Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The new episode on the Spanish-American War/American-Phillippines War is also really good, and dovetails perfectly with Matt Christman's Chapo episode on the history of fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The subject matter of the recent episodes on the Philippines and Yemen have a real "Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism" vibe.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Matt Christman's Chapo episode on the history of fascism.

Which episode is this?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Which episode is this?

The newest Patreon episode.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The new episode on the Spanish-American War/American-Phillippines War is also really good, and dovetails perfectly with Matt Christman's Chapo episode on the history of fascism.

Yeah I listened to these two back-to-back and noticed a lot of common themes between them (mainly racist european imperialism being ridiculously evil)

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

icantfindaname posted:

It's more of a long-term inevitability than an acute issue, which combines with America's slow withdrawal/being pushed out of the region. It won't happen in 5 or 10 years, but in 30 years it's likely there won't be much oil left and the US won't feel like investing resources to defend Saudi

Also they probably haven't pumped as much oil over the last 10 years as people thought they would at the time with oil at 100+ dollars a barrel

The timeline for the irrelevancy of the US-Saudi alliance is a lot faster than 30 years as new energy extraction has made the US much more energy secure. There just isn't the same need to fret over middle eastern oil now that there's a billion years worth of natural gas and shale ready for use in North America.

The Saudis are burning money faster than most people think. I really enjoy the Caspian Report youtube channel, which does a lot of rapid-fire geopolitical analysis, and their recent video on Saudi Arabia quotes their sovereign wealth fund declining from $700B to $500B in the past two or three years. That still sounds like a lot of money, but in the context of maintaining the future of a whole nation, not to mention a dumb war, a half-dozen slow-burning ethnic conflicts, and stand-off with Qatar and Iran, they're going bankrupt fast.

Often Abbreviated has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Sep 14, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Saudi Arabia is spending 10% of their GDP on military expenditures, and it's certain that with how much they're paying out to Yemeni forces and their own mercenaries (which they avoid paying as much as possible) it's way higher.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I follow Carl Zha's twitter and apparently he's been talking about a Russian-Chinese rapprochement after almost fifty years of rivalry and pics of joint russian-chinese military exercises. Is there anywhere I can read more about this because lol that's probably the biggest loving setback in US foreign policy of the century.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it was bound to happen eventually. China needs all that Russian gas, and they’ve got the border right there. there’s pretty much nothing the US can do about it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Yemen and now Spanish-American war episodes really are both top tier with excellent guests. I missed the earlier episodes on Britain and Saudi Arabia so I hadn't quite clued in on how much British policy impacted Islam, and how much effort went into homogenizing Islam during the 19th and 20th centuries to make Muslims in colonial nations easier subjects to rule.

Also didn't realize how much Qatar and Saudi were not just proxies for American power but specific American political dynasties (that seems to run along party lines, so far)

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Sep 15, 2018

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
To be honest I felt like that guy overplayed Britain's hand in developing an authoritarian version of Islam. You can look back through the history of Islam and find humanitarian and scientific schools competing with authoritarian ones dating back to when Britain was still a collection of angry painted tribes and petty kingdoms. The authoritarian version of Islam won out in so many places not because it was convenient for the UK, but because it was convenient for the authorities. Sultans and sheiks toyed with the nice version that created optics and medicine and rule of law, but when push came to shove the version of Islam that told the peasants to get back in line because this is all as God has designed it and disagreeing with your taxes, or the judge, or the kidnapping of your family members is disagreeing with God, was the one they ended up supporting. Britain is not behind every hosed up things in the world.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Often Abbreviated posted:

To be honest I felt like that guy overplayed Britain's hand in developing an authoritarian version of Islam. You can look back through the history of Islam and find humanitarian and scientific schools competing with authoritarian ones dating back to when Britain was still a collection of angry painted tribes and petty kingdoms. The authoritarian version of Islam won out in so many places not because it was convenient for the UK, but because it was convenient for the authorities. Sultans and sheiks toyed with the nice version that created optics and medicine and rule of law, but when push came to shove the version of Islam that told the peasants to get back in line because this is all as God has designed it and disagreeing with your taxes, or the judge, or the kidnapping of your family members is disagreeing with God, was the one they ended up supporting. Britain is not behind every hosed up things in the world.

