Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sylphid posted:

Is baldurk still reachable at the admin@lparchive.org address? I sent an archival request about a month ago but I still haven't heard anything.

Yes. Gotta be patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Sylphid posted:

Is baldurk still reachable at the admin@lparchive.org address? I sent an archival request about a month ago but I still haven't heard anything.

Don't doubt the baldurk

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

chlorophylls posted:

Hi all. I've been entertaining the idea of doing an SSLP of Fate/Extra, so I cobbled together a test post here: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151909

I'm mostly looking for feedback on:

- Update length: Is the current length okay? In this particular update, it's just the very beginning of the in-game tutorial week, but it's Fate/, so things are bound to get wordy at times.
- Images: Size is native PSP resolution, so not sure if they're too small. I also ran some post-processing sharpening on my raw caps for text clarity's sake. Are the screenshots fine and readable?
- Commentary: Too much, too little, or just right? I don't plan on interjecting often (and when I do plan to, it's not sarcasm so much as "just here along for the ride"), since this game is basically a VN with boring gameplay segments so I'd rather let the script speak for itself for the most part.
- Any unspoken SSLP faux pas I might've committed, etc.

But I'd also appreciate pretty much any suggestions, advice, etc, too.

The obvious thing that jumps out at me is that having almost every sentence on a different line like this

quote:

Hmm? Why do you look surprised?
We announced at last week's assembly that this month the student council would strictly enforce school rules.
I have been tasked with performing inspections to ensure students are in compliance with school rules.
Now, it goes without saying that EVERYONE is subject to inspections, even old friends.
Now then, uniform inspection time. ...Collar, check! Pant hems, check! And your socks...check!
Next up is the contents of your bag...
Notebooks, textbooks, pencil box! Not even a whiff of contraband.
Your nails are evenly cut, and your haircut is sensible.
Indeed, quite remarkable.
You're a model Tsukumihara Academy student.
Someone like you ought to consider a future in student government. You'd be perfect for it.
Oh, but I'd never try to coerce you into joining the student council. We aren't like that.
Now then, off to your classroom! Enjoy your day.

Before I can reply, Mr. Diligent Student Council President is on to the next student's inspection.
Hungry for gossip on their way to their classrooms, the students jabber about the inspections.
Things are always so gently bustling in the morning.
Another peaceful beginning to another peaceful day.

is a little annoying and unnatural to read, at least for me. Since it's so long, I personally would probably split it in two or even three parts at suitable spots like so:

quote:

Hmm? Why do you look surprised? We announced at last week's assembly that this month the student council would strictly enforce school rules. I have been tasked with performing inspections to ensure students are in compliance with school rules. Now, it goes without saying that EVERYONE is subject to inspections, even old friends.

Now then, uniform inspection time. ...Collar, check! Pant hems, check! And your socks...check! Next up is the contents of your bag... Notebooks, textbooks, pencil box! Not even a whiff of contraband. Your nails are evenly cut, and your haircut is sensible. Indeed, quite remarkable. You're a model Tsukumihara Academy student.

Someone like you ought to consider a future in student government. You'd be perfect for it. Oh, but I'd never try to coerce you into joining the student council. We aren't like that. Now then, off to your classroom! Enjoy your day.

Before I can reply, Mr. Diligent Student Council President is on to the next student's inspection. Hungry for gossip on their way to their classrooms, the students jabber about the inspections. Things are always so gently bustling in the morning. Another peaceful beginning to another peaceful day.

Some people don't like repeating portraits but I at least find shorter chunks much more pleasant to read. You can also inject some commentary inbetween to break it up a bit - for example a brief explanation of who this person is and what they're like. If you've nothing to say then another good option is throwing in the occasional dialogue screenshot.

Overall if this is meant to be the first update, you could do with a lot more explaining and setting things up even if you otherwise want to keep commentary light. A solid OP will certainly help with that, but even so this thing starts completely suddenly and then just goes on with no explanation for what's going and who any of these people are. Also even if the gameplay's real basic stuff you should still give a basic overview of how that works and plays at the start.

