is just the PS1 game in an emulator.

I imagine it's next. Once they got FFIX on phones it started showing up everywhere, and it just sorta showed up one day.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nuke the Switch thread. That is all. I swear that thread defends anything Nintendo shits out

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shindragon posted:

Nuke the Switch thread. That is all. I swear that thread defends anything Nintendo shits out

I'm guessing that everyone is defending this:

The Kins posted:

A couple of unfortunate details about the Online Service: The NES stuff locks you out if you go a week without logging in online (Which kinda sucks if you mostly play your Switch away from wi-fi, ie. on the train or whatever), and your cloud saves are deleted the moment your subscription expires (Which really sucks. In comparison, PS4 keeps your saves for six months after expiry in case you had a payment SNAFU, while on Xbone cloud saves are free)

EDIT: Updated to use the original news source instead of an article about it.

Nintendo gonna nintendo :laugh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed. Although with how mmo levels work, replaying story chapters out of order would be trivial. That's why my last post called for parallel expansion progress.

FFXIV already scales your level for instances, both solo and dungeon, so for the most part that's handled.

Parallel expansions are fine with me, though they come with their own design hurdles. GW2 never increases the level cap, for example, and also lacks any real endgame gear progression. That means the only real "rewards" things can give are cosmetic and/or convenience rewards. Personally, that's fine with me, but I know that isn't for everyone.

If a game like FFXIV stopped increasing the level cap and maximum item level, there'd be an immediate problem to deal with: how do you keep people who have really high item level gear from the previous expansion from just trivializing everything in every expansion to come? And if you normalize item levels, now you need to come up with some new form of progression, because as much as I personally would be fine with playing just for fancy gear skins, I do have to acknowledge that character progression feels nice in an MMO and is a good hook to keep people playing. Stripping it out without replacing it with something meaningful would be a big letdown for a lot of players, I suspect, even if it means that older content doesn't become "obsolete."

(Also, part of the reason EverQuest could get away with that was because it had gear that was about more than just raw numbers, so gear from multiple expansions back could remain relevant based on its procs and stuff like that alone. FFXIV has pretty boring gear by comparison--it's only ever just stat boosts--and I don't really see them going back to the drawing board on that one, even if I wish they could.)

So I don't really think FFXIV needs to go that far. As long as they offer a free level boost with expansions and let you play the story out of order and replay story chapters, I think that'd solve the problem pretty neatly.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 14, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

an actual dog posted:

I'm playing it with the voices off and it's fine, it's clear they knew from the start that the game was gonna have a midi soundtrack and worked the rest of sound effects around it. Still really want that fucker to retire so the series can move on.

That said it's still the best jrpg ever made.

People keep saying things like it's the best, and I went into it assuming it was just a lot of nostalgia-riddled afterglow, but I'm about 15 or so hours in and uh, it's real loving good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

FFXIV already scales your level for instances, both solo and dungeon, so for the most part that's handled.

Parallel expansions are fine with me, though they come with their own design hurdles. GW2 never increases the level cap, for example, and also lacks any real endgame gear progression. That means the only real "rewards" things can give are cosmetic and/or convenience rewards. Personally, that's fine with me, but I know that isn't for everyone.

If a game like FFXIV stopped increasing the level cap and maximum item level, there'd be an immediate problem to deal with: how do you keep people who have really high item level gear from the previous expansion from just trivializing everything in every expansion to come? And if you normalize item levels, now you need to come up with some new form of progression, because as much as I personally would be fine with playing just for fancy gear skins, I do have to acknowledge that character progression feels nice in an MMO.

So I don't really think FFXIV needs to go that far. As long as they offer a free level boost with expansions and let you play the story out of order and replay story chapters, I think that'd solve the problem pretty neatly.

I think the balance is you stop raising the level cap but each expansion has its own endgame ilevel progression. I proposed using something like WoW's old elemental resistences in a mmo thread and people didn't like that, but I think they weren't really hearing me out and were just knee-jerk responding to how wow resistances worked in vanilla, which isn't really what I was saying.

You could have gear that's like ilevel 300 heavensward but you only have ilevel 250 stormblood gear. You do quests in stormblood and raise your ilevel to 260, but that doesn't make the heavensward content any more trivial than it was before you did that, because your gear progression is independent.

You could even allow heavensward gear to work in stormblood and vise versa, but have some bonus that only applies to that expansion, so wearing your 300 stormblood gear would only be like 240 in heavensward, to give you a jump start but also still let you progress to an 'endgame' without it being trivial.

Lots of stuff is possible, this is just getting started on the design spitball. But nobody is even trying to explore that kind of design right now.

E: Although like I said, wow DOES do this for crafting. You can level crafting in Legion and you don't change your crafting progression in BFA, and vise versa. That works so much better than having your cooking be at like 200 and you have to grind through 50 levels of legion cooking before you reach the BFA cooking tier.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 14, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

People keep saying things like it's the best, and I went into it assuming it was just a lot of nostalgia-riddled afterglow, but I'm about 15 or so hours in and uh, it's real loving good.

