Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Similarly, what the gently caress happens to Champ when he becomes OushiBlack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Not much, his arms and legs don't even get a suit.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Everyone knows that there's extradimensional space inside the suits which is why non-humans always demorph when the suit is breached, unlike humans which can still operate in the confines of the suit if it's breached.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He's a robot, can just assume it all folds up or something

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not much, his arms and legs don't even get a suit.

He gets a neck, though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If Justin and Kou can morph from children into adults and it not bother them, Kruger can go through his own body horror and be pretty alright.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

If Justin and Kou can morph from children into adults and it not bother them, Kruger can go through his own body horror and be pretty alright.

what happens if one of these guys gets a broken helmet though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Adult Wesley from that one episode of tng

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Justin at least would just deflate, I think. Little kid in a big suit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

We've seen Justin without his helmet, the suit just shrinks back down to kid size.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Everyone talks about Kruger but no one talks about how Torin loses his wings in transformation, despite actually using them for an attack. And Garu goes through the same thing as Kruger.

Being a non-human Ranger is weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine the real reason why Cruger just demorphs instead of getting helmetless shots is because his animatronics were impossible to rig up with the ranger suit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Everyone talks about Kruger but no one talks about how Torin loses his wings in transformation, despite actually using them for an attack. And Garu goes through the same thing as Kruger.

Being a non-human Ranger is weird.

Also on the subject of Kyuranger, Raptor slims down considerably when she morphs and Shou has the same "how does his head fit into the helmet" problem that Kruger, Garu and to a lesser extent Torin do.

Honestly I think J from Go-Busters is the only non-human Ranger (aside from ones where the suit literally is their body like Ninjaman, Signalman and GoseiKnight) who doesn't have some kind of issue as, like Nick points out in his debut, he doesn't "transform" so much as he just strips off a few parts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 14, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shift into Car Wars!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 15, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man, Carol Hoyt is ok, but just doesn't compare to Hillary Shepherd Turner. Glad she comes back halfway through, she's the best acted/most fun villain in the Saban era IMO.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There was a dude online in the day who was defensive about Hoyt’s Divatox performance. And to be fair, most of the complaining was “where the gently caress did the boobs go”, and when Hoyt returned she wasn’t pregnant anymore so she wasn’t flaunting cleavage like that anymore, either.

Hoyt is doing a fairly traditional Power Rangers villain to this point, sort of like Rita. Turner’s Divatox is much more shmaltzy and seems to not be aware that she’s a villain. And a villain that seems to not see themselves as a villain is not only more entertaining for adults, but it sort of works with both her eventual status as another Dark Specter underling trying to impress the boss, and eventually as a corrupted/brainwashed(?) person.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In retrospect it's obvious that the Megazord manual is a Carranger gag because it seems super weird and out of place.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, the first episode and you can already see how Turbo was just a bunch of bad ideas. Justin, Alpha 6, Tommy's sudden interest in cars, and a genuine lack of effort in using the original material and the new material together.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, the first episode and you can already see how Turbo was just a bunch of bad ideas. Justin, Alpha 6, Tommy's sudden interest in cars, and a genuine lack of effort in using the original material and the new material together.

Not to mention the fact that they took what was largely a more comedic season and tried to make something somewhat serious out of it. Fortunately after the cast change they started embracing the goofy nature of the Sentai a little more and things improved a bit.

Now granted, Carranger is one of my favorite Sentai shows (which is ironic seeing as Turbo was about the point I initially started losing interest in PR as a kid) but yeah, I agree the two sets of material don't really mesh that well together (initially at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 14, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That fast scroll of the screenplay or wiki article or whatever was brilliant

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That fast scroll of the screenplay or wiki article or whatever was brilliant

Thank you, A.I. Borgland Corn.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the fact that they took what was largely a more comedic season and tried to make something somewhat serious out of it. Fortunately after the cast change they started embracing the goofy nature of the Sentai a little more and things improved a bit.

Now granted, Carranger is one of my favorite Sentai shows (which is ironic seeing as Turbo was about the point I initially started losing interest in PR as a kid) but yeah, I agree the two sets of material don't really mesh that well together (initially at least).