You could also do with some more images to make things easier to follow, especially of you moving around and talking to people. While this is clearly a VN-like, it doesn't explain all the character's movements and actions the way a pure VN does so that's something you need to do yourself. In spots like these for example:

quote:

Well, catch you later! See you in class tomorrow!

[ Shinji turns and walks away. ]

(IMAGE OF YOU TALKING TO THE CLASSMATES)

Now that Shinji's done slinging some verbal abuse our way, we can talk to even more classmates.

Female Student: Guys always bolt when it's time to clean. The lies they tell to get out of helping are pathetic.

Male Student: One of my desks's legs is shorter than the others and it keeps shifting around. ARGH! It's driving me insane!

quote:

(IMAGE OF THE AREA WITH THE MULTIMEDIA ROOM ENTRANCE)

There's a Multimedia Room on this floor, but it's locked.

(OPTIONAL BIT OF COMMENTARY)

(IMAGE OF YOU HEADING TOWARDS THE ARCHERY RANGE)

There's nothing else of note on this floor for now. Time to go to the archery range.

(IMAGE OF WHEREVER IT IS YOU'RE AT NOW I DON'T KNOW AS A READER SINCE IT JUST JUMPS TO SOME DIALOGUE)

Male Student: Oh yeah, I heard we got a new teacher. Hopefully they’re nice, and not a total control freak.

quote:

Stop right there. I don’t care what you have to say. Stop going to that house, Sakura. Got it?!

(IF SHINJI LEAVES HERE, AN IMAGE OR MENTION THAT HE LEAVES)

(IMAGE OF YOU TALKING TO SAKURA)

After a scene like that, I just want to make sure she's okay.

Oh...! I-I mean... H-Hi... Can I help you with anything? If you ever start feeling unwell, please come by the nurse’s office.

Well, you get the idea. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who comes to this LP with zero knowledge beyond what you're providing, even if you know these people and locales to the point that showing and explaining them feels unnecessary, that's not going to be true for most of your audience. As it is this is a solid foundation but a little tough to follow.

On a technical level I don't seen any big issues, 2x resolution on a PSP goes past the 900px limit and at least in this update the graphics are simple enough that not much detail is lost here.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 31, 2018

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it, and agree with pretty much every point you've laid out. The "sentence every line" thing is a holdover from the text structure of the game itself, but you're right that it's wasting a lot of horizontal space and looks unnatural. I'll also look into GIF-making later tonight.

For the exposition/explanation, do you think it would be better for me to include explain characters on the Fate-verse level context, or just keep it confined to who they are in this particular game's universe?

What I mean is that Fate/Extra is an alternate universe of the "main" timeline in the Fate/ universe, and characters that are familiar to Fate/ fans here are technically alternate universe versions of their originals. (E.g. The Sakura in FSN was a major heroine with her own route but the Sakura here is just a bit character, the Shinji in FSN is a terrible person in many ways but the Shinji here isn't as terrible of a person because of different circumstances, etc etc.) This game is full of FSN references, with one major playable character in particular who remembers some of the events of the "main" Fate/ universe timeline and mentions them sometimes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You probably know better than me but if the game can mostly carry itself then personally that's where I'd focus on, only bringing up the connections when they're especially important and relevant. Like when a new character is first introduced I'd give a brief one-time explanation that they're based on character A whose personality was B playing the role of C, but for the most part leave it at that because people's interest in the main setting will obviously vary a lot and anyone already familiar with it doesn't need a detailed breakdown in the first place.

