Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rhyno posted:

Oh, you also live in Indiana?

NoVA.

Edit: the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There were a couple times this past winter that went from single digits to 50+ within a couple days. I just want it to pick a drat climate zone and stay there.

Yeah we have had some of the most extreme wishy washy type weather in my life these last few years. I mean, I've spent my entire life here but it's getting worse and worse every year like you mentioned. Monday mid 60s, rain Tuesday, 6 inches of snow Wednesday, back to sunny and mid 60s again Thursday, freezing rain Friday, etc type poo poo.

It's so hard to plan your tires around that kind of weather unless you don't mind swapping tires out twice a week. I did install some steeda jacking rails on my FoST though so it's an incredibly easy and fast process to swap the tires out but stikk, who wants to be doing that all the time.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Firehawks do pretty well in sub 50 degree weather. I think as long as you're not running 200tw "track" style summer tires, you are probably fine outside of actual snow/slush. Im dailying on Hankook RS-4s now, so I will probably be swapping into winters fairly early.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GTI bros - I want lighting package lights on my car, any decent aftermarket offerings? Having LED fog lights and halogen headlights is an affront to humanity.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

a mysterious cloak posted:

GTI bros - I want lighting package lights on my car, any decent aftermarket offerings? Having LED fog lights and halogen headlights is an affront to humanity.

Ed's reps are the way to go.
https://www.becautoparts.com/products/golf-7-hid-headlights-gti-style

Can also get the new 7.5 version
https://www.becautoparts.com/collections/headlights/products/2018-vw-gti-replica-hid-led-headlights

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ah, cool. Thanks! I've got a 2017 so the 7.5s won't fit.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Ah, cool. Thanks! I've got a 2017 so the 7.5s won't fit.

The 7.5 R style will work!
https://www.becautoparts.com/collec...twage-all-track

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oooooh, I do like those...

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
All this talk of improvements to the Fiesta being tangible aren't helping my desire to reset and order a 2019 so I can hop into a refined version of my damaged 2014, despite it making little financial sense to. I'm glad you're enjoying your new one, SeaGoatSupreme.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its a fiesta

its about as cheap as it possibly could be for a fun car

you should get another one

rejoin the tiny partycar horde

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Duct tape two of them together and you’ll have a Focus

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

pr0craztinazn posted:

All this talk of improvements to the Fiesta being tangible aren't helping my desire to reset and order a 2019 so I can hop into a refined version of my damaged 2014, despite it making little financial sense to. I'm glad you're enjoying your new one, SeaGoatSupreme.

If there's a new one nearby, take it for a test drive and give it the beans. It's very composed in comparison to an older one.

It's a goddamn riot on a road near me, "35" through the entire thing, but it's twisty and there isn't a place for a cop to sit.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's a goddamn riot on a road near me, "35" through the entire thing

Whoa whoa whoa, tone it down Mr. Evel Knievel. Not everyone is Superman. I don't think most people are trying to rip a hole in the fabric of space time. That's just irresponsible dude.

Of course it's a goddamn riot, you're 5mph from creating a black hole. Kids these days.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thinkin about thos Clubsport S mufflers

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Cracked my tailbone a few weeks ago and have been riding around on a memory foam rear end pad for a while - went to lunch without it today and holy crap you forget how much driving feel you get from your butt.

drat you, fragile coccyx :arghfist:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

thinkin about thos Clubsport S mufflers

just get a dp

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
might gently caress around and buy a honda civic with a turbo. the Type R seems a little too stupid though

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If you want to seem less stupid, get the 2 liter turbo accord. Makes more torque than the type r with just a tune.

If you want to be less stupid, yeah the civic si is a fantastic machine.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I have a new Si turbo and it may be the best car I've owned, absolutely drive one.

I somehow managed this the other day on a 100mi trip:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Voltage posted:

I have a new Si turbo and it may be the best car I've owned, absolutely drive one.

I somehow managed this the other day on a 100mi trip:

What are the major differences between the Si and Type R besides power and wings?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If you want to seem less stupid, get the 2 liter turbo accord. Makes more torque than the type r with just a tune.

If you want to be less stupid, yeah the civic si is a fantastic machine.

The Accord uses pretty much the same motor as the Type-R. There are some small differences (oil baffle, pistons, cams, some sensors), but the power delivery difference pretty much comes down to different turbos.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Our Accord here in NZ is a 3.5litre NA V6. I wish they'd just give us the jdm models we drive on the same side of the road

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Solus posted:

Our Accord here in NZ is a 3.5litre NA V6. I wish they'd just give us the jdm models we drive on the same side of the road

That's because they're still selling the old model here, or at least it's still for sale - the only large sedan that sells in any volume is the Camry and that only because of the taxi market.

