Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Have the pig poo poo lagoons been breached yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/sciam/status/1040336599492517888

Scientific American is surprisingly woke.

I mean it's basic poo poo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

like the rest of us, they save their serious drinking for the weekend

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

cspam has been saying this for years

abolish baloogan

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Opinion: people aren't talking about people who can't afford to leave when they make fun of people who want to "ride it out"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Al! posted:

Opinion: people aren't talking about people who can't afford to leave when they make fun of people who want to "ride it out"

how can they tell the difference? if I couldn’t afford to leave, my pride might move me to say it was by choice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
actually i lust for the death of old white people and hope the storm reaps many of them

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This was something that they had to announce. Remember last year in Florida when that sheriff was checking IDs at hurricane shelters to make sure there weren't any illegals?
https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/1040697877629157376

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

how can they tell the difference? if I couldn’t afford to leave, my pride might move me to say it was by choice

Yeah, most people aren't going to admit that they aren't leaving because they can't afford it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

Opinion: yes they are, even if they don't know it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The Purge except it's just hurricanes we caused

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Opinion:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

can someone get me a copy of jimmy buffett's bank statements so i can know if this is funny or not

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Thoguh posted:

This was something that they had to announce. Remember last year in Florida when that sheriff was checking IDs at hurricane shelters to make sure there weren't any illegals?

Hearts of gold

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Thoguh posted:

I would bet they will be though they will be.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Al! posted:

can someone get me a copy of jimmy buffett's bank statements so i can know if this is funny or not

It is only funny if he dies or causes a first responder to be used.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

I would bet they will be though they will be.

didn't they say this and do it anyway for maria

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

didn't they say this and do it anyway for maria

That would be the most effective way to be terrible so it is what I choose to believe

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thoguh posted:

That sounds like something someone says right before they raid an evacuation shelter.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Thoguh posted:

'except in the event of a serious public safety threat'

like maybe a massive hurricane

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mandoric posted:

'except in the event of a serious public safety threat'

like maybe a massive hurricane

It's only a cat2

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al! posted:

Jimmy Buffet is good and has historically donated an immense amount to hurricane recovery, specifically. His whole schtick relies on party beaches still existing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jimmy Buffet is good

mods

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BarstoolNewsN/status/1040691592791764993

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:laffo:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
is the evacuation plan literally just telling people to get the gently caress out or is there any actual help for people to leave

because if its the former then god drat america

e: mostly assuming its the former because everyone left behind seems to be black :thunk:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

XMNN posted:

is the evacuation plan literally just telling people to get the gently caress out or is there any actual help for people to leave

e: mostly assuming its the former because everyone left behind seems to be black :thunk:

lol what do you think

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

XMNN posted:

They're called Evacuation Orders. I know sometimes Busses get chartered, but for the most part they're not a plan to get everyone out, they're a "hey you should get the f outta here"

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

XMNN posted:

Sometimes they make both sides of the freeways run outbound only

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you can always live in an evac shelter for weeks as your landlord tries to collect rent for your flooded apartment filled with the floating remains of your ruined stuff

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.citylab.com/environment...source=facebook

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XMNN posted:

If you're part of the majority of Americans who don't have much money and cannot afford a 400$emergency thenceforth you will have to wait it out and die slow

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

you can always live in an evac shelter for weeks as your landlord tries to collect rent for your flooded apartment filled with the floating remains of your ruined stuff

Capitalism is so dumb

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

there's shelters set up but something like 90% of people go to a relative's house or a hotel. most counties run a shuttle to get people without a car

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
hieronymous alloy, ranting into the hurricane like king lear: "JIMMY BUFFETT IS GOOD"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

XMNN posted:

after katrina the leadership at every level ate poo poo for, among other things, a fleet of schoolbuses that were left to be flooded instead of being used to transport evacuees

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Addamere posted:

If you're part of the majority of Americans who don't have much money and cannot afford a 400$emergency thenceforth you will have to wait it out and die slow

Majority? Where the gently caress are you getting this?

Literally every person interviewed said they didn't want to leave because of inconvenience. People without transport could find it if they needed to. Most public transport was being offered free, and ride-sharing companies were arranging free rides to shelters. Again, a lot of people didn't want to -eww gross- hang out at a shelter with a bunch of other people. I'm not saying there weren't folks who absolutely had 0 resources to get out, but coastal NC isn't a majority of poor people with no credit cards or transportation. People could have gotten out, most did not want to. Those people are now needing assistance from first responders who could be helping the underprivileged people first.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

after katrina the leadership at every level ate poo poo for, among other things, a fleet of schoolbuses that were left to be flooded instead of being used to transport evacuees

and then nothing changed because that was a 1000-year freak storm that could never happen again right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The dragon/duck image says the primary pig farming area is going to experience "above 1000 year flooding"