It again comes down to putting yourself in the role of the reader, pick stuff you feel enhances the LP and helps understand things and omit what doesn't. Not every reference needs to be explicitly pointed out, but if it's something especially important/clever and can be explained without requiring fourteen paragraphs of Fate lore which makes you sound like you have a shrine dedicated to Saber in your attic then maybe it's worth a mention.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Howdy doo, everybody. So a buddy of mine and I have been doing weekly LPs on YouTube for a good while now, and I’d like to get some input on how/if we can make our posts a bit more SA friendly or threadworthy or whatever, because as fun as it is to do, nobody’s watching our poo poo. :v:

We did a short test run of Ganbare Goemon recently to see if prerecording gameplay and adding commentary would work, though we’ve usually done everything live via join.me or PS shareplay and a capture card. This one’s a bit fancier than usual because I did it...in stereo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTC0lG8BMUA

I think I’m mostly looking for thoughts on what, if anything, I’d need to change up before making an OP for whatever we start up next. We’ve just been kind of winging it to this point with some minor improvements in our process here and there, but if anyone knows how we can be more LP friendly (length of videos etc) I’m all ears.

Some more examples:
Until Dawn
Grim Fandango
Actraiser

If we can make it work, we have something...fun? In mind, but I’ll keep that to myself for the sake of not making this into an interest check post. :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Your commentary is good, you seem to have great chemistry with your co-commentator, and you guys sound fine, I'd say go ahead and post.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never done an LP before. I'd like to do a thread about licensed wrestling games, spending a little bit of time on each one, with intermittent posts about wrestling-based but non-actual-wrestling games. Its entirely possible that this is too much for someone new but at the same time, I don't see many wrestling games get LPs here. I hope to add a little bit of trivia when I can, either about the games themselves or the wrestlers/companies involved.

I put together a test page HERE but some of the BBcode doesn't quite work there. I'm worried it's too busy and there is too much animation but at the same time, the first game on the chronological list doesn't have a lot of depth to it. I wouldn't post the thread itself until I have a few updates ready to go, so people don't read a short blurb about a lovely NES game then never come back.

Here is a tentative OP, with a severe lack of images. That might be OK for now, especially if the first page has a couple updates?

Also, is linking to a page with music files on a certain emulator site allowed? They don't host roms, only emulators, music and some other emulator adjacent things.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to make sure this modpack can run on other people's computers and not just mine with minimal assistance.

So if you've got RimWorld, and want to help me out, I would be really happy if you subscribed to my collection and PM / Message me with any errors you might have gotten.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1497767984

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A simple question hopefully.

From someone who has played the game, would Undertale work in a Blind VLP format or is it much better suited to screenshots/terrible to play blind.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 11, 2018

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Natural 20 posted:

Form someone who has played the game, would Undertale work in a Blind VLP format or is it much better suited to screenshots/terrible to play blind.

Blind is the ideal way to play Undertale (and you'll probably have to have a strictly enforced spoiler policy, because gently caress if people don't love to talk about the thing). VLP vs. SSLP is a matter of taste. It could work either way.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Considering how much it leans on silly animations, music ambiance and immediate emotional reactions, I'd say SSLP would be a pretty bad choice for the game.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

Form someone who has played the game, would Undertale work in a Blind VLP format or is it much better suited to screenshots/terrible to play blind.

It works pretty well as a blind VLP, I reckon - Undertale was always a fun game to watch people go blind into. There's sections of it better suited to video than screenshots, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You will get a legion of Undertale fans trying to control how you play the game, fair warning.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Geemer posted:

Considering how much it leans on silly animations, music ambiance and immediate emotional reactions, I'd say SSLP would be a pretty bad choice for the game.
The only LP on the archive is an SSLP, and it's very good.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Blind is the ideal way to play Undertale (and you'll probably have to have a strictly enforced spoiler policy, because gently caress if people don't love to talk about the thing). VLP vs. SSLP is a matter of taste. It could work either way.

For emphasis.

Watched someone who streamed it (thankfully they weren't going in blind) that had "NO SPOILERS" in the stream title. Usually the very minute someone pops in, asks if spoilers are permitted and proceeds to not wait for an answer before talking about something that was obviously a spoiler.

On the other hand, I remember that thread being well behaved, and FFVII's thread managed to keep is spoilers tamped down, so you should be fine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You will get a legion of Undertale fans trying to control how you play the game, fair warning.

I have dozens of fans trying to tell me how to play Symphony of the Night.

