Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I never quite understood the idea of, "if I know how this ends, this is pointless."

You show up at your friend's house one day to find his yard on fire, a headless woman in full Soviet regalia in the street, three dogs chained to a lone fence post (also in the street), and your friend in a blood-stained leotard holding a rake in one hand and his ear in the other. He spots you, his face slurring between panic and relief, and he runs to meet you.
You: "I'm gonna stop you right there, pal."

The problem is not that we know the ending, lots of works of fictions are better specifically because the audience know how it's going to end. The problem is that they're developing things that have no mystery, that serve no purpose. Scenes which are simply "Do you remember this thing from Breaking Bad" should be short and to the point, not half an episode. We all already watched Breaking Bad.

What I want is more of Jimmy, Kim and Nacho, and less of Gus, Hector and Mike.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think the point of the superlab plot is Mike coming to terms with the fact that he is working for the cartel now. Kai is going to do something stupid, like leave the warehouse to go to a strip club. Mike will catch him, and tell Gus to send him back to Germany with no pay. Gus will want to kill him instead, and Mike will need to decide whether he should leave (incurring Gus' wrath) or go full henchman. Remember that right now he is just a "consultant" who knows how to run covert construction projects.

Of course if you don't care about Mike Doing Things or even Mike Having An Arc, then you probably won't care about this either, so :shrug:

(monologue was bad)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
edit:^^ I took too long! ^^

I'm supposing Mike's storyline at this point is to tell how he goes from "hardass advisor" to "go-to hitman." Which I'm also supposing involves Gus and why Mike decides to kill people for him. As another poster mentioned, he killed his son's killers but he's still not quite to the point of "Sure, I'll kill whoever you need me to." Nacho presently has that relationship with Gus, but Mike doesn't. Something gotta give. There also must be a pretty good reason for why he goes back to and sticks with Saul as his lawyer. Seeing as how Saul's aware of Gus through Mike, I'm supposing there's going to be an issue that forces Mike to seek legal council and divulge to Saul on Gus, since Mike isn't exactly the sort to give information unnecessarily in either BCS or BB.

I'm supposing.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Back when Stacey first mentioned Mike pouring concrete for his own car park when Matty was a kid, I thought Mike did it to cover up a body (dirty cop). Now that we saw the flashback of it happening, I'm gonna bet on Kai getting the cement bath.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Das Boo posted:

I never quite understood the idea of, "if I know how this ends, this is pointless."

You show up at your friend's house one day to find his yard on fire, a headless woman in full Soviet regalia in the street, three dogs chained to a lone fence post (also in the street), and your friend in a blood-stained leotard holding a rake in one hand and his ear in the other. He spots you, his face slurring between panic and relief, and he runs to meet you.

Ultimately we know that everyone eventually dies. Therefore nothing matters, there’s no tension. :emo:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I didn't care for Band of Brothers. It was pretty clear from episode 2 or 3 they were going to win the war.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kuiperdolin posted:

I didn't care for Band of Brothers. It was pretty clear from episode 2 or 3 they were going to win the war.

C’mon dude, spoiler that poo poo! :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Das Boo posted:

To be fair this is a dexter ripoff and not a prequel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nude posted:

I think this season finale will show us what happens with Jimmy and Kim.

Although to the show's credit I have no clue what that will be. They hinted at the partner thing again and perhaps something there will be the last straw for Jimmy.
It feels like they may be done by the end of this season. Or at least in the process of breaking up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Kim was dead the whole time or never existed. She was a tyler durden projection of his good side

Maybe she happens to look like his first wife who he killed just spitballing

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I think Kai is going to get out of there, get into a spot of legal trouble, and Mike will need Jimmy to sort it out while he figures out how to make him disappear.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alan Smithee posted:

Kim was dead the whole time or never existed. She was a tyler durden projection of his good side

Maybe she happens to look like his first wife who he killed just spitballing

Jimmy dies and Kim becomes Saul. Only explanation for why he looks younger X years later.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone in the BB universe is Benjamin Button, obviously.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Final shot of BCS Jimmy is sitting at table in food court, opens newspaper, begins weeping, camera pulls back to reveal headline:

SCIENTISTS PROVE ELECTROMAGNETIC SENSITIVITY REAL: Batteries Store Chemical Potential Energy, Not Active Current, Would Not Be Real Test Disproving Condition

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alan Smithee posted:

his first wife who he killed just spitballing

Your lack of punctuation here implies a fantastic death.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Final shot of BCS Jimmy is sitting at table in food court, opens newspaper, begins weeping, camera pulls back to reveal headline:

SCIENTISTS PROVE ELECTROMAGNETIC SENSITIVITY REAL: Batteries Store Chemical Potential Energy, Not Active Current, Would Not Be Real Test Disproving Condition

But that just proves that chuck was crazy!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dr. Despair posted:

But that just proves that chuck was crazy!