We also don't get any interesting Civic models below the Type R - you can get a turbo but it isn't the higher output version and only comes with the CVT.

e. We also don't get the turbo Mazda 6, only the diesel with an insane price tag attached (the non-fleet spec ones costs as much as a CX-9) :(

dissss fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 14, 2018

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

dissss posted:

That's because they're still selling the old model here, or at least it's still for sale - the only large sedan that sells in any volume is the Camry and that only because of the taxi market.

We also don't get any interesting Civic models below the Type R - you can get a turbo but it isn't the higher output version and only comes with the CVT.

e. We also don't get the turbo Mazda 6, only the diesel with an insane price tag attached (the non-fleet spec ones costs as much as a CX-9) :(

Our model selection when it comes to new Japanese cars can be pretty hit/miss surprisingly, but it also comes down to customer factors. Either you've got enough money to buy new, which means you'll buy european (Judging by my time working in Auckland last year) or you're price conscious so you go buy a JDM import a few early old in mint condition for 1/2 the price.

Which is annoying because the new Civic hatchback is perfect in every way, but I was pissed as well when I found out they only sell the turbo model with CVT here. Please tell me Japan got the manual version at least...

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Rhyno posted:

What are the major differences between the Si and Type R besides power and wings?

The Si comes in both Coupe and Sedan, the latter of which I'll be picking up later in the year, while the Type R is hatchback only.
I've not driven both, however from what I've read of the Type R, the general noise level in the cabin in the Type R is higher, but I feel like that's expected given the focus of the car.
"The Type R suspension is more purpose-oriented, with the primary purpose being to perform well on a track. The front suspension features a dual axis strut arrangement with an anti-roll bar, while the rear is multi-link with an anti-roll bar. Adaptive dampers are fitted at the front and rear." ( https://www.autobytel.com/sedans/car-buying-guides/2018-honda-civic-si-vs-2018-honda-civic-type-r-which-is-for-you-132801/ )
The brakes are also beefed up on the Type R, they're great on the Si, but better on the Type R.
Both have an LSD, though I don't recall exactly what makes the one in the Type R different.

Even though I've not driven a Type R, it's too much for me and I find I'd lose my license if I got that or a Golf R. At least with the Si I can keep myself in check a little bit.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 15, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Even though I've not driven a Type R, it's too much for me and I find I'd lose my license if I got that or a Golf R.
With a Golf R you would be classified as an adult, so you'd probably be fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jomo posted:

Either you've got enough money to buy lease new, which means you'll buy european (Judging by my time working in Auckland last year) or you're price conscious so you go buy a JDM import a few early old in mint condition for 1/2 the price.

Which is annoying because the new Civic hatchback is perfect in every way, but I was pissed as well when I found out they only sell the turbo model with CVT here. Please tell me Japan got the manual version at least...

Fixed that for you.

No one is buying new Euros

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Jomo posted:

Our model selection when it comes to new Japanese cars can be pretty hit/miss surprisingly, but it also comes down to customer factors. Either you've got enough money to buy new, which means you'll buy european (Judging by my time working in Auckland last year) or you're price conscious so you go buy a JDM import a few early old in mint condition for 1/2 the price.

Gonna be honest, I just took the RS Civic out for a test drive qnd despite being CVT, when you drop a gear with the paddles it fuckin goes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the SI you don't get people shouting "IT'S A GUNDAAAAAAAM" everywhere you go

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Solus posted:

Gonna be honest, I just took the RS Civic out for a test drive qnd despite being CVT, when you drop a gear with the paddles it fuckin goes

An infinitesimally small gear?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 15, 2018

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

MetaJew posted:

An infinitesimally small gear?

It's got a sport mode and paddles and it's fun :smith: (When using it it becomes a 7 speed gearbox because technology is wild. It's probably not as great as a manual but it felt pretty cool)

Solus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 15, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Solus posted:

It's got a sport mode and paddles and it's fun :smith: (When using it it becomes a 7 speed gearbox because technology is wild. It's probably not as great as a manual but it felt pretty cool)

You mean it just ups the revs?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You mean it just ups the revs?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Please do not ridicule foreigners that don't have the advantage of a transmission built by Manuel.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Didn't say I knew how it worked. Just said it felt fun to use.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It is fun when you hit the paddle thingies

:goonsay: "YOU MEAN THE HARBLGARBL"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what if... i had a CVT... but without any of the advantages of the CVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what if... i had a CVT... but without any of the advantages of the CVT but I can turn it into a regular CVT when I'm screwing around on a mountain road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ftfy

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Buy a Type R so I can finally race someone in one. None of them in town ever want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what if... i had a CVT... but without any of the advantages of the CVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is most of Nissans lineup and it upsets me greatly