It's actually pretty great.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Doesn't matter what game you LP, there's always someone who knows better, no matter how little you care. It's great when your updates are recorded way in advance, maybe even the entire LP is and they try to "help".

Love it.

My favorite has to be someone trying to tell me how to play a game I didn't even play, I just watched AIs fight. The person was so embarrassed when I told them that they deleted their comment.

For real, if you have a problem with that, because I think it's annoying, when I see it in other threads or my own, just ask people not to backseat. It might reduce backseating like this by... say... 10%. Better than nothing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Natural 20 posted:

I have dozens of fans trying to tell me how to play Symphony of the Night.

It's actually pretty great.

I mean, that's not even remotely comparable considering telling someone how to play Undertale generally involves blowing a major reveal or otherwise ruining some kind of secret thing

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you're worried about spoilers in a thread you want to be spoil free, report any offending posts. We're pretty quick to respond.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What I know about Undertale fans is that they made Markiplier stop doing his LP of it because they kept harassing him over "playing the game wrong".

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't matter what game you LP, there's always someone who knows better, no matter how little you care. It's great when your updates are recorded way in advance, maybe even the entire LP is and they try to "help".

Love it.

My favorite has to be someone trying to tell me how to play a game I didn't even play, I just watched AIs fight. The person was so embarrassed when I told them that they deleted their comment.

For real, if you have a problem with that, because I think it's annoying, when I see it in other threads or my own, just ask people not to backseat. It might reduce backseating like this by... say... 10%. Better than nothing.

This has never happened to me. I don't know if that means I'm just that good, or just that irrelevant.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't matter what game you LP, there's always someone who knows better, no matter how little you care.
Ah, the Riho Futaba masters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

What I know about Undertale fans is that they made Markiplier stop doing his LP of it because they kept harassing him over "playing the game wrong".

Undertale fans also destroyed Oxxidation's old Undertale megathread in games with their endless bullshit. Well, UT fans and a certain poster who shall go nameless and who's since been banned from this sub.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Richard Gamingo, nooooooo!!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

nine-gear crow posted:

Undertale fans also destroyed Oxxidation's old Undertale megathread in games with their endless bullshit. Well, UT fans and a certain poster who shall go nameless and who's since been banned from this sub.

is it the same poster who also shat up the PYF fanart thread?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

is it the same poster who also shat up the [insert any title] thread?

Yes.

Blind Sally posted:

Richard Gamingo, nooooooo!!

Ringo Gabino is more than welcome back in this establishment provided he stops talking about how much he loves piss.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Leal posted:

He eventually livestreamed the rest of the game with a friend.

If you really want to do a blind VLP, the best thing to do is to record the entire playthrough in advance and post it later, sad to say. Also, don't let anyone know you're playing Undertale until you feel like you've gotten everything you want out of the game and you're ready to be told all the things you missed. That's the only way I managed to get through it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nidoking posted:

He eventually livestreamed the rest of the game with a friend.

If you really want to do a blind VLP, the best thing to do is to record the entire playthrough in advance and post it later, sad to say. Also, don't let anyone know you're playing Undertale until you feel like you've gotten everything you want out of the game and you're ready to be told all the things you missed. That's the only way I managed to get through it.

Oh, that's a shame I guess. It really wouldn't be possible for Tea and me given our schedules.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Natural 20 posted:

Oh, that's a shame I guess. It really wouldn't be possible for Tea and me given our schedules.

Do you mean streaming, or recording the whole thing in advance? You can probably survive posting the videos on the same schedule you've been doing for Castlevania if you have to. I'm paranoid enough that if I've heard people talk about a game, I assume that the moment I let slip that I'm interested in playing it, someone will tell me all the things that will ruin my enjoyment of the game on my terms. I never got anywhere in Xenoblade Chronicles for exactly that reason, and I'm still pissed off about it.