I know that stoves have to be on to be hot. Doesn't make me crazy for doing a terrified touch and retreat when I'm not sure.

But yeah, he crazy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

The problem is not that we know the ending, lots of works of fictions are better specifically because the audience know how it's going to end. The problem is that they're developing things that have no mystery, that serve no purpose.

Right. Telling a human story within an event that has an utterly knowable ending (any war movie, for example) can, and often does, work because the mysteries presented relate to the fate of the characters, not to the ultimate world state ending. There's no mystery in showing us the superlab construction, other than the tepid hint of "something with this guy Kai is gonna go bad but it won't actually cause anything to fail".

Not to say I'm not enjoying all parts of the show, but I am definitely enjoying the Jimmy stuff exponentially more than the Mike/Gus stuff, and it feels like the former should be getting more screentime and the latter should be getting less.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Again, Mike is going to become a hitman from this. We don't know how. Mike is going to form a lasting legal relationship with Saul. We don't know why. Mike is going to confide in Saul information about Gus. We don't know why.

If I were a writer given these pieces, I might spin a story about Gus and Mike's operation being compromised, Mike taking a dive and Saul getting Mike out of an impossible situation, solidifying Gus's trust in Mike, leading to Mike and Saul's relationship as it is in BB and providing Jimmy with the confidence and fortitude to become Saul. But I'm not a writer, so this'll probably just never come together in any meaningful way! :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

You know who were a color bunch of people? Mike's Guys. The Hazard Pay people. Chow and all them.

How those guys get mixed up in this would be more interesting than Superlab construction.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As much as I love the show I would be really interested in backstory on Chow and his loud rear end wife.

One of the funniest parts of BB to me was when Chow’s wife yelled at him for like 10 seconds and Chow says “she says yes.” The way it was set up is way funnier than I’m describing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I want to know if Jimmy’s ex-wife is real.

It could be a thing he tosses into his spiels for effect, but I could also see a young Slippin’ Jimmy getting into a failed marriage while very young.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Das Boo posted:

Again, Mike is going to become a hitman from this. We don't know how. Mike is going to form a lasting legal relationship with Saul. We don't know why. Mike is going to confide in Saul information about Gus. We don't know why.

Sure, but that doesn't mean the show is immune to criticism about how they're choosing to show that. Why the superlab? What unique thing about the superlab construction plot is there other than "oh it's a reference to something I'll see in BB"

And again there's nothing wrong with that if it's done well, but imo the Mike/Gus stuff has been way less interesting than the Jimmy/Kim/Howard stuff and is only getting moreso the less we see Nacho (go team Nacho)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

As much as I love the show I would be really interested in backstory on Chow and his loud rear end wife.

One of the funniest parts of BB to me was when Chow’s wife yelled at him for like 10 seconds and Chow says “she says yes.” The way it was set up is way funnier than I’m describing.

I don't think they ever established that was his wife

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

precision posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean the show is immune to criticism about how they're choosing to show that. Why the superlab? What unique thing about the superlab construction plot is there other than "oh it's a reference to something I'll see in BB"

And again there's nothing wrong with that if it's done well, but imo the Mike/Gus stuff has been way less interesting than the Jimmy/Kim/Howard stuff and is only getting moreso the less we see Nacho (go team Nacho)

I thought Tyrus talking about the infection meant Nacho, not Hector, then I got all excited for a Nacho scene where Gus basically looms over him like the goddamn reverse grim reaper and tells him he can't die yet because he has more work to do.

Then we got that aforementioned masturbatory Gus scene, which I still liked, but drat I miss Nacho.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nacho, despite being a "main character", will never be a main character. From the getgo he disappeared from the series for stretches of time, only to get shuffled off into a supporting role of a different main character.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Das Boo posted:

Imagine hearing every detail of that story and then the friend says, "But wait! I forgot to tell you how the rake was made."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

i am the bird posted:

Imagine hearing every detail of that story and then the friend says, "But wait! I forgot to tell you how the rake was made."

If he selects the rake as something worthy of a story, I anticipate it's something out of the norm.

If Mike's story is smooth sailing and never comes back around to anything involving Jimmy, I'll concede it was a big waste of time.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I want to know if Jimmy’s ex-wife is real.

It could be a thing he tosses into his spiels for effect, but I could also see a young Slippin’ Jimmy getting into a failed marriage while very young.

We know he has at least one ex-wife. The whole Chicago sunroof incident happened because some guy named Chet slept with her.