It helps that DQ11 is surprisingly modern in some really important ways. I've been surprised at the number of recent JRPGs that don't give inactive party members full (or any) EXP, so the fact that DQ11 does feels amazing. I don't have to worry about anyone's level, and if I want to switch someone in, they're never going to be 10 levels behind because I haven't used them for a while. Add in the cheap and readily-available respecs and generous fast travel and it's the rare super-long JRPG that somehow also feels like it respects my time.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah the first time a dude on the bench leveled up i said 'thank loving god' out loud in my apartment

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

It helps that DQ11 is surprisingly modern in some really important ways. I've been surprised at the number of recent JRPGs that don't give inactive party members full (or any) EXP, so the fact that DQ11 does feels amazing. I don't have to worry about anyone's level, and if I want to switch someone in, they're never going to be 10 levels behind because I haven't used them for a while. Add in the cheap and readily-available respecs and generous fast travel and it's the rare super-long JRPG that somehow also feels like it respects my time.

Apparently the japanese version didn't have the sprint which sounds like insanity to me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You could have gear that's like ilevel 300 heavensward but you only have ilevel 250 stormblood gear. You do quests in stormblood and raise your ilevel to 260, but that doesn't make the heavensward content any more trivial than it was before you did that, because your gear progression is independent.

You could even allow heavensward gear to work in stormblood and vise versa, but have some bonus that only applies to that expansion, so wearing your 300 stormblood gear would only be like 240 in heavensward, to give you a jump start but also still let you progress to an 'endgame' without it being trivial.

So one potential issue here is that players hate to see their numbers go down. We generally accept it if we know we're being temporarily scaled down for low-level content, but I think a lot of more casual players would be really confused going from Heavensward to Stormblood and seeing their numbers plummet. You and I might be fine with it, and we might even think it sounds dumb as hell, but I guarantee it'd be an issue. It's not quite the same as one of WoW's stat squishes, either, because those apply across the whole game. Players jumping back and forth between Heavensward and Stormblood areas and seeing their numbers yo-yo would be really confusing to a lot of people. (Yes, you could show a tutorial pop-up but, as a technical writer by trade, I know that you can't rely on people not to just close that poo poo and move on.)

People have thrown around the idea of WoW having a "level squish" at some point, because frankly 120 levels is massive and your skills are so spread out right now that someone leveling from the start will have huge stretches of levels where they don't get any new abilities at all. But if I remember correctly, the reason they won't do that is because they don't want to confuse returning players who log on and suddenly are a lower level--apparently it's a big enough issue that it sweeps the level squish idea right off the table.

You could potentially just have different starting points, like ilevel 250 in Stormblood just has higher numbers than ilevel 250 in Heavensward, but then you're sorta right back where you started, and the only thing that really changed is that they don't need the already-in-place level scaling system.

All of these are potentially solvable problems, but really, level boost + chapter select solves most of them without the game needing to totally change its core progression systems.

Andrast posted:

Apparently the japanese version didn't have the sprint which sounds like insanity to me

Yep, sprinting was added for the western release. Same for the Draconian Quest hard mode modifiers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know why this "Plastic Love" song showed up in my recommendations (I have been listening to a lot of Faye Wong today I suppose) but it is a jam

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The "no level cap increase" thing is actually something The Elder Scrolls Online handles pretty well, believe it or not. The max level is 50 and will stay that way, and the max item level also never increases. But the key is that ESO's gear is almost entirely about gear sets and set bonuses. Each DLC and expansion adds new gear sets that you can only get from certain dungeons or trials (raids). And a lot of those gear sets stay relevant because they have unique effects that remain useful. So people continue to run older dungeons and trials for their sets, while also running the new ones for the new sets.

That's something I'd love to see GW2 do, honestly. They could stand to make rune sets (basically the equivalent of a set bonus) more impactful and add new ones in expansions/Living World releases so that people continually have new options to factor into their builds.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know why this "Plastic Love" song showed up in my recommendations (I have been listening to a lot of Faye Wong today I suppose) but it is a jam

lol that's happening to everyone's recs it's funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think it helps ff8 that the translation is really bad and makes squall seem like more of a prick than he's supposed to be

like how they changed every instance of him saying "sorry" to him saying "whatever" lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't think it helps ff8 that the translation is really bad and makes squall seem like more of a prick than he's supposed to be

like how they changed every instance of him saying "sorry" to him saying "whatever" lol

It undeniably makes him more teen, though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I really don't get the hate for 1-50 FFXIV. I've leveled half a dozen characters through it and it's better than any other MMOs leveling experience.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I really don't get the hate for 1-50 FFXIV. I've leveled half a dozen characters through it and it's better than any other MMOs leveling experience.