Also the Red Ranger's exaggerated poses which weren't as much of a thing before.

It reminds me of Dino Charge. I know it's well-regarded as an adaptation but when I saw Red morphed all I could think was that all that hyperactive jumping and dancing was definitely a different character from Tyler unmorphed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Caphi posted:

Also the Red Ranger's exaggerated poses which weren't as much of a thing before.

It reminds me of Dino Charge. I know it's well-regarded as an adaptation but when I saw Red morphed all I could think was that all that hyperactive jumping and dancing was definitely a different character from Tyler unmorphed.

Funnily enough the morphed version seems closer to Brennan Mejia whose pastime seems to be "Hey is it alright if I do a handstand on that?"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Making something serious out of it was fine. But the repeated bomb plots were terrible, and so is the focus on Elgar as a hybrid Goldar/Rito who is utterly incompetent but supposedly dangerous; probably because his suit is the most mobile so he has to be the one who gets his hands dirty. That just undermines their own narrative.

I always sum up the next twelve episodes or so as:
“ELLGAAAAAR!!!!! DETONATORSSSS!!!!”

Finally, the show’s shooting schedule around this time seemed to be such that they couldn’t have Divatox and the Rangers on the battlefield together. She was cooped up in a sub as if all her segments for a whole season were filmed on the same weekend. It’s unfortunate because Divatox done right is as funny as Zedd was while having the benefits of facial expressions. And when the mid season break is over and the rangers run around the sub as tiny people with her trying to step on them or eat them, Divatox is just a much more enjoyable character.

Aside from the Sentai sequence everyone talks about, people actually like her little subplot in the pizza parlor episode. She really needs a foil, and just looking at her periscope and yelling at Elgar only goes so far.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 15, 2018

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I do eventually need to watch Turbo again, but I keep putting it off. I’ve watched half of Carranger and it’s actually really fun. The team is a pretty cute bunch, the baby from Dinosaurs is the mentor, what’s not to love? Zonette is a great villainess.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

From what I've seen of the previews, one of the episodes involves Blue Senturion fighting the rangers because they called him out for wearing an ugly jacket.

He keeps said jacket when he fights the Megazord.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think in the American version they say it's like a jacket of reverse alignment. My favorite thing about Blue Centurion is how he can't be turned evil and about %50 of his eps are about Divatox finding a loophole to turn him evil.

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1040963457682747392?s=19

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That looks new

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're premium FigArts figures, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... no?

They lack joints entirely.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Divatox executes the most successful "make evil Ranger clones" plan yet.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, Divatox executes the most successful "make evil Ranger clones" plan yet.

Nah, I'd say that guy in season 2 that cut Tommy's hair

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No one has ever cut Tommy's hair. To this day, he rocks a queue long enough to drag behind him.

To suggest otherwise... only you can I never forgive!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah turbo going strong so far. I think these minimalist versions might be the optimal way to watch them

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Eddie Whitson posted:

Nah, I'd say that guy in season 2 that cut Tommy's hair

The Wizard of Deception made an evil ranger, then followed up with lovely rats. Chromite turned the rangers' powers into evil rangers, then followed up with imprisonment. I stand by what I said. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tommy has had short hair since Forever Red.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was chromite the carranger Mook?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Al Borland Korn posted:

A Carranger mook yes. More of them show up later which makes it weird they decided to use one as a MotW here. Fun Fact: This episode is nearly 100% American footage and one of the few (if not only) times they actually used the Turbo Megazord suit in American footage aside from the movie.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 18, 2018

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Al Borland Korn posted:

Is there a good reason why Power Rangers stopped using sentai's foot soldiers? Seems like it would limit their ability to use sentai footage without much payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

roffels posted:

Is there a good reason why Power Rangers stopped using sentai's foot soldiers? Seems like it would limit their ability to use sentai footage without much payoff.

I guess they just thought some of them were too goofy for use in the show on a regular basis

Personally I've always been of the opinion that trying to do much original stuff for the suit scenes is usually a mistake as it's rarely done well and often causes unneeded complications(like a lot of the issues they had for seasons 2, 3, Turbo, and Lost Galaxy could have been avoided if they had done more straight adaptations instead of trying to be "clever")