Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Now they're all high schoolers congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked FFXIV's 1-50 story and loved Heavenswards and I did not give a single flippin' dang about Stormblood's. The environments were great and a couple of the villains were cool but I kind of hated all the good guys.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

Squall knew he couldn't handle Quistis.

Quistis is extremely into vore so it was the right move

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I am into Japanese city pop now, thanks YouTube algorithms

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Shibuya-kei. I like Pizzicato Five. I like this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1k6J6U-RTo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

What are you trying to replicate

this is a neat series of posts: http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

basically the super game boy is doing more than just playing gb games on the tv, but less than the gb color would eventually do

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Plastic Love has been a forced meme in Brasil for months like Toto - Africa and Despacito have been out there so I'm going to guess it began spreading

Good songs though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i hope luigi's mansion 3 is closer to the first game in having a huge explorable mansion with a ton of weird poo poo hidden around it cause luigi's mansion 2 sounded very not like what i wanted from a luigi's mansion sequel

Revisiting it, there's not a lot going on in the first game's mansion in contrast to the second game where you only visit chunks but they change in pretty dynamic ways and there are a lot of clever puzzles and encounters. But the sequel lacks a lot of the charm because you're only fighting boos and not the truly cool inhabitants from the first game. So the solution would be maintaining the personality of the first with the puzzle design of the second but Nintendo will probably take the wrong lessons from both and do something completely different.

Dark Moon actually had good multiplayer, it was like a pseudo roguelike co-op dungeon crawler

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like luigis mansion but id rather play resident evil with a luigi skin hacked in

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I remember Luigi's Mansion 2 having a ton more puzzles than the first and not enough ghost hunting and finding it pretty middling because of that (and the on rails boss), but it's been years since I played it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Verranicus posted:

I really don't get the hate for 1-50 FFXIV. I've leveled half a dozen characters through it and it's better than any other MMOs leveling experience.

Surely you can agree that 1-30 at least is painfully slow if you've ever played an MMORPG before?

I absolutely haaaaaate having to level my alt jobs up to like level 50. You have like all of 2 loving abilities, its just so slow and boring.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like Shibuya-kei. I like Pizzicato Five. I like this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1k6J6U-RTo

I guess I was watching a Let's Play of Yakuza 0 so I couldn't really focus on the music, but I feel like there should have been more of this. I only remember Miracle Johnson and that one band where the guy "never even saw a boob"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Rinoa might be my favorite FF character so when Squall came around on her I was more "loving finally" than examining the relationship for toxicity

e: also I think it's pretty reasonable to have a sudden realization that you were kinda being a dick to someone who just almost died, though I don't remember if that was actually the turning point cause it's been a while

yeah but for 2 discs up to that point he's just maximum angst and she's like the perfect manic pixie dream girl that dotes on him and puts up with his bs even though he shows zero interest.

Squall is this kid who just listens to Linkin Park 24/7.

E: Cloud was arguably worse though lmao, and I do enjoy 7 and 8 a lot. Just sayin'

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess I was watching a Let's Play of Yakuza 0 so I couldn't really focus on the music, but I feel like there should have been more of this. I only remember Miracle Johnson and that one band where the guy "never even saw a boob"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IernJ-2gZ_U

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

god this song is such a fuckin banger

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grapplejack posted:

god this song is such a fuckin banger

:yeah:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

yeah but for 2 discs up to that point he's just maximum angst and she's like the perfect manic pixie dream girl that dotes on him and puts up with his bs even though he shows zero interest.

Squall is this kid who just listens to Linkin Park 24/7.

E: Cloud was arguably worse though lmao, and I do enjoy 7 and 8 a lot. Just sayin'

Squall needs someone who doesn't listen to him when he says "stop talking to me please" for his character arc to function. Also he's hot and Rinoa is a teenager so I dunno I feel like it works

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This owns, thank you

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

The disco songs are burned into my head because I was so bad at them for so long until something clicked in my brain.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

PYF 80s Japanese music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjiRJjfJhXA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’m pretty sure I had every other song nailed In terms of what real 80s song they were knocking off, but I’m drawing a blank on this one. Any ideas? Wham!?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dragon quest 11 or spiderman if I am going to get one game?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

well ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV731uUQQKQ

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like that super depends on what you like because they aren't remotely similar

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am a big jrpg fan but Spiderman does look really good.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Dragon Quest XI is a much longer game, if that sways your opinion either way.

Both games are fantastic. If I had to pick one it'd be DQXI, but I am having a ton of fun web slinging around Manhattan.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Spiderman feels to me like it's much more likely to get a deep discount/be a ps+ bonus in the future

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Squall needs someone who doesn't listen to him when he says "stop talking to me please" for his character arc to function. Also he's hot and Rinoa is a teenager so I dunno I feel like it works

It definitely does work but it just seems like a bad cliche. Oooh he's a sexy bad boy who doesn't show affection, she should save him! Like IDK not the best role models.

Its all based on anime tropes that were popular at the time and also not particularly healthy images of relationships imo.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It just needed to be built up more in the lead-up, I think.

The other thing that's bad about the game is the ending

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

I went spiderman and wish i went dq.

Spideemans traversal is cool but the world is shallow
Main story also full of really bad non spiderman missions and it really meanders for a long time in the first half
Combat is cool but its all the game has to stand on for missions aside from qte spam and rudimentary stealth so you get tired of it after a while and there some customization you can mess with but im 15 hours in and over it.

Now i dont want to poo poo on it too much cause its fun to be spiderman. 8.5/10

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Relax Or DIE posted:

Spiderman feels to me like it's much more likely to get a deep discount/be a ps+ bonus in the future
Probably won't before a while though, the game is selling really well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiderman helps the cops, the dragon questers fight against the cops, or so I understand.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
dragons are definitely cops

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

Probably won't before a while though, the game is selling really well.

Sony has a greatest hits label for ps4 already and will probably do a 20 dollar version like theyve done for their other big exclusives. Hzd got one right? Like within 18 months post launch

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It might be a while for Spiderman, but for DQ I'd guess 'never' is more likely.

Spiderman seems good, but a good version of the ur-game everyone keeps making so at least for me, waiting for it to get cheap/free is the best move

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hunt11 posted:

Do you like turn-based JRPGs? It is a frankly incredible one but it's still, you know, attack, cast spell, fight monster with pun name

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The familiarness of dq is very appealing to me and the stories usually have metal poo poo happening to cute gokus so im hype to get to it soon but likely after fist of the north yakuza

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

:yosnice:

As for FF8 chat, in retrospect I really like how bold that game was. Stuff like the junction system and having shitloads of hidden sidequests that you had to actively go looking for, etc.

At the same time, I can't get over how poo poo fuckingly retarded the game's premise was. "Yeah, these whiny teenagers are the world's most elite military force, also the evil sorceress is actually our adoptive mother but we forgot because our summoned monsters selectively erase our memories"

I had to abandon a replay around the time Squall & co. were shot into space, I just couldn't take it anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't forget the fact that Irving didn't forget, he just didn't mention it because he didn't think it was important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As much as I'm in love with it I'm perfectly willing to describe FF8 as my favorite bad game

When I was playing it i used the phrase "fantastic despite being terrible"

• Locked thread