The lowest bar

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I won’t have people talking about me in the past tense! - Squall Leonhart, rip in piss

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

well I didn't watch the direct but I guess the gist is

Katamari Switch
Animal Crossing Switch
Isabelle in Smash

also the online has made people angry or something

fake edit: oh, online thingers sound pretty bad, PS+ but poo poo, backlash explained

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Are animal crossings any good? Are they like a more linear stardew valley?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

McDragon posted:

well I didn't watch the direct but I guess the gist is

Katamari Switch
Animal Crossing Switch
Isabelle in Smash

also the online has made people angry or something

fake edit: oh, online thingers sound pretty bad, PS+ but poo poo, backlash explained

Luigi's Mansion 3 for Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w9-31FrjU8

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

redreader posted:

They're games where you move into a town and do cool little things like fish and catch bugs and plant a garden and loop that into getting bells that help you decorate a house or upgrade the town or do a bunch of different things, it's really open ended. The big feature is that time passes while you're not playing the game and that the state of the world matches the date and time (it's night when it's night, it's winter when it's winter, etc.) There's also some really cute and fun interactions with other people in the town, the writing rules.

It feels like a separate world that you can go and chill in. I've never gotten super into it but there's loads of depth and I totally understand why people love it so much.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would say it's less linear than a stardew valley or harvest moon cause there really aren't any goals except for the ones you set for yourself.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted:

Same. It helps that I enjoy the lore and game itself soooo much that the quests were fun for me, but I know that's not the common experience on the titan and garuda quests. Otherwise I think 1-50 is fine, especially the job quests

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

redreader posted:

Not all that comparable imo. Animal Crossing operates in real time so the stores and stuff all have their own hours of operation. They swap stock every day, there are various holiday events you can participate in, but the main meat of the game is you moving into a new house and then paying that house off while getting new furniture and decorating it and befriending your neighbor animals. Most money you make is gonna be through selling fish that you pull outta the ocean and each day you can find a rock that'll give you something when you hit it to get you some money.

The only real "goals" of the game are to complete paying for your debts and complete filling out the museum, but there are other goals you can make for yourself depending on the game, like maybe trying to get a high score from the happy home academy, or collecting a full set of a particular theme of furniture, or finishing various mayoral projects or unlocking all of the shop upgrades or making a bunch of custom clothing or playing with a friend etc etc etc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a reminder if you're at all on the fence about FFXIV, the game is totally free with unlimited play from level 1 - 30 for all jobs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started playing Samus Return's and god drat my 3DS makes my hand cramp up like a bastard now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Not all that comparable imo. Animal Crossing operates in real time so the stores and stuff all have their own hours of operation. They swap stock every day, there are various holiday events you can participate in, but the main meat of the game is you moving into a new house and then paying that house off while getting new furniture and decorating it and befriending your neighbor animals. Most money you make is gonna be through selling fish that you pull outta the ocean and each day you can find a rock that'll give you something when you hit it to get you some money.

The only real "goals" of the game are to complete paying for your debts and complete filling out the museum, but there are other goals you can make for yourself depending on the game, like maybe trying to get a high score from the happy home academy, or collecting a full set of a particular theme of furniture, or finishing various mayoral projects or unlocking all of the shop upgrades or making a bunch of custom clothing or playing with a friend etc etc etc

One thing I hope Animal Crossing Switch does better is about being more respectful of your time. Animal Crossing New Leaf felt like a slow slog, doing anything from talking to your neighbors, to moving inventory around, to just exploring was way slower then it needed to be.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I started playing Samus Return's and god drat my 3DS makes my hand cramp up like a bastard now

I want a 3DS Player like how I have a GameBoy Player.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To be honest, above all else, I'd really like a way for animal crossing's villagers to be more uhh in-depth, to have more going on with them. As it is, they each have a unique design and name, but they all fall into a certain category of personality and you can ask them if you can do them any favors in exchange for stuff or you can send them stuff in the mail and they'll show the letter off to you/other players who talk to them, but they're pretty 1-dimensional and I would not at all be opposed to trying to incorporate more of a friendship meter thing to actually measure a villager's relationship with you and perhaps letting you go do special events and activities with your friends, just something to give them more depth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Just a reminder if you're at all on the fence about FFXIV, the game is totally free with unlimited play from level 1 - 30 for all jobs.

That said, some jobs/classes can be more fun than others in that level range. Like if you've ever played an MMO before, maybe don't pick Lancer, because christ is that a boring class to play before you get Dragoon.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh, neat. never got round to the second but the first kicked rear end

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

One thing I hope Animal Crossing Switch does better is about being more respectful of your time. Animal Crossing New Leaf felt like a slow slog, doing anything from talking to your neighbors, to moving inventory around, to just exploring was way slower then it needed to be.

I still don't know how to actually unlock cyrus (I think that's his name, the blue llama), and I guess each player has to unlock him individually or something? I'm not sure. It just seemed kind of annoying for something like that to just take its sweet old time before letting you have access to it for no apparent reason.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not gonna lie, Luigi's Mansion 3 got me to want a switch. Saving up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

McDragon posted:

oh, neat. never got round to the second but the first kicked rear end

it's pretty good but they do a weird thing where they split things into a missions in such a way to make it longer and that kinda sucks

• Locked thread