Undertale's the type of game where you'll find something new every time you play or watch someone else play. Some people don't seem to be capable of letting anyone do that at their own pace. You will absolutely get a ton of "Hey, now that you've seen something that casually hinted at the existence of this element, here's the complete wiki entry for it" and another ton of "You forgot to do X, now you're missing an entire section of the way I like to play the game" and a whole lot of "By the way, if you did this thing this way, here's what would happen" that people won't consider "spoilers" through some logic I'll never fathom. Even just having a co-commentator will probably fundamentally change your experience. That may be exactly what you want. I'm probably putting the game on a pedestal it doesn't deserve. But I think if there's a game where playing without outside influence is vital to the experience, Undertale is that game.

I'd love to see your blind playthrough - I've even watched Pewdiepie and Darksydephil play through the game because it's that much fun to see people play it for the first time. But I also watched Markiplier abandon the game for a long time due to viewer backlash (and when he did resume, basically said "screw it, I'll just let the chat steer me through the rest of the game"), and put off playing the game myself for months after it came out because I was sick of hearing about it before I'd even added it to my Steam account. In the end, don't let me talk you out of doing something you want to do the way you want to do it. Just be aware of what people are likely to say when you do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I'm probably putting the game on a pedestal it doesn't deserve.

If you are, then so is like 75% of the internet.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

So, I've been doing setup for a Let's Play of Puyo Puyo Tetris (god, has that been an adventure), and I've just finished the first update.

Here are the test posts for the OP and the first update.

My main questions are as follows.
  1. Have I made any mistakes? I got caught off guard by the 900px limit and had to rush to create a new set of screenshots obeying it. (In fact, is that even documented anywhere? I wish I had known about that before I had made the portraits.) So if you see any typos, bad formatting, stray pixels on a portrait, off-colored screenshots, etc. could you point them out to me?
  2. Does my commentary work for the game? My parents say I have a good sense of humor, but they're in their fifties, and even with them I have a habit of making convoluted and obscure jokes. So I took the 'throw everything at a wall and see what sticks' approach to humor. If I made a joke I shouldn't have, spectacularly failed at humor at some point in a way that impacted the quality of the update, or conversely you actually laughed at some part of my commentary.
  3. Does the format I have for the updates work, or does it need a rework?
  4. Were you feeling lost at points during the update? I want this to be humorous but informative, and losing readers would hurt both objectives.
This is my first LP, and I really want to do this game justice, so I want feedback.

I feel I won't have done it justice if I produce a subpar LP, and I know from my coding experience that problems could be staring me right in the face and I would fail to see them, so please tell me what worked and what didn't.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

So, I've been doing setup for a Let's Play of Puyo Puyo Tetris (god, has that been an adventure), and I've just finished the first update.

1. Have I made any mistakes? I got caught off guard by the 900px limit and had to rush to create a new set of screenshots obeying it. (In fact, is that even documented anywhere? I wish I had known about that before I had made the portraits.) So if you see any typos, bad formatting, stray pixels on a portrait, off-colored screenshots, etc. could you point them out to me?
  2. Does my commentary work for the game? My parents say I have a good sense of humor, but they're in their fifties, and even with them I have a habit of making convoluted and obscure jokes. So I took the 'throw everything at a wall and see what sticks' approach to humor. If I made a joke I shouldn't have, spectacularly failed at humor at some point in a way that impacted the quality of the update, or conversely you actually laughed at some part of my commentary.
  4. Were you feeling lost at points during the update? I want this to be humorous but informative, and losing readers would hurt both objectives.
This is my first LP, and I really want to do this game justice, so I want feedback.

I feel I won't have done it justice if I produce a subpar LP, and I know from my coding experience that problems could be staring me right in the face and I would fail to see them, so please tell me what worked and what didn't.

I think your video links need to be going to polsy.org.uk rather than polsy.co.uk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's looking pretty good so far. You seem like you've got a handle on it, though my only advice would be to transpose the formatting on the italics. Have your regular commentary be in normal formatting and description of in-game action not captured in the screenshots be italicized. It's easier to read that way and you're less likely to bump up against the BBCode limit on possibly longer posts with less italicizing.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

dscruffy1 posted:

I think your video links need to be going to polsy.org.uk rather than polsy.co.uk.