He mentions a "second ex-wife" in Breaking Bad who slept with his stepfather. No telling whether that's true or not, but at the time of Breaking Bad we were certainly meant to take it as true. Saul's a professional liar, not a pathological one. The bizarre anecdotes about his past were supposed to contribute to our image of Saul as a guy who's lived a long, colorful, sleaze-filled life. The Kevin Costner story certainly turned out to be true. There's really no compelling reason for him to make up random poo poo like that. Just saying "He made it up" would be kind of unsatisfying and not as fun.

Gilligan apparently feels the same way which is why he found that line so tricky:

quote:

"I'll tell you a tricky one. Off the top of my head, there was some casual reference Saul Goodman made way back in Breaking Bad about being married twice or three times or something like that. That one has bedeviled us for sure. It was just a goofy throwaway line in an episode of Breaking Bad where Saul Goodman talked about his second wife or some such and that has bedeviled us. We're trying to figure that one out. When did he a wife? And who was the second wife? Who was his first wife? Blah blah blah. That was a tricky one."

https://screenrant.com/breaking-bad-better-call-saul-vince-gilligan-plot-hole/

I think they've probably decided to get around it by just not dealing with it one way or the other. It could have happened. The wife who slept with Chet could have been the second one, Jimmy could have had a stepfather, she could have also slept with him at some earlier point. There's nothing to indicate it but also nothing to definitively preclude it. All in all it's a minor issue anyway.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

get this... what if instead of a really dumb and convoluted plan to build a meth lab under a laundromat in a populated area, they used the giant desert prison warehouse

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fellatio del Toro posted:

get this... what if instead of a really dumb and convoluted plan to build a meth lab under a laundromat in a populated area, they used the giant desert prison warehouse

Gus needs to put the lab in a place where it can avoid scrutiny and go undetected during government inspections. That's the whole reason he decides on the laundromat. It provides perfect cover for the meth lab activities while being in a completely unsuspicious location in the middle of a metro area. No one would ever think of looking there. It's hiding in plain sight, just like Gus.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

He needs a place that its not suspicious for a lot of truck traffic.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah if I have any complaint about this show it's that Nacho probably has less scenes than the vet at this point

btw the vet is very good

e: to expand on this, I think over time Kim supplanted Nacho as "third main character", it's easy to forget that she doesn't do much in the first couple seasons and is mostly there as purely part of Jimmy's side of the story. I don't wanna make a call on what I'd rather have seen because Kim is probably my favorite part of the show at this point, but as she got the spotlight more and more it had to push someone else out, and it wasn't gonna be Jimmy or Mike.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 15, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

If he selects the rake as something worthy of a story, I anticipate it's something out of the norm.

If Mike's story is smooth sailing and never comes back around to anything involving Jimmy, I'll concede it was a big waste of time.
Mike isn't the rake. Mike is fine. The superlab is the rake. The superlab isn't going to have any sort of character development or twists or anything. It's going to be pure procedure to a boring known end.

I liked Mike Doing Stuff a lot more when he was doing his own stuff, and the drama was about him and his family. For a few episodes now the Stuff Mike has been Doing is for a very well understood end (the superlab) that's more or less irrelevant to his character.

The plot arc someone sketched about drama with the worker leading to Mike getting deeper into the criminal world would be a fine story for Mike, but there's plenty of ways he could be driven to that without focusing so exclusively on the procedure of building a thing we've seen before.

Part of it might be how I feel like I'm expected to feel. Like the show's going "Superlab! Isn't that cool!" Which it really isn't to me, so I have kind of a knee-jerk annoyance at the whole thing.

And again, this is coming from someone who's appreciated Mike in this show so far. I know there's general anti-Mike sentiment, which I get but don't really feel myself, but personally I think anti-superlab sentiment is its own thing.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I liked the monologue because Giancarlo Esposito is great and did a great job.

I like that we are seeing the Superlab be constructed because there is a Superlab in Breaking Bad and that's an improbable thing to exist, so the question of how it came to exist is interesting, and the scenes in which we have found out more about how it came to exist are interesting.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
- the parts with the superlab also feature Mike

- there were also only 2 scenes about the construction of the superlab.. its not like we've been watching scene after scene of them digging

- gus monologue started good but got a bit corny when he said that he hunted and tortured an animal

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the writers were reading some message board while Breaking Bad was on where people were like "no way could you have a secret lab like that" and they were like "oh yeah? watch this."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was under the impression Lalo would be a major character this season but we're down to 4 episodes left and we haven't even heard his name spoken yet.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Gus impotently waving his dick at a dying Hector by monologuing was a scene I really enjoyed personally. I get why people are complaining, but it didn't bother me at all.

I mean, in Breaking Bad, Gus literally turned into Terminator, anyway, so I don't think this is tonally inconsistent or too unsubtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was under the impression Lalo would be a major character this season but we're down to 4 episodes left and we haven't even heard his name spoken yet.

I'm gonna be cranky if his intro is literally just a last-episode cliffhanger considering the way Vince Gilligan hyped it.