Yeah, but they are behind empowering all those Sheikhs and making sure their positions would never be challenged even in the post-colonial world precisely because their authoritarian versions of Islam were convenient for imperialism. I'm sure if the British had known all that oil was underneath the Arabian peninsula they would've just annexed it outright, but the fact is that they set up the most reactionary elements of Arab society to have more money than God, which allowed them to crowd out other schools in the Sunni world.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The loving Brits should have supported the Hashemites after WWI

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I follow Carl Zha's twitter and apparently he's been talking about a Russian-Chinese rapprochement after almost fifty years of rivalry and pics of joint russian-chinese military exercises. Is there anywhere I can read more about this because lol that's probably the biggest loving setback in US foreign policy of the century.

That's really big, if true. China has been very bad about concealing its historical boner for Siberia and all its resources, and the temptation to just roll in and take it if Russia weakens juuust enough.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sephyr posted:

That's really big, if true. China has been very bad about concealing its historical boner for Siberia and all its resources, and the temptation to just roll in and take it if Russia weakens juuust enough.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-turns-to-russia-to-fix-big-military-weakness-during-war-games-2018-9

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The authoritarian version of Islam won out in so many places not because it was convenient for the UK, but because it was convenient for the authorities.

Both of these can be true at the same time, and probably were.

If the Saudi sovereign wealth fund is losing ~$100B a year, I can certainly see why we'd keep feeding them weapons to use on Yemen in order to scam as much as we can out of them before they go broke. As with the Iraq war, the big long-term winner is going to be Iran.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eh, even the freaking Sadrists and the other Iraqi Shia are now 100% on rejecting Iranian influence. Their embassy got torched alongside the US one.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Iran is going to win because they'll be a functioning civilization in a couple decades.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Iran is going to win because they'll be a functioning civilization in a couple decades.

Not if the insane environment damage brought by the fact that they must use decades old technology because of their sanctions can help it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
help me out here, I’m a new subscriber because ‘duh’ even though I have ever Ames/Dolan book I didn’t realize subscribers get the back catalog.

Philippine war ep, after the guest, they were talking about the Turkish invasion of actual liberal enclave ________ presumably in Syria.

WHAT IS THIS PLACE?

thanks, kind regards, post signing, etc.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Afrin. A region in NW Syria that is/was largely Kurdish and under control of Kudish forces until the Turkish army and jihadi auxiliaries took it over.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
great, makes sense from the news reports but I could not make my brain believe that’s what Ames was saying.

Still catching up, has there been a Going Postal discussion itt?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Afrin is also the biggest olive growing region in the country, and possibly the most valuable bit of agricultural land in general. There is zero chance that the Syrian and Turkish governments won't come to head over it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1042220622024126464

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Afrin is also the biggest olive growing region in the country, and possibly the most valuable bit of agricultural land in general. There is zero chance that the Syrian and Turkish governments won't come to head over it.
It can also cause rhinitis and is actually quite addictive.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

New Carl Zha episode. I'm excited.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

drat, a 3 hour episode lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao strong start

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sephyr posted:

I don't think there's any evidence at all that China wants to annex Siberia like out of a 19th Century yellow panic pamphlet or something. They don't need to, as long as the Russians will sell them whatever they want from there. Russia-China divisions have been greatly overplayed since the end of the Cold War, 1960 was a very long time ago

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

"China's armed forces are completely deprived of modern combat experience and have not fought since 1979."

dolan's favorite year strikes again

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
john dolan dying in the bathroom of a roman hippy grocer would be a pretty appropriate way to go out

coathat
May 21, 2007

The latest episode was a lot of fun which is to be expected with Greek war. They had a great chemistry with the guest too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm not sure if I missed it but I don't think they brought up Archimedes even once.

coathat
May 21, 2007

They didn’t and I have no idea how that managed to happen.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
To be fair, Archimedes was killed during the Roman invasion, not the Athenian one.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sure, but you'd figure they would joke about it since they're in Syracuse.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also they've hyped up talking about him in at least two previous episodes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

new ep up on franco-prussian war and the paris commune. the anecdote about the poor martyred Versailles officer who got shot because some street urchin was raised with the awful democratic idea that it's bad when people hit you was amazing. the rest is incredibly depressing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

new ep up on franco-prussian war and the paris commune. the anecdote about the poor martyred Versailles officer who got shot because some street urchin was raised with the awful democratic idea that it's bad when people hit you was amazing. the rest is incredibly depressing

I think they brought up that story in a previous episode. Maybe I missed it in this one.

But yeah it's a really good episode, especially if you don't know enough about the Commune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Britain is not behind every hosed up things in the world.

don't take this away from us

its all we have left