:doh: Well, at least with my current approach that shouldn't take long to fix.

nine-gear crow posted:

Have your regular commentary be in normal formatting and description of in-game action not captured in the screenshots be italicized. It's easier to read that way and you're less likely to bump up against the BBCode limit on possibly longer posts with less italicizing.

Huh, I had never thought of that. That's gonna take longer to implement, but holy crap that will be like a hundred times easier for me to write. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops this should go in it's own post.

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 15, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Because I believe in just hammering out drafts until I've fixed everything, here's the fixed post with 100% less broken video links and the revised commentary style. Any other problems as I detailed in the first post, or am I good to go for a first update?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Video links are still broken for me, but at least they're getting to the Polsy website. Rather than just putting in the youtube video ID, you need to put in the entire youtube url.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

dscruffy1 posted:

Video links are still broken for me, but at least they're getting to the Polsy website. Rather than just putting in the youtube video ID, you need to put in the entire youtube url.

Really?

Must've gotten the wrong impression...

Welp, watch this space soon for yet another revision.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

First of all, thanks for picking up an LP of this game! I've been holding off buying Puyo Puyo Tetris for a bit because I know if I buy a game now without finishing my other one (Spla2n) I'll never get to finishing either of them. This is definitely a great way to tide me over until then.

The informative stuff is great to have because I, and most likely many others, have only played Tetris casually, or in single-player mode games. I'd suggest putting a blurb about whether you are going to 100% the game (get 3 stars for all stages I assume) or not, just to make things clear.

re: your commentary, well...to borrow your metaphor, you filled up the wall, then you scraped some off the wall and, um, stuck it back on?? Point is there was way too much commentary in your update, to the point where Ringo would say one small sentence and you would follow up with three more. The pacing is a crawl at best, and you make it feel even slower by repeating your jokes several times. You have a good sense of humor, just don't go overboard with it.

No one else has mentioned it though so it might be just me :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

limeicebreakers posted:

First of all, thanks for picking up an LP of this game! I've been holding off buying Puyo Puyo Tetris for a bit because I know if I buy a game now without finishing my other one (Spla2n) I'll never get to finishing either of them. This is definitely a great way to tide me over until then.

The informative stuff is great to have because I, and most likely many others, have only played Tetris casually, or in single-player mode games. I'd suggest putting a blurb about whether you are going to 100% the game (get 3 stars for all stages I assume) or not, just to make things clear.

re: your commentary, well...to borrow your metaphor, you filled up the wall, then you scraped some off the wall and, um, stuck it back on?? Point is there was way too much commentary in your update, to the point where Ringo would say one small sentence and you would follow up with three more. The pacing is a crawl at best, and you make it feel even slower by repeating your jokes several times. You have a good sense of humor, just don't go overboard with it.

No one else has mentioned it though so it might be just me :eng99:

First: thanks! Second: yeah I thought I put in a bit too much commentary. I was having a lot of fun writing the commentary, but I definitely felt that the update was a bit strained. I suppose my main question to you then is: what worked? Knowing what amused you or actually worked would help me a lot on the 'cutting down on commentary' stuff.

Honestly, some of that stuff was just because there were two screenshots in a row and sometimes the reason there are two screenshots in a row is that the designers put in a nice touch in the second cutscene that prevented me from getting a usable Ringo portrait for a pose she first has in that. I thought that two images in a row looked cramped on the test poster. If two images in a row doesn't look funny then I'll cut the commentary filling the gaps. One downside of my setup is that I have no idea how large my update is going to end up, so keeping my update small will prevent me from going over the 50k character limit.

Again, thanks! ...Although I should probably update my initial post. I've been trying to fix broken video links for two revisions now so having the later revisions on that post would be useful for people who come later.

Anyway, here's the revised OP and first update. And dscuffy1, if the video links are still broken, could you give me a primer on the general format of a polsy link? Because I'm starting to get really annoyed by the broken links.